Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silmarillion Discussion, Chapter 19: Of Beren and Luthien: Politics makes the world go 'round
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 10:30pm

Post #1 of 41 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion Discussion, Chapter 19: Of Beren and Luthien: Politics makes the world go 'round Can't Post

Since we've already jumped into fate in the Love, etc thread, (kicked off by Wiz's brilliant foray), I'll just launch into geopolitics today.

Geography: there's a taste of most of Beleriand in this story: Dorthonion, Brethil, Doriath, Nargothrond, the Feanorian realms (by reference), Angband, Anfauglith, Ossiriand (tail end of the tale), even a special guest appearance by Gondolin. The only notables left out are Hithlum and Falas. Would the story seem as epic without taking place over so much territory?

Politics:
We've seen some glimpses of politics in Beleriand before, and we get more than a glimpse here.
1. Finrod loses his throne due to his cousins (and refugee guests!), Celegorm and Curunir.
2. His brother Orodreth is equally shunted aside by the C-boys, until public opinion sways back in Orodreth's favor.
3. The C-boys want to unite, even through forced marriage, the realms of the Noldor + Doriath to form their own empire, rather than rule as individual realms acting in alliance.
4. Thingol thinks of attacking Nargothrond to get Luthien back, but he doesn't have the strength to attack the Sons of Feanor, which tells us SOF > Doriath > Nargothrond (even with Nargothrond absorbing the people of Himlad).

Questions:
1. Does it seem shocking, even implausibly contradictory, that Thingol hates the Noldor for being Kinslayers and outlaws their language over it, but he has no compunction about becoming a Kinslayer to get his daughter back?

2. How would history have been different if the SOF had succeeded in uniting all the Elven realms? Would they have been able to stand up to Morgoth as an empire rather than an alliance?

3. Or was it unrealistic for the SOF to think they could get other countries under their rule through offensive means? It's hard to imagine Thingol giving in and submitting Doriath to their rule, or Cirdan, or Fingon. They can dream if they want, but were they being delusional?

4. Where's chessmaster Galadriel in all this? I can't imagine her letting Finrod be dethroned if she were present. If she was in Doriath instead, did she have no role there in dissuading Thingol from pondering war on her people?

5. As a result of the story of Beren & Luthien, Nargothrond loses its king and becomes highly xenophobic, both Nargothrond and Doriath become enemies of the SOF, and Celegorm and Curufin are expelled by their people. All of these changes come about through personal actions and vendettas, not conflicting state interests or ideologies. Beren & Luthien, notably, don't get involved in vendettas--they don't call for revenge against the C-brothers. Their theft of the Silmaril ignites an alliance and huge battle in the next chapter, but they take no part in it. How do individuals act as catalysts for sweeping political change while remaining outside the mix?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 10:56pm

Post #2 of 41 (980 views)
Shortcut
Not late to the party, this time. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Shocking? Thingol? Nah, he's supposed to be grey (pun!) character like that. Notice that he isn't even prepared to attack the Sons, but Finarfians, his own kin.

2) A united Elven empire would have been a better option than the total breakdown that they caused, but if it's only held together by political marriage, how strong is it? For a race that esteems romantic love and marriage as high as the Elves do, that doesn't seem like a very strong foundation. And they would have been defeated at the end anyway, because of the Curse of Mandos. (Screw you Valar. Also can we have side discussion about if the Elves ever had any chance at all, and was the Curse a prophecy more than a doom?)

3) Yes, but they're Fëanorians. We're delusional like that, we imagine all problems can we solved with enough power.

4) Galadriel took no part in the busy business of the First Age, because she deemed it doomed without the Valar. I believe this was said somewhere.

5) By being innocent and pure and above such foul things? And by innocent and pure I mean Lúthien here. Beren probably just followed her lead, after noticing how much more competent she is. Also they have no desire for power, they only desire each other, and to be left alone in peace. Which they achieve by ditching those realms which they just got into a sea of problems and retreat into the most safest part of Beleriand.

Now, how was the Lay of Leithian a blessing? As far as I can see they only caused destruction and death. Even Nirnaeth Arnoediad is indirectly their doing.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 41 (972 views)
Shortcut
Politics makes the world go round? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Tolkien's first age world was flat! Smile

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 11:02pm

Post #4 of 41 (966 views)
Shortcut
Without giving too much away in the next few chapters [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmaril does become useful in the Elves cause!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:10am

Post #5 of 41 (947 views)
Shortcut
Good one // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:21am

Post #6 of 41 (960 views)
Shortcut
Party politics [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Notice that he isn't even prepared to attack the Sons, but Finarfians, his own kin.

That's what really disturbs me. Technically the Finarifians are led by a couple SOF, but he knows the Orodreth and Finduilas are his kin, and Nargothrond includes Sindar, Thingol's other people.

I think the Doom of Mandos was pure prophecy, not mean words uttered in hope those bad things would happen.

In Reply To
Yes, but they're Fëanorians. We're delusional like that, we imagine all problems can we solved with enough power.

Superbly said, Fae!

In Reply To
Also they have no desire for power, they only desire each other, and to be left alone in peace. Which they achieve by ditching those realms which they just got into a sea of problems and retreat into the most safest part of Beleriand.

I find it difficult to criticize Beren & Lu because of your first statement; they're polar opposites of SOFs, aren't they? But I arrive at the same conclusion in your 2nd statement: they light the fires, unintentionally and for virtuous reasons, but they do light them.

In Reply To
Now, how was the Lay of Leithian a blessing? As far as I can see they only caused destruction and death. Even Nirnaeth Arnoediad is indirectly their doing.

Bingo. Though one could say they inspired hope throughout history, and the Nirnaeth was an exception. It was inspired by B&L, but sabotaged by the Oath of Feanor. Yet for Doriath, winning the Silmaril led to its ruin and the deaths of both Luthien's father and son. Arguably Thingol and Dior were responsible for not turning over the Silmaril to the SOF. Nevertheless, it seems that Doriath would have endured, and Dior would have lived on in Tol Galen, if the chain of events let loose by B&L had never happened because they'd never met.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 2:11am

Post #7 of 41 (948 views)
Shortcut
Politics in Beleriand [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since we've already jumped into fate in the Love, etc thread, (kicked off by Wiz's brilliant foray), I'll just launch into geopolitics today. It was a lovely bit by Furincurunir. We wandered a bit wide in that opening thread there. But we didn't mention rabbits. Or mail-order items. No Dragons showed up either. Too bad.

Geography: there's a taste of most of Beleriand in this story: Dorthonion, Brethil, Doriath, Nargothrond, the Feanorian realms (by reference), Angband, Anfauglith, Ossiriand (tail end of the tale), even a special guest appearance by Gondolin. The only notables left out are Hithlum and Falas. Would the story seem as epic without taking place over so much territory?
Well it makes it a 'Beleriand Epic' doesn't it? Gives it that patina of truly lost tales, as all of those lands disappear as a result of this tale.

Questions:
1. Does it seem shocking, even implausibly contradictory, that Thingol hates the Noldor for being Kinslayers and outlaws their language over it, but he has no compunction about becoming a Kinslayer to get his daughter back?
Amazing what a personal stake will do isn't it?

2. How would history have been different if the SOF had succeeded in uniting all the Elven realms? Would they have been able to stand up to Morgoth as an empire rather than an alliance? It seems a very non-Elf way to live though, more of a Morgoth empire-building way of life. Plus of course with one leader needed - might have been issues between the brothers. The High King of the Noldor title seems like it was a bit of a polite nicety, and that their natural style was a loose alliance and not a rigid hierarchy. I think JRTT's own views on politics saw the looser order of control as less corrupt and more human (Elf) responsive and moral than a conglomerate would ever be.

3. Or was it unrealistic for the SOF to think they could get other countries under their rule through offensive means? It's hard to imagine Thingol giving in and submitting Doriath to their rule, or Cirdan, or Fingon. They can dream if they want, but were they being delusional? Yup I think so. I think especially immortal beings are simply not cut out for a life of such (static, if one IS immortal) political control. Surely in Thingol's case it would have led to resistance and war - Thingol would probably have lost, but probably would have been destroyed in the process.

4. Where's chessmaster Galadriel in all this? I can't imagine her letting Finrod be dethroned if she were present. If she was in Doriath instead, did she have no role there in dissuading Thingol from pondering war on her people? I assumed she was still in Doriath. If Thingol does not listen that much to Melian here (at least he doesn't kill Beren), not sure if he would have listened to Galadriel. I do wonder though, if she made anything of Beren's words, when he showed the Ring of Barahir held high in Thingol's hall; I would think she was there, maybe sitting with Melian. I checked A.R. but I don't see any edited reference to Galadriel or her presence there, nor her reaction to this man bearing her brother's ring. (IF she was in Nargothrond, I wonder if Finrod shared the reason for his feeling of disquiet, reminding her of his premonition...but especially with that bit with the crown getting tossed on the ground, I feel like she wasn't there.)

5. As a result of the story of Beren & Luthien, Nargothrond loses its king and becomes highly xenophobic, both Nargothrond and Doriath become enemies of the SOF, and Celegorm and Curufin are expelled by their people. All of these changes come about through personal actions and vendettas, not conflicting state interests or ideologies. Beren & Luthien, notably, don't get involved in vendettas--they don't call for revenge against the C-brothers. Their theft of the Silmaril ignites an alliance and huge battle in the next chapter, but they take no part in it. How do individuals act as catalysts for sweeping political change while remaining outside the mix? Excellent observation here CG...I would say that because of the fateful nature of Beren and Luthien themselves things happen around them, even if they don't intend it. Their union changes Middle Earth in the short term and the long term! Not that it was their intention at all...they wanted to be together, that's all. Real life couples who marry for love have politically changed the world - Henry and Eleanor...Nicholas and Alexandra, to name two prominent examples that spring readily to mind.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 2:30am

Post #8 of 41 (965 views)
Shortcut
OK, a list of fates/dooms in this chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to put this somewhere. It's long!
  1. Beren is defended by fate from orc arrows when he recovers his father's hand with its ring.
  2. He bypasses Melian's Girdle "as she had foretold; for a great doom lay upon him."
  3. Luthien looks at Beren the first time: "as she looked upon him, doom fell upon her, and she loved him"
  4. Beren has one of his swoons after this encounter with Luthien: "Thus he began the payment of anguish for the fate that was laid on him, and in his fate Luthien was caught."(see below)****
  5. Beren says to Thingol, "My fate, O King, let me hither."
  6. Melian warns Thingol about Beren: "far and free does his fate lead him in the end, yet it is wound with yours."
  7. By naming the Silmaril as the price of Luthien, Thingol "wrought the doom of Doriath, and was ensnared within the curse of Mandos." (oops!)
  8. Melian tells Thingol: "For you have doomed either your daughter, or yourself. And now is Doriath drawn within the fate of a mightier realm." [what realm does she mean?]
  9. Finrod knows when Beren shows up that his own fate is sealed
  10. Huan, in following Celegorm to MEarth, is "under the doom of woe set upon the Noldor," with the fate that he'll die when he meets the mightiest wolf ever.
  11. Orodreth won't follow the crowd sentiment to kill Celegorm and Curufin because "the spilling of kindred blood by kin would bind the curse of Mandos more closely upon them all."
  12. Doom and choice: Luthien tells Beren he can relinquish the quest or pursue it; either way "our doom shall be alike." That's free will + fate.
  13. At the edge of Anfauglith, Huan turns talkative and tells Beren that Luthien's fate is wrapped up with his; he can avoid his fate or face it.
  14. When Luthien strikes Carcharoth down like lightning, she tells him to "forget for a while the dreadful doom of life."
  15. Feeling cocky, Beren decides to free all of the Silmarils with Angrist, "but such was not the doom of the Silmarils," and the knife snaps.
  16. After Luthien heals Beren in Doriath, they stay alone for awhile, but eventually return to Menegroth: "So their Doom willed it."
  17. Shocker! Thingol actually asks Melian for advice, but she refuses, "saying that the doom that he had devised must work to its appointed end."
  18. Carcharoth is not kept out by the Girdle "for fate drove him."
  19. Thingol softens up on B&L, "and he perceived that their doom night not be withstood by any power of the world."
  20. Mablung puts the Silmaril in dying Beren's hand, who gives it to Thingol saying, "Now is the Quest achieved, and my doom is full-wrought."
  21. Luthien chooses mortality so that "the fates of Beren and Luthien might be joined."
"and in his fate Luthien was caught."
What's interesting here is some reflection on "Release from Bondage." The text says "and in his fate Luthien was caught, and being immortal she shared in his mortality, and being free received his chain, and her anguish was greater than any other of the Eldalie has known."
>>So it doesn't sound like she's being released from bondage if she went from freedom to Beren's chain of mortality. But this seems a contradiction to me, because though Men fear death, Tolkien insists it's a gift from Iluvatar and not a chain. I'll still think the release from bondage is her release from Arda. As Arwen will later put it, "both the sweet and the bitter."

Fate: if you accept Destiny as an overarching principle that doesn't micromanage too much, then there's still free will within fate. Neither seems absolute, and somehow they work together. The repeated message of this chapter is that one must accept fate.

Were there any viable alternatives for these lovers soggy with fate?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 2:43am

Post #9 of 41 (945 views)
Shortcut
I knew there was something creepy about the C-bros [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems a very non-Elf way to live though, more of a Morgoth empire-building way of life.

Thanks for bringing that up. With or without the Oath, the Sons of Feanor become more and more like the Enemy all the time. You don't see that with the other Noldor, or even Thingol. (just kidding on Thingol)

I think JRTT's own views on politics saw the looser order of control as less corrupt and more human (Elf) responsive and moral than a conglomerate would ever be.

Yes, even though Gondor is the most centralized empire there is, it wasn't about total control, vs. Mordor and corrupted Numenor. Alliances and coalitions seem to be his thing. Aragorn, the enlightened monarch, could have claimed the Shire as a vassal when he was reclaiming all his inheritance after the war, but of course he didn't. (Celegorm would have. And he would have forced Lobelia to marry him to get her lands, a decision he'd regret.)

Galadriel: I suppose we'd have to resort to fan fiction to paint a role for her in either Nargothrond or Doriath. She seems so strong-willed, I can't imagine her letting the C-boys get away with their stunt. And if in Menegroth, were she and Luthien ever friends, as cousins once removed? Did they have girl talks: commenting on the cute Elves at court, or the cute Dwarves with braided hair who were visiting, or how icky Daeron was following them around, and how to keep flowers in your hair while twirl-dancing in the woods?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 10:25am

Post #10 of 41 (920 views)
Shortcut
"The C-bros" sound disturbingly like a Gangsta Rap Band... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

sador
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:23pm

Post #11 of 41 (929 views)
Shortcut
...in a most delightful way. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait a moment... this isn't another of SirDennis' mixed-metaphor threads? Blush

Would the story seem as epic without taking place over so much territory?
Well, this is one of the three "great tales", the other being Turin's and Tuor's; so naturally, it does cover a lot of mileage.
But yes, the vast landscape does give a special feeling.

Well, it all depends on the provocation...
It is contradictory, but I find it neither shocking nor even impplausible. Doesn't it happen all the time in real world politics?

2. How would history have been different if the SOF had succeeded in uniting all the Elven realms? Would they have been able to stand up to Morgoth as an empire rather than an alliance?

Probably not. The might of Morgoth was too great for such a union.
But the alliance has just been defeated, if you remember - and even the Nirnaeth might have been won, if not for the treachery of Men.
In short, we can never tell.

3. Or was it unrealistic for the SOF to think they could get other countries under their rule through offensive means? It's hard to imagine Thingol giving in and submitting Doriath to their rule, or Cirdan, or Fingon. They can dream if they want, but were they being delusional?

I am not sure they wanted to rule an empire for themselves. They thought all the power of the Elves should be united, and Thingol was the most powerful nominal ally who had witheld his help. They would try and oust Fingon in favour of Maedhros, I think; and now that Fingolfin fell, they might even have succeeded. Was Fingon that ambitious? He seems content to follow his elder cousin's lead in the next chapter.

4. Where's chessmaster Galadriel in all this? I can't imagine her letting Finrod be dethroned if she were present. If she was in Doriath instead, did she have no role there in dissuading Thingol from pondering war on her people?

Finrod dethroned? Surely you mean Orodreth. And wouldn't be dethroned; he would have kept his throne, as a puppet of Thingol's.
But in The Mirror of Galadriel, the Lady states that before the fall of Nargothrond, or Gondolin, she and Celeborn crossed the Mountains to the West. I would date it to soon after the siege of Angband was lifted; so she probably wasn't around at all.

I wonder if Tolkien thought of the same problem you did; in his very last writings about Galadriel, he has her betraying her family and fighting against them at Alqualonde (you will remember that the first to use violence there were the Teleri). Of course we "know" who was right and who was wrong in that battle - but she wouldn't! In short, I think this idea was not sufficiently thought-out, but it might have been inspired by the assumption here is that Kinslaying is all fine and dandy, if only you are in the right.

5. How do individuals act as catalysts for sweeping political change while remaining outside the mix?
Beren and Luthien had no say regarding the people's reaction to Celegorm and Curufin; they were long away. Beren would have murdered (o.k., executed) Curufin when he had a chance, but Luthien forbade it - probably she realised that to succeed in their Quest they needed a special grace, which they shouldn't risk by such an act.

'But my father loves them,' said Túrin, 'and he is not happy without them. He says that we have learned all that we know from them, and have been made a nobler people; and he says that the Men that have lately come over the Mountains are little better than Orcs.'
'That is true,' answered Sador; 'true at least of some of us. But the up-climbing is painful, and from high places it is easy to fall low.'

Who was right?
Join us in the Reading Room, for the discussion of Of the Coming of Men into the West, beginning on June 9!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:49pm

Post #12 of 41 (920 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thingol and War: I think in a normal world, his intent is normal enough, but in Tolkien's world, I have trouble swallowing it. Let's say Aragorn's daughter is held captive in Edoras by a usurper to the throne. Would he declare war on Rohan to get her back? Though the more I think about it, maybe Thingol thought that just by showing up with an army would be enough for an uprising in Nargothrond to free Luthien with no blood shed. That would be plausible, since C&C were overturned and thrown out for other reasons in the story.

Finrod dethroned: I suppose I count him dethroned because he cast his crown on the ground when virtually no one would join him on his quest with Beren after C&C spoke to the crowds against him. Orodreth seems more shunted aside; well, maybe that's the same as dethroned. He was temporarily made politically irrelevant. Both brothers were dethroned?

Galadriel: my feeling about her is that if she were present when C&C were convincing the Nargothrond populace to forsake Finrod, she would have spoken out forcefully in his favor. Whether she won the debate or not, it just seems that she would be in it (Orodreth doesn't appear to be). But yes, maybe she's already left Beleriand by this time. Does Tolkien ever date her departure? My assumption was that she left after the Nirnaeth when Beleriand was clearly a lost cause, and she was going to fight "the long defeat" elsewhere.

Non-violence: what strikes me about B&L is that overall, they're non-violent. True, Beren wanted to kill Curufin, but that was in the heat of the moment and in retaliation, and Luthien (keeping a cool head) forbade it. Even after the brothers shot arrows at her, Huan chased them off, but didn't appear intent on killing them. Something tells me that he could have if he wanted. There was violence in opposing Sauron for Tol Sirion, but that was it, and Luthien even spared Sauron the loss of his physical form rather than let Huan "kill" him. Morgoth's court was put to sleep, Carcharoth was put to sleep in Round 1 at Angband's gate, and in Round 2, Beren tried to scare him off with the Silmaril. There isn't a lot of drawing of swords. True, the Hunt for the Wolf is violent, but that comes after the Quest was completed. Overall, violence wasn't part of the game plan.

telain
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 5:49pm

Post #13 of 41 (910 views)
Shortcut
my fictional conversation between Thingol and Galadriel... and other things, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I really need to look at the chapter again. But I have a few minutes so I will dive in nearly unprepared. Thankfully, CG's excellent recaps and questions help fill in those gaping holes...

I do think -- like sador and others -- that big geography = big story. And I wonder if it is the reader actually imagining the characters travelling all those distances. Many of us (myself included) might have thought twice about undertaking such dramatic journeys, therefore the characters that do seem that much more heroic.

I am not shocked at Thingol for being either hypocritical or contradictory. He is so isolated from everyone else that he cannot see things from another's perspective -- not even Melian's. I wouldn't be surprised if someone, like Galadriel, called him on it that he would even be able to admit it through all the reasoning and rationalizing that he would most likely do. (To bring in a non-Tolkien reference, he reminds me a bit of Picard from Star Trek TNG -- the Prime Directive applies to everyone else, but not to him; he who violated it more often than any other captain!)

T: "The Kinslaying is so disgusting a conception that I will not allow that hideous language to be spoken. Now, where is my daughter!! Assemble the troops!"
G: "Ahem, you've suggested attacking to get get your daughter back? How do you think that will end? Let me give you a hint, it starts with "Kin" and ends with "slaying"."
T: "You don't understand at all! It is a totally different matter!"

and on, and on, and on... Actually, I'm sure that "conversation" would have been one to sell tickets to.

I am in agreement with Brethil about an Elven Empire -- it just...doesn't seem to ...fit somehow. And given all the ego and attitude, would it really have lasted that long? Long enough to destroy Morgoth? I can imagine an immense amount of infighting that surely Morgoth would have appreciated... On the other hand, I also weirdly like the idea, because maybe a bit more proximity is what some of them needed. Instead of familiarity breeding contempt, it might have bred respect or understanding.

And it might have been a fitting end if Fingolfin's risk had inspired something more positive...

But in the end, I think it is a bit much to ask Thingol, Cirdan, or Fingon (but let's be honest, especially Thingol) to submit. I'm not sure that word is in his vocabulary.

Where's chessmaster Galadriel in all this? Good question! Perhaps like many chessmasters, she sees many moves ahead. And maybe all of those moves end in the same way with more or less destruction given different courses of action.

And, dare I say, like many chess players, maybe she is sitting in her favourite chair staring at the board. While chaos whirls around outside the conservatory windows.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 5:57pm

Post #14 of 41 (907 views)
Shortcut
Great take on Thingol [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not shocked at Thingol for being either hypocritical or contradictory. He is so isolated from everyone else that he cannot see things from another's perspective -- not even Melian's. I wouldn't be surprised if someone, like Galadriel, called him on it that he would even be able to admit it through all the reasoning and rationalizing that he would most likely do. (To bring in a non-Tolkien reference, he reminds me a bit of Picard from Star Trek TNG -- the Prime Directive applies to everyone else, but not to him; he who violated it more often than any other captain!)

I think my surprise is that Tolkien would express outrage, via the story and narration, that Elf would kill Elf, so he wouldn't allow Thingol to contemplate it. But if he got inside Thingol as a character, you're right, there would be little or no inhibition because Thingol's world (and morality) are entirely his own making.

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 7:51pm

Post #15 of 41 (902 views)
Shortcut
I find Thingol such an inconsistent character in some ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

He starts off as heroic leader of his people on the Long Journey- very committed etc, but then gets waylaid by Melian. He is besotted and bewitched and seemingly forgets his heroic role and settles in Doriath. He gives up going to Aman, seeing the light of the Trees, a peaceful life, for the sake of his wife. Then ignores her advice and counsel and seems to treat her as less than the Maia that she is ( a bit of resentment that she kept him in the dark literally, in preventing him from taking his people to Aman? Or normal married bliss??!Evil)
He then quite rightly condemns the kin-slaying- (but goes a bit far in his assessment of the non-SoF Noldor), but later suggests a similar thing himself regarding regaining his daughter.
Maybe the magic that Melian used to ensnare him was a bit too strong and permanently addled his wits? But, more seriously, maybe, as Telain says, he is just so disconnected from others- his brother and the rest of the Teleri went to Aman, for centuries Thingol had no contact with other elven leaders, other than Cirdan, who was not his equal really.Then the Noldor return and he discovers that they have done this terrible thing, so he rejects them. He later rejects Men, because he knows little of them and has cut himself off, as well as the vague hints of Doom from Melian. I wonder if he feels fear and resentment which causes him to behave in this way- after all, he has forsaken going with his brother etc and lives in the relative dark of ME for Ages, hiding from Morgoth etc. Then the Noldor return, the sun rises, the Noldor take a lot of land and start sabre-rattling against Morgoth and they've killed Thingol's kin. Morgoth starts making big trouble again due to the action of the Noldor. And then, somehow, Thingol's daughter gets dragged right into the centre of it all. It's no wonder he is somewhat paranoid really!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 8:03pm

Post #16 of 41 (892 views)
Shortcut
The rise, fall, rise, and fall of Thingol [In reply to] Can't Post

Good points, Elaen. To sketch a rough timeline:

RISE:
Goes to Valinor, sees Trees, comes back to persuade his people to go there
Falls in love with Melian, stays in MEarth
Becomes High King of Beleriand, and seems a good one

FALL:
Acts like a total jerk when the Noldor return and when Men appear
Condemns Kinslaying (good) then plots one of his own (bad)
Acts like jerk throughout the B&L saga

RISE:
Learns to appreciate (abruptly) Beren, and later is the consummate host and protector of Hurin's family
Forgives Hurin's harsh words (is this the same Thingol??)

FALL:
Obsesses over Silmaril and stupidly insults the Dwarves, while all alone, with the result that they kill him

>>>>He isn't very consistent over time, is he?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:43pm

Post #17 of 41 (890 views)
Shortcut
Inconsistent or 'human'? [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, he seems so very human. He's all over the place - he's hypocritical; he's angry; he's overprotective; he's loving; he's cautious; he's proud. He's pretty much a mixture of everything at one time or another, just like pretty much any real person I know.

I really like him because it's easy to root for him, but also easy to root against him when heeded. I understand his desire to marry his daughter off to someone of greater standing. I adore the way he takes in Turin and does everything within his power to help him and his family. I detest his treatment of the dwarves and his sending Beren on a suicide mission.

Overall, I think he's a great character, and one of the most realistic. Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 10:14pm

Post #18 of 41 (889 views)
Shortcut
Thingol as realistic [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
To me, he seems so very human. He's all over the place - he's hypocritical; he's angry; he's overprotective; he's loving; he's cautious; he's proud. He's pretty much a mixture of everything at one time or another, just like pretty much any real person I know.

I really like him because it's easy to root for him, but also easy to root against him when heeded. I understand his desire to marry his daughter off to someone of greater standing. I adore the way he takes in Turin and does everything within his power to help him and his family. I detest his treatment of the dwarves and his sending Beren on a suicide mission.

Overall, I think he's a great character, and one of the most realistic. Smile

I agree Ardamire, he is realistic because he is almost mortal-ish in his thinking: he's reactive, like we are. I think that's why he seems to go through so many highs and lows in his life, he reacts to circumstances immediately and emotionally. I both dislike and love him at times: I hate the self-serving suicide mission, but I love reading how, while Huan fights Carcharoth and Beren lies mortally wounded, Thingol stays by his side. That's so endearing.

Of course then we have the whole Necklace incident...so its as Elaen said, he doesn't have an arc in only one direction. Like most of us!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:28am

Post #19 of 41 (889 views)
Shortcut
Reactive is a great description [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think that's what gets to the bottom of his behavior. He bases a great many decisions on his emotions, which is such a human thing to do. Obviously, it doesn't make for a high and noble king, but it certainly makes for a great character and an interesting story.

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 6:10am

Post #20 of 41 (866 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree Ardamire- he is very "human" in his inconsistency and I think that is what is surprising, considering his position as a High Elven King and husband of a Maia. As I said in my post, he has good reason to be "all over the place"- he has a pretty turbulent life one way or another with many reverses of fortune- anybody would be a bit paranoid about the outside world in that situation.
I am currently reading the Sil as we go along, having not read it for a while (and shamefully I think I left the Turin chapter out last time- it's just sooo depressingBlush) so I had forgotten about Thingol helping out. Also Luthien also loves her father deeply and so he must have his good side too- just not a very consistent one!Wink

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jun 28 2013, 9:30am

Post #21 of 41 (861 views)
Shortcut
(Random subject title) followed by... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Does it seem shocking, even implausibly contradictory, that Thingol hates the Noldor for being Kinslayers and outlaws their language over it, but he has no compunction about becoming a Kinslayer to get his daughter back? No, not really. IIRC, Thingol had never been in a situation where he felt it necessary to take arms against other Elves. (At least in the extent of the kinslaying) He wasn't at the kinslaying, only really hears about it second handedly, and yet he judges the all the Noldor for it. Put Thingol in a similar place, and, unsurprisingly, he acts similarly. It's like making in generalized statement such as, "Isn't it awful how corrupt politicians are these days." but when you're suddenly put in the same place, you do exactly the same thing.

On another tangent, I always thought Thingol's hate of the Noldor's kinslaying could have been an excuse to openly shun them; his real reason was the Noldor were becoming too powerful, and he was beginning to feel threatened by them.

2. How would history have been different if the SOF had succeeded in uniting all the Elven realms? Would they have been able to stand up to Morgoth as an empire rather than an alliance? Maybe. But Morgoth was a Valar; I don't they ever had any chance of defeating him, even as an empire. Here too, I think the oath would have messed things up, and they would never have been a united securely.

3. Or was it unrealistic for the SOF to think they could get other countries under their rule through offensive means? It's hard to imagine Thingol giving in and submitting Doriath to their rule, or Cirdan, or Fingon. They can dream if they want, but were they being delusional? The SOF were pretty unrealistic most of the time, and imo, here is no exception. The SOF have a tendency to choose the offensive option first, then look for a nicer way once that has failed.

4. Where's chessmaster Galadriel in all this? I can't imagine her letting Finrod be dethroned if she were present. If she was in Doriath instead, did she have no role there in dissuading Thingol from pondering war on her people? I agree with previous posts; Galadriel would have spoken up if she was there; she didn't, therefore she would have already left beleriand.

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

(This post was edited by Lothwen on Jun 28 2013, 9:37am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 3:01pm

Post #22 of 41 (845 views)
Shortcut
A most excellent idea Lothwen [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

On another tangent, I always thought Thingol's hate of the Noldor's kinslaying could have been an excuse to openly shun them; his real reason was the Noldor were becoming too powerful, and he was beginning to feel threatened by them.

That is a great insight - since we see so much of the 'humanity' (Elfmanity?) of Thingol in his reactions, and those not always being exactly what one would expect of a Firstborn king, I can see that insecurity would plague him. Especially since he has that big section of Beleriand all sorted as he likes it, and then these interlopers show up; learned and powerful, and regarded as 'heralds' when they arrive by the Moriquendi.

That's a great point to make. Interesting that we see Thingol's heart soften towards Men quicker than it does towards his fellow Elves. Perhaps you have hit upon the reason - he does not feel intimidated by Men as he does towards the Noldor.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 8:00pm

Post #23 of 41 (838 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, great point [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to take Thingol at face value since that works for most of the characters in this book, except Feanor. I think you're right that he felt threatened by the Noldor, and he didn't just dislike them because he was ill-tempered. He didn't know what to make of Men, but possibly he gleaned from Melian that they were the future and Elves wouldn't dominate forever.

Ardamire makes a worthy point too. Most heroic-mythic characters are one- or two-dimensional. Is Cirdan ever anything but wise, Fingolfin anything but heroic, Finrod anything but lovable? Thingol is exasperating in much of his actions and reactions, but so are humans with all their multi-dimensions.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 9:32pm

Post #24 of 41 (838 views)
Shortcut
Thingol in 3-D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I tend to take Thingol at face value since that works for most of the characters in this book, except Feanor. I think you're right that he felt threatened by the Noldor, and he didn't just dislike them because he was ill-tempered. He didn't know what to make of Men, but possibly he gleaned from Melian that they were the future and Elves wouldn't dominate forever.
Ardamire makes a worthy point too. Most heroic-mythic characters are one- or two-dimensional. Is Cirdan ever anything but wise, Fingolfin anything but heroic, Finrod anything but lovable? Thingol is exasperating in much of his actions and reactions, but so are humans with all their multi-dimensions.

And when Thingol does relent and show kindness and open-heartedness, it has huge impact on the story. Its late for Beren - not until he lies dying - but that feeling pays off for Middle Earth later on with Thingol's treatment of Hurin and Huor.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 6:18pm

Post #25 of 41 (822 views)
Shortcut
Thingol [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. It's very surprising. In fact, I'd never really thought about how 'human' and realistic he is until going through this thread. Before, I think I held him up to the high and lofty status of an elven king, and so I was sometimes just appalled by him and didn't like his character. Now, though, I really have a new outlook on him, and I think I really love the character.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.