The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Balrog, The Ring, And a besieged Lorien
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 25 2008, 6:42am

Post #101 of 108 (692 views)
Shortcut
Great minds thinking alike, on the few equals at least 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

THough I get your seven peice, of course it may have been a small oversight. There may have been seven not inculding their Lord Gothmog. . . lots of possibilities. At the end we don't know, but the probability exists. . . as for the Mountain ranges. . . You would likely have said that Khazad-Dum, greatest and most heavily populated of the dwarf halls, visited by Elves, Galadriel herself having passed through it in earlier times, would have been an unlikely place for one of the Demon Lords to hide. . . and yet we know one was there. So in mountains Blue or Gray the possibility remains very real, as The Balrogs alluded to hid at the roots of mountains, not in plain sight for any to stumble over.

As to the Ash and heat near Orodruin. . . Shadow and FLAME lol. I don't think fumes and hot air were problems for the scourges of fire. They were closely related to the Bearer of the Sun after all, whom few could come near.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 25 2008, 6:43pm

Post #102 of 108 (641 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, But... [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, but...

LOL. Cool

"You would likely have said that Khazad-Dum, greatest and most heavily populated of the dwarf halls, visited by Elves, Galadriel herself having passed through it in earlier times, would have been an unlikely place for one of the Demon Lords to hide."

The point you are making is valid, it sounds highly unlikely & seems to point out how scared Durin's Bane must've been to just hide in the first place in the mountains that was already mined outside the Beleriand, but the point I was making was not that any of Morgoth's servants wouldn't hide in those other places, but that they'd be discovered, which, of course, Durin's Bane was......

The places I mentioned as being inhabited were all likely to uncover a servant of Morgoth in the 6419 of the 2nd & 3rd Ages, except the Grey Mountains, Ephel Duath & Ered Lithui. . .

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 26 2008, 6:50am

Post #103 of 108 (658 views)
Shortcut
except the Grey Mountains, Ephel Duath & Ered Lithui. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that leaves quite a bit of walking around space, even for a 14 to 20 foot demon captain, doesn't it. LOL And yes, Durin's Bane was discovered. . . after near onto six hundred centuries! LOL. Maybe another Balrog WAS unleashed in the Gray Mountains. . . in the 5th age. ShockedSly And What of Rhun and Far Harad. . . There is no telling how far the swift Balrogs and other horrors might have fled, and what, save the other Ainur, could have hampered their flight?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 28 2008, 3:11pm

Post #104 of 108 (633 views)
Shortcut
Opinions Are Like..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think at this point it's a matter of opinions, that's all. The fact's do back up my opions though.....

BTW, it was only 38 centuries ubtil Durin's Bane was found & Tolkien gives several indications that evil things were 'awoken' by Sauron's reappearing in both the 2nd & 3rd Ages, especially in the 3rd, so why wouldn't any hidden servants of Morgoth have reappered as well, as did Orcs, Trolls & dragons?
Besides there's no mention of them.......

Also, what other Maiar are mentioned as serving Morgoth besides Sauron & Balrogs?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 28 2008, 4:59pm

Post #105 of 108 (643 views)
Shortcut
As with Ungoliante [In reply to] Can't Post

The indication is that there were other evil Maia, who hearkened to Melkor's discord at the worlds creation, but did not follow him into service. Sauron and The Balrogs were the greatest of his servants, but there are allusions that other fell things may have dwelt in the far flung reaches of the world, things of spirit origin, corrupted by the influence of Melkor, but not under his dominion.

The primary reason that The Balrog of Moria is listed is because The Fellowship encounters him. Also, it may be that the awakening of a Balrog in some remote region of the world may not have had the same immediate impact that the awakening of Morias dread occupant had (i.e. the slaying of dwarf kings, the flight of an entire dwarf kingdom, and of a third of a neighboring Elf kingdom).

I think it more accurate to say that, in this matter, there really aren't very many facts to support any opinion, and there is tons of room for speculation in a dozen different directions. I have never even seen a map of Rhun or Far Harad! lol

Why aren't the colour devices working today?

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 28 2008, 6:41pm

Post #106 of 108 (639 views)
Shortcut
There Is A Map, BUT.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Tolkien made an early map that shows all of Harad & Rhun, the one that Karen Fonstad uses to take liberties with in her Atlas of M-E.

Still, all that map really does is confirm the shape of Middle-Earth matches the 'Eurasian-African Land Mass', which of course Tolkien based Middle-Earth on. Putting the Mountain ranges in as Fonstad does is a bit of a reach, but we do know that somewhere in the East in the Mountain range where the Elves arose, plus the SEa of Helchar. How she came up with the range in Harad & why it disappeared, you got me - guess I shoulda read more?

Now, back to that Maiar thing.
We're going in circles here.....

The point isn't that there were others besides Sauron & the Balrogs who served Morgoth because Ungoliant was clearly one example.
The point of this discussion is whether any were at The Last Battle between The Host of The West when Thangorodrim was broken & fled & Tolkien states clearly what did flee. The absense of information is not the presence of proof.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 29 2008, 6:04am

Post #107 of 108 (625 views)
Shortcut
Yes, another Balrog escaped [In reply to] Can't Post

Escaped, and after destroying the Mountain range in Far Harad as a show of force, mastered the distant south of the world. lol

Who knows. I will have to look at that Atlas map again. But we are getting into the far reaches of speculation here. Lets stick with the Balrog we know for now. Wink

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jan 29 2008, 6:04am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 7:56pm

Post #108 of 108 (806 views)
Shortcut
Impressions are not math ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

My "impression" that a LOT of things were hidden in the earth admittedly come from two things - the Balrog and Shelob (and the spiders in Mirkwood). They are remnants of Ungoliant and Morgoth. The impression I have of Middle Earth is that the things of Morgoth basically have riddled middle earth. Many of them are below-ground things. Orcs. Trolls. It's an impression, like one gets from looking at a painting. I can look at a painting of a sunny farmhouse and get an impression of the world it belongs to. It may not be my world. It may be a world full of sunny grassy fields and happy farmers and children playing in peace. The war between the Valar and Morgoth was a huge war that destroyed and sunk a part of the continent, and it involved thousands of exotic creatures and spirits. The "impression" that Tolkien makes for me when it is possible for Dwarves to dig up an ancient Balrog from that war, is that the Dwarves not only made one mistake, but that they should be careful of making the same mistake again. Even old artifacts from the upheaval of that war are found, such as the swords from Gondolin. Now of course I'm not saying every 3rd yard of soil contains a Balrog or some other unknown horror. But the impression I have that remnants of Morgoth's forces, and other dark creatures, inhabit below and above the ground I believe is a reasonable impression.

I'll respond more later when I have the time, but I was able to type this out hurriedly. Enjoying the conversation thus far. Smile

Great, where are we going?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.