Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"I Can Put My Camera Anywhere": The Main Problem With the Hobbit Film(s)

Passagas the Brown
The Shire

Jun 19 2013, 5:36pm

Views: 1891
Shortcut
"I Can Put My Camera Anywhere": The Main Problem With the Hobbit Film(s) Can't Post

I submit that the main problem with the Hobbit films is this: Peter Jackson, due primarily to the overuse of CGI, takes the camera wherever he wants, and this, combined with the CGI on top of CGI, pristine digitial photography, and overuse of studio sets and green screen, creates the:

1. "Fake" or "typical blockbuster" look that so many people dislike, and;
2. The ability of PJ to place even his main characters, through digital double overusage, anywhere on the screen, which contributes to fake, consequence-less and video game-esque moments (such as the egregious "Bombur crashing through the multi-level bridges in Goblin Town," like some kind of Mario in reverse). This also leads PJ to "overdo" his action sequences, turning them into cartoony amusement park rides, and eating up time better spent on characters.

Indeed, I remember cringing when the decision to shelve "bigatures" and "miniatures" was made. But that's not because I thought bigatures and miniatures were the ideal solution - CGI buildings can look just as real (and sometimes, far better). It was because of PJ's statement, in one of the vlogs, that this decision freed him up to, and I paraphrase "put the camera wherever I want - through a doorway, down a hole, etc." For me, this meant that the films were sure to look artificial.

Many have posited that the decision to get rid of bigatures and miniatures is at the crux of the problem. But I think that misses the mark (or at least doesn't go deep enough). For example: Contrary to popular belief, the Game of Thrones television series used quite a bit of CGI, and certainly doesn't use miniatures and bigatures for structures, etc. However, few notice it. Why? Because the camera is relatively stable (i.e. not swooping into every crevice and ravine), which helps sell the CGI elements as solid objects. The audience loses some of its suspension of disbelief when the directors try too hard to follow the dragons - some of the least convincing shots involve taking to the skies with them. Furthermore, most of GoT is shot on location, which helps sell the locations as actual places. PJ, early on, decided to "trust the studio" much more than he did with LoTR, and IMO, that trust was misguided.

In short, it is not the omission of bigatures and miniatures alone that led to this problem, as CGI objects can look strikingly convincing if filmed a certain way. It is the swoopy directorial style of PJ, exacerbated by the "freedom" of using more CGI, that led to all of the excesses in the first Hobbit film (and is seemingly continued in part 2, if the trailer is any indication - I mean, without this freedom of camera placement, would we really be seeing dwarves in barrels bouncing around in whitewater while simultaneously fighting orcs and being chased by CGI elves?).

The ability to put the camera "anywhere" exacerbates PJ's penchant for OTT, unrealistic action, and it contributes to the sense that we are watching a digital world, with digital players. When you add digital photography, and a much heavier use of the studio, you get a very artificial-looking facsimile of Middle Earth.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But given PJ's love of swooping and swerving, advances in CGI and camera technologies threw his restraint over the ledge. To the detriment of other aspects of the story.

Am I right? Crazy?

What say you?

- Passagas the Brown

(This post was edited by Passagas the Brown on Jun 19 2013, 5:38pm)

Subject User Time
"I Can Put My Camera Anywhere": The Main Problem With the Hobbit Film(s) Passagas the Brown Send a private message to Passagas the Brown Jun 19 2013, 5:36pm
    I love Game of Thrones Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 19 2013, 6:01pm
    I've made my peace with it... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Jun 19 2013, 6:09pm
    Interesting ideas Lucky Luke Send a private message to Lucky Luke Jun 19 2013, 6:21pm
        Quality of CGI gone down? Now tell me there is a tooth fairy. Tigero Send a private message to Tigero Jun 19 2013, 7:07pm
            I agree CathrineB Send a private message to CathrineB Jun 19 2013, 7:20pm
            CGI JWPlatt Jun 19 2013, 7:26pm
            Tooth fairy Lucky Luke Send a private message to Lucky Luke Jun 19 2013, 10:56pm
                Azog was nice too, but i must agree on the other points Tigero Send a private message to Tigero Jun 20 2013, 9:42am
            I love that shot There&ThereAgain Send a private message to There&ThereAgain Jun 21 2013, 7:38pm
        but. deskp Send a private message to deskp Jun 19 2013, 7:18pm
    If you are suggesting Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jun 19 2013, 6:34pm
        That's highly subjective... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Jun 19 2013, 6:49pm
            Subjective or not Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jun 19 2013, 7:18pm
                Agree to disagree... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Jun 19 2013, 7:27pm
                Yup, all the scenery is nice Tigero Send a private message to Tigero Jun 19 2013, 7:33pm
                    But none of those things dominate the visual appearance of the show... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Jun 19 2013, 7:45pm
                        I quite agree with you on GOT Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 19 2013, 8:50pm
                            Undisciplined is the EXACT word for it IMO jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jun 20 2013, 12:11am
                                Indeed Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 20 2013, 2:31pm
                                    The one shot that really bugs me. bungobaggins Jun 20 2013, 2:51pm
                                    Wait a second here... Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jun 20 2013, 2:55pm
                No way Passagas the Brown Send a private message to Passagas the Brown Jun 20 2013, 4:25am
                    Ha Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jun 20 2013, 12:44pm
    It's a false comparison... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jun 19 2013, 8:23pm
        Disagreed Passagas the Brown Send a private message to Passagas the Brown Jun 20 2013, 4:23am
            Pan's Labyrinth isn't a fairy tale... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jun 20 2013, 2:15pm
        Gritty realism glor Send a private message to glor Jun 20 2013, 2:04pm
            It's not everyone's cup of tea... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jun 20 2013, 2:10pm
                medieval with fantasy elements glor Send a private message to glor Jun 20 2013, 10:38pm
                    Not even the same... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jun 20 2013, 10:49pm
            Don't see that at all. Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Jun 20 2013, 10:51pm
    *raises eyebrows* ANYwhere?!? Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jun 19 2013, 11:45pm
    Through The Ring JWPlatt Jun 20 2013, 12:16am
    Well... you have to remember your Jackson. TheHutt Send a private message to TheHutt Jun 20 2013, 8:15am
        2 Thingies PJ does so well.. Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jun 20 2013, 12:58pm
    There's a problem? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 20 2013, 2:15pm
        This is exactly what I have observed as well. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jun 20 2013, 2:28pm
    I've come to the conclusion... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Jun 21 2013, 10:40pm
    while I do agree with your points Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jun 23 2013, 3:56pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.