Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Top five favourite scenes/moments/sequences in AUJ and top five least favourite...and why. No particular order!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 10:15am

Post #1 of 29 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Top five favourite scenes/moments/sequences in AUJ and top five least favourite...and why. No particular order! Can't Post

Favourite:

1. Bilbo reacting to the doorbell ringing with An Unexpected Party playing in the background. Love the feel of this scene and the intrusion into Bilbo's comfort.

2. Eagle flight. Feels heavenly and looks beautiful.

3. Riddles in the Dark. Speaks for itself.

4. The Company walking through the rain before the Radagast scene. Lovely sense of adventure and British walking holidays.

5. Trolls. Love the animation on the trolls and their mannerisms.

Least Favourite:

1. Old Bilbo talking to Frodo. Scene feels awkwardly directed and acted.

2. Purging Sebastian. The way the spiders crawl up Radagast's house felt so fake and mechanical. When he sees them crawling back into the forest they look incredibly fake.

3. Irritatingly obvious musical cues. Such as "Oh but it is witchcraft" or "An...adventure?". Fine lines but the way they put the music with them felt obvious and tacky.

4. Some moments in the Goblin town chase like the bridge falling and the rolling boulder. Felt like a computer game and create a lack of weight for any one the characters. I didn't mind the majority of the chase though!

5. Occasionally obvious use of CGI. Such as Azog and the Wargs in certain scenes. The Goblins also lacked weight in their scenes which I feel is because of the CGI. It can kind of pull you out of your immersion.

What are you guys thoughts?

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 10:46am

Post #2 of 29 (633 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but here it goes:

Favorites

1. The dwarves singing the far over the misty mountains song while Bilbo sits alone in his bed.

2. The morning after scene, the quiet atmosphere and the slow realisation that "this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the wonders of the world, and I let it go...".

3. Bilbo running out the door to catch the adventure (these three scenes work brilliantly together. Absolutely masterful storytelling in my opinion).

4. Riddles in the Dark and Bilbo's pity scene. (Gollum is even better than he was in LotR, and the pity scene really brought home that this is the defining moment in all of the movies, perhapse in the whole history of Middle-earth, the one act of pity that ended up saving everything and everyone. A very moving scene, played to perfection by both actors)

5. The eagles. (So beautiful... And in HFR 3D, the moment when the eagles fly over the mountain cliff just before reaching the carrock, I felt like I could fall from my seat and into the movie screen)

Least favorites:

1. Frodo's cameo. (This is really the only thing that I have some issues with the movie. The opening would have flowed so much more nicely if it would go straight from the Erebor prologue to young Bilbo and the good morning scene. But even so, it does not bother me that much. I have similar issues with the opening(s) of the Fellowship of the ring EE.)

I can't really pick any other least favorites, 'cause it would sound like I hate those scenes, and I don't. I really love, or at least enjoy, pretty much everything in AUJ. Even the Frodo cameo is not terrible, I just could do without it. And maybe the cgi / green screen in the bunny sled chase looks a little wonky. But the bunny sled itself is awesome!Smile

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jun 18 2013, 10:51am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 10:57am

Post #3 of 29 (605 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose, but: [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourites:

1. Whole of Erebor sequence

2. Misty Mountains song

3. Battle of Az...

4. The Eagles

5. Bilbo and Thorin at the end

Least favourite:

I can't think of many that fall into this category:

1. Frodo/Bilbo (unnecessary in my view)

2. PJ's classical 'gross' moments (burping, etc.,) and Radagast's facial decoration)

Apart from that I really liked everything, to varying degrees.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 12:25pm

Post #4 of 29 (534 views)
Shortcut
Here are mine [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourites:

1. Erebor prologue. Well if I have to pick one moment from it: The moment when the dwarf smith fashions a piece of hot metal between two giant hammers. When I saw it for the first time, I thought to myself: "That is the shizzle. THAT is the dwarves at their prime".

2. Dwalin and Balin's headbutt. Brotherly love. A great moment that portray their affection to eachother (giving further meaning later on to their gesture in the Azanulbizar aftermath). Thorin and Balin's conversation(Loyalty, honor, a willing heart...) Well actually the whole Bagend scene including "Misty Mountains cold". It's is so perfect. Better than I ever imagined.

3. Riddles in the dark. It's almost perfect. Gollum/Smeagol has never been better.

4. The pitty of Bilbo.

5. "I have never been so wrong in all my life". So sweet.

Least favourite:

1. Radagast and Sebastian........ I don't like Radagast. They ruined him by making him a joke. I like his serious parts but birdcrap, smoke out of the ears and stick insect is just not fitting for an Istari. And the bunnysled is stupid and wouldn't work in a forrest.

2. Warg chase scene. Not necessary in my opinion. And Radagast is horrible here aswell.

3. "Lay down your arms or we will rip his off". So they "save", Bilbo who non of them respect or actually find useful, and then they just let the trolls cook them.. where is the logic in that?

4. "That'll do it." Really.. Did the goblin king really have to say that.

5. Kili deflecting arrows.. Unimpressed

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Noria
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 12:43pm

Post #5 of 29 (524 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to choose just five favourites but harder to find five things I don't like. [In reply to] Can't Post

A few of my many favourite things:

1) All of the beginning sequences (except for Frodo), including old Bilbo, Erebor and Dale, the unexpected party, Blunt the Knives and the Misty Mountain song, Bilbo on the morning after and then running through the Shire. Not that I don’t really like the rest, but I LOVE all those parts.

2) Gandalf's appearance in the Goblin caves (and Ian McKellen in general of course)

3) Balin: a great performance by Ken Stott

4) Riddles in the Dark and the Pity of Bilbo

5) The Eagles: sheer beauty

Things I don’t really like, though none of them detract from my love and enjoyment of the movie:

1) Frodo: like others, I didn't really mind him but to my mind he was unnecessary. But I suspect that the writers were concerned that casual fans wouldn't get who this story is about and when it occurs.

2) The burping, the guano etc., the usual PJ stuff. Kids seem to love it.

3) Thorin’s speech to Bilbo on the Carrock – too contrived for me.

4) Azog: I didn't really mind him but the whole subplot feels a bit artificial, though I think it would have worked better for me if he had died at the end of AUJ, like Lurtz in FotR.

Joe20
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 1:04pm

Post #6 of 29 (480 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorites:

1. Riddles In The Dark
2. Prolouge
3. Gandalf's "Take Up Arms, fight... FIGHT"
4. "There's far too many Dwarves in my dining room as it is. If this is some blunt-head's idea of a joke, I can only say it is in very poor taste"
5. Gandalf and Galadriel "Small things" speech.

Least Favorite.

1. Over the top fighting and unrealistic physics as a whole. Just compare the action in this to the fight at Amon Hen in FOTR for example. I don't know how anyone could think they were from the same world or director.
2. Radagast Radagast Radagast.
3. Green Screened to the max Azanulbizar
4. Some of the Dwarves designs (Bombur and Bifur mainly)
5. Over reliance on CG.

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Jun 18 2013, 1:06pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 2:01pm

Post #7 of 29 (463 views)
Shortcut
Impossible to restrict the favourites to a top five.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but here are five of my favourites:

1. 'Good morning'
2. 'Far over the misty mountains' at Bag End
3. Rivendell
4. Riddles in the dark and Bilbo's pity
5. The eagles

.. and least favourites
1. Stick insect
2. 'having a reaction'
3. 'green food'
4. The end credits

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 2:18pm

Post #8 of 29 (453 views)
Shortcut
My list... [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourite:

1. 'Good morning' sequence - set the tone beautifully
2. Dwarves singing at Bag End - both numbers
3. Seeing Rivendell again - I just love the Elven design aesthetic and beauty of the setting it is built into.
4. "You don't have a home..." marvellously nuanced acting from Freeman and Nesbit
5. The Eagles' flight

Least favourite:

1. Old Bilbo/Frodo sequence - too "forced"
2. "Parasites" dialogue
3. Azog being shoehorned into the plot and turning up like a bad penny!
4. overuse of CGI doubles in the hectic action sequences, which, (as the OP described it) made it feel "like a computer game and created a lack of weight" for the characters.
5. Stone Giants - unnecessarily "EPIC" and OTT

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jun 18 2013, 2:19pm)

Nira
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 3:37pm

Post #9 of 29 (425 views)
Shortcut
I just realized it would have been nice to see just part of one of Bilbo's many dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourite:

1. Nesbitt, Freeman, and Armitage impressed me. Freeman & McKellen had great chemistry on screen.

2. Dwarves singing.

3. Riddles in the Dark. Best scene without question.

4. Use of 3D was well done, props for having the gumption to do 48fps, and good of them to release so many alternative viewing options

5. Use of the book-- for lines, chapter title mentions (ie out of the frying pan into the fire), random mentions (ie blue wizards), etc.

Least Favourite (I 100% agree with you, so I must quote you here):

1. Old Bilbo talking to Frodo. Scene feels awkwardly directed and acted.
Yes...cute idea, but everything about the execution was bad. It was painful (yet enjoyable due to cuteness) to watch. And no, 31 year old Elijah/Frodo does not look like 19 year old Elijah/Frodo!

2. I was very disappointed with the "out of the frying pan into the fire" scene. I understand why they did wrote it like that since they were going with the bad Azog story, but it was too forced and off canon. (I may be repeating myself on this with #5)

3. Irritatingly obvious musical cues. Such as "Oh but it is witchcraft" or "An...adventure?". Fine lines but the way they put the music with them felt obvious and tacky.

4. Some moments in the Goblin town chase like the bridge falling and the rolling boulder. Felt like a computer game and create a lack of weight for any one the characters. I didn't mind the majority of the chase though!

5. Occasionally obvious use of CGI. Such as Azog and the Wargs in certain scenes. The Goblins also lacked weight in their scenes which I feel is because of the CGI. It can kind of pull you out of your immersion.
Pretty much everything relating to Azog or changes made in the story for Azog was awful. I get why they decided to do it that way, but it didn't work at all. If it works in the next 2 movies, great, but it was bad in this one.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jun 18 2013, 3:41pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 4:39pm

Post #10 of 29 (393 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo/Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely the worst scene in the film, IMO. There are just so many problems with it...

Pointless Frodo cameo
Bad de-aging effect
Severely impedes forward momentum of the story
Doesn't mesh well with FOTR's beginning

Other things I don't like about the movie...

1. Cliche Thorin anger turning into a hug. I know people have said that Thorin is berating himself, but I've seen the film twice now, and I never saw that either time. He's still yelling at Bilbo and then suddenly he's apologizing and hugging. No. Just doesn't work for me at all.

2. The picture quality/CGI. I had to watch it on DVD on my laptop to get a picture quality that actually was pleasing to me. "Downgrading" the quality made it look so much better, but I shouldn't have to do that.

3. Gollum's overdone split personalities. Something more subtle would have been my preference.

4. Ridiculous action sequences that totally took me out of the movie due to craziness.

Things I liked about the movie...

1. Everything (minus the Frodo scene) from the beginning of the film to the company leaving the Shire. Brilliant.

2. Bilbo's "You don't have a home" speech.

3. Ken Stott's Balin.

4. Gandalf/Galadriel scene.

5. Gandalf showing up in Goblin town.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 4:46pm

Post #11 of 29 (408 views)
Shortcut
My top and bottom five [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourites:
1. The introduction of Erebor and Bilbo's narration.

2. Balin's narration of Azanulbizar. Ken Stott is amazing as Balin, I can't wait to see more of that character. Stott nailed his line in the DoS trailer too!

3. Good Morning. The best possible introduction for the character of Gandalf across the six films.

4. Radagast and Sebastian. I wasn't all too fond of Radagast the smoker later on, but I loved the scene with him and the hedgehog in Rhosgobel, and the epic music that plays when we first see the bunny sled charging towards Dol Guldur.

5. Gandalf in Goblin-town. No more rubbish from people saying that Gandalf is not a top-class Wizard (I hope).

I also loved all the songs, the Trolls, the Riddles and the Goblin King. The Eagle flight was spectacular. Heck, I loved most of it!

Least favourite scenes:
1. Stone giants. I didn't believe it for one minute.

2. The Dwarves falling after Gandalf kills the Goblin King. Unnecessary and totally stupid in my opinion.

3. Thorin battling Azog and Bilbo saving him. It's not that bad, it just didn't work for me.

4. The White Council. I think I was expecting too much from this scene and it didn't measure up to my high hopes.

5. The scene between Frodo and Bilbo. I like the references to Lobelia the spoon-stealer, but it just felt forced and it delayed the film from getting to the interesting part, i.e. the story of young Bilbo's adventure.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 5:48pm

Post #12 of 29 (367 views)
Shortcut
Top five [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite

1) Erebor and Smaug was awesome! Took my breath away in the theaters and made me hungry for more Smaug destruction!

2) Three trolls. Always my favorite scene in the book I think other than BoFA. The trolls were very good despite my worry about them talking.

3) Smaug's eye. That final scene got me so hyped for DoS. I will die of anticipation!

4) Introduction of Freeman as Bilbo in the good morning scene. Perfect performances all around!

5) Riddles in the dark and Bilbo finding the ring. This needs no explanation I think

Least Favorite

1) Frodo. No thanks I still don't like Wood as Frodo. He makes him to whiny and that whole scene had no purpose.

2) Great Goblin singing. I really like the GG but this part made me cringe. Only add songs in if it will work like the Misty Mountains song.

3) Galadriel apparently having more power and say than Saruman. Didn't like the vibe I got during that scene. Go home Galadriel you're drunk again! Don't interrupt the head of the Istari!

4) Warg chase scene. Not very exciting and the whole hidden path under a big rock that Gandalf was lucky enough to find was just DUMB.

5) Radagast introduction. Hedgehog, random spiders, bird poop and bunny sleigh! GAHHHHH! I love Radagast but his intro felt stupid and pointless. Just a poor way to introduce the Dol Guldur subplot. I really enjoyed the Necromancer scene though.

nhui06
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 6:09pm

Post #13 of 29 (350 views)
Shortcut
Too many favorite scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry but 5 won't do it justice, so I will just list them all out:

- The prologue scene with the introduction of Erebor - great music and teaser of Smaug

- Interaction of Biblo and Frodo; really for nostalgic purposes. I like how we are brought back to the LOTR timeline a bit before we take the dive into the new trilogy. When Frodo exited the scene to surprise Gandalf, I had the biggest smile on my face

- Misty Mountain song

- The scenic scene where the company leaves the Shire; again New Zealand is too beautiful

- Battle of Azanulbizar - I can never get enough of epic battles, plus I love the introduction of Azog. Also loved the way the dwarves found new respect for Thorin after the tale.

- The Goblin town chase scene; Some thought it was too much of a video-game like sequence, but I love video-game sequences. Loved the design of Goblin 'Shanty' Town

- The last scene with the showdown between Azog and the Dwarves/Thorin.

- End scene with the eye of Smaug

My least favorite scene.
- White Council - something did not feel right; like it was put together last minute. For such grand characters of Middle-Earth, the meeting seemed stiff and without focus.

- Fight between Goblin King and Gandalf; a hit on the nose and a slash on his belly.. that was it...

- Thorin hugging Bilbo at the end; thought it was too early for them to reconcile, but I guess AUJ needed a proper closure. I am sure they will get into it more in DOS.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 7:27pm

Post #14 of 29 (326 views)
Shortcut
Loved most of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But, here goes:

Favourites:

1. Erebor prologue

2. All of Bag End

3. Battle of Azanulbizar

4. Thorin vs Azog at end

5. Flight of the eagles

Dislikes were very few:

1, Some moments with Radagast like the stick insect and the "old hippy" aspects

2. Sebastian

3, A couple of the gross jokes

4. The White Council, which, at the moment, doesn't fit - it probably will later

5. James Nesbitt: his exchange with Bilbo was well done but all his other remarks were very "stagey".

DuBekar
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 8:30pm

Post #15 of 29 (312 views)
Shortcut
my top 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite:

1. The beginning. Remember that cold december night at the premiere, sitting there sweating of exitment. Then "The Hobbit" title comes up and The shire theme plays and after that "My dear Frodo", started to cry like a little girl :)

2. Far over the misty mountains scene, of course :)

3. Gandalf and Galadriel scene.

4. I liked the warg chase (except for Radagast), get the chills when Kili screams "There's more coming!!"

5. Battle of Azanulbizar, DUUU BEEEKAAAAR!

Least Favourites:

1. The Goblin kings "secretary" thingy, didn't feel Tolkish about him (or her?)

2. Thorins attack on Azog at the end. I actually like the scene itself and the epic music, the only thing i DON'T like is the fact that the trees falled like a "corridor" all the way to Azog for Thorin to run in :) otherwise, an epic and awesome scene.

3. When Bilbo looks out from the window. I don't know why, but i think it's kinda awkward :( that is the oooonly scene i don't like in the shire.

4. Sebastian. I think it is a cute scene and all that but god i hate that name. It's not a name belonging in tolkiens world..

5. The credits. I love this movie, but this scene is the worst ;)

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

(This post was edited by Hengist on Jun 18 2013, 9:38pm)

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 12:33am

Post #16 of 29 (254 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly enjoyed:

1. The opening credits and accompanying music. I liked this music and thought
it nice that they paired it with the opening credits. It's a nice hook into a movie
and let's us transition from the previews into the main entree.

2. I liked Bilbo cooking fish. That food looked real and scrumptious.

3. Just in itself, I liked the Erebor dwarves mining with the clanking of their tools.
It's a nice shot angle imo, and really gives a wonderment of the Dwarves' endeavors.

4. I am entertained by the Bilbo/Thorin scene when Thorin first arrives at Bag End.
Didn't Tolkien mention that Hobbits and Dwarves enjoy eachother's company? Sly

5. I liked the bird that flew from carrock to Erebor. It's a nice scene imo.

The very interesting Crazy (not saying that it's 'bad' or that i personally dislike it, just possble curious stuff that production may illuminate in future commentaries or in the next films):

1. The prologues... I liked them in a way, and want to like them more, but
something is just a little bit weird about them both, especially in how they
play off eachother. In a way, the two make a nice segue to eachother, but I
find that it takes a certain viewing to reach that conclusion; it's hard to reach
it consistently imo. The erebor prologue just seems too chatty. Old Bilbo might
run out of air and faint telling this prologue. The dialogue about there being much
death on dragon day seems a bit extraneous...ya know, the audience can see
it clearly without us being told. But i think much of the information is important and
will illuminate the events to come in the next installments. By the next films, maybe
this prologue will settle into the story as a whole. THere's a lot of information in Erebor's
and it risks losing the audience straightaway.

The Bilbo/Frodo thing was interesting, and I can kind see how one might have conceived it.
I don't know if it works, but whatever. The part that is risky is some of their dialogue. Ya know
when Bilbo talks to Frodo about hiding the treasure from Lobelia and such and the birthday party...
it's a nice tie-in to FotR, but it's irrelevant to the story at hand, and, coming off the heavy-winded Erebor
prologue, may puzzle an audience and make them wonder where this is all going. Maybe this is not true though.
Then again, I think this film needed some type of prologue to give the present story some clout, which I think the
current prologues, in a way, did succeed. It may set the story for DoS and TaBa.

2. Azanulbizer... A scene whose inclusion is potentially exciting but, in reality, could be cut and the story endureth the same.
It's a bit of a weird pacing into it's introduction.
I don't like Azog punking the Dwarves like that. It's sensational, not convincing imo. Sauron's for me, worked real well, as did the
entire FoTR prologue.

3. Azog and Wargs on Weathertop. I don't care for using this location. Why use Weathertop? It's for the FoTR! Must Anybody and Anything
worth showing must be worthwhile I suppose?!...except for maybe that the location in this context is impertinent despite when
one draws seemingly unnecessary attention to it, but whatever. Maybe it works for many.

4. Set overlooking Rivendell, i.e., the background 'rock' setting behind the gazing hobbit and dwarves.

5. White Council. I think this inclusion is necessary to the overall story, and we will perhaps see why in the Dol Guldur plot to come.
Yet, skip it, and we're on our way. It's just not the most provocative scene, sorry. The council of babbling clowns. But I do like the characters
and actors so it's nice to see them dressed up and involved in these films imo.

Thoughts?Sly

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Jun 19 2013, 12:37am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 6:57am

Post #17 of 29 (214 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountain Song, Gandalf in Goblin Town, The Erebor Prologue. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Reallly, Favourites

The Misty Mountain Song and some of the Unexpected Party leading into it (love Balin "and not thirteen of the best. .. nor brightest!)

Gandalf's entrance into Goblintown

The entire Good Morning sequence, starting with The Butterfly.

The Erebor prologue.

Possibly the lead up to the Radagast introduction oddly enough.

Least Favourite and most disliked. . . .

Azog killing Thror at Azanulbizar. The rest of that scene was really good, though I hate the lack of a definitive Balrog nod

Azog chasing everyone about Eriador. Horrible and damaged the film.

The birdcrap and eyerolling of Radagast

The excessive size of the Stone transfomers (much larger than transformers I think).

Some of the excessive falling of non-magical characters.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jun 19 2013, 6:59am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 3:22pm

Post #18 of 29 (174 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

faves, (no particular order)

1. the opening sequence Dale and Erebor, the Dragon Wind on the battlements.

2. sparks drifting into the night sky from the chimney.

3. Riddles in the Dark.

4. quiet moment between Bofur and Bilbo in the cave.

5. Dwarven song Misty Mountains.

not faves,

1. Everything with Azog

2. Everything in Goblin Town

3. rock em sock em Stone Giants

4. Radagast Bunny sled chase

5. All WC

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 3:32pm

Post #19 of 29 (182 views)
Shortcut
Here goes, in no particular order : [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourites

Erebor Prologue
Unexpected Party
Misty Mountains song and scene
Bilbo sprinting out of Bag End and meeting the company

Hum, thats not even 5 Tongue

Least Favourite

All Azog material
Goblin Town
Rivendell : the visuals as well as the content
Radagast
Cartoony Aspects IE over the top, ridiculous action.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 3:35pm

Post #20 of 29 (176 views)
Shortcut
The entire Good Morning sequence, starting with The Butterfly [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of Freeman's performance as Bilbo in that particular scene?

I am finding some of his excesses and twitches a real downer. Bilbo wouldnt be quite so blunt, rather he would say more of a polite refusal and disregard for Gandalf...i think.

Nira
Lorien

Jun 19 2013, 9:36pm

Post #21 of 29 (145 views)
Shortcut
wasn't as I imagined it [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, I read Bilbo's first few lines to Gandalf more cheerfully and happy, then becoming increasingly cautious. In the movie they were read in a confused and cautious tone from the start, then becoming a little too blunt.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jun 19 2013, 9:39pm)

Hun200kmh
The Shire

Jun 19 2013, 11:25pm

Post #22 of 29 (131 views)
Shortcut
My own likes and dislikes [In reply to] Can't Post

Like:
- Erebor Prologue
- Dwarves singing @ Bag End (both songs)
- Thorin / Balin interaction @ Bag End
- Balin telling Bilbo about Thorin's past
- Riddles in the Dark
- End scene (bird waking up dragon)

Dislike:
- Old Bilbo + old Frodo. I'd LOVE to loved them in AUJ as much as I loved them in FOTR, but 10 years past neither looks or sounds the same. Took me out of the movie.
- Mountain/ stone giants coupled with indestructible dwarves
- Goblin town, goblin king, indestructible dwaves
- Azog scenes (Lurtz was scarier and felt real, this one comes right out of a video game).
- Radagast scenes (do I need to explain?)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2013, 1:51am

Post #23 of 29 (128 views)
Shortcut
Precisely [In reply to] Can't Post

thats my take on it as well. I dont think its as good as it could be.

He begins by being very suspicious and cautious form the beginning and when hes got the pipe inside his mouth, hes all hummmmmmmm well uhn hun gotta go! Bye bye!

I didn read that in the book at all. He was more polite and maintained his manners. That scene sounds liek a superficial take on Bilbo.

After Gandalf says : and where else should i be? Bilbo says weeeellll eheh unnn hummmm.... puffs on his pipe and looks at Gandalf as if hes saying Well, dude, what ya gonna do?

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 20 2013, 1:52am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 6:59am

Post #24 of 29 (88 views)
Shortcut
I almost forgot, I did not like the implication that Gandalf was somehow subordinate to Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I love her character and Cate's portrayl, but that really irked me for reasons of the nature of those involved (as in nature of being).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 21 2013, 7:00am

Post #25 of 29 (83 views)
Shortcut
I took the "well umm er" and puffing as a quasi polite way of saying "I expected you'd be dead by now," [In reply to] Can't Post

which surely is what he would have thought of an old man, seemingly a contemporary of his grandfather but actually far older, who was old when he himself was a small child.

In Reply To
thats my take on it as well. I dont think its as good as it could be.

He begins by being very suspicious and cautious form the beginning and when hes got the pipe inside his mouth, hes all hummmmmmmm well uhn hun gotta go! Bye bye!

I didn read that in the book at all. He was more polite and maintained his manners. That scene sounds liek a superficial take on Bilbo.

After Gandalf says : and where else should i be? Bilbo says weeeellll eheh unnn hummmm.... puffs on his pipe and looks at Gandalf as if hes saying Well, dude, what ya gonna do?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.