Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone prefer the new look of the orcs to the old look?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2013, 11:52am

Post #1 of 16 (844 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone prefer the new look of the orcs to the old look? Can't Post

I'm not talking about Azog here, just the orcs in general. Yes, I know there were a few orcs who were guys in prosthetics, but it seems that a good portion of the orcs in AUJ were either totally CGI, or had CGI heads put on real bodies. I can't find the article, but apparently Jackson has said that he would have done the LOTR orcs with CGI if he could go back. Personally, I think most of the AUJ orcs looked pretty cartoonish and not the least bit intimidating (for instance, the Warg scout who sniffed the air looking for the dwarves, and the orc that Bilbo killed in to save Thorin). Anyway, how many of you felt the digital orcs of AUJ looked in any way better than the "real-looking" orcs of LOTR?

Bumpypotato
Bree

Jun 25 2013, 12:04pm

Post #2 of 16 (453 views)
Shortcut
It depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on the orc. Some of the orcs in the rings trilogy looked pretty dodgy, and some of the CG orcs in the Hobbit could have been better.

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jun 25 2013, 12:13pm

Post #3 of 16 (419 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty much my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

too, bumpypotato

It depends on the orc. Some of the orcs in the rings trilogy looked pretty dodgy, and some of the CG orcs in the Hobbit could have been better.

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jun 25 2013, 12:38pm

Post #4 of 16 (424 views)
Shortcut
In retrospect, some of the orcs in LOTR were rather "stiff-faced" [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially the Uruk-Hai, but overall I think PJ and WETA did a good job on the orcs in LOTR. However, I like the new orc designs as well, and IMO the CGI helped Azog, for intance, to look more menacing than if he had been an actor with prosthetics, because the CGI allows for full facial expressions in a way that prosthetics doesn't. Can't wait to see what they've done with Bolg, and if he's all prosthetics or if he's been "CGI enhanced" in some way...

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 25 2013, 1:10pm

Post #5 of 16 (371 views)
Shortcut
Keep in mind [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at the goblins of Moria as well and remember they are all different tribes..... Misty Mountain goblins, Orcs of Mordor, Orsc of Minas Morgul and the Uruk Hai all a bit diffeent but basically orcs.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Brego93
The Shire

Jun 25 2013, 1:21pm

Post #6 of 16 (343 views)
Shortcut
I think they have done a fantastic job on both films. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the LOTR orcs and the hobbit orcs! The only orc designs I dont like are some of those in prosthetics in the hobbit, the orc with dialogue for example. I think Azog looks really brutal and even thought he doesn't have the same physical intimation as Lurtz, the CGI allows him to be a more evil, menacing character rather than a mindless angry strong orc, like Lurtz was.

"I don't know half of you as half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve"

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 25 2013, 5:59pm

Post #7 of 16 (224 views)
Shortcut
I like 'em both [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI was great for the goblins in the Misty Mountains and the non cgi was great for the Moria goblins. In the Hobbit there are more orcs that are interacting in different ways than we got in LOTR. The non cgi great goblin would have been imo not as impressive as the cgi one. We do get Bolg still who isn't cgi so we will get a great look at which we think works better. I prefer to have both because it just expands the possibilities.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 25 2013, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 16 (212 views)
Shortcut
I think it is hard to be fair! [In reply to] Can't Post

The AUJ orcs and goblins come across to me as having far more personality. And while I think, certainly, CGI vs prosthetic faces allow more expression and could be creating this effect, I think the script has a lot to do with it also. AUJ Orcs and Goblins get far more dialogue than in any LotR film except, perhaps, RotK (Gothmog). There's far more of a sense of the two biggies (Azog and GG) having and pursuing understandable personal agendas.

At any rate, I like the look of AUJ orcs and goblins at least as well.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 25 2013, 7:25pm

Post #9 of 16 (200 views)
Shortcut
Liked both [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some really good designs in The Lord of the Rings but there are so,e pretty bad ones as well. I do like a lot of what I saw in AUJ but not everything. I will say I'm more a fan of body prosthetics and cgi heads as that allows for a better flowing look. As a whole I'm just thankful for all the great work done in all the movies.

T_Meyers
Bree

Jun 25 2013, 9:47pm

Post #10 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Meh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would have been best if the Orcs were more "dissolved" than deformed. Like pieces of their faces are missing and bone/muscle exposed.

"Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - ERIC ELMOOR AND THE GAUNTLET OF GODRIC

"Wow!... Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings" - comment by Orchard Book Club

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 25 2013, 9:51pm

Post #11 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Pass [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like a zombie to me nothing I'd imagine in Middle-earth.

T_Meyers
Bree

Jun 25 2013, 10:19pm

Post #12 of 16 (153 views)
Shortcut
To each.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...their own ;-)

I do agree with an above commenter that some of the orcs in AUJ did look kind of goofy. I have full faith, though, that Azog could have been pulled off with prosthetics.

"Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - ERIC ELMOOR AND THE GAUNTLET OF GODRIC

"One final word……….. Tolkien and Rowling’s [books] will be family favourites for years to come and if book one of Tommy's [series], Eric Elmoor and the Gauntlet of Godric, is anything to go by he will be joining these great authors!" - comment by Orchard Book Club

Book 2 of the Eric Elmoor Saga, "Eric Elmoor and The Chalice of Cameron," is coming soon!

Scalpy
Bree

Jun 25 2013, 11:57pm

Post #13 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
Prefer the prosthetics to be honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the CGI takes away that whole natural movement of the body.

I look at it the same was as with the Star Wars movies. The 'newer' SW movies used too much CGI to the films detriment. Compare that to the dodgy costumes of the classics, which just looked and worked better.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 26 2013, 12:20am

Post #14 of 16 (122 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

the orcs in LOTR looked better. The prosthetics, in my opinion, give a more realistic look. The CGI looked cartoony in some instances.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 12:54am

Post #15 of 16 (155 views)
Shortcut
I though, from a distance, the orcs in Goblin Town [In reply to] Can't Post

looked pretty good, with lots of variety and individuality. But up close, none of them really stood out. But, for me, that had to do much more with design and portrayal than cgi excecution. And the orcs with Azog were even less memorable (i won't even bother getting into Azog right now). But at this point in the LotR trilogy, we hadn't really seen a great variety of orcs either, with the exception of Lurtz (who is fantastic), and that one in Moria with the big eyes. It wasn't until TTT that we got some real quality time with all the different orcs. So so far, i'll give it to LotR.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 26 2013, 9:31pm

Post #16 of 16 (64 views)
Shortcut
One of the things that impressed me about LOTR overall [In reply to] Can't Post

was the facial variety of the orcs, especially the ones that were foregrounded at some point. It was great that they weren't just generic "nasties" without any particular character. If I met them in the street, I'd know exactly who a lot of them were. (And run!). Mind you, I wouldn't mistake Azog or the Great Goblin for anyone else but themselves, either, and would probably recognise Azog's unfortunate sidekick, and the goblin that spoke to the King. When I've seen all three Hobbit films as many times as I've seen LOTR, it will be interesting to do a comparison and see how many memorable orcs I've got to know this time round.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.