Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elijah Wood confirms he won't be appearing in the forthcoming films
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 2:19pm

Post #1 of 67 (2210 views)
Shortcut
Elijah Wood confirms he won't be appearing in the forthcoming films Can't Post

At least as things currently stand. I wonder if this applies to Ian Holm as well?

http://www.iamrogue.com/news/movie-news/item/9156-iar-exclusive-elijah-wood-not-appearing-in-the-hobbit-sequels.html

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 2:37pm

Post #2 of 67 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

His scene with Ian Holm is probably my least favorite of AUJ.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Imladris18
Lorien

Jun 26 2013, 2:49pm

Post #3 of 67 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Eh, it was kinda awkward, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was a nice little touch.

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jun 26 2013, 2:51pm

Post #4 of 67 (973 views)
Shortcut
I liked the prologue! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 3:08pm

Post #5 of 67 (958 views)
Shortcut
Overindulgent [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was awkward, overindulgent, unnecessary, and completely stopped the film dead in it's tracks. I could handle everything else if it meant getting rid of this scene. That's how much it bothers me.

And just so we're clear, it has nothing to do with either of the actors. I loved them in their roles in LOTR, but they were completely out of place in this film.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 67 (860 views)
Shortcut
That's what I figured [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be the case. I really enjoyed that part in AUJ but I am totally ok wit no more.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 3:37pm

Post #7 of 67 (880 views)
Shortcut
This makes sense, but we'll probably be seeing/hearing Ian Holm again [In reply to] Can't Post

While the scene with the two of them probably should have been EE-exclusive, Ian Holm's voice was perfect for the Prologue and hope we get to hear more narration from him at some point. I'm guessing TABA will end with him.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 3:41pm

Post #8 of 67 (841 views)
Shortcut
I liked Holm's narration. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got a good voice for it, and the sense of awe and wonder in his voice as he described the fall of Erebor was fantastic.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 4:06pm

Post #9 of 67 (817 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

No offense to Elijah Wood but I found his cameo utterly pointless and a waste of screentime, mind you I'm biased as I never really liked him much as Frodo. Ian Holm though I could see returing in a bridging sequence as a young Frodo is dropped on his doorstep folling the death of his parents (I believe Ryan Gage playing Alfrid was originally cast as Frodo's father) I'm still not sure who was the better Bilbo out of him and Freeman.

Hopefully this will allow more time fro Thorin and Company in DOS and TABA

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

nhui06
Rivendell

Jun 26 2013, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 67 (794 views)
Shortcut
That's cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved his brief appearance in AUJ, but I also loved his exit (going to surprise Gandalf). It was nice to see a familiar face before we dove into our new adventure.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 26 2013, 4:33pm

Post #11 of 67 (805 views)
Shortcut
The Epilogue I Hope To See [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was nice to see a familiar face before we dove into our new adventure.

I agree. The intro helped pull me back into the ME of LOTR on some mental level. It makes sense not to end with a similar epilogue; hopefully it will be some foreboding nod to Sauron back at Barad Dur and his One Ring at Bag End.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 4:53pm

Post #12 of 67 (811 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm's appearance was the biggest problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

It told all those who were new to the films that:

Bilbo survives
He finishes his adventure in one piece
He returns home
He lives a fairly long healthy and prosperous life afterward.

Which takes any sense of danger out of his character's experiences - which is particularly bad in something that's being presented as an epic tale.

There was an easy way round this - he could still narrate, or even appear in the opening scenes, but not let the audience know who he is. That uncertainty would put back some of the tension in the - so far very not tense - battle and danger scenes, as new audiences would wonder whether the old man at the beginning is Bilbo, or a friend or relative, who's telling a story about how foolish young Bilbo went on an adventure and was never seen again. That approach could have satisfied both LOTR first and Hobbit first people, if done carefully.

Of course that doesn't fit in with the current idea that audiences are so thick that they need everything handed to them on a plate, with 'this way up' printed on it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 5:05pm

Post #13 of 67 (776 views)
Shortcut
How many people watching the film have ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Read the book, and know Bilbo survives; or have seen The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, and know Bilbo survives?

I'm guessing that's the majority of the audience. The minority probably aren't bothered that they know he survives.

Smile

Imladris18
Lorien

Jun 26 2013, 5:06pm

Post #14 of 67 (702 views)
Shortcut
True, but - [In reply to] Can't Post

At the same time, anyone who knows anything about LotR (films or books) knows that he survives.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 5:08pm

Post #15 of 67 (702 views)
Shortcut
Good. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Prologue was fine, and it worked for me.

But he has no place in the rest of the films.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 5:12pm

Post #16 of 67 (727 views)
Shortcut
Interesting - no Drogo? [In reply to] Can't Post

While I've been clutching on to straws for a long time, I guess that the Drogo cameo is completely gone now. I know Gage was re-cast as Alfrid, but I was still hoping for a cameo.

Wood/Frodo not appearing I'm not bothered about. Ian Holm will always Bilbo to me - I hope he appears one more time.

(Does that mean that the prologue isn't a bookend scene, since there's only one of them?)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 5:25pm

Post #17 of 67 (678 views)
Shortcut
Good. [In reply to] Can't Post

(And agree with everything you've said.)

In Reply To
No offense to Elijah Wood but I found his cameo utterly pointless and a waste of screentime, mind you I'm biased as I never really liked him much as Frodo. Ian Holm though I could see returing in a bridging sequence as a young Frodo is dropped on his doorstep folling the death of his parents (I believe Ryan Gage playing Alfrid was originally cast as Frodo's father) I'm still not sure who was the better Bilbo out of him and Freeman.

Hopefully this will allow more time fro Thorin and Company in DOS and TABA

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 5:29pm

Post #18 of 67 (701 views)
Shortcut
I cannae agree hen. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read the book, at the age of 7 or 8, I had no idea what was going to happen on the next page. Likewise for LOTR. I'm sure that there are many children now, and in the future, who will come to The Hobbit first, knowing nothing about the story. OK, the story is now so famous that it's become part of the folklore, but there is a difference between being vaguely aware of the outcome of a tale, and having it presented to you at the very start.

Also, there's a neat little trick that a lot of people use when they read or watch a story they already know - they pretend to themselves that they don't know the outcome - or choose to forget it. Bunging in the answer at the outset makes that much harder to do.

Anyway, as I pointed out, all that was needed was a tiny change in the script - that would provide enough doubt to keep newcomers guessing a bit.

Plus - you'd be surprised what people don't already know - there was a grown-up 'business man' on the Apprentice the other day who didn't know what a carrot was. Also, some of the Hobbit cast themselves, were completely unfamiliar with the plot of The Hobbit at the start of filming. I doubt that Billy Connolly has a clue what's going on, even after filming.

In Reply To
Read the book, and know Bilbo survives; or have seen The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, and know Bilbo survives?

I'm guessing that's the majority of the audience. The minority probably aren't bothered that they know he survives.

Smile

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 5:44pm

Post #19 of 67 (771 views)
Shortcut
Yes, which begs the question [In reply to] Can't Post

what was he doing there in the first place?

Absolutely nothing, i think.

Fan service? Making a comeback for the sake of elijah and memories?

I may appreciate his on screen cameo, but whats his purpose there...

Old Bilbo was enough for me.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 26 2013, 5:44pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 6:16pm

Post #20 of 67 (642 views)
Shortcut
Ha lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt that Billy Connolly has a clue what's going on, even after filming

'I cannae Understand wha yar saying Mister Jackson...'

In addition to his ignorance/indifference to the book, I seem to remember Connoly saying he had a terrible memory for learnind dialogue. I guess there could be some pretty funny outakes as he tries to get to grips with Khuzdul...

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 6:19pm

Post #21 of 67 (695 views)
Shortcut
Fanservice, of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the apparent need to shoehorn in as many references to the LOTR trilogy.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 6:21pm

Post #22 of 67 (645 views)
Shortcut
While I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not always about suspense and the final outcome. Often it's just about the journey. That's why I like to reread or rewatch my favorite stories - because I like the characters and the journey they go on.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 6:25pm

Post #23 of 67 (661 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

which only shows how little confidence jackson has with TH as a story, and its ability to stand on its own, if hes constantly inserting references to his previous films, IE living in the shadow of them.

Im guessing we might come back to old bilbo, but not to frodo.

Fine by me.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2013, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 67 (622 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it could be argued that the Bilbo prologue makes us curious about that journey, not only giving us tantalizing glimpses of things brought back as Frodo rummages through Bilbo;s stuff, but also by presenting us with the contrast of Bilbo and Bag End, 60 years apart. What experiences did Young Bilbo have, that caused him to grow into Old Bilbo and no longer care about his mother's doilies Wink?

Not that I am a fan of this scene...I did feel it slowed the start of the movie.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 26 2013, 6:42pm

Post #25 of 67 (631 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see the article today where Jackson said he's enjoying deviating from the story? That was very disappointing to me, and quite a blow. I wish someone with more faith in the story and the character of Bilbo would have adapted this book.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.