Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I would like to ask a question about the length of post titles ie: how long is too long? Because some post titles seem to be so long it's almost like the whole post is in the title, for example this one. And I have to admit that at times I find this to be

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 4:41am

Post #1 of 11 (191 views)
Shortcut
I would like to ask a question about the length of post titles ie: how long is too long? Because some post titles seem to be so long it's almost like the whole post is in the title, for example this one. And I have to admit that at times I find this to be Can't Post

ever so slightly irritating.
On TORn 201 it says something about using what you see on the boards as guidance.
So, how long is too long?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 20 2013, 4:46am

Post #2 of 11 (153 views)
Shortcut
We used to ask people [In reply to] Can't Post

to shorten subject lines when they pushed out the margins of the discussion board, but that happens less these days with wider computer monitors. (And I think the new discussion boards wrap-around subject lines better than OldTorn did.)

Personally, I liken over-long subject lines to an itch that I can't scratch.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 20 2013, 4:47am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 4:53am

Post #3 of 11 (167 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

And a subject line such as the above can be a right pain.
Perhaps the answer is to be found in the wisdom of Goldilocks?
You know, the 'just right' factor. Wink

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 20 2013, 12:33pm

Post #4 of 11 (159 views)
Shortcut
Lol. I personally find them to be rather rude [In reply to] Can't Post

How times have changed. It used to be that computer screens were too small and/or screen resolution too low, to handle long subject lines well, now it's cell-phones and tablets. Some of those long subject lines fill up most of a cell phone window! It would be much better netiquette to keep them shorter, and would be more considerate of the fact that many people are viewing the forums on much smaller screens than each of us may be typing on at the moment.

If they get excessive, we do ask people to shorten them. But, they're kind of like weeds, they slowly grow again until suddenly you notice... they're ba-a-a-a-a-ack. Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 5:05pm

Post #5 of 11 (110 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for commenting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm often a bit torn myself when I consider people looking in threaded mode won't have to open a thread by me that could fit on a single, longish line. But I hadn't thought about reading on smartphones, which I never do (bad eyesight). Judgment calls, I suppose.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2013, 5:56pm

Post #6 of 11 (112 views)
Shortcut
I usually put about half of a sentence in the subject line [In reply to] Can't Post

to give a hint of the contents, then continue on in the message space. I don't understand why one would need/want a subject line much longer than the box provided, let alone a whole paragraph. The only exception is in games, where if it's not too long, it's nice to have all the answers in subject lines because then the Threaded readers don't have to "open" any of them.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 10:10pm

Post #7 of 11 (94 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean like [In reply to] Can't Post

this? Cool

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 10:48pm

Post #8 of 11 (136 views)
Shortcut
It's because the style of these boards is very different [In reply to] Can't Post

...from what people are accustomed to. The whole concept here, with subject lines, threaded conversations, etc., is very different from what I see as the "norm" in other boards, which is why we get such a disconnect whenever one of the "threaded vs. unthreaded" conversations breaks out. A significant number of folks just don't "get" the design intent here.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 24 2013, 5:41pm

Post #9 of 11 (45 views)
Shortcut
I propose a "Very Long Subject LIne Challenge"! Itmightservetohighlightinahumorouswaywhattheproblemis . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Evil

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 24 2013, 6:32pm

Post #10 of 11 (45 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 24 2013, 6:48pm

Post #11 of 11 (52 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe you really meant:

Evil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.