Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Kanye and Kim's baby is named... (Related to The Hobbit remarkably)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jun 21 2013, 2:37pm

Post #1 of 40 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Kanye and Kim's baby is named... (Related to The Hobbit remarkably) Can't Post

Nori...yes Nori. She better have fantastic hair...Thoughts? Theories? Is Kim or Kanye secretly a ringer?

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 21 2013, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 40 (691 views)
Shortcut
Nori is short for... [In reply to] Can't Post

North.

They named their child North West.

I don't think they draw one lick of inspiration from Tolkien. I don't think Tolkien is in their sphere of reference.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 21 2013, 3:19pm

Post #3 of 40 (543 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

They named their child North West.

*facepalms* Poor kid.

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

Darth Bungo: "Gandalf the Gray never told you what happened to your father."
Bilbo Barrel-rider: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."
Darth Bungo: "No, I am your father."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2013, 3:21pm

Post #4 of 40 (550 views)
Shortcut
Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sad that the influence of tabloid reality entertainment has made it here.

Passagas the Brown
The Shire

Jun 21 2013, 3:52pm

Post #5 of 40 (474 views)
Shortcut
How do you know that for sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who is to say that the Wests are not Tolkien fans?

I hope the fact that Kanye is a rapper, or African American, does not lead one to a definitive conclusion that he simply cannot be interested in Tolkien.

(This post was edited by Passagas the Brown on Jun 21 2013, 3:53pm)

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 21 2013, 3:57pm

Post #6 of 40 (477 views)
Shortcut
proof. boom. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://omg.yahoo.com/...named-024605264.html

Nori just seems the natural shortening of North.

Hmmm....what about the other compass directions?

"You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf

(This post was edited by bungobaggins on Jun 21 2013, 3:59pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 21 2013, 4:26pm

Post #7 of 40 (422 views)
Shortcut
I did write, "I think" [In reply to] Can't Post

and my opinion of both of them is formed by what they say and how they behave. It has nothing to do with their race or rapping.

I am always very aware of not knowing the truth about any star whether I like them or not. Thus 'I think'... not 'definitive conclusion.'

But the Tolkien fans that I know tend to exude a whole different sort of vibe than West or Kardashian.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2013, 4:35pm

Post #8 of 40 (411 views)
Shortcut
Gosh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope the fact that Kanye is a rapper, or African American, does not lead one to a definitive conclusion that he simply cannot be interested in Tolkien.

Gosh, that's a little harsh. What does that have to do with anything?

What's most likely, and what I and probably countless others think is most obvious, is that what's-her-name-Kim is a vapid celebrity vacant of intellect whose only wealth comes from selling her family for public consumption. Kanye "look-at-me-and-not-Taylor" West only diminishes himself through her, like a Broadway actor in Vaudeville by comparison.

But I do like the cute play on words with Kanye's last name. That's kinda clever, if not just outright mental abuse in the waiting for the kid. It would be better as a name for a company like "North West Productions."

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 21 2013, 4:40pm)

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #9 of 40 (403 views)
Shortcut
Breaking news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kanye and Kim have just announced that the child's middle name will be By-North

So now when they call out the full name...oh well you know. Tongue

What's most likely, and what I and probably countless others think is most obvious, is that what's-her-name-Kim is a vapid celebrity vacant of intellect whose only wealth comes from selling her family for public consumption. Kanye "look-at-me-and-not-Taylor" West only diminishes himself through her, like a Broadway actor in Vaudeville by comparison.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And as far as future mental abuse, having grown up with an unusual last name, it's not fun. Kids can be cruel, and parents don't seem to think about that. Frown

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jun 21 2013, 6:39pm

Post #10 of 40 (357 views)
Shortcut
In would like to state... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't give a hoot about any of that kind of living or the people in it, just found a comical situation (in my mind) that related to The Hobbit. Sorry if it upset in you some manner.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2013, 6:53pm

Post #11 of 40 (335 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It is comical. Not really a Hobbit story, but this is the "Off Topic" section, so it doesn't need to be. Wink

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 8:25pm

Post #12 of 40 (311 views)
Shortcut
If They Lived in New Zealand [In reply to] Can't Post

they probably would not get away with this. NZ has laws about what one can name a child. For instance child cannot be named using titles. No Duchess (I knew one), Earl, Duke, Princess or King as a first name. The most interesting story in NZ about names is the child, who I think was 8 at the time, who was allowed by a judge to change her first name which was Talula Does the Hula in Hawaii. She changed the name to something like Beverly.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2013, 8:34pm

Post #13 of 40 (287 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand Law [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you saying there is probably a law in New Zealand against giving a child the name of a compass direction? Or does it go through a more subjective process where every registered name must pass the scrutiny of individuals with the authority to decline on any basis?

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 21 2013, 8:36pm

Post #14 of 40 (281 views)
Shortcut
I know that Earl is a title of nobility [In reply to] Can't Post

(or something like nobility if I got that label wrong)

but it's a fairly common name in the States. My uncle was named Earl and one of our mods is named Earl. :-)

Earl Stanley Gardener
Earl Scruggs
James Earl Jones
James Earl Ray
W. Earl Brown
and Jimmy Earl Carter

are just a few of our Earls.

I do think, here, at least, the name when applied to a person, has really kind of disconnected from the title of nobility.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 8:40pm

Post #15 of 40 (274 views)
Shortcut
Here is a link [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/new-zealand-banned-baby-names_n_3202017.html

There is an imbed in this story to another at CNN about the issue. It might be that compass directions would pass muster as long as the name would not embarrass the child.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 8:42pm

Post #16 of 40 (271 views)
Shortcut
This always confuses me [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see those lists of names we are apparently not supposed to give to children, I can tick off a long list of children I know or have known, who have these names. And they are of a variety of ages, so it can't be that the names were previously acceptable and now aren't.
Examples off the top of my head would be Duke and Messiah. We have current pupils at our school with those names. And I know a couple of Lucifers and several Justices (with all sorts of creative spellings), both on the supposedly banned list. I'm starting to think the whole thing is an urban myth.
If you wanted to call your child 'North' in NZ, there would be nothing to stop you.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 8:47pm

Post #17 of 40 (266 views)
Shortcut
Those stories [In reply to] Can't Post

about 'banned' names need to be taken with a few grains of salt, as they don't necessarily reflect reality.

(This post was edited by Starling on Jun 21 2013, 8:49pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 8:52pm

Post #18 of 40 (258 views)
Shortcut
Does NZ have a Baby Name Registry? [In reply to] Can't Post

some countries apparently do. And you can only choose a name from that list. Iceland comes to mind. There was just a news story about that recently. If not maybe the rules are haphazardly applied.

Where I live there are couple of strapping young men named Precious -- oh another LOTR reference!

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 9:06pm

Post #19 of 40 (254 views)
Shortcut
You have to register the birth [In reply to] Can't Post

within two months or so. Friends of mine were threatened with a fine if they didn't register the birth of one of their daughters (they just forgot). You wouldn't necessarily have a name at that stage, so possibly this all comes up if people request a birth certificate.
I think there is a list of names you are not supposed to use, but perhaps it depends on who sees the forms or something.
Every time this list of names you supposedly can't use is released, a lot of people say "Huh?"
I'm sure some of the more outlandish or offensive ones have been refused, but there are plenty of supposedly banned names which are in common use.

When I was growing up, there was a very famous weightlifter in NZ named Precious McKenzie. From memory, he had been a very sickly or premature baby, so he was indeed precious. Smile

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 10:00pm

Post #20 of 40 (249 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up with a made-up first name, middle name and German surname (in an area of the US with hardly any German descendants). I spent every day of my life spelling it and pronouncing it to people. I have a nickname that is a little easier, and I married a man whose name was about the easiest thing ever to spell. We named our children Elizabeth and Jack. No funny stuff. I wouldn't do that to my kids.

「さようなら、ミスター∑ホームズ」〜アイリーン∑アダラーのメール

「ベルグレービアの醜聞」

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 11:41pm

Post #21 of 40 (222 views)
Shortcut
Nori is also the Name of the SeaWeed that Sushi... [In reply to] Can't Post

is wrapped in...Maybe they just love
Sushi?

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 11:48pm

Post #22 of 40 (226 views)
Shortcut
I actually love seaweed... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is wrapped in...Maybe they just love
Sushi?

But my favorite way is wrapped onigiri with tunafish...still wouldn't name my kid after it, though.

「さようなら、ミスター∑ホームズ」〜アイリーン∑アダラーのメール

「ベルグレービアの醜聞」

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 22 2013, 12:15am

Post #23 of 40 (219 views)
Shortcut
No, they are not Ringers [In reply to] Can't Post

Kanye and Kim have probably never picked up a book before, after all, they don't know how to read or comprehend big words. That's why they exploit themselves and their families. How else are they going to make money, since they can't read. Wink

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 22 2013, 12:17am

Post #24 of 40 (230 views)
Shortcut
Vibes [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed Tolkien fans tend to give off good vibes, whereas West and Kardashian give off annoying vibes.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 22 2013, 12:43am

Post #25 of 40 (207 views)
Shortcut
A Dad in South Taranaki [In reply to] Can't Post

is a fan of Ford cars and named all his kids after Ford brands E.g. Falcon, Kuga,..)

Poor, poor kids.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.