Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What would you wish for AUJ SEE?

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 4:38pm

Post #1 of 20 (959 views)
Shortcut
What would you wish for AUJ SEE? Can't Post

What I personally would wish:

- A digipak boxset which would be of the same design and size as the LOTR SEE DVD boxes which were extremely cool (the LotR SEE BluRay is no comparison). As the boxset is supposed to include the DVDs as well, they could just stick with the design, like below.

- Same style of menus. After a rather disappointing AUJ theatrical version menu it would be great if the good LOTR SEE menus would return. They really nailed the style.

- Just like on LOTR SEE: on Disc 2, no studio logos or animated menus, just a black screen with the option to continue the film.

- Similar set of bonus features: "From Book to Script", etc. etc. (alas, no "Bigatures"... Frown )

- An introduction with PJ wearing glasses Laugh

Here, I specifically omitted any content of the SEE itself, talking just about the look of the box. But that does not mean you have to. So what would you love to see in an AUJ SEE release?

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jun 18 2013, 4:40pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jun 18 2013, 5:06pm

Post #2 of 20 (514 views)
Shortcut
brokeback misty mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

starring Azog & Thorin

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 20 (491 views)
Shortcut
I would like [In reply to] Can't Post

1. A paper insert of some sort (or a booklet) listing the contents of the DVD. Unlike the LOTR cinema edition DVDs, the one for AUJ had absolutely nothing inside apart from the DVD, and since I bought the steelbook there was no writing on the inside giving a clue as to the contents.

2. I love the fold-out design of the LOTR EE box, and the interior design with the sketches.

3. On my LOTR EEs, the edges of the outside of the box are now showing signs of wear, with bits peeling away quite a bit on corners ľ and I'm not exactly hard on my DVDs. The exterior at least ought to be stronger than it was for the LOTR DVDs.

4. The box should be a different colour from the signature green, red and blue of LOTR. It would be good if The Hobbit were to be given its own identity in this respect ľ something simple, not gaudy.

SkaldOfTheNorse
Bree

Jun 18 2013, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 20 (479 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit confused in the naming of the boxed DVD sets for The Hobbit AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I was waiting for the one DVD set of AUJ with the most extra material that (if you compare it with the Lotr sets) also included a miniature gollem or minas tirith (merchandise).

Wasn't that called LOTR (e.g. Fellowship of the Ring) Special Extended Edition or something.

So will this Hobbit AUJ SEE be the same and also include a miniature or some other collectible merchandise?

If not what will that (final) edition be called and how long till it will be available after AUJ SEE?

Skald

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 20 (497 views)
Shortcut
My "wish" and what I'm realistically expecting are two different things... [In reply to] Can't Post

All start with the wishes:

1. More Bilbo in Rivendell!!!
2. MORE BILBO IN RIVENDELL!!!
3. No extra dwarvish comedy antics
4. The pacing issue of AUJ fixed, and an actual meeting between at least Gandalf and the Eagles.
5. The same overall style packaging as LOTR SEE
6. Azog will be replaced by a Barney stand in, his band of orcs will change to school children. It would fix everything Sly

Now, the expectations (in no particular order):

1. More Bilbo in Rivendell (this is 99.9% a given, so that does make me happy)
2. Longer, drawn out action scenes (perhaps even a longer rabbit sled chase)
3. More bad dwarf comdedy
4. Pacing even more bogged down than the TE
5. A similar style packaging to LOTR. I don't think they are going to keep the menus congruent with LOTR though.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 20 (465 views)
Shortcut
Size [In reply to] Can't Post

The Blu-ray versions will almost certainly not be DVD-sized. I think this would cause a lot of uproar among Blu-ray collectors and is probably ill-advised.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 5:28pm

Post #7 of 20 (471 views)
Shortcut
Bomby would like to remind you All? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Boxed sets of the LOTR EE
WON some Industry award for Packaging
long ago...
Agreed... that they need to be exactly as
Wonderful as our Prized sets.

So What Colors? might go with these...

Bomby

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 20 (443 views)
Shortcut
did you notice... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the AUJ trailer, in the beginning, there was red/golden smoke, and in the DOS trailer, at the beginning, there was a bluish smoke? Interesting...

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 6:08pm

Post #9 of 20 (417 views)
Shortcut
I forgot... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope there's a Collector's Gift Set which includes two Erebor Statues bookends, very much like the Argonath statues in the FOTR set.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 6:14pm

Post #10 of 20 (428 views)
Shortcut
I want it in the style of... [In reply to] Can't Post

The recently released LOTR EE Blu-rays (not the box set, but separate releases). I want it to match those, so just a fatter Blu-ray case with 5 discs or so would be good enough for me. Oh, and an epic cover!

But yeah, I also want in-depth bonus features like the appendices of LOTR, with the Book-To-Script, Forging Weapons, etc.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 9:56pm

Post #11 of 20 (331 views)
Shortcut
It's the one franchise... [In reply to] Can't Post

That I don't mind spending money on for special gift editions. I'll be very interested to see what they do with the coloring and the inserts and material.

These are a must have for the shelf.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 9:27am

Post #12 of 20 (230 views)
Shortcut
That's the funniest thing I've read all week! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be so disturbing. Laugh

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale!?"

╩leniel Tindome
Bree

Jun 19 2013, 11:56am

Post #13 of 20 (207 views)
Shortcut
exactly: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
All start with the wishes:

1. More Bilbo in Rivendell!!!
2. MORE BILBO IN RIVENDELL!!!
3. No extra dwarvish comedy antics
4. The pacing issue of AUJ fixed, and an actual meeting between at least Gandalf and the Eagles.
5. The same overall style packaging as LOTR SEE
6. Azog will be replaced by a Barney stand in, his band of orcs will change to school children. It would fix everything Sly

Now, the expectations (in no particular order):

1. More Bilbo in Rivendell (this is 99.9% a given, so that does make me happy)
2. Longer, drawn out action scenes (perhaps even a longer rabbit sled chase)
3. More bad dwarf comdedy
4. Pacing even more bogged down than the TE
5. A similar style packaging to LOTR. I don't think they are going to keep the menus congruent with LOTR though.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 4:44pm

Post #14 of 20 (183 views)
Shortcut
it would also bring about a whole new meaning to Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

"the defiler"!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

SkaldOfTheNorse
Bree

Jun 19 2013, 4:53pm

Post #15 of 20 (181 views)
Shortcut
And the colors of the special EE DVD boxes are..... [In reply to] Can't Post

My best guess to what the colors of thps boxes like the Special EE Lotr DVD sets might turn out to be:

1) AUJ light brown color exactly like the color used for the AUJ soundtrack CD ( http://images.fandango.com/...ECIALSdtkCover90.jpg )

2) TDOS. Not sure yet but I suspect a darker color so I would go for Dark Grey (not black)

3) TABA If you look at the total spectrum this would be a light color so perhaps even "white" (or perhaps that is to daring?).

Skald

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 7:06pm

Post #16 of 20 (151 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking your brown, and grey suggestions, and looking ahead to the central theme of greed and the dragon-sickness in TABA, I would suggest a more metallic finish:

how about AUJ: bronze, (or copper)
TDoS: silver (or pewter )
TABA: gold

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
» Victoria Monfort

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 20 2013, 8:18am

Post #17 of 20 (126 views)
Shortcut
Box colors [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My best guess to what the colors of thps boxes like the Special EE Lotr DVD sets might turn out to be:

1) AUJ light brown color exactly like the color used for the AUJ soundtrack CD ( http://images.fandango.com/...ECIALSdtkCover90.jpg )

2) TDOS. Not sure yet but I suspect a darker color so I would go for Dark Grey (not black)

3) TABA If you look at the total spectrum this would be a light color so perhaps even "white" (or perhaps that is to daring?).

Skald

If you take a look at the first trailer background color at the studio logos, AUJ has brown as well, while DOS seems to be rather blue-ish. That could be some interesting clue, although it'd have to be a different blue to differ from ROTK SEE.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 20 2013, 8:20am

Post #18 of 20 (116 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Blu-ray versions will almost certainly not be DVD-sized. I think this would cause a lot of uproar among Blu-ray collectors and is probably ill-advised.

Given that the SEE looks like it'll be a BluRay/DVD combo, it might as well be DVD-sized.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 20 2013, 11:28am

Post #19 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
I think that would be a great idea, especially on a steelbook! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was ever so disappointed in the interior of the AUJ steelbook, which looked cheap, with no images on the DVDs, and with the two DVDs awkwardly inserted and no paper insert or leaflet of any sort telling you what the contents were. However, the exterior, with Gandalf's image on the back, is smart.

If metallics in the colours you suggest could be incorporated on a steelbook, that would be great.

I'm not particularly interested in any figures, etc., since I have problems with space, but I do hope the design of future DVDs in this film sequence will improve. It would be good if they used the same designer/s as they did for the LOTR trilogy, and spent some money on achieving a good and appropriate design. The design styling for most of the DVDs on The Hobbit so far looks as though it was thrown together as cheaply and as quickly as possible.

In Reply To
Taking your brown, and grey suggestions, and looking ahead to the central theme of greed and the dragon-sickness in TABA, I would suggest a more metallic finish:

how about AUJ: bronze, (or copper)
TDoS: silver (or pewter )
TABA: gold

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2013, 10:22pm

Post #20 of 20 (99 views)
Shortcut
Hours upon hours of bonus material ala LOTR EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so tired of movies these days having a 1 hour making-of and nothing more. I want to know everything! From VFX work to how they made eyebrows for the dwarves Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.