Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did Entertainment Weekly give Peter Jackson the idea of just executive producing The Hobbit?...

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2007, 5:47am

Post #1 of 13 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Did Entertainment Weekly give Peter Jackson the idea of just executive producing The Hobbit?... Can't Post

From a Fall 2006 interview...

Do you think MGM or New Line will now actually call you with a concrete plan or offer?
I don't know. I'm not that concerned about it, because if they couldn't wait for us and somebody else was going to make The Hobbit, I'd still queue up and see it. Obviously, once a studio decides to make a movie, they're not necessarily going to wait around for a particular director to become free. So I guess I'm either going to get involved making it or I get to go and enjoy the film when it's released. We'll see.

What if you just signed on as an executive producer?
Well, that's a possibility. That actually hadn't occurred to me. See, you're thinking of things I haven't even thought of.

If so, I don't know if I should thank EW or whack them upside the head. Tongue

(Complete Q&A here)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 13 (747 views)
Shortcut
If you decide to wack them upside the head... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll stand next to you for support.

But really, I doubt there is any idea about this he hadn't already come up with. PJ is a savvy kind of guy.

For Gondor!

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 27 2007, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 13 (713 views)
Shortcut
What I still can't figure out..... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the TOTAL silence on the part of the LOTR actors regarding this. I mean, some of them were quite vocal in the days after the PJ letter to TORN last November. Ian was the one who volunteered a comment but I seem to remember a couple of the other actors (like Elijah) being approached by the media and them giving statements. I find it hard to believe that people like Andy Serkis and Hugo or Orlando haven't had any kind of a comment regarding this, even on their websites. ( I could be wrong aobut the websites but you think they'd be a bit more pubic.)

I think the actors are reluctant to speak to the media b/c this situation is so painful for them. They, better than anyone else, know how much power over a production an Executive Producer has. I mean, how often did Harvey Weinstein or Mark Ordesky show up on set? (Even if Ordesky was a Tolkine geek, how big of a role did he actually play?)

I think I'm going to start that skeptics thread now....

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2007, 9:07pm

Post #4 of 13 (703 views)
Shortcut
I think they're waiting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to hear the particulars, just like the rest of us. Once they start dishing out info on who the director is, cast calls, etc., then I think they'll put in their two cents.

I wonder if Christopher Lee will be willing to reprise his Saruman role... or if he still harbors hurt feelings about being left out of ROTK (I still think that was a big mistake).

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 12:11am

Post #5 of 13 (714 views)
Shortcut
I just hope.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Christopher Lee is still with us, both for the filming and the release. The man is pushing 90. And someone mentioned that in his cameo in The Golden Compass, he did look rather frail. So right now I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed, but assuming the worst.

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2007, 3:36am

Post #6 of 13 (689 views)
Shortcut
Well, he looked fine on Christmas Day... [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher's Christmas Day message

Wow... it certainly seems like he's got his hands full in the next year.

(btw... the role he hints at for Monstermania! is Mr. Price.)

(This post was edited by diedye on Dec 28 2007, 3:42am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2007, 5:34am

Post #7 of 13 (694 views)
Shortcut
It is a matter of timing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is the TOTAL silence on the part of the LOTR actors regarding this. I mean, some of them were quite vocal in the days after the PJ letter to TORN last November. Ian was the one who volunteered a comment but I seem to remember a couple of the other actors (like Elijah) being approached by the media and them giving statements. I find it hard to believe that people like Andy Serkis and Hugo or Orlando haven't had any kind of a comment regarding this, even on their websites. ( I could be wrong aobut the websites but you think they'd be a bit more pubic.)

I think the actors are reluctant to speak to the media b/c this situation is so painful for them. They, better than anyone else, know how much power over a production an Executive Producer has. I mean, how often did Harvey Weinstein or Mark Ordesky show up on set? (Even if Ordesky was a Tolkine geek, how big of a role did he actually play?)

Everyone's being cautious at this point. Do you really think there will be other writers, for example? Of course not! Bu they can't announce anything because they are on strike. As soon as the strike is over, the first announcement is that Peter, Phillippa and Fran are writing.

Peter ends principal photography of Bones on February, it is around then that he will meet with Shaye to start talking concrete things about what they are doing. By then, he'll have talked with Spielberg, and he'll have a clear schedule.

By Q3 of 2008 (at the latest) we'll already know that he is directing, some key casting decisions and things will be on full throttle towards the 2009 rolling date. Probably around the time Bones opens.

Don't forget how much money is at stake here. Don't forget Peter's reputation is at stake. Do not forget the power fans have had in the outcome of this matter.

Peter Jackson will direct. The cast will speak whan time is right. Bet at least McKellen has already been approeached for preliminary talks. Wink

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Rogash
Bree

Dec 28 2007, 11:08am

Post #8 of 13 (660 views)
Shortcut
I hope but... [In reply to] Can't Post

You forget that PJ direct Tintin so he direct Bilbo and after Tintin ?
Does Spielberg want this ?

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2007, 9:18pm

Post #9 of 13 (701 views)
Shortcut
Holiday season [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the "silence" has more to do with the holidays than anything. The announcement just came out, and the dust is settling. Nobody at this point probably knows what the creative hierarchy is going to look like, and no one in that process is probably going to start ironing things out until the holidays are over and everyone is back in work mode. I'm not sure how the writers strike affects this process. Are PJ and team union members? I thought the whole point of the New Zealand process was to avoid a lot of the Hollywood much (which couldn't be totally avoided obviously since New Line, etc. was involved).

In Reply To

So, where are we going?

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 10:44pm

Post #10 of 13 (651 views)
Shortcut
You know, that's a great question. [In reply to] Can't Post

As screenplay writers for LOTR, as well as their previous productions, are Our Three (as I call them) part of the WGA? If they are, OH BOY does this throw a monkey wrench into the works. I mean, I can't imagine them crossing the picket line. And I think that the brass at NL and MGM take this as a given and have not even brought up the strike to them, if they are. I think they'd rather not make the situation any more complicated as it is.

Honestly, I don't see how the writers' strike is going to end. The last time there was a strike in 88, the writers didn't know what they stood to lose; this time they do, and they've been very public with that fact. For all the inaction so far in this affair, the studios' ploy of "divide and conquer" hasn';t been working so far either. The networks think they can break the strikers by flooding the air with reality shows, but a reality show is only as good as its ratings. Other than American Idol, most of the reality shows get much lower ratings. In Janaury, people will be watching Lost, but they only have a few weeks of Lost in the can. What do you bet that a lot of viwers, esp the coveted under-30 demographic, will simply turn to the Net? Maybe some for good?

The WGA is playing hardball too, refusing to grant waivers to writers for the Golden Globes and Oscars. The strike may end a lot sooner than the 88 one b/c of the seasonal timing, b/c the actors will soon have to make a decision on whether or not to appear on a show where the WGA won't even let them use old film footage for the show. But the writers are digging in too.

Frankly I can't see ANY way out of this. Both sides are being more stubborn.

Compa, you,m along with Gramma, are an eternal optimist. I salute youSlyI wish you had your optimism. But something tells me that it wasn't just the Dec "anniversary" date that was behind the timing of the Announcement...we shall see. By 3Q do you mean we'll have to wait until NEXT FALL to find out the director? I think I shall go locoUnimpressed

BTW, welcome, 5 by 5!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 28 2007, 10:49pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2007, 8:03pm

Post #11 of 13 (623 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the remark! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As screenplay writers for LOTR, as well as their previous productions, are Our Three (as I call them) part of the WGA? If they are, OH BOY does this throw a monkey wrench into the works. I mean, I can't imagine them crossing the picket line. And I think that the brass at NL and MGM take this as a given and have not even brought up the strike to them, if they are. I think they'd rather not make the situation any more complicated as it is.

Frankly I can't see ANY way out of this. Both sides are being more stubborn.

Compa, you,m along with Gramma, are an eternal optimist. I salute youSlyI wish you had your optimism. But something tells me that it wasn't just the Dec "anniversary" date that was behind the timing of the Announcement...we shall see. By 3Q do you mean we'll have to wait until NEXT FALL to find out the director? I think I shall go locoUnimpressed

Fortunately, I do believe what I've been telling you, and its not empty optimism.

To answer your question about the WGA, I am not sure they are affiliated, but they're on the record saying they won't write until the strike is settled (a sympathtic gesture if you will). That's why it wasn't announced they will be writing. (As if Phillippa would let anyone else to do it!)

Most of these questions will be answered early March, when we get to know what the outcome of that famous meeting between Shaye and Jackson that will take place "sometime at the beginning of 2008". I'm guessing February, after Jackson wraps up Bones.

I mentioned Q3 2008 to play it safe. I believe it's enough time for the strike to be settled and have enough preproduction ready as to have PJ absolutely convinced that he can't let anyone else potentially disrupt his movies.

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 29 2007, 8:12pm

Post #12 of 13 (636 views)
Shortcut
My perverse hope.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..is that the strike goes on long enough that for Shaye hiring his own personal stable of writers becomes impractical, and Peter and Fran have given their initial script copy to Philippa and she's working on it even now as we speak. So if this shindig drags into March (which it very well might), it would be more practical to use Philippa's, ahem, completed product, to save time

Which is exactly as it should be:). Maybe things were "meant to happen".

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2007, 8:26pm

Post #13 of 13 (654 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..is that the strike goes on long enough that for Shaye hiring his own personal stable of writers becomes impractical, and Peter and Fran have given their initial script copy to Philippa and she's working on it even now as we speak. So if this shindig drags into March (which it very well might), it would be more practical to use Philippa's, ahem, completed product, to save time

Which is exactly as it should be:). Maybe things were "meant to happen".

It's highly probable that a script is already being worked on, though not openly. I bet McKellen has already been contacted, as well as Serkis (I can't assure you Weaving has, as he seems a little less important) It's probable Shaye and Jackson have spoken informally with Shore, Lee and Howe.

WETA must already be in pre-preproduction.

I reckon the wheels have been in motion for some time now... very slowly, but development could be much more advanced than we think. Let's not forget Jackson mentioned in the AICN interview back in October 2006, Fran, Phillippa and him spent an entire morning thinking of what they could do with a two movie Hobbit. I bet that was only one of many mornings.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.