Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
When recommending Tolkien's works to a friend, which book would you recommend be read first?

Ringil Ice

Jun 19 2013, 7:52pm

Post #1 of 14 (280 views)
Shortcut
When recommending Tolkien's works to a friend, which book would you recommend be read first? Can't Post

I've had this debate with myself many a time. The Hobbit, first written? LOTR, the best known? The Silmarillion, the beginning of it all?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 19 2013, 8:06pm

Post #2 of 14 (191 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the friend, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Are they are slow reader, or do they prefer simple things and like to get straight to the action?
The Hobbit.

Do they love long, detailed books and getting immersed in another place while reading, but would be put off by a children's book?
The Lord of the Rings

Do they read everything they can get their hands on?
Tell them to start with The Hobbit and carry on immediately through LOTR...and then on to the Sil and HOME and....Wink

Do they really love mythology or philosophy and read history for fun?
Possibly The Silmarillion, though I think it would be a rare person who should actually start with this. It's such an unconventional book that I think it holds more interest for those who have already encountered Middle-earth. Most people would bog down and lose interest if they read it first.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 8:41pm

Post #3 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Ringil Ice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Silverlode on all points - for most people I think LOTR might be the best place to start overall, though TH is not a bad place either. I tried to get my husband into ME by reading TH - sadly the journey stopped there!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 8:56pm

Post #4 of 14 (160 views)
Shortcut
Neither, spare your friend all those boring books [In reply to] Can't Post

Farmer Giles of Ham: And Other Stories is the way to start on Tolkien.

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 19 2013, 9:08pm

Post #5 of 14 (153 views)
Shortcut
Here's a couple links [In reply to] Can't Post

We get this question occasionally, and several people have provided suggestions. Of course, you know your friend the best, so the answer may vary depending on their particular likes and dislikes.

This is from our old Green Books site: Turgon's suggestions

David Bratman suggests this order

Here's another suggestion

I read The Hobbit first, and it's still my favorite. I would not recommend The Sil first since it's not really a finished work but rather a collection of stories that were intended to eventually form a narrative.

Probably either The Hobbit or LOTR first, depending on what you think your friend would like. The Hobbit is more child-like, so some people might think it's too simplistic. But I think it's the most approachable for anyone who doesn't know Tolkien.

Another option is to see if your friend likes the movies. Now that the first Hobbit movie has been released, it's possible to try both AUJ and FOTR and see which captures his or her interest.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 3:43am

Post #6 of 14 (120 views)
Shortcut
Dpentds on the age and mental maturity of the friend... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not The Silmarillion, though. That is for someone who has already read The Lord of the Rings and wants to delve deeper into the history of Middle-earth.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 8:15am

Post #7 of 14 (122 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the friend's age. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit would be a real turnoff to most adults who haven't been exposed to Tolkien, but of course it's great for kids. LotR is the best starting point for most adults, because it's a well-formed story told in a mature style. If they fall in love with it, they will have the motivation to read TH.

The Sil is so abstract, complex, and mythic that it will not appeal to a lot of readers, even those who love LotR. The true test is whether the reader dove into LotR appendices (at least A and B) with relish and delight -- if so, the Sil should work fine!

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jun 20 2013, 8:17am)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jun 20 2013, 2:57pm

Post #8 of 14 (107 views)
Shortcut
Depends upon the friend's preferences and Tolkien background knowledge [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is written in that avuncular tone that just irritates some people (I shudder at those instances it shows up in CSLewis' work as well) and has a decidedly "childish" tone.

LOTR though has a lot of poetry that movie firsters are not expecting, but it is the best intro to Middle Earth.

The Silmarillion is not a book I would recommend for an intro to Middle Earth. There are parts that are wonderfully cohesive, but it's too "scholarly" for the average reader.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 5:13pm

Post #9 of 14 (101 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Ringil. I agree with everything Silverlode said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious: which books have you read, and in what order? For me it was traditional: Hobbit > LOTR > Silmarillion, etc.

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 20 2013, 5:36pm

Post #10 of 14 (103 views)
Shortcut
This is how I made the decision [In reply to] Can't Post

to go with "Children of Hurin", a story with a slightly darker edge to it, for a friend.

There is everything from light-hearted poetry, the philosophical musings on faerie-stories, and the darker and more dramatic to choose from.

Ringil Ice

Jun 20 2013, 5:52pm

Post #11 of 14 (94 views)
Shortcut
Hey Curious G, I also agree with Silverlode. [In reply to] Can't Post

All of these considerations sound like wise ideas. Part of the reason I asked the question is because I first read LOTR proper when I was 9 and don't remember that much from the first reading because I have read them many times since. I've also read the Sil, TH, Unfinished Tales, and the first 4 books in the History of Middle Earth in that order. And a few Tolkien biographies.

Ringil Ice

Jun 20 2013, 5:58pm

Post #12 of 14 (101 views)
Shortcut
I like this idea a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

Children of Hurin feels more down to the root of Tolkien to me, because it is part of the history of the world he loved while also being a story that he seemed to have wrote with similarities to those he read and revised as a scholar of Anglo-Saxon literature. Cool idea. Also Beleg Cuthalion was awesome.

T_Meyers
Bree

Jun 25 2013, 10:03pm

Post #13 of 14 (41 views)
Shortcut
I would say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...The Hobbit first since its the easiest to get into in terms of story and grammatical structure. But I always follow up with the fact that The Children of Hurin is my favorite of Tolkien's works.

"Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - ERIC ELMOOR AND THE GAUNTLET OF GODRIC

"One final word……….. Tolkien and Rowling’s [books] will be family favourites for years to come and if book one of Tommy's [series], Eric Elmoor and the Gauntlet of Godric, is anything to go by he will be joining these great authors!" - comment by Orchard Book Club

Book 2 of the Eric Elmoor Saga, "Eric Elmoor and The Chalice of Cameron," is coming soon!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2013, 2:08am

Post #14 of 14 (49 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a great one to introduce people to Middle-earth, Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves... and everything inbetween ;)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.