Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
A trio of shots

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 22 2013, 11:12pm

Views: 202
Shortcut
A trio of shots [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Today we have a SCOD of Merry and Pippin in Isengard after the Ents have routed the Orcs.
One aspect about this shot I always like is how they've captured the lighting so well - to me the sideways slanted light looks just the way the sunlight does look after a huge storm has passed but there are still thick clouds overhead.
Then I got to thinking that the way this shot is composed reminds me of a few other shots throughout the trilogy.
Specifically, scenes where the camera is placed behind the Hobbits, so we see their backs, and we see these glimpses of the other worlds of Middle-earth as if through their eyes.
So above, we have Merry and Pippin witnessing the ending of Saruman's rule, and the ending of the Ents' last march.
Why use this particular viewpoint at these moments (as if we are standing behind the Hobbits)?
It gives a nice sense of perspective, doesn't it, and makes the mess all the more real. Seen from afar the chaos might not look like quite as much, but the close up view of what they see, with the detritus floating by and the gross and fouled water, makes you feel how much damage there is to clean up, and how much Saruman has twisted the landscape! What could the increasing distances and shift in eye level mean? This feels lie a classic 'Hobbit view' shot, of everything larger than they are. Except for the floating barrel Merry and Pippin have to look up at everything! Small folk in a big world - in this shot a big mess.
How do the three scenes compare in terms of mood and meaning? There is a storm in the distance but at last they have some sun. Excellent point about the lighting here Loresilme - the light of day has broken through, even if only in a small part of ME.
What might the scenes mean in relation to the Hobbits' journeys into the larger world and what they learn, and how they change along the way? The Hobbits had some shared experiences and some individual - are these scenes shedding any light on who was affected more by what, and how? Hmm, interestingly Pippin is in the lead here. A sign of his changing courage, and active role in figuring out what they will do next? Frodo and Sam watching Elves leaving for the harbor (FOTR):

In FOTR, it's nighttime. We are very closely positioned behind Frodo and Sam, at a below ground level perspective. The colors are muted blues and silvers, and some green, and the atmosphere is dreamlike. Why use this particular viewpoint at these moments (as if we are standing behind the Hobbits)?
In this scene I think 'dreamlike' as you perfectly phrased it is what we are seeing. The mist, the slow motion, intensely dignified Elven procession all are part of the dream-like vision that our Hobbits are seeing. What could the increasing distances and shift in eye level mean? Eye level here seems to imply that our Hobbits are part of the earth, removed from the focus, a silent and unexpected audience to the Elf procession. The Elves don't see them, but then the Elves aren't looking for anyone - their path is ahead of them and they are probably deep in their own thoughts of goodbye to ME and what will come next.
How do the three scenes compare in terms of mood and meaning? I agree with Sam, this part makes me sad because I think it makes the Elves sad...their leaving feels like a loss, and thought in canon we know it is inevitable its a loss of things ancient and beautiful.
What might the scenes mean in relation to the Hobbits' journeys into the larger world and what they learn, and how they change along the way? The Hobbits had some shared experiences and some individual - are these scenes shedding any light on who was affected more by what, and how? In this scene they are still so young, so unknowing; neither having the knowledge that this journey that seems so mystical to them now would be theirs to take one day. And this one from ROTK - the Hobbits, accompanied by Gandalf, seeing the last grey ship to leave Middle-earth: Why use this particular viewpoint at these moments (as if we are standing behind the Hobbits)?. What could the increasing distances and shift in eye level mean? What is the meaning of having Gandalf as part of the group of Hobbits in the ROTK scene? The whole composition of this scene - Gandalf higher and behind, and the eyeline sweep to the ship - all feel to me like this scene flows from Gandalf. Its like the culmination of all his work in ME, and thus the scene flows from him gracefully towards the waiting Firstborn, encompassing the Hobbits.
How do the three scenes compare in terms of mood and meaning? This scene makes me cry all these years later. I feel happy for Frodo, as EW does a spectacular job of showing the healing even in this small span...but simply giving up Frodo and Bilbo from ME is painful, bittersweet loss. I think the soft lighting of this scene, the gentle breeze are all visual ways to provide comfort for the loss to Merry, Pippin and Sam (and to all of us.) What might the scenes mean in relation to the Hobbits' journeys into the larger world and what they learn, and how they change along the way? The Hobbits had some shared experiences and some individual - are these scenes shedding any light on who was affected more by what, and how? The Ringbearers in front...nice point Loresilme. Bilbo up in front, the longest Ringbearer, aided by the two younger ones. Fantastic show but not empirically a sign of who needs the most healing - because I think that is Frodo. But Frodo is so newly wise and deeply aware of how injured Bilbo may be (because of his own pain), he supports Bilbo here instead. (LOVE when Elrond holds out his arms for Bilbo.)
EvilAnd what could Merry and Pippin have possibly been thinking, wading barefoot into waist-deep water in the aftermath of a battle ShockedSmile? A good example of what you don't know...could hurt you! But their curiosity and hunger trump any well-based fear!!! This was a fabulous and brilliantly thought out set of SCOD Loresilme, thanks for connecting these shots!!! Makes me appreciate ever the more the thought and heart that goes into these films by SPJ and Co. Heart

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Subject User Time
SCOD: Hobbits at the end of (many) things Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 21 2013, 2:03pm
    SCOD-The Hobbits at the End of many things willowing Send a private message to willowing Jun 22 2013, 9:43pm
        Very descriptive! Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 24 2013, 3:05pm
    A trio of shots Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 22 2013, 11:12pm
        Whoaaa Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 24 2013, 3:17pm
            For a three-hour (Philosphical) tour... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 24 2013, 4:42pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 28 2013, 8:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.