Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Empire magazine DOS cover
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 8:47am

Post #1 of 77 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Empire magazine DOS cover Can't Post

Empire magazine have just released images for their new cover issue: http://www.empireonline.com/.../story.asp?NID=37895

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jun 24 2013, 8:48am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 24 2013, 9:17am

Post #2 of 77 (1282 views)
Shortcut
This marketing strategy is already getting to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point, they might as well just kill Bilbo. Sacrilege right?

DOS should probably be split into 3 movies in itself, because there is so much story in the appendices that focuses on Legolas and Tauriel. The Legolas/Tauriel relationship was Tolkiens life work, and it would be a shame to overcrowd that spirit with a simple Hobbit learning to step outside his comfort zone.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 10:10am

Post #3 of 77 (1199 views)
Shortcut
I agree that the DOS marketing is getting [In reply to] Can't Post

a little bit too Elf-o-centric. Not that i dont like it but theres more to the story (and the narrative of Film 2, for that matter) than just elves. They could focus less on the same characters (Legolas) and introduce us to Bard, Beorn, Lake Town, etc - apart from Bilbo and the dwarves (who are the main protagonists after all) -but if the studios want to push forward the introduction to new characters, the least they can do is provide a variety of them and reflect the expansive range of the adventure in DOS.

Non book fans might start to think that the next film will be all about Mirkwood and the Elves and forget about Smaug and the rest ...

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jun 24 2013, 10:13am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 24 2013, 11:03am

Post #4 of 77 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Really, this is too much. [In reply to] Can't Post

The least they could have done would have been to put Thranduil in the centre of the cover. Why on Earth the stress on Legolas and 'Tauriel'? They are not even part of the story.

What about Bilbo, Thorin and the other Dwarves, Gandalf and all the characters that ARE in the book?

This seems to indicate that DoS is going to be primarily about the two non-book elves. A decided thumbs down – and this from someone who loves AUJ…

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 11:08am

Post #5 of 77 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Couldnt agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil *should* have been in the centre of the image- he is the most important character of all three after all ... Actually wouldnt have minded if it was just the Elven King's picture without the other two ... if they wanted an emphasis on elves

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 24 2013, 11:16am

Post #6 of 77 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Orlando Sells Tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

For the majority of People
this is their First look at
Tauriel and Thrandruil,
so why Not?

"It's Not for Bomby?.. to descide what to do with their Marketing Money,
it's jus' up to Bomby
to enjoy these Movies.."

namarie
Rohan

Jun 24 2013, 11:48am

Post #7 of 77 (1260 views)
Shortcut
From within the article: What to expect in the EE edition of AUJ ( *spoilers*) and more [In reply to] Can't Post

I intended to create another post about this but since this thread is about the Empire Online story I will put it here.

richardarmitagenet.com posted some scans from the Empire edition with some comments about the article:

Empire magazine visited Stone street studios in Wellington earlier this month to report on filming currently taking place on The Desolation of Smaug and the third Hobbit film There and Back Again. The article is largely concerned with the three main elves from the second and third films, featuring lots of quotes from Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly and Lee Pace. A new picture of the dwarves in barrels is included (click the image below) and there is more information about the extra scenes we are likely to see in the extended DVD version of An Unexpected Journey, due to be released this November (see second scan below).

The new photo of the dwarves in the barrels

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/articlescans/Hobbit/EmpireAug13-1.jpg

Another one with the bit about what we should expect in the AUJ EE cut. This part contains some spoilers about extra scenes in the prologue.

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/images/articlescans/Hobbit/EmpireAug13-2.jpg

Thank you to richardarmitagenet for the scans.
If anybody else finds extra scans could you please add them to this thread? In this way everything is in one place.

Thank you!

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 24 2013, 11:51am

Post #8 of 77 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Does he? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing against Orlando Bloom, but I don't recall seeing anything else he's been in, and I haven't seen a huge demand here, or anywhere else for his return. (Though I have seen quite a few snarky comments about his acting!)

The marketing so far does seem very odd (apart from the poster of Bilbo and Erebor, which was spot on) - surely if people go to see a follow-up film, it's because they have become attached to the characters in the first one, and it seems a very strange move to start marketing it with a completely new set of characters.

Personally, I could not care less about the made up computer game adventures of Tauriel and Legolas.

Glum
Bree

Jun 24 2013, 11:52am

Post #9 of 77 (1049 views)
Shortcut
I understand your feeling, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

We should bear in mind that marketing strategy and movies themselves are not the same. The general audience wants to see something new in second Hobbit, so it's just logical to show them new characters as much as possible. Well, to tell the truth, the only new character here is Tauriel, but Thranduil appeared just briefly in AUJ. And Legolas must be quite popular - handsome and skilled elf from LOTR movies.

Another thing is that if Tolkien had written The Hobbit with the full picture of Middle Earth in his mind, Legolas would probably have appeared there. And I'm glad that the filmmakers came up with Tauriel, because apart from Galadriel, there are only men in the trilogy... I'm no feminist, I just feel a woman character is really beneficial to the movie

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jun 24 2013, 11:55am

Post #10 of 77 (1082 views)
Shortcut
extended prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool to see an extended prologue, not sure about those black arrows, kinda great coincidence that a guy in lake town just happens to have arrows especially made to pierce dragon underbellies.

Happy to see more Thranduil too! and more Rivendell and Hobbiton sounds great.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 11:58am

Post #11 of 77 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Sounds cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Dammit! Still no Billy Connoly Mad

I subscribe to Empire so there is a chance I might get the magazine a day or two early, in which case I'll do a spoilerific post about its content.

I really could have done without Legolas, and showing a blatantly 'only in it to have a cliched 'Look a tough woman' elve/love story' female elve so prominently in the trailer's has annoyed me a little, a tertiary role I'm fine with, but shoving such a obvious role in our faces, to me is almost as bad as having no females in the story.

I read The Hobbit aged 17, and the lack of females honestly didn't bother me I'm am not saying that in a sexist way-I just felt like it was a 'boys own adventure' written by a male in a male dominated soceity, sure there would be females in the background, but I never felt like there had to be one to improve the story, and I understand that Tolkien was froma different time. That said I'm open to Tauriel just as long as her role isn't as obvious and in our face as I fear.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jun 24 2013, 12:06pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 24 2013, 12:00pm

Post #12 of 77 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Something new? Well, there is plenty of that and it doesn't involve Legolas or 'Tauriel' [In reply to] Can't Post

There are all the new characters that do feature in The Hobbit story, like Beorn, Bard, Smaug, etc., etc. This is like seeing something from a completely unrelated film. As someone else has remarked, many of us grew to love the main characters established in AUJ. Why the need for these rather tacky new characters (and I am not talking about Thranduil)?

I was quite prepared to suffer a cameo appearance by Legolas, but not this. And there is absolutely no need to include an extra female character in the film – speaking as a female myself. There were few complaints about any lack of females when it came to the first film.

Awful marketing strategy, which is likely to put many people off. Oh well, on their heads be it…

In Reply To
We should bear in mind that marketing strategy and movies themselves are not the same. The general audience wants to see something new in second Hobbit, so it's just logical to show them new characters as much as possible. Well, to tell the truth, the only new character here is Tauriel, but Thranduil appeared just briefly in AUJ. And Legolas must be quite popular - handsome and skilled elf from LOTR movies.

Another thing is that if Tolkien had written The Hobbit with the full picture of Middle Earth in his mind, Legolas would probably have appeared there. And I'm glad that the filmmakers came up with Tauriel, because apart from Galadriel, there are only men in the trilogy... I'm no feminist, I just feel a woman character is really beneficial to the movie

Glum
Bree

Jun 24 2013, 12:20pm

Post #13 of 77 (957 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

The marketing campaign for DOS isn't over yet, so I suppose we are going to see a lot of pictures of Lake Town and its inhabitants before the movie is released. If it's not like that, I'll be dissapointed. As for Beorn, I personally hope we do NOT see him in his human form until the movie. He didn't appear in the first trailer (Smaug did) and as much as I love teasers and trailers, I always like to have a character who we see in the movie for the first time.
Legolas is Thranduil's son, I never thought his role would be small. And ho do we know that him and Tauriel are tacky? We should judge them after we've seen the film, shouldn't we? :)
As for Smaug, I really hope that his head is the only part of his body we'll be allowed to see before the release of DOS :)

Finally, I would like to point out that trailers and similiar things might be a bit misleading. After seeing the first trailer for AUJ, I felt that Gandalf would spend a lot of time exploring Dol Guldur and Nazgul Tombs. None of that happened in the movie. Who knows whether all the elvish material from the trailer for DOS will be included in the theatrical cut? PJ and his team might change their mind, they always do :)

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 24 2013, 12:28pm

Post #14 of 77 (980 views)
Shortcut
Well I am a feminist [In reply to] Can't Post

And I still couldn't care less about new made up characters, whatever sex they are.

I can't see why you say the general audience want something new - if they want something new they can watch another film. Generally, people follow stories (either on the page or on screen) because they want to know what happens to the main characters.

It is just bad story-telling to keep shovelling in extra characters and storylines when those main characters remain so woefully underdeveloped.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 12:51pm

Post #15 of 77 (906 views)
Shortcut
Oh look [In reply to] Can't Post

Its that hot blonde elf from Lotr!

I suppose the marketing strategy with these pictures and trailer was created for this sort of reaction...

I dont like it, theres no hobbit and no smaug and no dwarves...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

dave_lf
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 12:55pm

Post #16 of 77 (914 views)
Shortcut
The spice of life [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What about Bilbo, Thorin and the other Dwarves, Gandalf and all the characters that ARE in the book?

They already had their turn. Marketing is all about emphasizing what's new and improved.

It looks like these particular marketers are trying to emphasize the things that will make DoS different from AUJ, while at the same time tying it back to what they know people liked about LotR.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Jun 24 2013, 1:02pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 1:00pm

Post #17 of 77 (896 views)
Shortcut
Because, after all... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this is the new, improved Hobbit, as Tolkien would have written it if he had continued with his rewrite! Evil Angelic

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Noria
Rohan

Jun 24 2013, 1:03pm

Post #18 of 77 (876 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Dave [In reply to] Can't Post

and say just relax.

This cover and the trailer are just the introduction of the marketing campaign. IMO both are meant to convey to casual LotR movie and AUJ fans that DoS will be about more than the Dwarves continuing their journey, that there will be new and different stuff including cool new (and old) characters, new situations and a dragon. And lots of action. I suspect that neither trailer nor article is particularly intended for Hobbit book fans.

Personally, I like the cover well enough. It's very pretty. Though I myself prefer Hobbits and even Dwarves, lots of people seem to love Elves. I know at least one Legolas fan who is really looking forward to seeing him in DoS.

I’m OK with Legolas and Tauriel because I look forward to seeing the story of the Elves of Mirkwood expanded, that “less wise, more dangerous” angle. Also, Thranduil looks great!

It’s natural that the media should be interested in new characters and new actors, especially the beautiful, badass and photogenic Elves.

(This post was edited by Noria on Jun 24 2013, 1:05pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 1:03pm

Post #19 of 77 (872 views)
Shortcut
Who knew [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien had such a hidden taste for Kicking butt she elves Azzaaaaa! Tongue

dave_lf
Gondor

Jun 24 2013, 1:04pm

Post #20 of 77 (867 views)
Shortcut
As described in the LotR appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

In Reply To
...this is the new, improved Hobbit, as Tolkien would have written it if he had continued with his rewrite! Evil Angelic

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Jun 24 2013, 1:04pm)

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 24 2013, 1:06pm

Post #21 of 77 (869 views)
Shortcut
Getting through these next two years... [In reply to] Can't Post

and Warner Bros. marketing juggernaut is going to be a painful and cringe-ful experience.

Tolkien's legacy reduced to the sexual attractiveness and "bad-a$$ness" of elves.Mad Pandering, pure and simple, and unfortunately effective.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2013, 1:26pm

Post #22 of 77 (831 views)
Shortcut
Hey, 'Kill Bilbo' would be a pretty good title for a movie.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"123456!... password!... password1!... password2!... Gimli, do you know Durin's date of birth? Thanks. 140457!... mithril@!... mithril#!... maltbeer!... qwerty!... Legolas, do your elf eyes see any post-its lying around the base of the cliff?"

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 1:27pm

Post #23 of 77 (829 views)
Shortcut
Don't you just love that argument? [In reply to] Can't Post

Go to any youtube video comments section and you'll see that argument in spades...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 24 2013, 1:33pm

Post #24 of 77 (860 views)
Shortcut
Actually i have read some comments which seem to indicate that [In reply to] Can't Post

some people believe these characters were in TH book. Unimpressed

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 24 2013, 1:36pm

Post #25 of 77 (817 views)
Shortcut
Rampant ignorance [In reply to] Can't Post

on social media websites never surprises me.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.