Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson not Directing

dodes

Dec 23 2007, 8:57am

Post #1 of 14 (1357 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson not Directing Can't Post

If Peter Jackson does not write and direct we can only expect the same as the Jurassic park films, in that Spielberg had little involvement on the third one and it turned out to be one of the worst sequels ever made. (im only using the jp films as a reference and not saying that any of them are any good).
Even though it looks like someone else will do it I will still watch it but wonder what would have Peter Jacksons Hobbit have been like ????

Rogash
Bree

Dec 23 2007, 9:02am

Post #2 of 14 (1058 views)
Shortcut
So.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ doesn't direct it,I will boycott it...
I have fear for the poor Bilbo Baggins...

Bro9Oing

Dec 23 2007, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 14 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Will not work! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Everyone, This my first post. I will give my opinion. I do not think it will work at all. It just will not have the look at feel of the Jackson directed LOTR trilogy.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2007, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 14 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, [In reply to] Can't Post

Bro90ing, glad to see you. The Hobbit movie news has certainly brought lots of new people. What would you think if some of the other unit directors who directed LOTR directed the Hobbit?

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 23 2007, 10:04pm

Post #5 of 14 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Hi everybody! [In reply to] Can't Post

To who's new. Mae Govannen! What an adventure we are going to have, however it turns out!

Unfortunately I think that Bro is right. New Line has said that they will be hiring their own team of producers, and presumably scriptwriters as well. They're making reassuring noises to people about PJ and Fran having some oversight of the script, but ONLY if someone asks them directly about it. Which hasn't been too many people so far. I have a nasty feeling that as soon as the fan attention wears off (or at least the direct fan and media inquiries), Shaye will do what he darn well pleases.

I'm afraid we'll be living out the "Mirimax scenario" (as in LOTR staying in the control of Mirimax in 1997, instead of going to NL) Harvey Weinstein, the "control freak" CEO of Mirimax, was going to hire his own team of scriptwriters, etc.

One of the reasons that LOTR turned out the way it did was that Peter, Fran and Philippa not only were the directors and producers, but the scriptwriters as well. So that there wasn't anyone from the studio staring down their throats every second, no one from Corporate far away in Hollywood making sure that the script stuck to the Studio plan. PJ, Fran and Philippa were thus free to experiment, to come up with new ideas on a daily basis, sometimes improvising even on the set, adding or taking away ideas as they pleased. They didn;t have to worry that their "new" work might be cut out by anyone back in Hollywood. So the whole filmmaking process was seamless and flowed smoothly, with no conflicts among staff, or hitches due to fights over creative control. Some of the best scenes in the Trilogy--such as Arwen';s vision of Aragorn with their child in ROTK, which was both written and directed by Fran-- came about this spontaneous way.

One thing to remember: the assistant directors mostly filmed things like wilderness scenes, distant shots, etc. (like the refugees leaving Edoras in TTT.) The only scenes with close-up dialogue, "character" scenes, (the ones that really count) were directed by Fran.

Who along with Peter is now named Executive Producer as well. Why was it so important to New Line for Fran to be named Exec Producer too, not just Peter? When Fran was not credited with directing LOTR? I'm sure if he really wanted to, Peter could have "snuck" Fran under the table, so to speak..leaving her open for future options. But Shaye saw through all this and headed that scenario off.

I'm one of the skeptics on this Board, and I will continue to be so until December of 2010!Smile The reason is that I have been following the sad saga of The Golden Compass all year, and how Shaye meddled in the film's production and specifically how he treated Chris Weitz, the director. Do I think he learned his lesson, and realized that he needs to give Jackson as much creative control as possible, even though he'll only be Executive Producer? Right now my Spidey-sense (pun intended) says no.
The New Line brass mostly kept their paws off LOTR while it was in development, and when it was done, they didn't even have any test screenings. Several industry rules were broken with LOTR--it wasn't the way things were usually done.
And it shows in the result. This time, NL is desperate for money,so they'll be keeping the whole production under an iron fist, to make sure its as "safe" as possible, with little artistic experimentation. That's my opinion, anyway.

But you never know....so let's have fun on the ride!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 23 2007, 10:05pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 25 2007, 6:09am

Post #6 of 14 (946 views)
Shortcut
Howdy! Welcome to TORn :) This is gonna be fun!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2007, 5:43am

Post #7 of 14 (947 views)
Shortcut
First of all welcome... [In reply to] Can't Post

Secondly, I am on the "everything will turn out all right" camp.

The reason the settlement was so low in amount of money was that Jackson will be holding much more control over the production than that he had in LOTR.

Additionally, I still do believe he will direct both films, and that if he doesn't do one, it will NOT be Raimi, but Cuarón or Del Toro.

Finally, it will be a single story divided in two parts. An extended Hobbit, as we've called it. Additional stroylines will be intertwined with the core story. There won't be a bridge movie.

Just wanted to say these are not good wishes, but rather what I firmly believe will happen with these films. Wink

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 26 2007, 6:27pm

Post #8 of 14 (911 views)
Shortcut
There's a difference between Jurassic Park 3 and the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, but the difference between Spielburg's name being attached to Jurassic Park 3, and Jackson name being attached to the Hobbit is that the latter has a really good story. Also, there is absolutely no indication at this stage that Jackson will be as uninvolved in The Hobbit as Spielburg was with Jurassic Park 3. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. Jackson would not be signed on if he did not want to be invovled in this. And obviously he does, because it was his two movie deal idea that won MGM to his side. Therefore it seems reasonable to think that Jackson does have a personal interest in these movies, even if he is not directing. My advice, don't worry just yet.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 12:10am

Post #9 of 14 (932 views)
Shortcut
Fair and Balanced perspective. Lets have a little reality on the Direction of The hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I have long been a viewer of this website, and often voted in its polls, but this is my first time posting as a member. And yet I felt the need was great. Too much prejudice and jaded pseudo-soothsaying is going on here regarding the hobbit, and much has been forgotten.

First, I call to mind the reactions of many when first we learned that Peter was doing LOTR. Oh, but there were many fearful cries at the prospect of a man famed for The Frighnters and The Feebles tackling Tolkein. And then lo, he did a really good job with the master work, and some were made to bite their tongues.

Yet righteous gripping still persisted, and on a few instances I was among the irrate, though I loved the films overall. "Why was Arwen at The Ford of Bruinein?" Some asked. "Where was Glorfindel?" "Why has Gandalf's magic, so impressive and explosive in the books, been reduced to a shadow of itself?" "Why did Shadowfax kick Denethor into the fire?" , "Why does Galadriel not finish her paragraph of explanation as to why Frodo's coming is as The Footstep of Doom to the Elves?" good questions all, and they went on and on and on.

Now news comes that, even though to our great joy Jackson will be producing, someone else will be directing, and suddenly some of the harshest critics of the trilogy films have forgotten all mistakes made, declared the films (great as they were) to be without any flaw (which they were NOT), and have decided that in all the green world, Jackson alone has the talent to do a good job with what Tolkein has already written wonderfully. Indeed, you are so emphatic, that you would wait until 2015 or later when Mckellen and Christopher Lee, who we all want to see in both films, may well not even be up to reprising their former roles. They are not young men.

Mellon, stop being irrational and give everyone a break and a fair chance. Jackson will be involved in the films, probably heavily. Many of the same sets, props and actors will be used, so the notion that it will feel too different is unlikey. Though it must also be said that film one, The Hobbit, SHOULD feel different. It READS differently, it is a children's fairy tail, with epic aspects, which connects to a larger, true Epic, but is not quite an epic in an of itself. It should have dark and tense moments, but the overall mood should be much more like the first hour and a half of The Fellowship of The Ring, and not at all like the grim mood of The Two Towers and The Return of The king.

With Jackson producing, any good director who reads the material thoroughly and appreciates it will be able to do a good or even excellent job with this film. Alfonso Curaunt, Woflgang Petersen (who worked magic with the original Neverending Story, the only good one in the series) Ridley Scott, possibly even Ron Howard, could all work wonders with the film, under Jackson's direction. It would have Jacksons visual scope and detail, and perhaps leave out his tndency to make crude humour of serious moments (Denethor's passing. And besides, The Hobbit is quite humoruous on its own), and might also avoid adding things that didn't and probably would not have happened (like the breaking of Gandalf's staff by the Witch-King of Angmar in ROTK extended.)

Instead of holding up production with premptive whining, sight unseen, lets focus our efforts on seeing to it that the film is made correctly, whoever directs. Most of the original films best material was where it adhered most closely to the source material, and let us not forget that fear of the dread wrath of uber-fans probably played a factor in Jackson's own careful handling of the epic.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2007, 12:14am

Post #10 of 14 (887 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 1:32am

Post #11 of 14 (899 views)
Shortcut
A-O, your input is quite interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

and reassuring also. I know i am leary of others directing. I know Jackson had a dubious past with the movies he made, but once in a great while a 'Cinderella Story' does occur. I do think that what is forgotten is Jackson's long and continued (peerless) calm and perhaps serene focus to what was i feel was the most daunting challenge ever, concerning a cinematic creation. Perhaps he wants to take a step back and let the arduous attention to minute details to another so he can be more reflective as to the 'grand scope' of the production.
But i will tell you want; i am really concerned with the dilution of the Hobbit (with just one Movie), for the sake of a 'history lesson' as a sequel. I am most interested in your thoughts concerning this.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Well! What do you know, it snowed.
Season's greetings with thoughts of Rivendell

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 2:04am

Post #12 of 14 (893 views)
Shortcut
Dilution and history [In reply to] Can't Post

First, I am just desperate to see it made within the proposed time frame. Beyond that, I think film two can and should focus on history lesson aspects. Film one MUST be, simply, The Hobbit. Oh there can be brief flash backs to Gandalf and Thrain in Dol Guldur, a brief scene of The Council, but the main focus should be core hobbit story, which with a good 200 pages less to translate than The Fellowship of The Ring, should be fully manageable in one 2 and a half to three hour movie.

Film two absolutely aught to have Gandalf in Dol Guldur, and at some point will hopefully work in both his explosive spells against the wargs and his great battle with all nine of The Nazgul wraith-kings atop the windy hill of Amon Sul, fantastic scenes which were, sadly, left out of both versions of The Fellowship.

Also the council scenes must be in. GLORFINDEL MUST BE AT THE COUNCIL, as must Saruman, as played by Lee, and so please, for God's sake, will everyone shut up about waiting five years for Jackson to direct. If you must harangue, make him push back tin tin. I still say, all will be fine if not awesome with Jackson producing and some other talented, dedicated artist at the directing helm.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 27 2007, 2:23am

Post #13 of 14 (887 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done some thinking. Maybe, if Shaye tries to meddle too much, or tries to put the thumbscrews on the director regarding either the director's filmmaking process or PJ's contributions, PJ can go screaming to Sloan at MGM, who will sit down and give Shaye a friendly little talk. We all know Sloan wanted PJ and still prefers him. And in the end New Line needs MGM to finance. I'm thinking MGM won't let NL make a mess of things. It might turn out well.
So I'll relent, like, .05%Sly

But anyway, great thoughts A-O! (can we call you that?Smile

As much as I am a skeptic, I thank God we got at least the Announcement now. I don't know how any sane American is going to be able to make it through this Election Year (for starters), and this is best blessing and distraction anyone can have. It's like a ray of sunlight in a darkening world.

(For all you non-Yanks on here, you CANNOT IMAGINE the Campaign Ad Horrors that start earlier and earlier in the year every election year. And that was BEFORE they all a)turned into attack ads, and b) actually had something to say about the candidates' policies...)
The news on TORN might be more substantive than what we hear in the media!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 27 2007, 2:28am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 3:40am

Post #14 of 14 (928 views)
Shortcut
But remember now, a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

of the FOTR. Ol' Tom, the Barrow-downs, elements of the flight from Bree to Rivendell, MUCH of Rivendell AND Lothlorien and more i can't remember just now (bedtime)were omitted.
So i feel there is not enough time even with 3+ hours to do proper justice to the Hobbit. The Hobbit needs to be longer than that. With Silverlode's narration idea, important history elements can be woven into the story so the momentum can be carried with force through 2 whole movies. ......I know, i know of course, that is what Extended Editions are for. How silly of meTongue

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Well! What do you know, it snowed.
Season's greetings with thoughts of Rivendell

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.