What have you been reading this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 10:49pm

Post #26 of 35 (63 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I love her [In reply to] Can't Post

some of them are set in New Zealand! But my favorites are the ones that take place in theaters, another locale she knew a lot about. Hand in Glove and Killer Dolphin, for instance. Death and the Dancing Footman is a terrific snowed-in-at-the-country-house murder mystery.

repeat the sounding joy!

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Revie
Rivendell

Dec 28 2007, 12:12am

Post #27 of 35 (68 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was a lot of fun too [In reply to] Can't Post

Are his other novels as enjoyable? I see that he's written a couple of sequels, The Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen.

Dymer's Dream: A Graphics Journal

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 28 2007, 1:37am

Post #28 of 35 (74 views)
Shortcut
Did you know [In reply to] Can't Post

that the White City was probably Baum's inspiration for the Emerald City? I'm a huge Oz fan, so I may have to read the book you mentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Letters from the Goddess
Firithyleleni
The Last Song of Leleni Mihaiën

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 28 2007, 2:00am

Post #29 of 35 (73 views)
Shortcut
I'm re-reading FOTR so I can participate in the reading room. [In reply to] Can't Post

We are at the Sign of The Prancing Pony until Jan 7. So this gives me time to catch up.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 2:05am

Post #30 of 35 (70 views)
Shortcut
That's a shame, because Brooks actually is a very good writer. [In reply to] Can't Post

He does very well with an original plot.

I liked SoS when I read it the first time (hey, sue me! I was 12...) but I don't think I could get through it now.

The only book I have ever physically cast aside was "The Rules" by Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider. What utter rubbish! They should retitle it "How To Be a Complete Fake and Trap Yourself a Sonofab**** Who's Not Worth Having Anyway."

I, too, loathe the "bodice-ripper" genre, and I will also put aside in disgust any book where the "heroine" spends any time moping about being single. Bleah!

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 2:13am

Post #31 of 35 (66 views)
Shortcut
I'm reading all of the Alleyn novels in order. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't care for the first few, but she's really starting to settle in to the style that I like from my hit-and-miss previous readings.

I just finished "Spinsters in Jeopardy" and I'm not sure how I like it. It's well written and moderately interesting (I don't really care for her plot devices involving drugs or off-beat religions) but I find myself cringing at her characterization of the Alleyns' poor little boy. If Troy doesn't loosen the apron strings, he's going to turn into a wuss.

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2007, 2:25am

Post #32 of 35 (56 views)
Shortcut
We have a "White City" tour [In reply to] Can't Post

so if you like the book we can check into availability. It usually sells out instantly, and I'll have to check if they're running in January. Also, I'm 3 blocks from the Chicago History Museum which has a nice collection of World's Fair artifacts.

I loved the book - read it twice.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 28 2007, 2:38am

Post #33 of 35 (62 views)
Shortcut
In defense of Brooks [In reply to] Can't Post

He meant his plagerism as a tribute and wrote it as a young man and his sequels took on a life of their own. I stand with you in the "derivative trash" corner but he has written other series that are enjoyable and his book on writing is fantastic. He knows he is hated and beloved for his Shannara stuff. I happen to think he is a fine person, whatever that is worth.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2007, 3:49am

Post #34 of 35 (48 views)
Shortcut
The sequels [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't find as enjoyable. Readable, but without what makes "Bridge of Birds" special. I've read the sequels once, and that was enough.

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 28 2007, 4:44pm

Post #35 of 35 (60 views)
Shortcut
Me too but [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to take a trip to the library for something else to read so I don't get ahead. That's what happened to me the last time it was discussed here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.