The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ - More Likeable in Extended?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Fàfnir
Rohan

Jun 20 2013, 5:47pm

Post #51 of 60 (233 views)
Shortcut
I'm absolutely sure we'll see more of bolg at azanulbizar [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, seeing him just one second is exactly the king of weird thing that happened in the lotr trilogy and was corrected in the EE, things that don't get explained like the death of gothmog or things like that

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 5:47pm

Post #52 of 60 (239 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

Which reaction are you referring to? The one where he asks why they don't just go through Moria? He sounds eager to visit Balin. If the audience knows that Balin most likely died because of the balrog, I think the surprise that Moria is ruined will be lost.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 6:02pm

Post #53 of 60 (227 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that because Azanulbizar was so changed to be all about a conflict between Thorin and Azog, we're not likely to get any further exploration of the other things happening at the same time. As such, I don't think the balrog is going to be mentioned or alluded to at all.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2013, 6:04pm

Post #54 of 60 (238 views)
Shortcut
That quote of Manu's is strange, to say the least... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because the video clip released by Weta Digital a few months ago clearly showed John Rawl's Yazneg being "painted over" by Azog, not Conan Steven's Bolg. Manu seems to being missing the 'Middle Man' in his recollection of events!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 6:06pm

Post #55 of 60 (227 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about both the one you mentioned and his reaction to him being dead. If you watch the stories in order all you would know I'd going to Moria could end badly. You wouldn't know that it does for sure until you get to Moria and find out Dain was right. Of course for most of us we long knew that it didn't work out.

hutch
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 1:57pm

Post #56 of 60 (198 views)
Shortcut
I hope they fix the music [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm praying they toss out the recycled music from the theatrical cuts in the EEs and use the actual music that's on the actual soundtrack (imagine that!)

Other than that I'm sure book readers will revel in having more quiet, CG-less, character moments. I'm one the fans that really loves the quieter moments. I think that where PJ really shines-esp in the Shire.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

(This post was edited by hutch on Jun 21 2013, 1:58pm)

hutch
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 2:05pm

Post #57 of 60 (232 views)
Shortcut
That scene (and their failure to acknowledge it) [In reply to] Can't Post

is why I can hardly ever watch ROTK. It's just too much for me. I see no reason why they did that. And replaced Wiki's grand entrance with...cave trolls. Seriously? *sigh*

hutch
Rohan

Jun 21 2013, 2:16pm

Post #58 of 60 (176 views)
Shortcut
it's ideas like this [In reply to] Can't Post

that make me balk at the idea that there wasn't enough material for a bridge movie. Totally was.

Passagas the Brown
The Shire

Jun 21 2013, 4:09pm

Post #59 of 60 (172 views)
Shortcut
I love the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Up to the end of Balin's retelling of Azanulbizar. And I sort of enjoy some of the troll scene, but am baffled by the decision to make their situation less dire.

However, the movie then plummets, precipitously, into almost total schlock. It doesn't recover, IMO, until the eagles arrive (and briefly during the Bilbo-Gollum dialogue).

I'm hoping that all the filler in between will be aided by the EE.

My main hope is for far more character development for Bilbo and the dwarves.

I mean, towards the end post-Goblintown Thorin accuses Bilbo of thinking about his warm bed the whole time...But we have not one scene, nor one hint, that this is the case. Bilbo never has any of the "pining for Bag End" scenes that are littered throughout the book.

That has to be one of the sloppiest aspects of AUJ. Completely incoherent and almost nonexistent character development for Bilbo and Thorin.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jun 21 2013, 9:19pm

Post #60 of 60 (182 views)
Shortcut
It's depend on the scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

and if they work in the contex of the film

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.