Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
‘Hobbit’ Casting Call: We Want Ryan Gosling, Orlando Bloom For Tolkien Tale
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Xoanon
PTB

Dec 26 2007, 7:43pm

Post #1 of 84 (2396 views)
Shortcut
‘Hobbit’ Casting Call: We Want Ryan Gosling, Orlando Bloom For Tolkien Tale Can't Post

‘Hobbit’ Casting Call: We Want Ryan Gosling, Orlando Bloom For Tolkien Tale From MTV.com: With the recent news that Peter Jackson is finally returning to Middle-earth, it’s not just fans of “The Hobbit” who are rejoicing. Just ask Ian McKellen or Andy Serkis. As Gandalf the Grey and Gollum, respectively, these two Tolkien titans are all but certain to return. But what of the other characters up for grabs in “The Hobbit”? We took a look at some of the bigger roles available and picked our favorites. Following Jackson’s casting decisions for “Lord of the Rings,” we considered names that were known, but not necessarily big stars. Check out our choices below and then head over to the MTV movies blog where we tackle the big one.

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2007, 8:06pm

Post #2 of 84 (1242 views)
Shortcut
I would forgive a Legolas cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

Although he is not mentioned in The Hobbit, it is entirely plausable that Legolas would have been either at the Battle of the Five Armies or at Mirkwood with his father. I think a small cameo would be fun and a nice nod to fans.

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 26 2007, 8:30pm

Post #3 of 84 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Why do I get the feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

MTV.com has been reading TORN's discussion boards?

David Bowie for Thorin? Jason Isaacs for Smaug? Both are left-field suggestions and both have been raised here.

They make some very interesting calls for the roles, but I really hope Gosling doesn't get into The Hobbit. He was great in The Notebook, but he has an arrogant twitchy quality that is starting to grate with me.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 26 2007, 8:35pm

Post #4 of 84 (1147 views)
Shortcut
What's the reasoning for heavy dwarf make-up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are their faces ever described, besides the beards?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

We're on hiatus Dec. 24-Jan. 6 for the holidays.
Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 26 2007, 8:40pm

Post #5 of 84 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil "is described as having blond hair ... just like his son Legolas." [In reply to] Can't Post

It's true: Tolkien does describe the wood-elves' king that way. He never specifies Legolas's hair color, however. See Reera the Red's site for more on hair and eye colors in Tolkien's works.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 26 2007, 8:52pm

Post #6 of 84 (1154 views)
Shortcut
I had that feeling too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though no one who isn't familiar with Ezpeleta can understand the depth of unease I feel at the suggestion of David Bowie as Thranduil. The mental images are Not Good, people!

And I'd just as soon not have Gerard Butler either. I'm all for lesser-knowns in major roles. The Hobbit doesn't need "star power" casting; Tolkien and PJ and the LOTR connection are more than enough to get people into the theater. No one is going to decide not to see The Hobbit because they don't recognize the actors. The casting in LOTR was excellent; they just need to cast to the parts and not the names again for The Hobbit.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2007, 9:02pm

Post #7 of 84 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Remember when they asked Martin Freeman about playing Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was posted here by a few people a while ago. I think we have a spy in our midst!

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 26 2007, 9:08pm

Post #8 of 84 (1165 views)
Shortcut
As much as I love the idea [In reply to] Can't Post

of Bowie for Thranduil (thanks to his role in The Prestige), I worry that I won't be able to shake the image of him as the Goblin King in Labyrinth. Between that and Ezpeleta, there's a lot of baggage around this guy!

(Although I'd still like to see what he could do with the role...)

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 26 2007, 9:08pm

Post #9 of 84 (1133 views)
Shortcut
All good reporters [In reply to] Can't Post

keep in touch with well-informed sources! Cool

Ataahua's stories

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 26 2007, 10:44pm

Post #10 of 84 (1102 views)
Shortcut
I'm just amazed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that MTV bothered to research and present such detailed spoilers. I'm impressed,. I'd love to know who the Tolkien fan is there. (MTV, she ain't what she used to be:).)

One little problem: MTV thinks Jackson is going to be doing the actual casting. (Bravo, Bob Shaye! Your plan is working very well!) Usually,these days it's the director who's mostly in charge of that. This ain't Old Hollywood, where the Producer was king. Hopefully whoever the director is, secretly defers to Jackson in this all-important process...or Bob Shaye has learned his lesson and and isn't going to pull a Harvey Weinstein like he did with TGC. I'd hate to think that Shaye worked with Jackson to approve Sam Raimi, and then proceeded to control Raimi like he did with SP3.

OK...that's the skeptic in me that HAD to say that...it pops up every time I read a press release that says "Jackson is making The Hobbit", with no qualifiers. It's like an urge that can't be surpressed. I'll shut up on this, I promise. Can I start a "skeptics thread", Ataahua? That'll shut me up.

Anyway, of course MTV would choose Bowie. But what are his acting credentials? And I don't know enough about Ryan Gosling to comment. Can someone tell me more about what he's done? I'm going to be raiding the video store after the holidays, catching up on all of Raimi';s and Del Toro's work I haven't seen. I remember doing this with all the LOTR actors! What fun to be doing again! (Ah, the joys of "discovering" Viggo....my brain cells still haven't recoveredTongue

BTW hope everyone had a great Christmas! Mine was...*hic* VERY good indeed.....Wink (Moans and blinks bleary eyes....glad I have a few days off!)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 26 2007, 10:48pm)

CAhobbit
Rohan

Dec 26 2007, 10:56pm

Post #11 of 84 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Ryan Gosling.... [In reply to] Can't Post

has been getting more and more press over the last 2 years because of his work in "Half Nelson" (he was nominated for numerous awards{including an oscar} for this film and won a few as well). He's also been getting a lot of press over his performance in "Lars and the Real Girl" {most recently nominated for a Golden Globe}. He was even given some praise for his acting role in the recent film "Fracture".

David Bowie of course has been in numerous films. "The Prestige", "Labyrinth", "The Hunger" just to name a few.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 26 2007, 10:59pm

Post #12 of 84 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Gosling and Bowie filmographies: [In reply to] Can't Post

Ryan Gosling - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331516/

David Bowie - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000309/ (scroll halfway down to the 'actor' section).

Ataahua's stories

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 26 2007, 11:09pm

Post #13 of 84 (1138 views)
Shortcut
They think Alfred Molina (Beorn) can be...... [In reply to] Can't Post

explosive, kinetic, menacing, a little unhinged and go from gentle to ferocious at the drop of a hat. I don't see it myself. Also the idea of Robbie Coltrane playing the part is just type casting imho.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 12:37am

Post #14 of 84 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Bowie is perfect for Thranduil. Truly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your citing of Jared in Labyrinth against him is mine for him. He makes a magnificent Elfin Lord, as even the late, great Jim Henson could see. That you have an image stuck in your head is no reason at all to deny the rest of us the pleasure of seeing him in a role he seems born for. What if someone said that Christopher Lee who WAS Saruman The White, had too much baggage as Dracula and King Haggard. You really can't suggest that an actor should be barred from a role because he has performed flawlessly in similar roles in the past. The DISTANT past mind you.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 12:49am

Post #15 of 84 (1041 views)
Shortcut
See him in "Prick Up Your Ears" (1987). // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2007, 12:49am

Post #16 of 84 (1117 views)
Shortcut
It's the same reason [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't want Sean Connery as Gandalf. Fantasy films are rather fragile, in that the illusion can be so easily broken. And one of the things that breaks it completely for me is if I see an actor and think of a different character from the one they are playing. They have to be able to disappear into the current character, and I'm afraid that no matter how good Bowie might be, he couldn't do that enough for me not to think of Jareth and the notorious Ezpeleta orgy picture. Plus, I've already seen him play Jareth and enjoyed it, and I don't need to see him reprise it.

Several of the LOTR actors are people I have seen play other roles, but all of them were able to enter their roles completely enough that I wasn't reminded of their other characters - with the exception of Hugo Weaving welcoming Frodo to Rivendell. My mind always hears "Welcome to Rivendell..." and expects the sentence to end with "Mister Anderson!" Argh! It always takes me several scenes to recover.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 1:08am

Post #17 of 84 (1070 views)
Shortcut
And I say as firmly as before. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Your citing of Jared in Labyrinth against him is mine for him. He makes a magnificent Elfin Lord, as even the late, great Jim Henson could see. That you have an image stuck in your head is no reason at all to deny the rest of us the pleasure of seeing him in a role he seems born for. What if someone said that Christopher Lee who WAS Saruman The White, had too much baggage as Dracula and King Haggard. You really can't suggest that an actor should be barred from a role because he has performed flawlessly in similar roles in the past. The DISTANT past mind you.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 1:20am

Post #18 of 84 (1091 views)
Shortcut
That is not a movie I have seen, however I have liked him [In reply to] Can't Post

in others, like The Da Vinci Code, Chocolat, Boogie Nights and Enchanted April just to name a few. I think he is a great actor. I just don't think he would be a great actor in the part of Beorn. But hey, I didn't think Daniel Craig would make a great James Bond either, but I was wrong. Yes, he is no Sean Connery but he is good.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 27 2007, 1:39am

Post #19 of 84 (1052 views)
Shortcut
"Mr. Anderson" [In reply to] Can't Post

ROFL! (has sudden image of Elrond dodging bullets in slo-mo "Matrix-time", braids and robe flying) . FYI, it took me a while to get over Smith too....but today I have no image of one when seeing the other.

Thanks for the filmographies! I have actually seen some of these, but didn't know that was them in them. We have some really good libraries and video stores here, this is a university town. I'll have no trouble finding these. As well as Magpie's hymn list, I'm going to have a full library card next week!

I concur about fantasy films though. Some actors, like Viggo and the late great Alec Guinness, were true chameleons. They have the ability to shed their skin and become who they played..it wasn't just method acting. (Someone in AwardsDaily boards recently commented that their Russian-born wife was utterly blown away by Viggo's Russian accent in Eastern Promises There could be no higher praise.)
It's all the more harder for someone like a distinctive speaking voice, like Sean Connery (has he EVER dropped his Scottish accent? Doesn't he keep it for patriotic reasons?) or Robbie Coltrane. No matter what he did before, you will always hear Hagrid.--and as much as I love Hagrid, Hagrid the Care of Magical Creatures Professor does NOT equal Beorn the Shape-shifting animal husbandry expert. The relationship is not the same. And Beorn is handsome too.)
Ditto Jeremy Irons. As much as I love these people, at this point they are so iconic that Joe Sixpack will look at them onscreen and say, :"That's James Bond (or Indy Sr.") Even if they were perfect for the role in other ways, I'd rather give a newcomer a chance.

Your point might work, Silver lode, IF more of these actors were chameleons. But not everyone can be Derek Jacobi or Marlon Brando. Very few people have that legendary skill, to retain what makes them great, yet melt into a character so much it makes them their own. Have you seen Coppola's documentary for Apocolypse Now, "Hearts Of Darkness: A Filmmaker;'s Apocolypse"? The segment on Brando as Kurtz should be studied by every film student AND actor. (if it already isn't.) It was hard enough to turn him into Kurtz without being able to slip off his recently completed Don Corleone role--and he was overweight at the time.

The only exception I might make at this point is for Brian Blessed. He has something of the chameleon in him as well.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 27 2007, 1:49am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 27 2007, 1:56am

Post #20 of 84 (1018 views)
Shortcut
And PS [In reply to] Can't Post

Flame me but I must say it, I actually LIKE the idea of Gerard Butler as Beorn.
One hit does not a "mainstream" actor make. 300 was a genre film seen mostly by males, and it made only 200 million. It was his "The Ice Storm". I'm sure the overwhelming prospect of being in the LOTR follow-up, as well as the "fellowship" filming experience ...he'd tone down the theatrics a lot. He won't be yellling "THIS IS MIDDLE EARTH" all over the place....he's an unknown to me. He hasn't been able to solidify a "persona" yet.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 27 2007, 2:00am)

hobbitgoddess
The Shire

Dec 27 2007, 2:19am

Post #21 of 84 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I'm offically scared for the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Like several people have said, fantasy films are fragile. You can't use anybody for them. And Hollywood's idea for making a fantasy film successful is to stick as many celebrities into it as possible until the plot has twisted its self into a fan girls dream. MTV may not have a say in who is acting in this, but the thought of any of those actors acting in it scares me and I think it could happen. Hollywood has too much power.

In the case of Stellan Skarsgard, well lets just turn all the Mirkwood elves into Pirates if your gonna do that. Hes a good actor, but he could not pass as an elf. Now amount of make-up could do it. And just for the hell of it, does he look a thing like Orlando Bloom? No! At least not in my opinion. So why are they getting him to be an his father again?! And an elf!
And yes, I think it would ok it Legolas made an appearance, I just hate the way MTV worded it. You know there gonna do it anyway. You can't let all those screaming Legy fan girls down, they might blog about it. I just think Orlando Bloom has is a prissy elf who needs to get his head out of the clouds. He does a good job with Legolas, when he's suppose to be there.
Jason Isaacs could pass for Smaug, but his voice it not what I pictured. The man can play greedy, wealthy, evil men well. I just think he lacks the ancient quality that I picture in Smaug's voice.
Gerard Butler is a very good actor, but a little to over used. I have nothing against him, just, it would make the film a celebrity film and would require Bard ripping his shirt off at one point. I think they should go with someone new, like they should with all the actors they choose, but whatever.
And if they get Ryan Gosling to play Bard, well then the movie is in the hands of teen age, over sugared, squeeing, fan girls. (Can you tell I don't like fan girls?) He is made for chick-licks, not fantasy adventure. Him wielding any kind of weapon is the same as a ten-year old boy with a sword. It does not like right, or safe.

This is my opinion. Though none of this may happen, it still deserves a good slap across the fat face for even mentioning some of these names for the Hobbit.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but look on the bright side, I'm not in over kill mode today.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 27 2007, 2:26am

Post #22 of 84 (1049 views)
Shortcut
mon [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are referring to the Prosthetics John Rhys-Davies wore in Jacksons films, I think that was driven mostly by their efforts to control perception of proportion and scale + secondarily trying to match production sketches by the artists and designers.

They were trying to make Gimli look the same whenever he was seen next to humans. They used a combination of digital effects and some body double work and it was mostly successful but required compromises. It apparently made JRS' life a misery and to some extent must have stifled his performance.

I hope they somehow get away with scaling back on the prosthetic make-up for the dwarves in THE HOBBIT. Unlike Gimli, these dwarves are going to be everpresent on-screen and some (Thorin, Balin, Dori, Bombur) are going to carry the story on their shoulders. The actors are going to need some freedom.

The dwarves of The HOBBIT are traveling lighter than Gimli (as portrayed in LOTR films). There is very little mention of their armor or weaponry (except for the sword recovered from the Trollshaws) until they've reclaimed the treasures of Erebor..

I think they have to step away a bit from Jackson's established images of Dwarves.

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 2:29am

Post #23 of 84 (1045 views)
Shortcut
I think Gerard Butler greatest asset for playing Beorn is not his physique [In reply to] Can't Post

which btw is fabulous, but his rich voice. He just sounds like a big man.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

HUORN
The Shire

Dec 27 2007, 4:30am

Post #24 of 84 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Bowie would have a good elf [In reply to] Can't Post

30 years ago he's just too old now. I didn't like the Matrix guy either. Too old.

Elves are immortal. Shouldn't they all look like 23 year olds? Elrond should look like Arwen's brother.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 4:32am

Post #25 of 84 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Unyielding [In reply to] Can't Post

I like whoever thought of James Earl Jones for Smaug's voice. Christopher Lee is already Saruman, so he cannot.

David Bowie would make a WONDERFUL Thranduil, period. They should cast him by his birth name of David Jones, and only tell you after the film was out for a few weeks, and you'd cheer the new talent and then. . . SURPRISE! it was Bowie all along, with longer hair and a little makeup LOL.

I still say Lawrence Fishburne all the way for Beorn. He has the voice and the build. I'd be pleased if they brought Michael Hague, who for years had the definitive illustrated Hobbit, in alongside Alan Lee and John Howe for The Hobbit film.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.