Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How were you introduced to Tolkien and his writings/the LOTR franchise?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How were you introduced to Tolkien and his writings/the LOTR franchise?
Through Reading The Hobbit
Through Reading LOTR
Through reading The Silmarillion (that was brave)
Reading some of his other writing
School/College Project
Recomendation from friend/family
Through TORn
Watching PJ's LOTR Trilogy
I was introduced as a child/teenager
I was introduced as a Adult
I was introduced by my Parents
Watching The Hobbit: AUJ
Ralph Bakski's '78 LOTR Film
One of the Middle Earth Video Games
Through reading simialr books
The Rankin-Bass TV movies of The Hobbit and ROTK
Other adaption of Tolkien's work
I honestly can't remember
Other Reason
View Results (169 votes)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jun 16 2013, 11:45pm

Post #26 of 43 (182 views)
Shortcut
It seemed like everyone I knew had seen the movies and loved them all. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I finally went to the store, bought the LOTR trilogy and like that I was hooked. I immediately saw the movies, delved into the history of M-E, I read the Silmarillion when I was 15 and I absolutely loved it(and I understood it quite wellWink). Not too long afterwards I discovered TORn, thus here I am. Smile

I've been incredibly nerdy ever since I read Fellowship of the Ring, and I'm only getting nerdier!Smile

(This post was edited by Cuwen Maegmacil on Jun 16 2013, 11:47pm)

imin
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 11:59pm

Post #27 of 43 (192 views)
Shortcut
First read the hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

First read the hobbit aged 7 years old in 1995, this was recommended to me by my mother. I read it and in parts she read it when i got tired of reading. I then read it again and again by myself for a few years - i loved the maps and the adventure Bilbo went on, to me it seemed like a serious book for grown ups and i thought Bilbo was in real danger lots of times which i think is quite a bit different to how i might have viewed the book if i were older on my first read.

I then went onto LOTR in 2000 and it took me a year to read it as i took ages to read at that time and i think i got stuck on Council of Elrond and almost gave up (now love it!) Once i had finished it i had changed my mind from thinking the hobbit is the best book ever to the LOTR and started reading it again straight away - i then heard about the film (this was around Sept 2001) and decided to read FOTR again before the films release. This time it didn't take me anywhere near as long and i ended up reading it all before FOTR was released and i was basically massively obsessed so i feel FOTR couldn't have come at a better time (13 year old geek, lol).

Then tried to read the Silmarillion but got kinda freaked out by no hobbits or gandalf and the million names of the Valar that kept popping up. Then tried another book - book of lost tales 2 - even harder read so was a bit dismayed and so decided to reread LOTR again, then gave The Sil another go and loved it, then went on to read parts of HoME, COH, Unfinished Tales, Letters etc. Still got some HoME editions to read completely (the LOTR ones) but in no rush.

Been 18 years or 72% of my life i have been a massive Tolkien fan and in a way had a massive influence on my life - the LOTR movies have added to that in a great way offering different visuals to ones i had imagined and i hope DOS and TABA will do the same and i can go on being a Tolkien enthusiast/geek and being gently teased by my family for many more years to come!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 1:18pm

Post #28 of 43 (166 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit, as a young girl [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was in first grade, my mother pointed"The Hobbit" out to me at the local library as a book that I would enjoy reading when I was older. Being a contrary sort, I promptly checked it out, and read it. I loved it, but held off finishing LotR until I was in third grade, as I did find Tolkien a tough read at that age. Throughout my childhood and early adult years I used to reread these books at least once per year. Heart

Among the other options, after reading the books, I did see the Hobbit animated film, as well as the Bakshi LotR and the Rankin/Bass RotK. And was happy to see them all as a movie of Middle Earth was to me, obviously something to love, even if the technology to bring it fully to the screen was not quite there!

And I was blown away by Jackson's FotR, as I had never believed I would see such an amazing realization of my favorite fictional world.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 17 2013, 2:42pm

Post #29 of 43 (194 views)
Shortcut
Coverless remnants a dime each. [In reply to] Can't Post

How could one resist such a bargain?

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 3:00pm

Post #30 of 43 (158 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

fantasy is about looking back, in a way, and sci-fi looks forward? I loved Dune because it imagined a future for humans that seemed entirely believable to me, number one, and also because of the idea that people finally woke up to the fact that the human mind, if properly trained, would be far more powerful than any computer. The story is full of people who have managed to harness all kinds of abilities - Jessica teaches Paul how to control each separate muscle in his body, for instance - and who have also managed to becoming adept at what we now call extra-sensory powers (Paul has visions, the Truthsayers can just about read minds, and the Guild pilots have taken telekinesis to the limit). I also like that his future humans seem finally to have realized - unlike most of our politicians today - that what we do in the now will have consequences. Although there's still war and violence, there's a code of behavior (no atomic weapons) that people have agreed to because they're not just thinking in terms of themselves right now. In fact, a lot of the political shenanigans take centuries to play out. At the same time, people fight their own battles, mostly (again, a consequence of getting rid of machines).

Also, like Tolkien, Herbert created not just a world but an entire universe with its own extensive history and different cultures - but all based, ultimately, on Earth's cultures. The Atreides are Greek (Atreus was the father of Agamemnon), the Harkonnens follow Roman customs with their bread-and-circuses approach to rule, and the Fremen evoke nomadic Arabs.

I also like that women are as powerful as men for the most part.

Finally, I liked the characters!

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 17 2013, 3:20pm

Post #31 of 43 (152 views)
Shortcut
I liked Dune a lot too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read a few of the successive novels but liked each one less and less.

And did not like the Dune movie at all. Oi. For a couple of reasons that was a bad experience.

Annael, I read a story at io9 yesterday that made me think of you, for some reason. Here's the link:
(the rest of you all can check it out, too, if you like!)

http://io9.com/...h-my-grief-513630328
How science fiction helped me through my grief

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 6:02pm

Post #32 of 43 (142 views)
Shortcut
Add me to the Dune fan list [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I read a few of the successive novels but liked each one less and less.

And did not like the Dune movie at all. Oi. For a couple of reasons that was a bad experience.

After JRRT my favorite universe and one I could see living in, particularly with the Fremen. Movies have been mostly a sad disappointment (except for that bit with Sting in the loincloth) and failed to capture either the spirit or the philosophy that drives the tale. The first book lives in a bit of a vacuum for me too, not wild about the successors read once is all. But Dune is a reread every few years.

Not an acting issue - I did enjoy Brad Dourif's Mentat in the first film, and I thought Paul and Jessica were good...just lost too much in the telling!

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 6:09pm

Post #33 of 43 (150 views)
Shortcut
Also liked Dune [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it for the reasons you gave and also for the detailed environmental / planetary science stuff that I found to be amazing. I have revisited it numerous times.

The movie seemed fine to me, but I didn't read any of the follow-up books since I heard that they take a more dark and twisted turn (a thing I just don't seek out in general). With so many books to choose from, I'd rather try something that sounds like something I'd like or re-read and oldie but goodie that I've read a few times over.

Sam20
Lorien

Jun 17 2013, 8:03pm

Post #34 of 43 (136 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

I was introduced to the films by friends at school when I was a pre-teenager. I liked them much and we were making games about it at school.

Later on I shifted to other interests and only seriously came back to it as an adult when I learned English. I decided to buy all the books Middle-Earth related and read them all.
I was amazed by how rich and deep these tales are. The style of writting is great and never came across something that profound before. As good as the films are, they did not struck me the same way.

So I decided to join TORn and discuss my interest with people around the world.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jun 17 2013, 8:06pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 8:19pm

Post #35 of 43 (131 views)
Shortcut
Through PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

So he has my undying gratitude for that, even though I don't really share all of his cinematic ideas and tastes.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 17 2013, 9:00pm

Post #36 of 43 (124 views)
Shortcut
My experience was similar [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the Rankin-Bass version of The Hobbit on TV as a child, and loved it. However, I wasn't aware of Tolkien's works; I simply thought it was a great TV movie. I only saw it once, but I always remembered it. (Especially Gollum and hte Mirkwood Spiders.)
When I was in middle school I stumbled upon Tolkien again. I was deciding what book to read for a class assignment, when a friend suggested The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. He said they were great, and were four books, (we had to read a novel a month,) so it would cover me for a while. When I got to Gullum and the Mirkwood spiders parts of the tale, I realised that I was reading the same story as the cartoon movie that I had loved so much. That is really when my world opened up to Tolkien. I'm pretty sure that I read through The Hobbit and all three books in The Lord of The Rings in a week (quite the feat for middle-school me).

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 7:54pm

Post #37 of 43 (107 views)
Shortcut
Back in 1969 [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a pen-pal who suggested that I might enjoy "The Hobbit". She was right! I went on to read LotR soon afterward. But since TTT was checked out of the junior high library, I went from FotR to RotK, and then read TTT third. It was kind of confusing, but I pieced it together, and read them in the correct order soon afterward.

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 11:54pm

Post #38 of 43 (150 views)
Shortcut
On my vacation in Branson Missouri [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was eighteen last year, I picked up a paperback copy of The Lord of the Rings. I immediatley got hooked and now I own it in hardcover along with both the theatrical and extended editors of the films :)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Jun 20 2013, 4:23pm

Post #39 of 43 (97 views)
Shortcut
Saw the movie of FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Then had to read the books. I was 14 and still leery of bigger books and this was my first step into that world.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jun 21 2013, 5:23am

Post #40 of 43 (78 views)
Shortcut
Rankin/Bass Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

My first exposure to Tolkien was the Rankin/Bass Hobbit cartoon, rented from a video store when I was very young. I can't remember if it was the first fantasy I was exposed to or just the first that had a major impact on me. Regardless, I loved it and it was a huge influence on me. Because of that movie, fantasy is my favorite genre, both in terms of reading and my own writing. I saw the Rankin/Bass Return of the King soon after so I knew how the story ended. But I had missed the middle!

I finally read The Hobbit in junior high and The Lord of the Rings in high school. I haven't looked back since. I'm now in my 30s and have read a decent amount of Tolkien's other works (Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, Book of Lost Tales, Roverandom, etc.).

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jun 21 2013, 5:49am

Post #41 of 43 (81 views)
Shortcut
I started [In reply to] Can't Post

With the hobbit. I was about 5 my Mom bought a copy for my older sister. I can remember being absolutely fascinated by the cover, which was a picture of Bilbo smoking his pipe in front of bag-end. I was stunned; I had to read it. The only problem was, I hadn't learnt to read yet.

My Mom says TH was what motivated me to learn to read, and it has certainly always been a very special story for this reason. ( when Mom says this, my sister shakes her head and mutters, "typical" Laugh )

I read LotR after a trip to New Zealand; ( about two years ago) everyone was crazy about it there...
Then it was the movies. Then extended. AUJ. TORn. Sil.

BTW, I still don't know what was so amazing about that cover art. Crazy
It isn't that wonderful, when I look at it now.

mawguy
The Shire

Jun 27 2013, 10:43pm

Post #42 of 43 (43 views)
Shortcut
HS english class project [In reply to] Can't Post

... for our ISU (independent study unit), the teacher gave us the choice between The Hobbit and another book (can't remember). i did a pop-up book of TH.

then, one day while browsing the bookstore, i stumbled across the LOTR boxset (the beautiful John Howe covers; and i'm still mad at the "friend" who "borrowed" them and never gave them back!). i was so engrossed by the trilogy that i still remember, vividly, the weekday, at 5 am, when Gandalf fell in moria. the closest to a heart attack i've had.

there was a break while schoolwork got in the way. then, the movies came out. i was appalled at the idea, but i decided to see what the fuss was about. loved the scenery, the costumes, the music. re-read LOTR after movie 1. saw the other two movies, of course. really enjoyed some things, abhorred others.

nowadays, i alternate between watching the bonus features of my EE dvds and re-reading my favourite passages of LOTR. also recently re-read Hobbit and Silmarillion (though i can't quite remember when i first read this book... or Unfinished Tales).

in a nutshell. :)

ryouko
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 12:54am

Post #43 of 43 (55 views)
Shortcut
In all honesty [In reply to] Can't Post

the PJ movies.

I had seen the Hobbit cartoon when I was a kid, but wasn't really interested in it. I was more drawn to Watership Down. It wasn't till I heard that the movies were coming out, that I got LoTR and read it. Then I read the Hobbit.

And, again, in all honesty, I only like RoTK. I reread them recently, and enjoyed them more the second time around.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.