Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Love what everyone has written

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 1:41pm

Views: 122
Shortcut
Love what everyone has written [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my take.

1. How does Madril already know what Faramir has in mind?

He must have seen everything that Faramir saw. He's seen Frodo begging to be let go, and Faramir sticking to his plan to send the Ring to his father. Now he's seen the danger of the Ring, and he too must realise that sending it to Denethor could lead to disaster. So when Faramir goes over and kneels before Frodo, he must know what's coming. And he loves Faramir too much to let him throw his life away without at least warning him.

2. What has brought Faramir to this understanding? How much of the events immediately preceding this moment (the Black Rider / Frodo attacking Sam / Sam's speech) did he witness?

I agree with others - all of it. Plus also the things Sam blurted out earlier, before the Nazgul attack, about Boromir, and about the need to destroy the Ring. Faramir is finally able to put the pieces together and understand exactly what this is all about.

3. In contrast to the emotionally charged extreme close-ups of Frodo and Sam (and even, to some extent, Gollum/Smeagol) when they 'understand' what they're fighting for, what is the significance of showing Faramir in all his Gondorian armor, when he comes to his moment of understanding?

He's so alone in this moment - the fate of Gondor lies in his hands. He stands in the ruins of Gondor's great city and contemplates the possible destruction of everything he holds dear for the sake of the greater need of destroying the Ring. I guess this isn't a moment of emotion for him - the emotional response was earlier, when he thought he could save his country by capturing this "weapon". Now he's got to make a fateful decision, and his mind is clear and calm.

4. Looking at the composition of the shot, I notice that behind Faramir (his past), are soldiers, then in the center of the shot (the present), there is Faramir alone in his moment of profound realization where he's about to forfeit his life based on his decision, then to the front of Faramir (his future), there's nothing there (onscreen). In addition, back where the soldiers are, it's slightly darker, and in front, a bit lighter and misty looking. What do you think - is that arrangement by chance or was it intentional?

I love your interpretation, as well as what others have come up with. Embroidering on these ideas some more, I'm seeing Faramir the leader, contemplating the ruin of everything he holds dear (the ruins of Osgiliath in front of him), but still responsible for those men we see behind him. Are they two of the soldiers who will follow him to certain death? The weight of responsibility on Faramir's shoulders is immense.

Thanks for a great SCOD, Loresilme!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Subject User Time
SCOD: "I think at last we understand one another." Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 17 2013, 7:54pm
    Faramir makes his decision Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 18 2013, 3:28am
        Faramir died for Gondor's sins. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 18 2013, 6:58pm
            Inspiring loyalty Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 24 2013, 2:34pm
        "that could have been Boromir and me" Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 24 2013, 2:22pm
            Faramir's sadness Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 24 2013, 4:25pm
    SCOD Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jun 18 2013, 10:27pm
        "Perhaps from far away you discern the air of Numenor" Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 24 2013, 2:40pm
    Love what everyone has written FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jun 19 2013, 1:41pm
        "Are they two of the soldiers who will follow him..." Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jun 24 2013, 2:52pm
    It is a great looking moment Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Jul 10 2013, 11:25am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.