Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
As promised a SPOLIER heavy look at the Empire DOS Issue, needless to say those 'appendices' are more detailed then I remeber...
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 7:02pm

Post #201 of 253 (697 views)
Shortcut
Being British [In reply to] Can't Post

I can assure you (judging my friends) it is rarer to meet someone who dosen't swear than someone who does, we aren't at all like Downtown Abbey I ca assure you.

Martin Freeman swears in virtually every artilce I've seen him in, but he's a nice bloke so I'll forgive him.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 27 2013, 7:04pm

Post #202 of 253 (686 views)
Shortcut
I beg to differ.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know a lot of Americans are more sensitive about this - I always laugh when I see people talking about "f bombs" but it's not really an issue for most British people.

And I'd hope most British people would as well. It's not about being sensitive, it's the fact it's not needed. I'm disgusted by people's language in public. And to keep it on topic (Wink) I think they should have edited the strong language out. Surely EMPIRE is a family magazine?

Smile

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 7:04pm

Post #203 of 253 (714 views)
Shortcut
Forget Sinister...I can't wait to see what the Tolkien estate thinks of these films [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see Christopher Tolkine being too happy with his childhood being tampered with so dramtically...

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 7:09pm

Post #204 of 253 (690 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I am more than happy to move on!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 7:11pm

Post #205 of 253 (690 views)
Shortcut
I'm not entirely sure what age EMPIRE is aimed at [In reply to] Can't Post

A large proportion of there content is on 'Blockbuster' films, but they cover all sorts including family films (The Pixar films are often title articles) but there main audience seems to be 20-40 years old males (according to a poll they did a couple of years ago), and they do feature alot of coarse content (and occasionally quite provoactive imagery) so I guess its up to parentens if they buy it or not. I have been a reader for about six years now (started when I was 15-about the right age IMO), and I'm still not sure who its aimed at.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 27 2013, 7:53pm

Post #206 of 253 (696 views)
Shortcut
My guess is he won't see them [In reply to] Can't Post

His father sold the rights decades ago, so the movies have little impact on the Estate. I think Christopher will stay above the controversy.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2013, 8:35pm

Post #207 of 253 (628 views)
Shortcut
No resentment here, im with the british on this matter [In reply to] Can't Post

nor discomfort! Most of the time, i find it hilarious or funny the way people use cursing and swering words. Its an art all of its own.Wink

I dont mind it at all. Actually, the f bombs martin dropped in that conference are very well placed i think. He sure knows the proper timing for them ...

The sopranos crew's foul deliveries were very humorous as well.

Malickfan : i would love to read or hear his thoughts on the hobbit films when they are done...i Suspect it could be the same complaints...turning it into action movies for teenagers and the loss of that quaility that is very tolkienesque etc...

Arithmancer : I can but they are more of the stuff of fanzines found at old book stores or dusty compilations at a dark corner of an old manor or convent ; and amateur, fan fiction ive read over the years. Sadly i have not encountered much of literature that is like what you described. I agree there isnt much.

However, the point remains that i find boyens feminine agenda to be cheap and disrespectfull of Tolkiens work. For the reasons she states for the change and the expanded role they are giving tauriel and the "what" and how she is shown...

A subdued smaller roler as the butler was fine by me.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 10:11pm

Post #208 of 253 (623 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm not American, but British [In reply to] Can't Post

I am aware of plenty of British actors who do not swear when interviewed. (I also know a few experienced actors personally, and they rarely swear.)

It's not exactly an 'issue' with me, particularly when used in an appropriate context – to stress something in a particular way, or in a humorous sense, for example. But when it is used as a 'nothing' word in a sentence, it just makes the speaker sound stupid.

In Reply To
But the entire British acting fraternity swear like troopers (though Martin is in a class of his own!)

There was a funny report by someone in the audience at Ian McKellen's sitcom Vicious who said the sight of Gandalf swearing when he fluffed his lines caused general hilarity.

I know a lot of Americans are more sensitive about this - I always laugh when I see people talking about "f bombs" but it's not really an issue for most British people.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 27 2013, 10:16pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 10:47pm

Post #209 of 253 (594 views)
Shortcut
I work in publishing (in Britain), and seldom meet people who swear [In reply to] Can't Post

In 'ordinary' life, I've found that people of my acquaintance do it occasionally, but only to make a point of some sort (e.g. in jest, anger, frustration and so on). Swearing looses impact if it is used to stress nothing and is just randomly inserted into a sentence (in the way it has been in this article).

In Reply To
I can assure you (judging my friends) it is rarer to meet someone who dosen't swear than someone who does, we aren't at all like Downtown Abbey I ca assure you.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 27 2013, 10:51pm

Post #210 of 253 (596 views)
Shortcut
More than halved Thranduil's age [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They've almost halved is estimated age. Wouldn't that make him the same age as Arwen by the time of The Hobbit? Unimpressed ...

I've got sources that put Thranduil's birth in the First Age, while Arwen was born in TA 241. On the other hand, I've read conflicting ages for Tauriel (Lilly stated that she was 600 years old, newer information pegs her as 300), so can we even consider this accurate in terms of Jackson's film-universe?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 11:06pm

Post #211 of 253 (621 views)
Shortcut
One bad turn deserves another - not from any point of view [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a number of themes underlying the criticism on this board. I am not going to repeat the one concerning what some tell you about individuals rather than the movies.

One is that what we have seen so far is a fall from grace after the LOTR movies. This has been dealt with recently by a long standing member who indicated those films drew the same kind of criticisms that the current series are. Personally whilst I enjoy the original set they do not age well for me particularly after re reading the LOTR.

Adults are holding up a charming little book for seven year olds as some astonishing master piece. My generation read it after the LOTR and found it valuable as a source and we read it to our children and nothing more. The authors literary executor has a proportionate view of the book and the author came to dislike it . Those are the facts which produce an interesting dichotomy..

On to the movies Peter Jackson makes movies in a particular way and his first series are in high up in the all time grossing history. Their style and content is not to every ones liking. He currently favours heavy use of CGI and will include moments of charm and subtlety and the vulgar and obvious. I did not enjoy the stone giants portrayal as Transformers. However the developing story arcs of Bilbo,Thorin and Gandalf with co equivalent weighting is of great interest to me and I am enjoying seeing how he tackles moments in the Hobbit which are seriously at odds with more developed notions in the LOTR and UT.

You clearly dislike the whole business I am sorry you get nothing from it.

Your remarks about Peter Jackson. New Zealand is like a huge village everybody knows everybody. Restaurants, hotels, boutique bed and breakfasts have all looked after the cast and the crew the feedback and anecdotes whether offered by those for or against the movies point to the same kind of profiling. Life produces curious happenstances and I have met people close to both Tolkien and Jackson I think the former would feel there is far to much orc talk about those who try re envision his work and the latter would never respond with any thing other than self deprecation and get on with the task at hand. He has a sense of humour rather like my less than flattering photo in a chair from Beorn's house.

and now dear reader we must move on in the story Bilbo must rescue the grumpy Dwarves again.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 1:30am

Post #212 of 253 (559 views)
Shortcut
These were my exact words. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Perhaps Thrain's madness was a battle madness (as his grief in the book drove him near), and goes into a frenzy of orc killing rushes alone into Moria itself. There he continues his killing. He is within when a wounded Azog is brought through, and he pursues the orcs carrying him further into Moria with the intent of slaying. Only to behold The Balrog. He is paralyzed with terror by the presence of Durin's Bane, and the orcs come fearfully forward and take him as hapless prisoner as he stands petrified."

Madness is mentioned, however not a madness resulting from The Balrog. The madness was one of grief and rage, as I have suggested at least, and it is that which drives him slaying orcs into Moria itself, much as Feanor got ahead of his vanguard in his fury to breach Angband.

What followed after was a comment on a paralysis of fear. Though it would not any great strecth for a dwarf, alone and without friends, faced with the menace of Durin's Bane to succumb to a temporary madness, I merely suggest that Thrain could easily have been overwhelmed enough to have been siezed before properly digesting what was happening. If he drops his weapon like Legolas did, covers his face like Gimli did and goes grey like Dain did, he should be sufficiently mortified for an easy capture.

In Reply To
not paralyzed with fear in earlier posts, and nobody entered after Dain slew Azog at the gate per book canon, Not saying that PJ could overlook that in light of the fact in the film that Azog survived, but it seems unlikely. If memory serves as well, the dwarves nearly lost, but for reinforcements late in the day which turned the tideTheres nothing to connect the Balrog with Dol Guldur either.

Now, how can the orcs be defeated, if they still controlled Moria?! PJ never explained where the Dwarves went after the Battle... I assume they continued being nomads? Hopefully this will be explained in either the EE or in DOS.

The dwarves sacked many goblin strongholds in the Misty Mountains during the 5+ year Goblin/Dwarf war(Mount Gundabad was the capitol) if I recall correctly culminating in the Battle of Annulzibar(sp?), where 3/4+ of the Misty Moutain Goblins were slain and the fallen dwarves were so great in number they burned them as opposed to the customary entombment or burial. Afterwards, the fallen from the battle were referred to as being a "burned dwarf" as a sign of deference or respect. To be sure many of the surviving goblins fled into Moria for sanctuary under the protection of the balrog and many survivors fled south.

There were some nomadic dwarves surely, but most lived in settlements like the Blue mountains or the Iron hills

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 1:39am

Post #213 of 253 (555 views)
Shortcut
Most of the orcs fled south, not into Moria. Most of those who stood at the gate were slain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog thought, at the last upon realization of his routing, to flee back to, as you say, the protection provided by The Balrog's presence, but he never made it. Nonetheless, the Demon had come near to the gate, and Dain saw him and was struck with terror. Thrain was so confident after the victory that he indeed wished to reclaim Moria, and it was at that point that Dain declared categorically that this would and could not happen, for Durin's Bane still dwelt within, and remained a force beyond the power and reckoning of dwarves.

As to the Balrog's connection to Dol Guldur, no, he was no lesser servant of Sauron, but it was almost certainly the growing malice of Sauron and his ill will towards the dwarves and his expanding power and intentions of harm for all his foes that woke The Balrog, even if it was the Dwarves who unwittingly unleashed it. Gandalf was worried of Sauron seeking alliance with Smaug. In the novel, the Wise do not yet know the nature of Durin's Bane, but if they had, it is certain that there would have been further worry, for there can be no doubt that Sauron, if he were willing to try to coax the aid of a dragon, would certainly have endeavored to acquire aid from the demon of Moria, probably the only other known evil entity remaining in Middle-Earth aside from Sauron himself who might have been willing and able to challange the power of The Lady of Lothlorien and of The White Ring, for Balrogs had great power both of arms and of sorcery, and were far older than The High Elves, and feared them not and terrified and even slew them, unlike the Nazgul who found the Noldor and their holy enhancement intimidating.

In Reply To
not paralyzed with fear in earlier posts, and nobody entered after Dain slew Azog at the gate per book canon, Not saying that PJ could overlook that in light of the fact in the film that Azog survived, but it seems unlikely. If memory serves as well, the dwarves nearly lost, but for reinforcements late in the day which turned the tideTheres nothing to connect the Balrog with Dol Guldur either.

Now, how can the orcs be defeated, if they still controlled Moria?! PJ never explained where the Dwarves went after the Battle... I assume they continued being nomads? Hopefully this will be explained in either the EE or in DOS.

The dwarves sacked many goblin strongholds in the Misty Mountains during the 5+ year Goblin/Dwarf war(Mount Gundabad was the capitol) if I recall correctly culminating in the Battle of Annulzibar(sp?), where 3/4+ of the Misty Moutain Goblins were slain and the fallen dwarves were so great in number they burned them as opposed to the customary entombment or burial. Afterwards, the fallen from the battle were referred to as being a "burned dwarf" as a sign of deference or respect. To be sure many of the surviving goblins fled into Moria for sanctuary under the protection of the balrog and many survivors fled south.

There were some nomadic dwarves surely, but most lived in settlements like the Blue mountains or the Iron hills

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 1:52am

Post #214 of 253 (557 views)
Shortcut
Consistincey and historical value among other things. In this film about Durin's heirs, [In reply to] Can't Post

where Durin's name, line, folk, beard and ass are mentioned half a dozen times, it seems improper to completely leave out any mention of Durin's Bane, particular when he is going to show up in a MASSIVELY iconic and pivotal way in film VI of this now sextet/heptalogy series.

Moria is mentioned as the dwarves sacred hall in the films. It is also said to have been long abandoned. It is worth the film audience knowing why. The Balrog slew Durin and drove his people from Moria. It is a fact that is key to all of Dwarven history, as it is probably the single most devestating event suffered by the dwarves since the First Age and possibly ever. The Balrog did what Sauron had long desired but been unable to achieve from without, and thus begins the true tale of the exile of The Dwarves and the reason for the founding of Erebor. And it too was tied to Sauron's Malice and the greatest of The Seven Rings. The Balrog is the reason orcs were able to take what they never before dared draw near, The Kingdom of Khazad-Dum. The Balrog is what kept the dwarves from coming back.

And now there is the matter of consistency. In Fellowship, in the movies as oppossed to the novels, The Wise KNOW there is a Demon in Moria. It is the Reason Saruman taunts Gandalf and drives him thither, and it is the reason Gandalf fears to go. The Dwarves awoke a terror in ancient times, and the terror still lorded over Moria. Making the logical and factual tie in to The Balrog now, the great terror of Durin's people, the being which they feared above all others and the slayer of their foremost Ancestor-King, will greatly add to the significance of what Gandalf is to face in Fellowship. As importantly, it grounds that event in history. If we get to Moria after seeing the place brought to the foreground for multiple scenes in these Hobbit movies without ever getting a hint that a demon dwells within, it will seem VERY strange, to the point of being akin to a contrived, over convienient boss battle, when Fellowship rolls around and suddenly there is all this noise and concern about a near twenty foot, fire sword wielding, flame whip conjouring shadow demon who evidently is the most terrible thing in Moria but whom we never heard about having anything to do with the place when it kept being brought up before.

Also, the movie Visual Companion for An Unexected jy mentions the Balrog as the original evcitor of The Dwarves from Moria. . . and there is the matter of the flame behind the gate as Azog is dragged off.

In Reply To
I understand that the Balrog was given as an explanation in the books, I am not debating that.

The movie shows a rampage, yes. This demoralizes the leaderless Orcs and they flee deep inside Moria. (Just as Azog's defeat of Thror before threatened to turn the battle into a rout of the Dwarves, before Thorin removed him from the combat and rallied his army.) It is indeed hopeless for the orcs at this point to consider a sortie to re-engage and defeat the Dwarf army, and even if it is not, there is not a leader with the nerve to make that risky call.

The Dwarves for their part, count their losses, dispose of their dead, and tend to their wounded. Having done so, they have the choice to enter the mines and engage the Orcs there again the following day (a different proposition than fighting them in the open, with or without a Balrog thrown into the mix) or to leave. They choose the latter, and given their heavy losses, it is a reasonable choice. From what is said in the film, it seems it is at this point that they decide to settle elsewhere, as Balin credits Thorin with having "done honorably" by his people by building for them a new life in this new place. (I realize this is also a departure from the book timeline, like I indicated, I am discussing the events as they are sketched out by AUJ, where in my opinion they do hang together).

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jun 28 2013, 1:59am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 3:58am

Post #215 of 253 (541 views)
Shortcut
Please give me that [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a nice solid mention as you and I have talked about. It really puts the cherry on top of both movies as far as the Dwarven History goes.

I just want to add that I love the history of the Balrogs and how you lay it out.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 5:03am

Post #216 of 253 (517 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the first, [In reply to] Can't Post

and my thanks to you on the last Smile.

I don't need them to go overboard, and I realize that this is not a movie about the Balrog. It is, however, largely about the race, House, line and heirs of Durin, whose eponomys reincarnation the Balrog slew in Moria. Indeed, Moria isn't really Moria without The Balrog, literally, as the Elves renamed it after it became a place of terror which even the Elves of Lothlorien were daunted by, many of them fleeing The Golden Wood.

From a historical and dramatic standpoint, it would be a real waste of opportunity to keep going back to Moria and give no hint of The Demon within who transformed it, single handedly, into the hell of dread that it became. And then there is the story. To keep showing The East Gate and Moria, and not give any mention of Demons, and then fast forward to a Fellowship where Gandalf worries that Balin probably came to a bad end because returning to Moria was probably a bad idea, and where we see him full of concern over his knowledge of the ancient Demon that lairs their. . . it becomes a non sequiter, a complete Wtf and where the hell did this menace come from situation.

"Hey, remember Moria where all the bad things happen. Well, its back and badder than ever because. .. now there is a dreadful demon living there, who has always been there but whom you did not know about! Bet you didna see that coming! Did you?"

"Well, no we didn't, because in all the times you presented it and went on about it you never mentioned demons in connection with it. .. actually it kinda of makes us feel like you just pulled this evil being out of your bum to make a dramatic fight scene for old Gandalf." Crazy lol

In Reply To
Just a nice solid mention as you and I have talked about. It really puts the cherry on top of both movies as far as the Dwarven History goes.

I just want to add that I love the history of the Balrogs and how you lay it out.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 5:29am

Post #217 of 253 (535 views)
Shortcut
Bingo [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I think it adds to this movie in that you understand why they didn't go after Moria and it does add something to the Moria sequence in Fellowship. Movie viewers need to know the importance of the Balrog to both and I think it would make them appreciate it as much as you and I do.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jun 28 2013, 5:31am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 28 2013, 8:17am

Post #218 of 253 (558 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the dates :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

(I didn't check yesterday), but I always place Thranduil somewhere between 5000-6000-7000 years old. Though his age will never be mentioned in the films, I hope this age doesn't become "film canon". Since it was the author of the article who mentioned Thranduil's age (and not Pace or Jackson), I'm hoping they've got it wrong (they don't really seem to have a very high appreciation for the book anyway).

It's just a needless change.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jun 28 2013, 8:22am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 10:15am

Post #219 of 253 (475 views)
Shortcut
Hear, Hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unimpressed

In Reply To

In Reply To

And I'd hope most British people would as well. It's not about being sensitive, it's the fact it's not needed. I'm disgusted by people's language in public. And to keep it on topic (Wink) I think they should have edited the strong language out. Surely EMPIRE is a family magazine?

Smile

I'm not offended by the occasional expletive in a tense situation, but when you hear people littering their conversations with the F word almost every other word,...Unimpressed

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 11:04am

Post #220 of 253 (476 views)
Shortcut
indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

''There are a number of themes underlying the criticism on this board. I am not going to repeat the one concerning what some tell you about individuals rather than the movies''.

I always take this into account before I post.

''Adults are holding up a charming little book for seven year olds as some astonishing master piece. My generation read it after the LOTR and found it valuable as a source and we read it to our children and nothing more.''

The fact that some 'adults' intuitive response and appreciation of the book beyond a certain generations (supposed )response to the book, says more about the sensibilities and capacity for nuanced reading of the 'adults' in question, than you give credit for. The fact that certain 'adults' dont find the book trite, nor the author a 'pedant' (quoting you) is a testimony they have retained their childlike imagination and its also a rejection of some so called academics who have denigrated Tolkien as being literature not worthy of consideration for decades.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 11:13am

Post #221 of 253 (463 views)
Shortcut
What The Frack? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aware people could fracking drop the frack bomb too much. How is that even fracking possible? It's a word that is just so versatile. I, you, he, she, it, we, they frack(s). What's not to love? Wink
On a serious note THANK YOU for the scans, it's an excellent fracking (snicker) Tongue read while waiting for the next vlog that was supposed to be the frack out "soon".

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jun 28 2013, 11:20am)

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 12:31pm

Post #222 of 253 (440 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha [In reply to] Can't Post

And continuing this theme, here is Ian McKellen showing his support for an anti-homophobia movement called WTFNZ:

http://www.gayexpress.co.nz/...ows-support-for-wtf/

Sorry for any offence by the way Glorfindela, my post wasn't really aimed at you, I was just making a general observation.

To get back on topic, Peter Jackson has just posted this picture saying Gandalf has now completed his work on The Hobbit;

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 1:06pm

Post #223 of 253 (425 views)
Shortcut
No offence taken [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just pointing out that using swear words as 'nothing' words, as in the article, make the people using such words sound like annoying idiots (to me). I've no objection to swearing on 'moral' grounds, though – that wasn't my gripe.

I'm not sure why that excellent-sounding organisation uses the 'f' word in its campaign. Perhaps the people running it think it will make people take notice of it due to its 'shock' value (or something like that), though it doesn't sound particularly shocking – probably because that word has lost any 'shock' value it had due to overuse.

In Reply To
And continuing this theme, here is Ian McKellen showing his support for an anti-homophobia movement called WTFNZ:

http://www.gayexpress.co.nz/...ows-support-for-wtf/

Sorry for any offence by the way Glorfindela, my post wasn't really aimed at you, I was just making a general observation.

To get back on topic, Peter Jackson has just posted this picture saying Gandalf has now completed his work on The Hobbit;

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 28 2013, 1:08pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 28 2013, 1:27pm

Post #224 of 253 (420 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure which is worse ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone using the f bomb, or the discussion on fracking in the UK. Both are rather sensitive issues. Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 2:38pm

Post #225 of 253 (436 views)
Shortcut
No firm evidence that he was born in the First Age [In reply to] Can't Post

So far as I am aware, the earliest reference to Thranduil is in Appendix B of LOTR, in the introductory comments about the Second Age where it states: In the beginning of this age many of the High Elves still remained. Most of these dwelt in Lindon west of the Ered Luin; but before the building of the Barad-dur many of the Sindar passed eastward. and some established realms in the forests far away. where their people were mostly Silvan Elves. Thranduil, king in the north of Greenwood the Great, was one of these." People who claim that he was born in the First Age are simply guessing that that is so, since nowhere does Tolkien say so. However, Sauron began the building of the Barad-Dur in 1000 S.A. which means that Thranduil must have been alive before this point. Thus, he was at the very least 5500 by the time of the War of the Ring (and 60 years younger than that at the time of The Hobbit).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.