Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Posting is like the Road, Rachel!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 2:53pm

Views: 201
Shortcut
Posting is like the Road, Rachel! [In reply to] Can't Post

You never know where it might get swept off to! But that's the fun in it!

I see your upthread point Elizabeth - reading something constantly analyzing for intended allegory is more like a homework exercise. It would really remove you from reading and feeling deeper meanings and just sort of cut and pastes other meanings into the text. I like that JRRT's 'meanings' are more complex and buried more with character rather than once-removed symbolisms.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Subject User Time
So, why exactly did J.R.R. Tolkien not like C.S Lewis's The lion the witch and the wardrobe? RachellovesLOTR Send a private message to RachellovesLOTR Jun 18 2013, 11:38pm
    I think it was largely a matter of taste - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jun 19 2013, 12:54am
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is very much an allegory. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Jun 19 2013, 6:51am
        Ok RachellovesLOTR Send a private message to RachellovesLOTR Jun 19 2013, 7:23am
        An allegory... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 19 2013, 7:38am
            I've experienced the same problem with The Lord of the Flies BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Jun 19 2013, 9:18am
                “He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.” noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 20 2013, 11:23am
                    That's the problem I have with school education. BoromirOfWinterfell Send a private message to BoromirOfWinterfell Jun 20 2013, 6:12pm
            "People dont seem to understand the difference between an allegory and a repetition" Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 19 2013, 1:29pm
                Okay RachellovesLOTR Send a private message to RachellovesLOTR Jun 19 2013, 1:39pm
                    there may be Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Jun 19 2013, 2:00pm
                    We generally don't lock topics entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jun 19 2013, 2:00pm
                        Oh, ok RachellovesLOTR Send a private message to RachellovesLOTR Jun 19 2013, 2:13pm
                            Posting is like the Road, Rachel! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 19 2013, 2:53pm
                Y'know, I might be one of those people… noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jun 20 2013, 7:22pm
            There certainly are a lot of allegories in Narnia elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jun 19 2013, 9:32pm
                so +that's+ Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Jun 19 2013, 10:16pm
    Tolkien didn't like it wildespace Send a private message to wildespace Jun 19 2013, 9:26am
    They also had a falling out CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 19 2013, 12:38pm
        Actually their friendship did not end dreamflower Send a private message to dreamflower Jun 20 2013, 12:43am
            Thanks for bringing up a book I was not familiar with, I have added it to my Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Jun 20 2013, 3:19am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.