Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Antony Sher cast as Thrain for DoS?

Shagrat
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 11:02am

Views: 1290
Shortcut
Antony Sher cast as Thrain for DoS? Can't Post

I was very intrigued to read the following passage in this month's Empire, seemingly revealing the casting of renowned actor Sir Antony Sher as Thrain:

"We will examine in some depth the relationship between Thorin and his father Thrain, who mysteriously absconded from the battlefield at the gates of Moria - a flashback being expanded by the splinter unit on Stage J, where Antony Sher's Thrain is side-stepping Orc blows."

If this is indeed THE Antony Sher - and I can't see why Empire would mention him otherwise - then this is certainly big news. It hints at a sizable role for Thrain in this film given Sher's reputation. Furthermore, he is a brilliant actor. With all due respect to Mike Mizrahi and/or Thomas Robins, it suggests that the role of Thrain will now be extremely demanding. Of course, it creates a slight inconsistency with AUJ, but I'm very excited to think of how big the role will be now and what an actor of Sher's calibre can bring to it. With the mention that the relationship between Thorin and Thrain will be examined 'in some depth' one wonders about the possibilities. And intriguingly, Richard Armitage has acted with Sher before:

http://thearmitageeffect.wordpress.com/tag/antony-sher/

Hopefully Empire aren't wrong (I doubt it), or there's another Antony Sher (a stuntman?) I've confused him with. But the fact they're seemingly re-filming the Azanulbizar sections suggests he has been recast. Does this mean they'll refilm the stuff with 'old' Thrain in Dol Guldur now? Who knows.

EDIT: I've found some corroborating evidence on twitter that it is indeed Sir Antony Sher:

The Bacchanals @thebacchanals 23 Jun: Lovely day at David Carnegie's 70th & then Globe On Screen TWELFTH NIGHT. But HOW did no one know Antony Sher was secretly in Wellington?!?

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 27 2013, 11:11am)

Subject User Time
Antony Sher cast as Thrain for DoS? Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 11:02am
    Sher is a great Shakespearean actor, ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse Jun 27 2013, 12:19pm
        Another thing Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 1:38pm
            I also wondered about this. ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse Jun 27 2013, 2:24pm
            Underneath all that prosthetic ... is anyone going to notice? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 27 2013, 3:22pm
                True Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 4:05pm
                Do we have a shot of Thrain in AUJ? // Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 6:45pm
                    Here's the clearest Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 6:48pm
                        Thank you! Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 6:52pm
                            No problem Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 6:56pm
                                I wonder why he was recast Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 7:01pm
                                    I don't think it will be Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 7:05pm
                                        I'll trust you Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 7:07pm
                                            You don't have to take my word for it Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 27 2013, 7:12pm
                                                Well, I'd still be taking someone's word for it Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 27 2013, 7:21pm
                                            Does the fact that.. glor Send a private message to glor Jun 28 2013, 5:21pm
                                                Sir, sir!? Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 29 2013, 6:37pm
            Youngish Thrain/Older Thrain IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Jun 27 2013, 8:33pm
    Very curious.. Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jun 27 2013, 8:36pm
    Really Interesting TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Jun 27 2013, 9:59pm
    He already looks exactly like thrain ! look thos pictures ! Fŕfnir Send a private message to Fŕfnir Jun 28 2013, 1:10am
        Hey they do look little similar TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Jun 28 2013, 4:49pm
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jun 28 2013, 4:25am
        Mike Mizrahi, I think. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 28 2013, 8:04am
            There's a mention of both Mizrahi and Jeffrey Thomas ... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jun 28 2013, 10:31am
                Thanks Eleniel :-) DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 28 2013, 1:29pm
                    Perhaps Mizrahi was unavailable for the new shoot Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 28 2013, 1:46pm
                        Perhaps Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 28 2013, 2:06pm
    An effect of 2 to 3 possible spoilers Michelle Johnston Jul 3 2013, 9:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.