Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Subject: high school yearbooks

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 1:52am

Post #1 of 17 (153 views)
Shortcut
Subject: high school yearbooks Can't Post

Mrs. sil does a bit of faceplantbook although i won't and she came to me a few days ago that a fellow HS classmate and runner was inquiring about me. There was a picture that looked vaguely familiar (46years ago). So i found and blew the centuries of dust (pretending i was in the far lower recesses of Minas Tirith) off my HS yearbook. It turns out it was a small unassuming guy a year behind me that i do not ever remember speaking with.

I may have gone a little far with this intro thing but it does seem rather amazing given the years. But what i am trying to get at, is that i did go on a reminiscing perambulation for a spell and ran into the area beyond our senior class pictures where the names are listed alphabetically and a short list of personality attributes are listed for each of us.

I then thought it might be fun to see how willing you all might be to share something like it from your own yearbook if you can actually find it and has a categorization something like that i have mentioned. If you wish me to go first i will otherwise i skip in near the end.

So what do you think?

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2013, 2:40am

Post #2 of 17 (92 views)
Shortcut
what are you asking for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Share something like 'what'?

I don't think we did personality attributes, if that's what you're looking for. The senior class could list their achievements and I kind of made a joke of mine adding perfect attendance in 5th grade and best 8th grade math student. I'm not sure anyone got the joke.

But there wasn't anything else. People got voted as 'most' or 'best' and I kind of wanted most cynical but I didn't get it.

I was in math and science club and band, though.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 2:55am

Post #3 of 17 (87 views)
Shortcut
Yearbook [In reply to] Can't Post

I was voted "Most Studious" in my graduating class. There's a picture of me (with my male counterpart) mostly hidden behind a stack of books in the school library.

Pretty accurate photo, actually, except the pile would not have been school books. It would have been LotR and a pile of other Fantasy and SF books. Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 2:57am

Post #4 of 17 (97 views)
Shortcut
OK i will use myself an example [In reply to] Can't Post

to get a little better idea. But i think it is just a suggestion. I would think anything that one is comfortable with or anything that comes to mind. What you contributed is fine:). Ok this what i mean:

John silneldor...John...canoe tripper...the urge to tackle...abhors anything boring...oh brother...bitten by the Bill Crosby bug...motorcycle mania.

That's it

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2013, 3:02am

Post #5 of 17 (88 views)
Shortcut
Well...all I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

about my high school yearbook, is being named the "quietest", which is not surprising considering those were the years I acquired the "dernwyn" Tolkien-ish nickname.

And I remember how I signed my friends' books: "May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2013, 3:43am

Post #6 of 17 (91 views)
Shortcut
that's what your yearbook said? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or what you would have it say if you could write it today?

yeah... our yearbooks didn't do anything like that.

Sadly, something happened in the production of the yearbook in my senior year and they weren't delivered till after school let out so we weren't able to sign each others. And something happened with the quality and the pictures were all really dark.

Did you know that some yearbooks have been reprinted and can be purchased on amazon?

and I think you mean Bill Cosby. unless you meant Bing Crosby. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2013, 3:45am

Post #7 of 17 (81 views)
Shortcut
signing yearbooks [In reply to] Can't Post

Scholastic had a book you could buy with lots of cute things to sign.

2 cute 2 b 4 gotten

Y Y U R
Y Y U B
I C U R
Y Y 4 me!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 18 2013, 7:23am

Post #8 of 17 (82 views)
Shortcut
No personality traits, or inspirational quotes from me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did win "Best Driver" as part of our yearbook. I'm so very proud of it ...Wink

Does anyone dare upload a picture of their yearbook picture? Sly

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 7:29am

Post #9 of 17 (79 views)
Shortcut
In my final year of high school I was described thus: [In reply to] Can't Post

'Devil's advocate and founder of recreational arguing during interval'. (That's a quote from the school magazine, which is the nearest thing to a yearbook we had.)

Very unfair, considering I was a perfect angel. Angelic

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 2:27am

Post #10 of 17 (38 views)
Shortcut
That is too bad about your yearbook. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably took the lowest bidder and quality suffered. And a once in a lifetime deal too.

I guess yearbooks then really do differ, especially over the years. And you were right about it being 'Cosby' , although 'Crosby' is not far away in my mind still from the great songs that group played. I still have all his monologue 'records' here ...somewhere Laugh. They were hilarious and they were clean.

No, that was in the yearbook. They were all similar in style for the lot of us being about 125 in number. Perhaps 'oh brother!' could be explained. It was a pet saying of mine that they used to kid me about.

Laugh

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 2:29am

Post #11 of 17 (36 views)
Shortcut
A picture you say Daniel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh You firstSmile. I will follow.

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 2:32am

Post #12 of 17 (43 views)
Shortcut
What? Only 5 brave souls here:) Come on sibs.\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

J.R.R. Tolkien

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 3:56am

Post #13 of 17 (41 views)
Shortcut
Not in the "official" yearbook [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was in high school, there was not a page in the yearbook describing each student. There was a separate ballot where we chose "cutest couple", "nicest parents", "most likely to go to jail", etc. Well, that last one I might have made up. Anyway, results were tallied, typed, mimeographed, and distributed. It felt somewhat rebellious, but must have been officially sanctioned, or how would it get mimeographed? It was probably done by the student council. Anyway, as I recall, I was voted "longest hair" (zzzzz) and my husband-to-be was named "most radical"!

Where's Frodo?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2013, 6:46am

Post #14 of 17 (26 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I think that's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I hadn't been so shy at school and had voiced what I was thinking, I would probably have been described the same way.Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2013, 6:57am

Post #15 of 17 (25 views)
Shortcut
I was such a wallflower [In reply to] Can't Post

that I don't think anyone even knew who I was. They certainly didn't know me well enough to give me some sort of title except maybe, "Who???" LaughTongue I did show up, headless, in my middle school yearbook in the section showing fads for that year. I was wearing an Annie Hall type outfit with vest (waistcoat) and tie. La-di-da! Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 7:43am

Post #16 of 17 (55 views)
Shortcut
Headless? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's an eye-opener, and no mistake!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 22 2013, 4:46pm

Post #17 of 17 (12 views)
Shortcut
Can I use the excuse that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The book (and picture) is somewhere in my parents house? And if I could share it ... I would? Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.