Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
As promised a SPOLIER heavy look at the Empire DOS Issue, needless to say those 'appendices' are more detailed then I remeber...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:11pm

Post #101 of 253 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Cheers [In reply to] Can't Post

bring the glasses, you will need them for when Azogs mug floats in front of your face as he attacks Mirkwood.

And dont forget to cheer for Team Idiot! Wink

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 10:12pm

Post #102 of 253 (1079 views)
Shortcut
ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you weren't thinking like that either, but seeing it quoted in isolation it was like Shocked.

I understand where you are coming from for sure.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:21pm

Post #103 of 253 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Mr Jackson has 'rectified' the story's originality and will be giving us the same old cliches we've seen a million times before. This is becoming a theme in these films [In reply to] Can't Post

But but....they got hold of ....

THE APPENDICES!!!!

Honestly, if this is the holy grail of expansion on Tolkiens extended notes on The Hobbit...it doesnt bode well...

I think its possible Mr Jackson didnt like Aragorn Junior aka Thorin, dying in combat with Bolg, so they will add Azog to the confrontation and Thorin will kill him so he gets his "hero" moment.

The elves follow the orcs to laketown? What on earth..Crazy

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 10:26pm

Post #104 of 253 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Just noticed folks!!The biggest thing seems to be Smaug vs Dwarves-here is the full Quote, possible ramifications on film three and bard?: [In reply to] Can't Post

(Sorry But I've been pretty busy today so haven't had a proper look at the article since my hasty read through this morning)

'Jackson is satisfied he had found the perfect start and finish for his middle film. Desolation will commence somehwere familiar, but unexpected. It will conclude with what Boyens thinks is one of the biggest things her director has ever created in terms of action. Jackson has always felt the book lacked a defintive confrotation between the dwarves and there great Nemesis Smaug. He's rectified that. There will be bombs infernal artillery, and one mightily pissed off dragon. 'It gets pretty crazy' he says. Empire is gripped by a sudden panic. Is he sure he has left enough goodness for the final film? Jackson grins with an almost Smaugian wickedness. 'Oh yes there is much to come. 'We have a battle with five armies' he says' You never know, it might be seven, eight or nine armies by the time we finish.'

-looks to me that The Dwarves and co will attempt to attack Smaug before he burns down Laketown. Hmm where does Bard slot in?

Sorry I won't be around till tommorow evening probably as I have work and really should get to bed...I'll leave the guessing/ranting/arguments up to my fellow TORnadoes till then

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 10:31pm

Post #105 of 253 (1081 views)
Shortcut
It's all in the Tolkiens spirit remember, and you obviously weren't reading Those 125 pages of Hobbit notes hard enough [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember Boyens is a Tolkien expert so I'm sure she knows waht she's doing.

...I never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to think C.Tolkiens comments about Jackson's obession with action scenes 'eviscerating' the book are becoming reality.

Vote for team Idiot!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:32pm

Post #106 of 253 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Desolation will commence somewhere familiar, but unexpected. [In reply to] Can't Post

River Anduin's shores?

But a different place ...

What else?

Unless we are talking prologue stuff...

Moria and Thrain?

Malickfan : haha good one Laugh

More than ever, i think those thoughts CTolkien expressed in his interview with Le Monde, ring true, at least to me.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 26 2013, 10:35pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 10:34pm

Post #107 of 253 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Meduseld or Minas Tirith most likely at this point... [In reply to] Can't Post

But seriously given the father/son stuff they are developing, and the presence of Thrain in the film, I'd hedge a guess at Moria as he dissapears.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:38pm

Post #108 of 253 (1041 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Moria is a likely possibility...and its a good choice, actually...

Could be a great prologue...and we could have Gandalf's James Bond intro as he infiltrates Dol Guldur's dungeons and confornts Thrain...

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 10:38pm

Post #109 of 253 (1053 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm getting it now! [In reply to] Can't Post

They got hold of the Appendices and they 'rectified' them. It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjdgXqKjHvY

In Reply To
But but....they got hold of ....

THE APPENDICES!!!!

Honestly, if this is the holy grail of expansion on Tolkiens extended notes on The Hobbit...it doesnt bode well...

I think its possible Mr Jackson didnt like Aragorn Junior aka Thorin, dying in combat with Bolg, so they will add Azog to the confrontation and Thorin will kill him so he gets his "hero" moment.

The elves follow the orcs to laketown? What on earth..Crazy

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:39pm

Post #110 of 253 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Most likely Moria... [In reply to] Can't Post

But an outside bet could be worth placing on "The Prancing Pony" Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:42pm

Post #111 of 253 (1029 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

who is doing the "correCtion"?Wink

Just picture CTolkien in a tuxedo suit , giving this speech Laugh

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 10:42pm

Post #112 of 253 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Ha lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Ironic given Stephen King's issues with the changes to The Shining for the film.

Should we adopt 'Its all in the appendices!' as an official TORn catchphrase?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:44pm

Post #113 of 253 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Aaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

so you think they will do it? Isnt that UT material?

I know theres a version of that scene in the appendices, but, its a different one from the UT longer meeting, with different dialogue, i think.

PS : i cant wait to hear Sinister's take on these news Evil

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 26 2013, 10:47pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 10:50pm

Post #114 of 253 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Nah I'm holding out for the Rhosgobel rabbits going on a secret visit to Dain's armoured Boar, Fluffy, himself scoping out Dol Goldur [In reply to] Can't Post

Less action packed, but familiar (suits PJ's sense of humour) and unexpected!

Heck I might write the screenplay, and fit in the talking purse somewhere...

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:55pm

Post #115 of 253 (1016 views)
Shortcut
There's enough in the Appendices for them to make a decent fist of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

but more to the point, I read a suggestion on here a couple of days ago that perhaps Thorin could be replaced by Thrain in such a scene, and that would be how Gandalf got the key & map!

And yeah, I'm sure Sinister will be blown away by these latest developments... Angelic

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:58pm

Post #116 of 253 (996 views)
Shortcut
Daniel will contribute im sure, and [In reply to] Can't Post

ill pay to see that, as i believe leaving out the purse and the talking eagles is jacksons lack of understanding of the whimsycal quality fairy tales and subtlety, as they both could have been in there, specially the eagles, with subtlety...But that seems to be jackson's achilles 'heel...

But isnt Fluffy the bear we see attacking the crowd of filthy, hairy bums housebreaking his home?

Eleniel, that is ....an interesting notion....not sure i like that...What would gandalf get from him in DG, then?

Bumblings of a deranged dwarf? Epic, ominous lines?

I am sure he will, i cant wait. Angelic

This is will only make it more difficult to assemble a purist cut one day with all these additions and changes...

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 26 2013, 11:03pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2013, 11:00pm

Post #117 of 253 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves and Dragons and Elves, oh my.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll venture a theory about this:

'Jackson has always felt the book lacked a definte confrontation between the dwarves and Smaug. He's rectified that. There will be bombs, inferanl artillery, and one mightily pissed off dragon. 'It gets pretty crazy'.

Maybe this is just an expansion of the bit from the book where Smaug comes out and searches the side of the Mountain for the dwarves. In the book, he eats all of their ponies and smashes the hillside where the secret door is located (though the dwarves have gone inside already) before flying off to Laketown. Sounds to me that in the movie, the dwarves won't just hide, they'll try and fight back while Smaug before being driven inside and trapped when the door is destroyed. What I'm wondering is what they'll have, besides arrows, to fight him with. Will they find a hidden armory somewhere, or will Laketown supply them with arms before they leave? Or, are the "bombs" and "infernal artillery" phrases for Smaug's different fire attacks, in addition to the napalm-like attack we saw in AUJ?

I'm still not too worried about Tauriel: nothing that's been said about her in this article would bother me much if she were a male captain of the guard, so I figure she'll just be a Jackson-style Elf. We have previously established their super-human fighting skills with Legolas, and their healing abilities with Elrond, so the only new characteristic mentioned here is her impatience and anger. Sort of a Quickbeam among the Elves, perhaps.

I did guess that both orcs and Elves would follow the dwarf barrels down the river toward Laketown, so this sounds like confirmation. This perhaps culminates in the little fight we saw bits of in the trailer, and if orcs make it all the way into Laketown, this is probably why Tauriel has to heal a townswoman.

Mirkwood "trippy with mushroom spores"? *sigh* I really could do without the drug references. That's the only thing that really bugged me about Radagast. (Having owned many birds I don't care about the bird poop. If you let birds sit on your head, that is what happens. All it proves is he doesn't wash often, and he's certainly not the only person in Middle-earth with that characteristic!)

I'm looking forward to the Thranduil and Bard backstories. So far, I really like what I've seen of our Elvenking and I'm happy to see more of him, especially since his backstory is going to be crucial for the Thorin character arc, and possibly also for Bilbo's, depending on how the imprisonment and escape works out. I'm not an Azog fan, so I'm just hoping that whatever they have planned for him in DOS justifies his existence in AUJ. At least in the one shot in the trailer he wasn't in slow motion, so that's hopeful.

I'm already on record as predicting that DOS will end with the attack on Laketown and the demise of Smaug, so that's my guess as the "biggest thing".

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 11:02pm

Post #118 of 253 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Basically confirms [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's death won't come until film 3. Good. That's what I've been gunning for for quite some time now.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 11:03pm

Post #119 of 253 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait [In reply to] Can't Post

to see Azog's mug float down stream in front of my face in 3D!!!! Shocked

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 11:06pm

Post #120 of 253 (972 views)
Shortcut
No that Bear was Cuddles, the lovable hunterdog of the Not-Very-Misty Mountains, penpal of the Goblin King and best chums with The Which King [In reply to] Can't Post

He was popping in for a cup of tea but got annoyed when he realised he lost his keys.

And yes if you hear from Daniel I'm interested!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 11:06pm

Post #121 of 253 (1001 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien did write a more adult version of The Hobbit to bring it into line with LOTR. However, he showed this to a friend (possibly C. S. Lewis), who dissuaded him from publishing it. (I do know there was a small rewrite of The Hobbit before this, for example making Gollum a less 'noble' character than he was in the first edition of the book.)

We'll probably never know what Tolkien intended to put in the 'adult' version, but – again as far as I am aware – Legolas was never mentioned in this context.

Perhaps someone who is more of an expert in Middle-Earth lore will be along soon to correct me about this if I am wrong.

The 'evidence' that Legolas was not involved in events of The Hobbit is in the book – he does not exist in it, so he is a purely made-up creature for the purposes of the film. (Yes, I know that according to the time-scale, he could have been with Thranduil, but the fact is that he was not part of the plot. I happen to feel that any major role for him in the film could come a serious cropper.)

In Reply To
I don't see what evidence there is to suggest that Legolas was not involved in events of The Hobbit. Tolkien simply hadn't created the character yet.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 26 2013, 11:08pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 11:08pm

Post #122 of 253 (1009 views)
Shortcut
What I'm wondering is what they'll have, besides arrows, to fight him with. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes and i am wondering how will they survive an inferno of burning breath from the greatest calamity of our age?

Is the immunity to physics, long falls through chasms, and basic friction and crashes into solid rocky mountainous mass, to be expanded to dragon fire immunity? Tongue

Assuming they will actually ...have a go at Smaug...

I am still hoping this is all a bad dream...or a joke...

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 26 2013, 11:10pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 11:11pm

Post #123 of 253 (992 views)
Shortcut
Well, from the trailer it appears that the clips are of a second encounter with Thrain, [In reply to] Can't Post

wherever he gets the key <shrug> The changes seem to mean that Gandalf got the key/map before Thrain went missing. I don't like it either, but the original meeting must have taken place in Moria or , at a stretch, Bree, for there to be any faint semblance of canon left about it...

¯ Victoria Monfort

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 11:15pm

Post #124 of 253 (959 views)
Shortcut
Then why didnt [In reply to] Can't Post

he just ask them if they hadnt seen his gigantic key set? How rude...Wink

Long live the talking purse! Did the rankin bass catoon add it in?

Ardamire : you just wait for Legolas' arrow shower and Beorns saliva splashing onto your lap.Tongue

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 11:18pm

Post #125 of 253 (972 views)
Shortcut
Humm [In reply to] Can't Post

but that would be a lost opportunity for that lovely dialogue exchange between thorin and gandalf in bree...Oh well..

I suppose the reasons for Bilbos joining the quest have been established already...

I just thought a direct cut from titles to some vast chasm inside the mines of Moria would be fantastic...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.