Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
EMPIRE Magazine, Aug 2013 Desolation of Smaug edition PJ gives more hints on AUJ EE content!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Boatswain

Jun 24 2013, 6:01pm

Post #1 of 52 (3070 views)
Shortcut
EMPIRE Magazine, Aug 2013 Desolation of Smaug edition PJ gives more hints on AUJ EE content! Can't Post

Re-posting in a dedicated thread on behalf of Namarie, who spotted some scans of the forthcoming DoS issue of EMPIRE on RA.net:

one with the bit about what we should expect in the AUJ EE cut.
This part contains some spoilers about extra scenes in the prologue.

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/...it/EmpireAug13-2.jpg

Thank you to richardarmitagenet
for the scans.

More back story being squeezed in!!! But is this at the expense of character development for Bilbo and our Dwarves?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

malickfan
Gunner

Jun 24 2013, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 52 (1464 views)
Shortcut
And I will repost my response [In reply to] Can't Post

Dammit! Still no Billy Connoly

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Hamfast of Gamwich
Cabin Boy

Jun 24 2013, 6:21pm

Post #3 of 52 (1335 views)
Shortcut
All those additions sounds awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for November (and Thursday so I can buy the Magazine!)

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

malickfan
Gunner

Jun 24 2013, 6:25pm

Post #4 of 52 (1234 views)
Shortcut
I subscribe so I might get it early [In reply to] Can't Post

And share all the juicy info with my fellow TORnadoes...then again I might not he heWink

Estel78
Sailing Master

Jun 24 2013, 6:28pm

Post #5 of 52 (1299 views)
Shortcut
I don't care for any of those additions [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather than more backstory that isn't vital or a singing goblin i want character interaction, between the dwarves themselves, them and Bilbo, Bilbo and Elrond etc.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jun 24 2013, 6:29pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Quartermaster

Jun 24 2013, 6:32pm

Post #6 of 52 (1339 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it will be at the expense of Bilbo and the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

The article does confirm that we will get more Hobbiton, and Sir Ian has previously confirmed that the young Bilbo scene will be included. I'm sure that we will get Bilbo and Narsil, and at least some additional material of him at Rivendell. And while Dwarvish disrespect of the Elves at Rivendell isn't necessarily the character development that I would like to see, it is more Dwarvish character development.

But the stuff about Girion is terribly exciting. It is the first time I have seen anything that confirms that the black arrow is in. And it will give us much better understanding of who Bard is and where he comes from. Also, did Jackson confirm that Smaug's death is in the second film? After all, his comment about Girion and the black arrow was made as an example of how they were including stuff in the EE that directly relates to the second film. If the black arrow directly relates to the second film, doesn't that mean that Bard will kill Smaug in the second film? The part about Thranduil and the white gems is also potentially very interesting, and could make the odd scene in the TE prologue in which Thranduil turns away from helping the Dwarves more understandable.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Fàfnir
Rigger

Jun 24 2013, 6:33pm

Post #7 of 52 (1351 views)
Shortcut
White gems !! reference to the Silmarillion ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will PJ make a story between thanduil and the Erebor dwarves alike to the one between Thingol and the naugrim of Ered Luin in the first age, the real beginning of the fight between elves and dwarves ?? That is so cool ! Thranduil always was some kind of little Thingol, a great elf king but proud and not so nice, living in an underground palace in the center of a magic forest... I completely support PJ if it is what he is trying to do

Otaku-sempai
First Mate

Jun 24 2013, 6:34pm

Post #8 of 52 (1321 views)
Shortcut
There and Back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dammit! Still no Billy Connoly

We aren't likely to see much, if any, of Dain in The Desolation of Smaug. He doesn't really come properly into the narrative until we reach There and Back Again.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shagrat
Gunner

Jun 24 2013, 6:36pm

Post #9 of 52 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to see the extended prologue. Gives us hope for more Azanulbizar and possibly even a glimpse of the Balrog!

I guess this explains the additional Smaug attack music on the soundtrack. But that will surely have to be reworked now anyway with the extra Thranduil material.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 24 2013, 6:38pm)

Ardamírë
Quartermaster

Jun 24 2013, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 52 (1225 views)
Shortcut
I didn't make that connection [In reply to] Can't Post

But now that you mention it, it could very well be. I don't want Smaug to die in film 2, so I'm hoping that's not what he was implying.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

malickfan
Gunner

Jun 24 2013, 6:38pm

Post #11 of 52 (1232 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But if there isn't anything to establish him as a great warrior leader beforehand, how will the audeince except him turning up at the last minute at BOFA? Even if they paint him as the heroic, wise warrior he is in the books-Billy Connoly's pretty old so it might be hard for some to accept such a newcomer as a stifying conclusion to the story. I can't think of anywhere else in the story he or the Iron Hills could slot in.

Ardamírë
Quartermaster

Jun 24 2013, 6:40pm

Post #12 of 52 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Girion!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so excited to see him! I had no idea he would be in the films, so this is definitely a pleasant surprise! Things like "more goblin singing," "disrespectful dwarves," and "fleeting nudity" have left me underwhelmed for the EE, but these tidbits about Girion and Elvenking are excellent. I guess the EE will be just as much of a mixed bag for me as everything else about this trilogy.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Otaku-sempai
First Mate

Jun 24 2013, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 52 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Jackson missed an opportunity there... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But if there isn't anything to establish him as a great warrior leader beforehand, how will the audeince except him turning up at the last minute at BOFA? Even if they paint him as the heroic, wise warrior he is in the books-Billy Connoly's pretty old so it might be hard for some to accept such a newcomer as a stifying conclusion to the story. I can't think of anywhere else in the story he or the Iron Hills could slot in.

Jackson could have established Dain's credentials at the Battle of Azannulbizar, but he screwed that up, didn't he?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

malickfan
Gunner

Jun 24 2013, 6:48pm

Post #14 of 52 (1228 views)
Shortcut
That raises an interesting point [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the very strong paralells between Thranduil and Thingol, the arkenstone and the silmarils, I'm wondering whether Jackson will make any indirect reference to the events of The Sil (He has already stated they are explaining why Mirkwood elves differ from Rivendell's), ie a reference or two to morgoth or the wars of the first age? They mentioned the ring of barahir, and orcs being corrupted elves in LOTR (no to mention including a drawing of Gondolin by John Howe in Rivendell if I'm not mistaken)-info as far as I'm aware only alluded to in The Sil.

I would love to hear some info about the different kindreds of the elves, and The Necklace of the Dwarves but I doubt it could happen...

malickfan
Gunner

Jun 24 2013, 6:52pm

Post #15 of 52 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Given that two of my favourite characters in the Legendarium [In reply to] Can't Post

Are Cirdan and Dain I'm not having the best of luck with these films so far. Ironically the main reasons why they tie into The Hobbit are mentioned in those appendices Jackson and Co seem to be so fond of talking about.

Sigh. Unsure

moonrunes
Swabbie

Jun 24 2013, 6:54pm

Post #16 of 52 (1158 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Girion will be epic. The other stuff. Ehhh

namarie
Rigger

Jun 24 2013, 7:21pm

Post #17 of 52 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Eleniel! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

Eleniel
Boatswain

Jun 24 2013, 7:29pm

Post #18 of 52 (1005 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure - thanks for spotting the scans so quickly! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

namarie
Rigger

Jun 24 2013, 7:36pm

Post #19 of 52 (1038 views)
Shortcut
that is an interesting thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, did Jackson confirm that Smaug's death is in the second film? After all, his comment about Girion and the black arrow was made as an example of how they were including stuff in the EE that directly relates to the second film. If the black arrow directly relates to the second film, doesn't that mean that Bard will kill Smaug in the second film?

But even if they will not kill Smaug in the second movie it's nice that they are making a connection between Girion and Bard through the black arrows given that Bard is Girion descendant.

And even if this will be presented in a subtle way and it will not be clear for everybody it's a nice addition to the EE for the fans of the books.

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

Hamfast of Gamwich
Cabin Boy

Jun 24 2013, 8:11pm

Post #20 of 52 (981 views)
Shortcut
Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine it'd have been pretty distracting for the average viewer if Billy Connolly popped up as a dwarf in the middle of Azannulbizar. That scene was pretty key in setting up Thorin as a leader so I can see why Jackson decided to leave that out.

I'm hoping we get a bit of a glimpse of him there at the extended edition, but if not I'm sure we'll get some flashbacks or scenes to establish Dain before he turns up on his hog.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

Owain
Sailing Master

Jun 24 2013, 8:28pm

Post #21 of 52 (911 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Thanks for sharing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really interested to see all of these extended/expanded scenes/plot points.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Skaan
Able Seaman

Jun 24 2013, 8:32pm

Post #22 of 52 (981 views)
Shortcut
Girion shooting arrows at Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just repost my previous comment here aswell, considering it's a bit more on-topic here:

I wonder if the extended prologue will include some of the cut music bits from "My Dear Frodo"?

For example, the part at 1:38 in this vid: http://youtu.be/PgW7PRN-ADI?t=1m38s seems to show someone trying to shoot an arrow, but if you listen closely you'll also hear that there is cut music in that scene. (listen to 5:15 in this vid for the uncut version: http://youtu.be/isUllSSZ18E?t=5m15s )

Maybe the EE will extend that scene and include the full music track?

Aitieuriskon
Able Seaman

Jun 24 2013, 9:08pm

Post #23 of 52 (841 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

That transition between themes was one of my favorites from the soundtrack, and I was somewhat disappointed that it got cut!

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

arithmancer
Boatswain

Jun 24 2013, 9:46pm

Post #24 of 52 (826 views)
Shortcut
Or...*spoiler for book* [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Jackson meant that Girion himself is directly related to Film 2 (as the direct ancestor of Bard).

Smaug's death in movie 2 is not confirmed, at any rate.

I agree, though, I am glad the black arrow is in!

Glorfindela
Quartermaster

Jun 24 2013, 10:29pm

Post #25 of 52 (743 views)
Shortcut
That's really interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for posting the link. I'm especially pleased we'll be seeing more of Thranduil in the Extended Edition.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.