Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
June: What's your favorite Tolkien quote?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 5:47pm

Post #1 of 33 (478 views)
Shortcut
June: What's your favorite Tolkien quote? Can't Post

This month I'll go with:

It was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

wildespace
The Shire

Jun 18 2013, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 33 (295 views)
Shortcut
hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Boromir stirred, and Frodo looked at him. He was fingering his great horn and frowning."

Shocked

http://www.facebook.com/BookOfLostTales
http://www.facebook.com/groups/jrrtolkiengroup

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 6:31pm

Post #3 of 33 (288 views)
Shortcut
quickbeam [In reply to] Can't Post

'All that day they walked about in the woods with him, singing, and laughing; for Quickbeam often laughed. He laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring: then he stooped and splashed his feet and head with water; he laughed sometimes at some sound or whisper in the trees'

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 7:15pm

Post #4 of 33 (276 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never read that out of context before. Different implications indeed.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 7:19pm

Post #5 of 33 (264 views)
Shortcut
Good one [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a fond impression of Quickbeam because he was an instant and jolly friend to the hobbits when they were alone in such an alien environment and Treebeard's attention was focused elsewhere. It's remarkable that this description doesn't make Quickbeam seem maniacal or drugged out. He's more like Bombadill, jolly and innocent and enjoying every moment of life.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 8:35pm

Post #6 of 33 (249 views)
Shortcut
I like the joy in Quickbeam too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Making me think of trees Jimmyfenn, I do like this bit from Gimli to Legolas:

"None of Durin's race would mine those caves for stones or ore, not if diamonds and gold could be got there. Do you cut down groves of blossoming trees in the springtime for firewood?" (TTT: The Road to Isengard)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

demnation
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 9:47pm

Post #7 of 33 (254 views)
Shortcut
The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without wars to multiply them [In reply to] Can't Post

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 4:07am

Post #8 of 33 (238 views)
Shortcut
"Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you had heard only a quarter of the stories I have heard (and I have heard very little of all there is to hear), you would be prepared for any kind of adventure."

From memory, so probably not an accurate quote, but one that gives me goosebumps every time. And I always wish I knew more Gandalf stories.

Where's Frodo?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 4:17am

Post #9 of 33 (234 views)
Shortcut
The Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

This gem Enerdhil gave to Idril the King's daughter, and she wore it upon her breast; and so it was saved from the burning of Gondolin. And before Idril set sail she said to Earendil her son: 'The Elessar I leave with thee, for there are grievous hurts to Middle-earth which though maybe shalt heal. But to none other shalt thou deliver it.' ... But when Earendil began his great voyages upon the Sea he wore the Elessar upon his breast, for amongst all his searchings the thought was always before him: that he might perhaps find Idril again; and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower.

-Unfinished Tales, The Elessar

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Jun 19 2013, 4:19am)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 9:47am

Post #10 of 33 (239 views)
Shortcut
Since Leaf by Niggle is my favourite Tolkien story... [In reply to] Can't Post

“He was kindhearted, in a way. You know the sort of kind heart: it made him uncomfortable more often than it made him do anything; and even when he did anything, it did not prevent him from grumbling, losing his temper and swearing (mostly to himself).”

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale!?"

acheron
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 11:48am

Post #11 of 33 (230 views)
Shortcut
The wizard.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The wizard, to tell the truth, never minded explaining his cleverness more than once."

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2013, 1:47pm

Post #12 of 33 (215 views)
Shortcut
There is nothing like looking... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll pick

There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something (or so Thorin said to the young dwarves). You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.

The start is something many a parent must have said to their children (usually in response to "Da-a-a-a-d, have you seen my......?")
And oh the great power of finding something you weren't looking for

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 19 2013, 5:14pm

Post #13 of 33 (214 views)
Shortcut
I still like... [In reply to] Can't Post

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”

Pippin: "When you guys fall in the forest, does it make a sound?"
Bregalad: "Are you kidding? Scott fell last week and he hasn't shut up about it since!"

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jun 20 2013, 7:29am

Post #14 of 33 (211 views)
Shortcut
Pippin's... [In reply to] Can't Post

'That's what I meant,' said Pippin. 'We hobbits ought to stick together, and we will. I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the party.'
'Then you will certainly not be chosen, Peregrin Took!' said Gandalf. . .

This part always makes me smile...

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2013, 2:14pm

Post #15 of 33 (168 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Pippin- a great double-act ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Nira
Lorien

Jun 21 2013, 1:13am

Post #16 of 33 (174 views)
Shortcut
this month I'll go with... [In reply to] Can't Post

“Legolas watched them for a while with a smile upon his lips, and then he turned to the others. 'The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf or over snow-an Elf.'”

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jun 21 2013, 7:19am

Post #17 of 33 (155 views)
Shortcut
A little bit of elven wisdom [In reply to] Can't Post

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places, but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 21 2013, 8:48am

Post #18 of 33 (140 views)
Shortcut
Classic [In reply to] Can't Post

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

... ahem !

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 21 2013, 3:31pm

Post #19 of 33 (137 views)
Shortcut
Since we've been discussing it in the Sil threads recently.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Haleth's speech to Thingol- " If the King of Doriath fears a friendship between Haleth and those who have devoured her kin, then the thoughts of the Eldar are strange to Men"
I just love the way that Haleth stands up to Thingol- possibly an early example of early sarcsastic humour in Arda! Thingol is really being a jerk here!Smile

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 4:00pm

Post #20 of 33 (127 views)
Shortcut
Go Haleth!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Haleth's speech to Thingol- " If the King of Doriath fears a friendship between Haleth and those who have devoured her kin, then the thoughts of the Eldar are strange to Men"
I just love the way that Haleth stands up to Thingol- possibly an early example of early sarcsastic humour in Arda! Thingol is really being a jerk here!Smile

One of my favorite lines EVER!!!! Smile

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 21 2013, 4:20pm

Post #21 of 33 (116 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! She really exposes his often not-too-bright thinking with her sassiness. // [In reply to] Can't Post

KasDel
Rivendell

Jun 21 2013, 7:31pm

Post #22 of 33 (110 views)
Shortcut
My Signature [In reply to] Can't Post

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 21 2013, 7:45pm

Post #23 of 33 (99 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, KasDel! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for contributing to the quotes.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 8:24pm

Post #24 of 33 (147 views)
Shortcut
Seconding that Welcome KasDel! [In reply to] Can't Post

And wise words to live by. Cool

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jun 23 2013, 2:56am

Post #25 of 33 (79 views)
Shortcut
A June quote: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tired as he was, Bilbo would have liked to stay a while. Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars, not if you care for such things."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.