Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ - More Likeable in Extended?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

vexx801
Rivendell

Jun 19 2013, 12:45am

Post #1 of 60 (1745 views)
Shortcut
AUJ - More Likeable in Extended? Can't Post

Greetings, fellow Tolkien fans. I rather enjoyed AUJ as much as the next hobbit, but I also recognize where a lot of fan criticism comes from. I try my best to look past a lot of the things that folks commonly cite as being a downside - the CGI, Radagast, Azog, etc.

I loved the movie as a whole, but I suppose my point is: do you think that the Extended Edition will flesh out a lot of this more and make the film a lot more understandable and likeable for some fans? More time will be spent on this or that so that some scenes don't seem so out of place, or the film will sit better overall?

I was not a huge Tolkien fanatic as I am now when the LotR trilogy came out, so I don't have a point of reference to compare the theatrical to extended editions of that trilogy. Thoughts?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2013, 12:50am

Post #2 of 60 (896 views)
Shortcut
Likely [In reply to] Can't Post

If The Lord of the Rings extended versions are any indication, The Hobbit extended version will be quite likely very much enjoyable for all fans. Even more enjoyable.

Especially anticipated may be more Rivendell for Bilbo to fall in love with - something the theatrical release really failed at including.

Let's just hope they don't depart so far from Tolkien's The Hobbit as the scene with the Witch-king breaking Gandalf's staff in The Lord of the Rings. Do Peter & Company actually learn from past mistakes or insist on marching on with more of the same? Time will tell.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 19 2013, 12:54am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2013, 1:03am

Post #3 of 60 (847 views)
Shortcut
I really do think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I do think the film is too long for it's content (first six chapters plus expanded material), I do think the film could benefit A LOT from more character development. Fleshing out the dwarves would go along way to making the viewer more invested emotionally in the film. I'm also really looking forward to Bilbo's scene with Elrond in Rivendell. Judging by his lingering look upon leaving Rivendell, and later conversation with Bofur, I feel like we're missing an important linking piece for Bilbo's character development in the film.

I think such added material could actually make the film feel shorter (as was the case IMO with the EEs of LotR).

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 1:49am

Post #4 of 60 (765 views)
Shortcut
It really depends. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it was a mix with the LOTR films.

FOTR's EE added some stuff that would have been helpful to have seen in the theatrical cut.

Not so much with the other two, though. With those two, it seemed to be more geeky stuff for the book readers.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 3:01am

Post #5 of 60 (726 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping the EE improves AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

including more development for Bilbo and most of the Dwarves - with around an extra half-hour of material, it seems possible.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 4:53am

Post #6 of 60 (652 views)
Shortcut
I think it will [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the TE but I think the EE will flesh out more things with Bilbo as well as the Dwarves. I just think its going to add more goodness.

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Jun 19 2013, 5:47am

Post #7 of 60 (670 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the EE will make AUJ much better as a whole... I liked AUJ, but I felt there was a lack of character development. I also felt that the movie rushed from one situation into another. We didn't spend a lot of time with Bilbo in Rivendell, nor with Bilbo in the Shire. Half an hour of extra material could help the characters come to live, could promote the transitions of different situations and give more tranquility to the movie.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2013, 7:10am

Post #8 of 60 (631 views)
Shortcut
Rushed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...I also felt that the movie rushed from one situation into another.

It's a funny thing to feel rushed through a two and three-quarter hour film in a trilogy based upon a book thinner than any of those from The Lord of the Rings. How did that happen?

Looking forward to ~25 more minutes with preferably more background and less CGI.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 19 2013, 7:12am)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 9:12am

Post #9 of 60 (561 views)
Shortcut
A descenting voice [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't say for certain, as I haven't seen it, but I don't know that the extended edition will improve AUJ. The issues that some fans had with it -- CGI, Radagast, Azog, stretching the story -- will still be present. In fact, considering how long the film already is, I feel like adding more to it will simply contribute to the fan fiction feel of the new material. A lot of the scenes that are rumored to be in the EE (the Old Took's birthday, Gandalf meeting young Bilbo, Bilbo looking at Narsil) seem unnecessary to me.

I admit that I may be being unfair. But when I heard that there would be an extended edition, I actually rolled my eyes. Stretching this fairly small book to three movies is already an extended edition, as far as I'm concerned.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 9:26am

Post #10 of 60 (526 views)
Shortcut
Whoops. I mean dissenting (pardon the typo) [In reply to] Can't Post

Glum
Bree

Jun 19 2013, 1:03pm

Post #11 of 60 (476 views)
Shortcut
EE simply has to be better [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it might sound paradoxical, I think that several moments in this nearly 3 hours adaption of 6 chapters seem a bit rushed to me. There are no proper scenes of Bilbo in Hobbiton (outside Bag End), Bilbo's positive relationship to Rivendell isn't explained at all (as many have mentioned already) and I would also like to see more of Radagast exploring Dol Guldur, I just loved this subplot but it was sooooo short. But I don't suppose Radagast's role will be expanded in EE, it's just my wish ;-)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:17pm

Post #12 of 60 (473 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping so, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i have my doubts. More character development type scenes would certainly help the film. But where i felt the film was most rushed and bloated-- everything after the company leaves Rivendell, minus Riddles in the Dark-- is not where it seems that the new extra material (young Bilbo with Gandalf, the market in Hobbiton, Bilbo and the dwarves in Rivendell, Bilbo with Elrond) is going. All those scenes sound great-- the more Bilbo the better (it is The Hobbit, after all), and more stuff with the dwarves can't hurt either. I'm just hoping that there are new scenes going into the latter part of the movie that we just haven't heard about yet, that can give the more amusement park ride-like sequences (some of my least favorite parts of the movie) a little room to breath. And please, no more Azog.

Glum
Bree

Jun 19 2013, 1:28pm

Post #13 of 60 (450 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

There should be more of Goblin King and his scribe, it's been confirmed by PJ or someone from his team, I think. Many people have also speculated that there must be a speech concerning the eagles, that would be superb, I also have a feeling that Gollum's role might be expanded - as far as I can remember, not all the riddles from the book made it to the theatrical version :).

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:39pm

Post #14 of 60 (469 views)
Shortcut
Quite , so [In reply to] Can't Post

what is it that AUJ needs?

-More Bilbo especially.

-More Dwarf development.

-More Rivendell : elves, dwarves...

What else? More action? Certainly not.

More Azog? Please no...

More Radagast? Crazy

There really isnt much else that it needs added in, is there?

Actually, what i think it requires is cutting stuff out. But thats unlikely to happen...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:41pm

Post #15 of 60 (438 views)
Shortcut
All that sounds good, [In reply to] Can't Post

, especially concerning the eagles. But do we really need more of the scribe? I was thinking more along the lines of more dwarf character beats, maybe even small bits of action from individual dwarfs, to give the hodge-podge mess of a battle (Goblin Town) a little more shape and focus. And i'm not talking more digital doubles-- AUJ already has way too much of that sort of thing.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 1:44pm

Post #16 of 60 (465 views)
Shortcut
In addition to what others have mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping for more Azanulbizar. Azog carving his name into Thror's head, more Thrain, and I'd love some wide shots of the fighting resembling the artwork in the Chronicles book. Obviously a glimpse of the Balrog here seems too much to ask.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:46pm

Post #17 of 60 (453 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, is it too late to cut stuff out? [In reply to] Can't Post

The bunny sled chase... The company interacting with the stone giants... Tumbling down the Goonies slide... The falling bridge... Azog...

The film would be improved ten-fold.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 1:53pm

Post #18 of 60 (447 views)
Shortcut
I didn't even recognize you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh I like your new avatar! lol

I agree, though. The thing that AUJ needs most is more character development and quiet character scenes.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 1:56pm

Post #19 of 60 (440 views)
Shortcut
It may not be [In reply to] Can't Post

that late. There is always hope.Angelic

Without Azog, the film is certainly improved. As if a shadow has been lifted or an annoying fly has been sent way out the window.
Wink

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 2:00pm

Post #20 of 60 (431 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you too [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, i changed my make up, im glad you liked it, i am very fond of it myself.

It is a symbol of my hope that Radagast will summon an avalanche of Rrrrrrrrosgabel Rrrrrabbits against the Nazgul or The undead orcs of Dol Guldur. Laugh

Hopefully, that will scare the poop out of the necromancer Tongue

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 19 2013, 2:02pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 2:07pm

Post #21 of 60 (455 views)
Shortcut
I guess they will explain Bilbo's initial reaction to Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe in the moment when we see him as a child we'll hear Rivendell mentioned. Young Bilbo might express a wish to visit there.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 2:23pm

Post #22 of 60 (433 views)
Shortcut
The longer I can stay in Middle Earth the Better [In reply to] Can't Post

so I think that the EE will add to the film. I've said this before but will repeat it. The ability of film makers to revisit the cuts they made for TE's can be a problem. I hope not, but in some instances it looks like "Well, I'll cut this now and add it back in the EE." It's not the EE's are making film makers sloppy. It's just that there is room to "fix things" now that didn't exist before and that has to influence film editing.

I hope to see more of Rivendell, Hobbiton and Anzanulbizar. Perhaps we will get an inkling of what started Bilbo's dislike of the S-B's.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 2:28pm

Post #23 of 60 (419 views)
Shortcut
Rrrrrrosgobel rabbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I can actually see that happening Unimpressed

Those pesky rabbits are sure to keep popping up, aren't they?

Truthfully, though, I liked the bunny sled and hope to see it again.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2013, 2:41pm

Post #24 of 60 (426 views)
Shortcut
Seconded... [In reply to] Can't Post

More tranquillity is certainly needed!. Like others have said, if only we could cut some of the unnecessary "epic action" bits and add in more reflective, character development moments for Bilbo and the Dwarves, (particularly between Elrond and Bilbo in Rivendell) like we got with Bofur in the Goblin cave, AUJ would be improved in my eyes.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 19 2013, 2:57pm

Post #25 of 60 (411 views)
Shortcut
Thirded [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we will get more reflective, character development moments for Bilbo and the Dwarves, (particularly between Elrond and Bilbo in Rivendell), but I doubt that any of the unnecessary "epic action" bits will get cut.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.