Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silmarillion Discussion, Chapter 19: Of Beren and Luthien: Love, etc.
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 12:27pm

Post #151 of 344 (7706 views)
Shortcut
Much agreement [In reply to] Can't Post

"i still think the way the valar treated the moriquendi was horrible. maybe the valar should have boarded a ship, sailed to the mainland, and asked forgiveness of the avari. "

sador
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 12:28pm

Post #152 of 344 (7704 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

I am nearly done with the summary threads; but it is a nice relief to return to someone else's discussion! And I still owe replies to two earlier threads...

Do you see anything imperfect in it, or is it love the way you wished it would be?
I'm not quite sure; but then I was never deep into romance as a genre. But do you think perfect love is comradeship on battlefields?

but can you imagine them having a marital spat about who has to clean the kitchen?
No. Being princes, I'm sure that once they have a kitchen they will have plenty of people to clean for them.

Doesn't it seem alien to the story to try to conjure up mundane images of how they live their daily lives?
It won't fit in the story as told here, no. But who ever washes up in Tolkien's fantasy, except for Bilbo and Sam?
On the other hand - such imagining is a fan's delight! For instance, it is said that Beren was a vegetarian. Did Luthien become one for his sake? (her father did have a chief hunter, so she surely wasn't raised as one)

Does that leave you wondering if these two spend their private time staring rapturously and wordlessly into each other's eyes, or does it seem that their dialogue is very intimate, something that the rest of the world isn't privy to or wouldn't understand?
No, I'm sure they have some intimate dialogue. Whether we are cut off for the sake of decency or because it was something we couldn't understand (and Tolkien didn't bother to write) - who can tell?

Does Beren love Luthien mainly because of her celestial beauty?

That is a brilliant observation you've made. But from what I know of Tolkien, the image of a beautiful damsel dancing in the woods was one he knew and cherished (he wrote that Edith danced for him when they were courting), so he would consider it as more than enough for falling in love.

Why does she love him?
We don't know. The closest we get is Aragorn's song on Weathertop, in which he attributes it to doom.

Is it her innocence in solitude that appeals to his wounded soul, or would he fall in love with her if he were a rich and peaceful King of Dorthonion and they met at a large banquet?
I don't think it is her innocence. It is her beauty and charm.
And after the life he had led, it is her beauty and charm which make him adore her, rather than try to ravish her there and then.

How does knowing his personal background for the story affect your perception of it?
Oh! I've mentioned it above!

Is this story too sentimental for you?
You mean this part of it? It is a bit naive, and isn't my favourite indeed. But it never becomes mawkish.

how does your gender affect how you view this chapter?

I don't know. It is a common perception that girls like romance better than boys, but I don't know how accurate this is (of my two eldest, my daughter likes romance far more than my son does). If it is true, perhaps this influences my liking this chapter less than some others.

'But my father loves them,' said Túrin, 'and he is not happy without them. He says that we have learned all that we know from them, and have been made a nobler people; and he says that the Men that have lately come over the Mountains are little better than Orcs.'
'That is true,' answered Sador; 'true at least of some of us. But the up-climbing is painful, and from high places it is easy to fall low.'

Who was right?
Join us in the Reading Room, for the discussion of Of the Coming of Men into the West, beginning on June 9!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 1:13pm

Post #153 of 344 (7705 views)
Shortcut
Fate and choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the answers, Sador, and you gave me a nice segue way into another area I wanted to cover in this chapter: Fate.

Why does she love him?
We don't know. The closest we get is Aragorn's song on Weathertop, in which he attributes it to doom.

That is a little troubling to me, since it seems she has no choice in the matter. Does she really love him, or just get sucked into a vortex where Fate ultimately glues them together, as Wiz indicated? There are arranged marriages in real life, but not in Tolkien's world, so Luthien couldn't have rationalized, "Oh, well, Daddy would have married me off to some prince or another to forge some alliance, so I never had a choice."

Possibly Fate and love happened simultaneously, so she wasn't really a pawn. But Fate (the dark side) rules Finrod's future, and he feels he made his choice years before when he made his oath to Barahir, and there's no getting out of it, even though he foresees his death.

Or did Fate shape and manufacture these two so that they would naturally fall in love, as Brethil said that their falling in love was essential to who they were?

Contrast how Fate controls lives with Thingol, who is completely free to make all the choices he wants when it comes to Beren, or so it seems to me. Once he names the Silmaril as the price for Luthien, Fate takes over, or the Oath of Feanor is aroused and takes over, but there is "Fate," which I think of as a supernatural force directing actions and outcomes in the world, and consequences of decisions, such as if I punch your nose, you'll punch mine, which isn't supernatural Fate, just a likely consequence. It's not clear to me if Thingol's choices lead to Fate taking control of his future, or just the consequences of deciding to play with a nuclear bomb.

sador
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 1:45pm

Post #154 of 344 (7719 views)
Shortcut
In short [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the lusters even capable of love, or does being so selfish and unethical mean you just don't get it?
I am sure Daeron was; and I'm also sure he thought he was acting in Luthien's best interests. Just think of mortality as a life-shortening disease; is it so wrong of him wanting her to avoid contracting it?
Celegorm seems to be angling for an arranged marriage, which I am sure were the norm among the elvish nobility in Tolkien's world. Yes, he is enamored of her, but he is clearly after her inheritence rather than mere beauty.
Morgoth is one case which seems to be plain lust (which is more explicit in earlier versions). One wonders why wpuld a mighty Ainu lust for one of the Children of Iluvatar in a carnal sense, even considering that she is half-Maia! This looks like a "left-over" from an earlier stage, in which the Valar were perceived as ordinary pagan deities; for instance, Manwe and Varda did have children in BoLT. Perhaps if Tolkien had found a better way to explain the spell Luthien cast upon Morgoth he would have emended the story accordingly - but either he couldn't, or he wanted to state that this sort of beauty would even charm archangels (compare Gen. 6:2; most Christian translators read this as refering to the fall of the angels). And no, at this stage he seems unable of love.

Regarding Beren - again, this is not so clear; see squire's post.

'But my father loves them,' said Túrin, 'and he is not happy without them. He says that we have learned all that we know from them, and have been made a nobler people; and he says that the Men that have lately come over the Mountains are little better than Orcs.'
'That is true,' answered Sador; 'true at least of some of us. But the up-climbing is painful, and from high places it is easy to fall low.'

Who was right?
Join us in the Reading Room, for the discussion of Of the Coming of Men into the West, beginning on June 9!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 2:30pm

Post #155 of 344 (7707 views)
Shortcut
Valar transgression leading to redemption [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

yes, the summoning, the rebellion, the plea for intercession are all intertwined. but its conceivable that the elves might have transgressed in some other way, even if the summons had not occurred.

is the first link in the chain. It is their failure of faith in Eru's plans I feel that starts the whole process. So although the Elves 'fell' in JRRT's mind, the first step down that path was taken by those higher than they.

Agree too that the Moriquendi (while not quite red-headed stepchildren, that's our Dwarves) are rather forgotten siblings in the family. Of course we read that the light of Aman in the faces of the Noldor are a weapon against Morgoth's forces. So ultimately the Summoning is tied to the struggle for marred Arda, like a DNA strand. So as Sador had asked previously, it not only justifies the Return (though perhaps not in the style in which it happened - but maybe. may think on that) but underlies its necessity; as well as underlying the need for the Silmarils to end up in Arda.

So maybe I am starting to see the Rebellion and all of Feanor's actions as the tiny seed, from which in a convoluted and sometimes painful and violent way the hope of Middle Earth - the way back to Valinor; and not as a 'pet' but as a supplicant - comes forth. Sort of the way things were supposed to be: the Valar, watch from afar, heed the pleas for aid, and take action without subverting, through too much familiarity, the Elven of Human destinies.

Knew there is a reason I can't ever hate Feanor. TongueWink

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 4:48pm

Post #156 of 344 (7760 views)
Shortcut
Fate and free will [In reply to] Can't Post

Fate and free will! Tolkien does like a fair old bit of fate and doom, doesn't he - perhaps especially in this chapter. But he also is very keen on free will. And as you've noted,CG, the two don't seem all that compatible. If Thingol is doomed to set Beren and Lúthien off on their quest, can we fairly criticise him for his behaviour? Or can we blame Sméagol for murdering Déagol; or praise Frodo for his courage; or be appalled at Morgoth's actions, if these characters have no choice, and are only acting out their parts in a preordained grand scheme?

I was recently reading a possible philosophical solution, in Grant Sterling's essay, The Consolation of Bilbo. (It appears in a very interesting book, "The Hobbit and Philosophy" Ed. Bassham and Bronson, pub. Wiley-Blackwell.) it seems to me that it could work - Id be interested to hear what others think.

It's really a version of Brethil's idea about "prophecies with wiggle room". Here's how I understand the idea:

We are used to a world where there is one settled past. Our actions now - which appear to us to be based on our free will, and chance, and other factors - contribute to the one future we go on to experience. But, the argument runs, Eru exists outside time, and could have a complete view of the present and of all possible futures that can arise from it. I find it a bit hard to imagine this: it helps me to imagine a control room with lots of monitors on which all aspects of the present and all possible futures can be seen. Assuming I can watch an infinite number of monitors at once- which Eru maybe can, not even needing the monitors.

Anyhow, let's assume that Eru hopes Beren will encounter Lúthien in the woods and they will fall in love. He can influence this - if Beren decides to wander off in the wrong direction, or if Lúthien decides it's too wet for dancing today, he can tweak some things, and keep tabs on how what he's doing affects the likely futures. Maybe he has a plan B (or Plans B to infinity) in case of Beren and Lúthien resolutely not falling in love, or choosing not to go questing. Those of us who exist within time don't see all these other possibilities (should I be waving my arms and writing stuff about "collapsing the wave function" at this point?) and so it wrongly looks like what did happen is the only thing that could have happened.

I think that works, and explains why, for example Frodo is both "meant" to have the Ring, but also could choose not to take it to Mordor.

This explanation bought to you by the philosopher Boethius, apparently. Grant Sterling quotes a Tolkien story which I haven't read - Ósanwe-kenta - for evidence that Tolkien saw things as working this way.

What do you think?

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 5:06pm

Post #157 of 344 (7710 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

"For He did not predestine before He foreknew, but He predestined the rewards of those whose merits He foreknew."
-St. Ambrose, De fide 5.6.83. PL 16.692-93.

Pippin: "When you guys fall in the forest, does it make a sound?"
Bregalad: "Are you kidding? Scott fell last week and he hasn't shut up about it since!"

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 5:16pm

Post #158 of 344 (7710 views)
Shortcut
In addition to the classic Christian debate between predestination and freewill, there is also the concept of wyrd to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.wyrdwords.vispa.com/heathenry/whatwyrd.html

I hope it isn't heretical to see a sort of resolution of the freewill / predestination issue in the concept of "wyrd". There are probably other resources that explain it as well - I just linked up the first one I found past Wikipedia (which I felt didn't explain it much).

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:20pm

Post #159 of 344 (7668 views)
Shortcut
Outstanding ideas here Furincurinir! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So. If This section of the Silmarillion is a tragedy, I see The Oath as a major engine of it. We began to discuss how the oath works. In one subtherad I commented that it seemed the SoF were only bound by it when it suited them, & Feanoriel answered:

It's all in their head... the Oath only binds them through their (warped) conscience and their pride, so it only becomes relevant when they feel it being relevant.

And yes yes yes, in ancient cultures holding to your words was the most important things and so forth. But the thing is, the Sons are kind of deconstructing that. The sky wouldn't have fallen and their heads wouldn't have caved in if they would have just realized it was a very silly thing to say and let go of the whole thing. Probably Eru would have sent them ten points and a parrot stamp from his halls.
Great point here, Faenoriel. It *is* an internally driven force. The question is - do they know that though...? (More below.)

I think that's a thoroughly plausible reading. One can see the Oath as very solemn promise, without any supernatural power. Such a thing in real life can be very hard to give up: it takes:
  • humility (I was wrong to say I would do that)
  • courage (to accept the risk of damage to your reputation, and possibly to your political office or even life. To believe others will see that a change of plan is wiser and nobler that the fulfillment of an oath),
  • imagination (to see a better solution), and lastly
  • ability to start over again (unlike Macbeth with his “I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er.”)
  • I think I could quickly come up with a long list of real-world leaders who have wooden-headedly stuck to a policy long after it ceased to be sensible.

Going further, one could see the oath as being an obsession or compulsion the SoF are under. One could imagine this as purely psychological: but the oath has gone beyond something that they could give up by overcoming their stubbornness, pride and fear. It's not at all feasible for them to give it up without outside help.
    Going further - I've heard of people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from a compulsion or obsession report that it is experienced by them as an outside force: it tells or forces them to do something
    Going further - this is fantasy. "But Tolkien, who knows what he can do". Maybe the Oath being experienced as an outside force can, in this fantasy universe turn it truly into an outside force, and swearing the oath has summoned or created a sort of demonic force which now won't let them go.
    All are possible readings, I think.

A most wonderful synopsis of the potential avenues of thought and ways in which the F-troop could have reversed their thinking. In conjunction with Faenoriel's idea, I wonder two things:
If the Oath IS a compulsion, does it arise from the devotion of the F-troop to Feanor? Is it because of his essential fascination, or a deep love that he was able to inspire, and thus the sacredness, and potentially the supernatural aspect, of their last words to him are the driving force?
OR
Is the compulsion related to the Jewels themselves instead?

Because one gets a different read, a different valuation of the F-troop based on which star we think they are following...a deep and abiding, if misguided loyalty; even fear of failure maybe - or a fatal fascination, a possessive lust, for the Silmarils.

A few references: In Letter #131 (look at me jumping the gun.) "The fall of the Elves comes about through the possessive attitude of Feanor and his seven sons to these gems...their evil oath dogs all their later heroism, generating treacheries and undoing all victories." This written in JRRT's story summation BEFORE the Jewels are stolen by Morgoth. I think this might be important because it is the possessive lust for the return of the Jewels that in part propels the Rebellion and the Return. The beginning, as it were, of the odyssey. Also important is that it directly concerns a living Feanor and his feelings.

Two parts from Sil where the Oath awakens:
"...but now hearing of the renewal of Doriath and of Dior's pride the seven gathered again from wandering, and they sent him (Celegorm I think) to claim their own." In previous sentences we read that no member of F-troop would ever assail Luthien while she wore the Nauglamir. (Of the Ruin of Doriath.)

"But in time the knowledge of their oath unfulfilled returned to torment him and his brothers..." (Of the Voyage of Earandiil.)

These reference though, are both later and do not concern Feanor himself, but just the boys. So with the knowledge that Luthien had a Silmaril, and even after it is made into a pretty thing (costing her father's life) for her to wear - the F-troop takes no action. Fear of Luthien? Adulation of her? The feeling that it belonged with one so fair? Perhaps any or all of those. But in any case, with knowledge of its whereabouts, not enough compulsion awakens related to the Jewel itself to propel them into action.

The quoted reference, in which Luthien and her enchantment, or her intimidation (or both) are no longer the showcase for the Jewel. No, instead we read of "Dior's pride..." which seems to be a tipping point. So we read a 'feeling', perhaps their disappointment in not honoring Feanor and wounded pride themselves, as motivation: not, it would seem, the item itself. And the second reference, to their 'torment' in not fulfilling their Oath, also seems to be a 'feeling' unrelated to possession of the Jewel itself, but to carrying out their last solemn and impassioned words to Feanor.

So I think as Faenoriel's states wonderfully, their 'warped conscience and pride', their devotion to Feanor, drives them. WE may know that though - as well as the narrator's voice perhaps - but another question: do they? Or considering the wording of the Oath do they think it IS supernatural?

To relate it to this chapter (nice right? After I just wandered willy-nilly all over the place) I wonder if they DID think it was supernatural, does that mean their feeling (whichever one) of not assailing Luthien is then stronger than their fear of not fulfilling the Oath?

And I am rather coming down on the side of fear, pride and conscience (albeit a crooked one) being the force. In which case we don't discount the appeal of the Silmarils but the 'Elven' story is the more compelling I think.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jun 26 2013, 5:24pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:21pm

Post #160 of 344 (7716 views)
Shortcut
He did not predestine before He foreknew… [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what St Ambrose is on about, I'm afraid. My failing. Could you give me a Tolkien example?

For example - Eru (or whoever) knows B&L's merits, has determined their reward but does not dictate whether they do the right things to get it?

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:35pm

Post #161 of 344 (7667 views)
Shortcut
Works rather nicely [In reply to] Can't Post

in the philosophical context of the Song, Furincurunir. Especially in First Age matters, prior to the arrival of Men. I would say the JRRT's conception of the Song itself provides for no unanticipated outcomes, but allows for many, many different permutations; all dependent on circumstances but mostly upon the choices of those within its playing. Character I think is not so much influenced by small circumstance, rather like a cosmic Rorschac test. I think the essential bravery and goodness of folks like Beren, Luthien and Bilbo would come through no matter what slightly altered (or even largely altered) reality they found themselves in. (Altered realities? Alternate timelines...could be fun if I encourage you to go there...!!!!!)

Of course anyone but Eru himself would have an acute schizophrenic reaction to thousands of co-existing realities. Even the Valar only know so much. And then Eru gets really interesting a brings out Men, who have even more permutations and whose fates are loose-cannon and of ends unseen. If faith is an essential tenet of the literature, that's a big leap right there.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:44pm

Post #162 of 344 (7668 views)
Shortcut
Bravo, Brethil - [In reply to] Can't Post

Father figure issues? Or silmaril fetishists? Perhaps "SoF" also now stands for So, Observe: Freudian.
Smile

Random thought: is Lúthien nearly Fëanor like in her abilities (not craziness), so it doesn't affront their oathly duties to think of her having a Silmaril (but Pride, yes I agree, that's a challenge to the Sons)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:45pm

Post #163 of 344 (7679 views)
Shortcut
You'd rather I was in an alternate timeline? :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah, just teasing...Smile

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:49pm

Post #164 of 344 (7662 views)
Shortcut
That explanation also explains… [In reply to] Can't Post

The bit in Ch 1 where Arda looks so nice from outside time that those which become the Valar enthusiastically sign up to live there. But once inside time, they discover its not yet as nice as it seemed & they will need to do the work to make the outcomes they saw.

(Tenses easily go wobbly I this kind of discussion: let me know if I'm just babbling!)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 5:58pm

Post #165 of 344 (7662 views)
Shortcut
SoF .... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Father figure issues? Or silmaril fetishists? Perhaps "SoF" also now stands for So, Observe: Freudian. Hmm, true - or Sins Of the Father... Laugh

Random thought: is Lúthien nearly Fëanor like in her abilities (not craziness), so it doesn't affront their oathly duties to think of her having a Silmaril (but Pride, yes I agree, that's a challenge to the Sons) In the sense that they have a reverence, maybe tinged by fear...hmmmm.... Boys, pile up on the Wizard's couch, its time to talk....

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 6:01pm

Post #166 of 344 (7686 views)
Shortcut
No, I like you in our timeline...! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Nah, just teasing...Smile

But I'm sure you do some phasing in and out when none of us are looking! WinkCool

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 6:23pm

Post #167 of 344 (7647 views)
Shortcut
being obliged [In reply to] Can't Post

[faenoriel]
It's all in their head... the Oath only binds them through their (warped) conscience and their pride, so it only becomes relevant when they feel it being relevant.

And yes yes yes, in ancient cultures holding to your words was the most important things and so forth. But the thing is, the Sons are kind of deconstructing that. The sky wouldn't have fallen and their heads wouldn't have caved in if they would have just realized it was a very silly thing to say and let go of the whole thing. Probably Eru would have sent them ten points and a parrot stamp from his halls.
[/faenoriel]

having a strong difference of opinion here, which is (self) amusing, because of my personal stance on fate in the real world.

in the real world, i think the concept of fate is calcified rubbish. i think it's an intellectual construct to make people more comfortable with outcomes, whether positive or negative.

positive instances --

someone narrowly escapes a horrific car crash. states, "it just wasn't my time." this puts some distance between the very real possibility that life could have been snuffed out in an arbitrary instance, and further proffers a sort of "feel good" cocoon that there was some sort of magical protection around that person. that's much more comforting than thinking that it was just random chance -- that one's life could be (and almost was) snuffed out by random chance (or reacting to the brake lights in time, or having quick enough reaction times to swerve in time).

negative examples --

when there's a lost opportunity, not getting a job, or even a death, it's not uncommon to hear "it just wasn't meant to be." that also provides comfort. if it never could be, nothing was at risk, and one doesn't have to look inwards for fault (e.g., not being an early candidate, not having enough skills). in the case of death, it makes it seem as though there's a higher power calling the shots. the struggle for life might seem less hard, because there's all this fate going on.

my cousin sometimes would say something like this about not getting the winning bid at an auction, or getting to an estate sale after much of the good stuff was gone (e.g., "I'm always screwed," "how 'come i never win?" etc.). inwardly, my response was -- well, perhaps you would have gotten a chance at the good stuff at the estate sale, if you had just gotten up earlier (like me). she saw me as lucky. i saw myself as determined and prepared.

i can also think of many people who use the "it just wasn't meant to be" as a consoling thought when something doesn't turn out well, and they sink into lassitude. me, i acknowledge that random chance or a real factor (like someone being faster, having more money) influenced the outcome beyond my ability to countermand, and i resolve to try harder next time. look at where there were things i did not do and could have done, or could have done better -- and do them, to get my desired outcome next time.

so.... back to the feanorians....

despite my lavish disrespect for the idea of fate in real life, i do believe that for tolkien in middle earth, and regarding the oath in particular, it was quite the real thing.

aside from the oath, tolkien writes that elves were bound by arda and by fate (whatever that means), while the edain were not bound by either. he repeats those themes a lot, combined with the language of the oath, and what mandos had to say about it, and the aftermath, i think the oath was a real, viable thing -- without agency, but having certain properties -- like an element -- that influence and interact with their environment.

i don't think the oath was just in the heads of the sons of feanor.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jun 26 2013, 6:25pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 6:24pm

Post #168 of 344 (7673 views)
Shortcut
After the afterlife [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what mandos granted beren was unheard of, and countermanded the fate of the second-born... it was probably a one-time only thing, and special dispensation must have been granted by eru (who probably had this in mind all along).

i think part of it is poetic -- if you do bring a character back from the dead and that person mixes with the rest of us, we're going to ask that person, "so what was it like?" by removing beren and luthien to a disclosed but isolated location, they are living proof of mercy and faith, but the mystery endures.

but faith, by definition, can have no proof.... so their existence after the halls of mandos visit.... how do we know? who visited them? did they have servants? or did they do all for themselves, in a sort of rustic purity (which tolkien admired)?

perhaps the more "proof" that luthien and beren have returned is given, the more faith is undermined. best to leave it sketchy.

Having had the hero and heroine discussion previously (haha) I came across a lovely bit in #153, relating to both their afterlife together in Arda as well as I think a very wonderful and classically inspired tribute to Luthien:

""In the primary story of Luthien and Beren, Luthien is allowed as an absolute exception to divest herself of 'immortality' and become 'mortal' - but when Beren is slain by the Wolf-warden of the Gates of Hell, Luthien obtains a brief respite in which they both return to Middle Earth 'alive' - though not mingling with other people: a kind of Orpheus-legend in reverse, but one of Pity not of Inexorability."

So you are correct Telpemairo, it is a one-time special dispensation from Eru (and his pity for their tale, as well as that of Mandos). I love here the parallel to Orpheus by swapping the gender and having the Elf-maid be the hero who through her talents and deeds earns back her love from the dead. Angelic

And I would guess to that the isolation would be both a welcome and intimate respite for them both; as JRRT has such a value on Faith it must be preserved as such. Others may not aspire to this choice - so it must stand alone. I suppose I do picture them as rather rustic...in the pattern of a later, smaller hero, living a simple life. (For myself, I like this picture!)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 6:36pm

Post #169 of 344 (7635 views)
Shortcut
will also add... re fate [In reply to] Can't Post

will also add, re fate...

one person's fate might be another person's "i can totally see what's coming down the pike."

hyper-exaggeration....

based on its understanding of the world, a small child wants to slide down the 100-year-old banister of polished oak in the stately mansion. the butler advises the child that this is not a good idea. he's seen a lot of this thing through the decades, and some nasty spills. but he also knows, by experience, that small children often ignore him.

and so the small child does. and gets a nasty spill.

now, the butler couldn't absolutely predict that the child would ignore his advice, nor could the butler absolutely predict that, once ignored, it would absolutely result in a tumble.

but to that small child, the butler might now seem somewhat omniscient.

perhaps a lot (but not all) of what the valar predict is due to their more mature and wise status. so, some things in which we might have free will might seem fated to us, but it may not be so (in middle earth).

and, still asserting that fate was most definitely a real thing for tolkien and middle earth.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

telain
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 7:44pm

Post #170 of 344 (7647 views)
Shortcut
and might I add? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fate is very different in The Silmarillion than in the RW, because those who more or less determine fate are actual sentient beings with whom one could interact with. And with whom Feanor did interact with, to the rest of the Noldor's chagrin.

as well, the Valar: Keepers of Fate have emotions that can sway their interpretation of "consequences" (well, emotions apart from fear...) We've already noted several times throughout the reading of The Sil that they are rather naive in certain, erm,... circumstances. Who is to say that they might (or might not) take issue with the SoF and deal a few more "consequences" in their direction for not upholding an Oath? They punished them for the Kinslaying, why not punish them further?

so, I agree with you, Maciliel; the SoF's Oath Upholding is actually rather important. The fact that the "Oath slept" may be just as much a product of there not being any Silmarils within acceptable reach ("out of sight, out of mind"); their acquisition considered so impossible that Thingol made it a condition on Beren marrying his daughter. Perhaps the SoF decided "impossible" would make no sense if no SoF was there to actually enjoy the thing.

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 8:20pm

Post #171 of 344 (7636 views)
Shortcut
always a pleasure to hear your thoughts, telain [In reply to] Can't Post

(btw, i think you were the first one to respond to me in the reading room.... you responded to my comment that feanor was a "hot coal pit." : ) )

good point about the fatemakers in this world having emotions to cloud their angelic judgement -- which would still have consequences for the judged.

it's interesting that the words of the oath called everlasting darkness (or something similar) upon any oathbreaker... .that sounds like something only eru could do... only eru has the power to change the fate of the elves (who are bound to arda). the most the valar could do (aside from manipulate events to harry them) would be to lock them up in mandos.

so.... i'm not sure that everlasting darkness awaits the oathbreakers, but i still think the oath has reactive/interactive powers, and still may fall to interpretation via the valar.

my sense, too, is that when the oath "sleeps," it seems often to be an affect of accessibility. i doubt the oath would be sleeping if the silmarils were ornamenting melain's earbobs.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2013, 8:33pm

Post #172 of 344 (7618 views)
Shortcut
Oath power and subjectivity [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it's interesting that the words of the oath called everlasting darkness (or something similar) upon any oathbreaker... .that sounds like something only eru could do... only eru has the power to change the fate of the elves (who are bound to arda). the most the valar could do (aside from manipulate events to harry them) would be to lock them up in mandos.

so.... i'm not sure that everlasting darkness awaits the oathbreakers, but i still think the oath has reactive/interactive powers, and still may fall to interpretation via the valar.

I think an interesting aspect of the Oath is the uncertainty that we have (as readers, and as spectators to the SoF) of its validity and its supernatural ability. What I mean here is that JRRT skillfully used distinct voices and knowledge bases for his characters - they don't always agree with the narrator, and they don't always know what the narrator (or the reader) knows. So here, since the Oath is an unseen thing, a thing of speech, belief and thought, the matter of its existence of non-existence is quite subjective. For the Sons of Feanor, as it is both unprovable and undismissable, (a veritable Schrodinger's cat) it was, ergo, real: because they believed it. It certainly exerts a powerful force upon them, whether they perceive it as a thing external to them or not. Whether or not there would have been a consequence in not keeping it from the divine - we will never know. Their feeling and their belief was strong enough to propel them forward.

We know Celebrimor stepped aside - but as a grandson of Feanor and not one who swore and Oath, we cannot judge based on his fate either way. So I feel rather Elvish, saying yes and no...it is internal, yet it is real. Sly

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:42am

Post #173 of 344 (7600 views)
Shortcut
No, you said "the middle one," lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Great point about the narrator's frequent commentary on the evils of Feanor's Oath vs what the book characters actually say about it. The SOF discuss it, most notably when only the M-brothers are left. But does anyone else? Do we see:

Fingolfin to Fingon: "You know, we could probably unite all of Beleriand to defeat Morgoth if it weren't for that dang Oath of Feanor sowing dissent among us."

Aredhel to Eol: "You must avoid my cousins on your border. They're mean and took a terrible Oath once that got us evicted from Valinor. I like hunting with them, but they'd rip me to shreds if I ever kept a Silmaril from them. You can't choose your relatives, you know."

I wonder if the leaders of Beleriand had the big picture view of the narrator that the Oath was behind so much evil, or if they just thought the SOF were problematic, and you didn't need to know about their Oath to distrust them.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:49am

Post #174 of 344 (7601 views)
Shortcut
I agree with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if/where it's ever written down, but I think Tolkien thought the Beren/Luthien descendants continued into the modern times, and not as peasants. Not that he'd literally say the House of Windsor was Half-Elven, but I think the thought in his books is that B&L's line continues to the present and and end of the world.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 12:54am

Post #175 of 344 (7664 views)
Shortcut
Tis dangerous to awaken the slumbering Oath of Hollywood, Wiz [In reply to] Can't Post

Thou becomest trappedth in quotes, and thy only hope of escape is a good movie agent or a strike by the filmworkers' union.

If there was some way to make sense of the geography and other backstory to a non-Silmarillion audience, I think it would make an excellent stand-alone movie.

Now, to find crowbar to rescue Wiz.

Help! I'm stuck in a quote box, and I'm running out of lembas.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.