Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay, time to back down

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Jun 27 2013, 11:25am

Post #1 of 12 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Okay, time to back down Can't Post

AUJ had plenty of changes. Sure, a lot of them didn't work, but I feel like most of the changes done to AUJ were of good intention. I knew I was watching The Hobbit. (You guys may disagree). Typically with adaptations, I don't care how much they deviate from the book as long as it works.
However, I'm pretty worried about the next two films. It seems like PJ is just changing things for the fun of it. Really? "Battle of nine armies?" Come on. Read his article in Empire magazine. These are not changes with good intent. It seems almost gratuitous. I never thought I'd be in this camp. But here, I agree with all you purists. Crazy

(This post was edited by GiantMushroomBear on Jun 27 2013, 11:26am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 11:29am

Post #2 of 12 (608 views)
Shortcut
He was joking [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly his comments about the additional armies should be taken in jest. Orcs, Wargs, Men, Elves and Dwarves. With the exception of Eagles and Bats (not really deviating there, and they're more supplementary forces than armies), what else can he add?

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 27 2013, 11:37am

Post #3 of 12 (547 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you should be too worried about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's merely joking at the possibility of it. If i remember right, he's said stuff like this before in a bit of a humouristic way, not in an actual "It'll be like this" way.

Let's see, we have (correct me if i'm wrong):
-The men of Laketown
-The elves of Mirkwood
-The dwarves
-Goblins and orcs
-Animals (Eagles, boars, bats, perhaps Beorn counts as this aswell)

I think what PJ's doing, is that he's counting all these different things as a seperate army (for example, goblins being a seperate army than orcs, eagles being a seperate army than bats, etc). So while he may make it sound like there's more than 5 armies, i think they will still call it the Battle of Five Armies regardless.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 11:51am

Post #4 of 12 (507 views)
Shortcut
what else can he add? Zombies [In reply to] Can't Post

come to mind, or The Necromancers Nazgul. Mad

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jun 27 2013, 11:54am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2013, 11:57am

Post #5 of 12 (510 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting the same feeling. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that he could or would actually change it to the Battle of Nine Armies (clearly he's joking). But there's also his quote "This will probably get me struck off The One Ring party list but I am enjoying deviating from the book" It seems like he's being pretty flip about the whole thing, and not treating the original text, or Tolkien for that matter, with the reverence that he (they) had with LotR.

I'm cerainly no purist, and i was looking forward to them adding stuff from the appendices before AUJ came out. But it seems like they've gone a bit crazy with it, and are making changes for changes sake, for their own amusement.

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 27 2013, 11:57am

Post #6 of 12 (475 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for Aliens [In reply to] Can't Post

All from the Appendices, and in the spirit of Tolkien of course.

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 27 2013, 12:01pm

Post #7 of 12 (468 views)
Shortcut
PS [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, forget the Appendices now they've been abandoned and following the children's story is "no longer appropriate", they're from the Deviations.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2013, 12:26pm

Post #8 of 12 (434 views)
Shortcut
goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

Goblins in armour to avoid sunlight and establish a similar look to the FOTR Moria ones, I hope not, but I dont know. Oh and Dol Guldur forces perhapsCrazy

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 12:45pm

Post #9 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
The 'Orc' Army [In reply to] Can't Post

Could foreseeably include any kinds of Orcs and Goblins. It's still one army if they're under the overall command of Azog or Bolg.

Ffnir
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 2:09pm

Post #10 of 12 (344 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel will lead the ninja army ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 5:36pm

Post #11 of 12 (302 views)
Shortcut
Remember when... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Benedict Cumberpatch said the Necromancer was a character at the Battle of Five Armies??

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 6:33pm

Post #12 of 12 (259 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and now I wouldn't put it past PJ to do something like that.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly have no idea what to expect now.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.