Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
I will be GMing a session of TOR rpg at Queen City Conquest in August

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 1:26am

Post #1 of 8 (97 views)
Shortcut
I will be GMing a session of TOR rpg at Queen City Conquest in August Can't Post

I signed up today to gamemaster (GM) a session of The One Ring - Adventures over the Edge of the WIld (TOR), the Middle-earth role-playing game published by Cubicle 7. The game will be part of the programming at Queen CIty Conquest, a gaming convention taking place August 30 - September 1, 2013 at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center; Convention Center Plaza; Buffalo, NY 14202. At this time I am still waiting for confirmation for the day and time of my session (I've asked for Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.). August 31 is also my birthday. I will update when I have more concrete information.

Queen City Conquest is an annual convention in its second year. The con hosts all types of gaming, including role-playing games, war games, board games, collectible card games, and more. This will be the first year that I attend.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 1:38am

Post #2 of 8 (55 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic O-S! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats! Would love to make it up, will let you know if I can! Cool

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 12:21pm

Post #3 of 8 (31 views)
Shortcut
Sunday, Sept 1, 1:00 PM [In reply to] Can't Post

My event has been approved and added to the Event List. Saturday afternoon already had a ton of events scheduled, so I changed the day of my game to Sunday, September 1. I plan on using the TOR adventure "Words of the Wise" that first appeared at GenCon 2011.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 19 2013, 12:24pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 12:29pm

Post #4 of 8 (31 views)
Shortcut
That is awesome news! [In reply to] Can't Post

NY is a bit far for me to travel, but I'm very interested in your opinion of TOR as it compares to other games (like D&D and anything else you have run / played) - if you don't mind sharing, of course!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 12:49pm

Post #5 of 8 (41 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild [In reply to] Can't Post

TOR is a much more laid-back game than the typical D&D campaign. The rules are more streamlined and avoid getting bogged down in details. The selection of cultures in the core rules for starting characters is pretty limited: Bardings (Men of Dale); Beornings; Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain; Elves of Mirkwood; Hobbits of the Shire; and Woodmen of Wilderland. New cultures are introduced in some suppliments; so far, the Lake-town Sourcebook has introduced the Men of the Lake. I am presuming that the upcoming supplement for Rivendell (release date to be announced) will include both Elves of Rivendell and Rangers of the North, but time will tell.

Character advancement is paced more slowly than in D&D and is measured in increases in skills and abilities, not experience levels. Magic is subtle and player characters are not going to be hurling high-powered spells at adversaries. The game feels much closer to Tolkien's Middle-earth than Iron Crown's old MERP rpg.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 3:14pm

Post #6 of 8 (25 views)
Shortcut
Any recording? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you record any game play I would love to see it O-S.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 20 2013, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 8 (21 views)
Shortcut
Lack of equipment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you record any game play I would love to see it O-S.

I am not planning to record the session and I don't have the equipment to do so in any case. I will likely file some sort of report, though, on how things turn out.

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 20 2013, 3:38pm

Post #8 of 8 (35 views)
Shortcut
It sounds to me like [In reply to] Can't Post

TOR would be the perfect game for a fan of Tolkien without a ton of RP experience - or a game to run at a conference where the rules are quick to pick up and a great number of players are likely to have a common understanding of the game world!

Cool stuff - thanks Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.