Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do we need Bolg to take over from Azog?

1415dr
The Shire

Jun 24 2013, 2:20pm

Views: 742
Shortcut
Do we need Bolg to take over from Azog? Can't Post

Hi! I've read some people talking about Azog being killed off in DOS to be replaced by Bolg. I thought I'd share my own opinion on the subject.

I'll start by saying that I'm an extreme literalist when it comes to Tolkein adaptations. My brother and I were furious as kids when the Rankin/Bass cartoon omited Beorn, and we were just as furious when PJ elminated Tom Bombadill from FOTR. But now I'm starting to think that deviation is sometimes necessary. Here is my opinion on Azog:

PJ wanted to include the background stories of Moria and the dwarves, but there wasn't time to get it all right. He also thought that it would be more exciting if the dwarves were fleeing from an imminent threat, rather than just adventuring (I personally disagree with that move because it undermines Thorin's determination to succeed despite setbacks). But the Black Riders were one of the best parts of FOTR, so he wanted to replicate the sense of being pursued.

So PJ decides to take some parts of the Azog story and fit them into the narrative. I disagree with that, but since there's nothing we can do at this point, where do we go from here?

I suggest that Azog should remain the primary orc villain until the end, and Bolg should play second fiddle. It's too late to introduce the audience to "Bolg, son of that big white guy that's been chasing Thorin." I suggest that Azog be the one to *Spoiler* you-know-who at the BOFA, which results in Thorin's final realization that pride and wealth are not the most valuable things in life. Azog's Ahab-like obsession with Thorin shows the worst parts of his own obsession with revenge and glory. I just don't think Bolg will be able to have the same impact. That's why I think Azog should survive until the end, even if it means the further contradicting the source material.

Sorry to ramble on. Thanks for your time!

Subject User Time
Do we need Bolg to take over from Azog? 1415dr Send a private message to 1415dr Jun 24 2013, 2:20pm
    Agreed (possible spoilers) jordagorn Send a private message to jordagorn Jun 24 2013, 2:42pm
    If a "pursuer" of Thorin was inescapable... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Jun 24 2013, 2:46pm
        I'd be happy if Azog sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Jun 24 2013, 3:03pm
            I certainly would not complain if that were to happen... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Jun 25 2013, 1:36am
    I agree, but... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jun 24 2013, 2:54pm
    Bolg should have been the villain, if anyone... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 24 2013, 5:32pm
        Totally agreed... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jun 24 2013, 5:37pm
        i wonder why Jackson didn't do this... Eurolock Send a private message to Eurolock Jun 25 2013, 5:15pm
            My opinion arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jun 25 2013, 5:30pm
                Yes, PJ wanted both of them in the films... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Jun 25 2013, 7:01pm
                    Not Glorfindel and Bombadil. Secondary characters stay ommitted. Tertiary charcters and add ins AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 26 2013, 4:26am
            I think it's the end of a complicated story Ffnir Send a private message to Ffnir Jun 25 2013, 5:31pm
    Bolg The Mitch King Send a private message to The Mitch King Jun 24 2013, 5:46pm
        At this point, we should stick to Azog Carnivoran Send a private message to Carnivoran Jun 24 2013, 6:44pm
            Well... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Jun 25 2013, 1:10am
                Clarification Carnivoran Send a private message to Carnivoran Jun 25 2013, 1:25am
            I am not a fan of sticking consitently with a horrible decision. Orcs are bred and born AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 26 2013, 4:30am
    I disagree for many reasons. Among them, using Azog in this way entirely rewrites the motivation for the war of The Dwarves AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 26 2013, 4:25am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.