Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2013, 4:05am

Post #1 of 23 (142 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's the evening edition of TORn's Walk to Rivendell this week (in my time zone; your timing will vary Wink), as it's been a busy day for me. Next week, as well, will be a late edition after Beamer and I return from our Girl Scout adventure. But for now, how go your journeys?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 205.76
Cumulative miles: 14981.8
Miles along the journey: 1109.99
Miles out of the Lonely Mountain: 142.99

We're making our way with Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn between Mirkwood and the Grey Mountains. We've had an adjustment to our total group mileage this week, since I finally realized my spreadsheet numbers were off for grammaboodawg, but she kindly helped me get it all tidy again. Thanks, gramma!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 18
Cumulative miles: 640
Goal: There and Back Again!

It was weeding, shoveling, moving blocks and other such gardening/landscaping tasks for both Beamer and me this week, along with my dad and my Hobbit (between distractions). I'm not sure what kind of mileage we'll get next week on our Girl Scout troop trip, but I'm hoping for a bit of hiking. Smile

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 14
Cumulative miles: 620
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 7:46am

Post #2 of 23 (75 views)
Shortcut
Another week... [In reply to] Can't Post

You are going on an adventure, Arandiel? Don't forget your handkerchief! Tongue

We've had a bit of a heatwave here this week - very uncomfortable temperatures and not very good at all for doing anything beyond sitting quietly in the basement (the coolest place in the house), but there is stuff to be done regardless so I did get a bit of exercise...

Miles covered this week: 37
Cumulative miles: 756

Still in Mirkwood...

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2013, 12:28pm

Post #3 of 23 (97 views)
Shortcut
Miles this week... [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a very rainy start to the week and work was too busy to take time for the gym...

Currently still flying to the Carrock!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 22 2013, 1:50am

Post #4 of 23 (70 views)
Shortcut
Do bandannas count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm bringing a few of those. Come to think of it, we're bringing towels, too... But I digress. Cool

Sorry to hear about the heat wave. I hope things cool down for you soon - if not, do you have a pool nearby?

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 22 2013, 1:54am

Post #5 of 23 (67 views)
Shortcut
"Gonna fly like an eagle..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't resist!

So if you and Angharad73 could just trade a bit with each other, you'd both have great weather, right? But it seems to be the way of it these days - either too much or not enough, of whatever kind of weather we get.

I hope next week is better for you!

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jun 22 2013, 2:14am

Post #6 of 23 (86 views)
Shortcut
lots of miles this week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking back on my numbers, I've really been booking it this week, whew! I think this might be a record for me. This week was also a bit more adventurous than normal. My walk on Monday included out-running a thunderstorm (totally came out of nowhere!). It felt even more foreboding since I was listening to "Flight to the Ford" when I had to make a run for it. I was only a few blocks from home at that point, but I still ran like I had a Nazgul on my tail! Later in the week I did some biking on a few of the country roads near my house. I had forgotten how many farms there really are around here!

Miles covered this week: 28.4
Cumulative miles: 207.57

We made it past Weathertop this week and are now starting to journey into the lone-lands. Finally we are getting somewhere!

JRandomRohirrim01
The Shire

Jun 22 2013, 9:36pm

Post #7 of 23 (96 views)
Shortcut
Still Walking! [In reply to] Can't Post

I started walking a lot more and compulsively tracking my miles nearly 18 months ago and have walked about 1,000 miles since then.

I'd informally been following "Walk to Rohhirrim" from about 2003, and guestimated I'd walked about 800 miles between 2003 and 2012.

So that means I've pretty much made it to Mount Doom.

I guess it's time to start again! ;->

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 24 2013, 12:02am

Post #8 of 23 (51 views)
Shortcut
Before I forget... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's last week's mileage! Not as much as I wanted, but the bike has been put away. So rather inconvenient. But I did get some walking done! And much needed scrubbing....Tongue

last week: 9.8
cumulative: 1209.74
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

The weather has been AWESOME over the last week. So happy. Plenty of rain, what a HUGE blessing! And my garden is growing like weeds! (NO, they really are flowers, not weeds). Laugh I'm so excited and proud of them!

Keep going guys! Doing terrific work. Heart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 24 2013, 12:03am

Post #9 of 23 (41 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great work! Walking is such great exercise. Especially if you live in a nice area. (I live by some fields, so I get a bit of a back country-ish walk, which I LOVE. Especially when all the wildflowers start blooming). Keep up the awesome work!Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 24 2013, 12:05am

Post #10 of 23 (38 views)
Shortcut
One year... [In reply to] Can't Post

One year our temp got up to 115. It was SO HOT. Thank goodness it's a dry hot around here, not humid! Or else we would have boiled! I hope you get some nicer weather soon! It's so much easier to exercise when it's actually nice out....Cool

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 24 2013, 2:04pm

Post #11 of 23 (37 views)
Shortcut
Bandannas do count... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I believe. Anything you can, at least theoretically, wipe your nose on Tongue

The weather has cooled down again significantly. Last week we had 36C in the shade, today it's 17C. More comfortable, yes, but also not really summery.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 1:17am

Post #12 of 23 (34 views)
Shortcut
Howdy All! Well, I've reached a milestone [In reply to] Can't Post

...Sometime during the busy week, Bilbo, Gandalf and I discovered that the Quest is over!! We made it back to Bag End just in time to enjoy an Estate Sale. NOT HAPPENING! So now I'm going to work on a mileage chart that takes Sam to the Havens and off to join Frodo.

...Anyway... this week I did some massive toting of large stones-to-small stones and everything in between. I took advantage of a clear, cool week to re-do a very messy lawn ornament. Namely, an old plow. It dwelled in the same spot for about 5 years. I covered the ground around it with rocks gathered during my 10 plus years of walking. So I cleared out the rocks and moved them way over to that distant tree. The one by my overgrown mailbox. I carried all the stones over and started myself a rock garden :)

Miles covered: 31 miles reached last goal @ 10 miles (Bag End) with 21 miles left over
Cumulated miles: 2139
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group.

Thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! *waves fondly to one and all*

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 1:54am

Post #13 of 23 (32 views)
Shortcut
It's hot here this week! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it really does make it more of a challenge to get moving ;) I do a lot of stairs at work. All of us have to run around in sweaters they've got the air cranked so high!

Have a great week, Angharad73 :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 1:56am

Post #14 of 23 (32 views)
Shortcut
Hey! If you've gotta suffer a slow time [In reply to] Can't Post

Doing it flying with Eagles has got to be the best! Enjoy the ride :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 1:59am

Post #15 of 23 (36 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahahaa!! Great Story :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I could totally see the Nazgul hot on your tail and the rain crashing onto the ground behind you! Great Inspiration, right? Well Done!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 2:04am

Post #16 of 23 (31 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! *flying tackle hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

HOWDY JRR!!! It's so great to see you AND to have you join the Walk! You've definitely hit the ground running ;)

*massive hug* AWESOME!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 2:05am

Post #17 of 23 (33 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* I think I'm one of the few [In reply to] Can't Post

that can say my garden is growing like weeds... and it's totally accurate ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jun 26 2013, 2:08pm

Post #18 of 23 (43 views)
Shortcut
ha, I had hoped someone would enjoy it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, outrunning thunderstorms and nazgul is great motivation! Cool

Elwen
Lorien

Jun 26 2013, 3:08pm

Post #19 of 23 (31 views)
Shortcut
Been better about getting out and running... [In reply to] Can't Post

5 miles this week. It's been so hot and humid though I've been heading out very early.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 4:12pm

Post #20 of 23 (37 views)
Shortcut
I love listening to the soundtracks [In reply to] Can't Post

OR to the Books on tape/cd :) It really does make the walking more fun!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 1 2013, 12:36pm

Post #21 of 23 (21 views)
Shortcut
I don't see last week's posting... [In reply to] Can't Post

But just for when it is up, here is my mileage. I meant to do it yesterday. As always. Sly Had a pretty good week. Hope you guys did too!

miles last week: 16.6
cumulative: 1218.34
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Rolling rolling rolling...(if I don't stay on the bike I'LL be rolling rolling rolling....) Cool

Have a great week, everyone!!Heart

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 1 2013, 8:59pm

Post #22 of 23 (20 views)
Shortcut
WtR for Thursday, June 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Monday already, and my weekend turned out to be as crazy as the week was (more Girl Scout stuff, plus house cleaning and singing and teaching all of Sunday morning), and this is the first time I've logged in to TORn since my last WtR post. harrumph.

SO, feel free to post your miles for this past week here, or save it up for this coming Thursday (July 4), when I'll be bringing us all our regularly scheduled Walk to Rivendell thread.

And congratulations, gramma! (I'll do up a bigger congrats on Thursday)

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 1 2013, 10:17pm

Post #23 of 23 (26 views)
Shortcut
Last Week's Miles [In reply to] Can't Post

I did mostly walking and some biking, but no adventurous stories like last time. Cool We had good weather (though a bit hot), but I'm not complaining!

Miles covered last week: 21.9
Cumulative miles: 229.47
Goal: There and back again

Still trudging through the lone-lands - they seem to go on forever!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.