Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"new video blog in the final stages of post and out very soon!"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arthael
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 6:42am

Post #1 of 58 (2635 views)
Shortcut
"new video blog in the final stages of post and out very soon!" Can't Post

Fresh from PJ's facbook!

and apparently their pickups involve the spiders in Mirkwood?

check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/...hc_location=timeline

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

(This post was edited by Arthael on Jun 18 2013, 6:46am)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 7:13am

Post #2 of 58 (1308 views)
Shortcut
YOU!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You beat me to the post.... good man (or lady?).

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 7:52am

Post #3 of 58 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re-shooting for DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess they have to re-shoot many of the scenes from DoS due to the change in AUJ where Thorin approves Bilbo, which I think was supposed to happen after the barrels (the original ending to AUJ)
They have to make Thorin less aggressive toward Bilbo and more welcome to him Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Jun 18 2013, 7:54am)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 58 (1079 views)
Shortcut
What a mess... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thoring angry hug was one of the worst part of AUJ, so cheesy, so predictable, so bad.
2 movies and no cheese? I'm thorn within.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 2:48pm

Post #5 of 58 (1018 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how long [In reply to] Can't Post

"the final stages of post" take.

Since all the previous vlogs have had a theme, I'm guessing this one will be about pickups and their role in the filmmaking process.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Silmaril
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 2:54pm

Post #6 of 58 (965 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 3:13pm

Post #7 of 58 (974 views)
Shortcut
wait [In reply to] Can't Post

im guessing final stages of Post on a video blog means waiting for it to upload to facebook? which could mean quite a while yet ;)

just a quick note to PJ, soon in my book means less than a month!!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 3:15pm

Post #8 of 58 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Cliche [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thoring angry hug was one of the worst part of AUJ, so cheesy, so predictable, so bad.
2 movies and no cheese? I'm thorn within.

You forgot cliche and lazy writing. You know, it's not even the cliche that really bothers me. It's that people like Boyens, who profess how they know best that a scene like "Go home, Sam" needs a "dramatic reversal" from Writing 101 that is so horribly contrary to what Tolkien wrote, defend the things they do in the face of common sense. These people who are paid well for their so-called credentials should know better, but use the cliche anyway. As I ponder it, I think that's what really offends me. It's not the story or the scene - it's the hypocrites who try to sell it knowing it is cliche and expect us to buy it.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 18 2013, 3:19pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 3:31pm

Post #9 of 58 (954 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

also the DOS trailer features 2 repetitive statemeants

it must be a trap...surely its a trap.. gandy/rad
it is not out fight...it is our fight.... taur/leg

seriously? its like they couldnt think of another sentence so just repeated what the other one said.

sucks gig time, and is totally opposite to what makes these books so good, the writing!

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 3:45pm

Post #10 of 58 (952 views)
Shortcut
I think it's pretty obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

That there was a lot of cut dialogue in that trailer. It's highly likely that there will be additional dialogue between the "This isn't our fight" line and the "It is our fight" response.

I haven't payed much attention to the Gandalf and Radagast scene yet, but during the scene where Radagast asks "I think this is a trap", Radagast is facing Gandalf directly. But in the shot where Gandalf responds, Radagast is already walking away, wich may imply there's cut dialogue between those 2 lines aswell.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 3:48pm

Post #11 of 58 (907 views)
Shortcut
Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing wrong with either of those lines IMO. As many times as I've watched the trailer these lines I though worked just fine. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 3:51pm

Post #12 of 58 (928 views)
Shortcut
Sorry? [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you make "It IS our fight" repitition of "This is not our fight"? The one makes a statement, the other contradicts it. One proposes, the other replies.

Same with "What if it's a trap"...... "Undoubtedly it's a trap." By repeating 'trap' the emphasis is thrown onto it. If Gandalf had said "Undoubtedly it is", which he could have done, you would lose the ominous significance of 'trap', which is the word you're meant to carry away from that exchange.

That's not bad writing. Deliberate use of a phrase for effect - it also has a slight edge of formality which fits Tolkien rather well. I wouldn't mind betting I could find you some examples of Tolkien using the same kind of exchange - statement/response or question/answer - if I had time to look.

"Have you got the time?" - "Yes." "Yes, I have." "Yes, I've got the time." They're all prefectly good English. Which one you choose might depend on the character you're writing for, the shades of meaning and emphasis, but they're all good.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 3:57pm

Post #13 of 58 (902 views)
Shortcut
your exscused [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How do you make "It IS our fight" repitition of "This is not our fight"? The one makes a statement, the other contradicts it. One proposes, the other replies.

Same with "What if it's a trap"...... "Undoubtedly it's a trap." By repeating 'trap' the emphasis is thrown onto it. If Gandalf had said "Undoubtedly it is", which he could have done, you would lose the ominous significance of 'trap', which is the word you're meant to carry away from that exchange.

That's not bad writing. Deliberate use of a phrase for effect - it also has a slight edge of formality which fits Tolkien rather well. I wouldn't mind betting I could find you some examples of Tolkien using the same kind of exchange - statement/response or question/answer - if I had time to look.

"Have you got the time?" - "Yes." "Yes, I have." "Yes, I've got the time." They're all prefectly good English. Which one you choose might depend on the character you're writing for, the shades of meaning and emphasis, but they're all good.

you dont have to be sorry..btw

'have you got the time'...'yes its half past 6' that would be a normal response, not 'yes I have the time'

IMO as all my posts usually are, its sounds cheesy.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 18 2013, 4:01pm

Post #14 of 58 (879 views)
Shortcut
Only if the questioner wanted to know what the time was... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are other meanings to "Have you got the time?"....

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 4:11pm

Post #15 of 58 (849 views)
Shortcut
Passive Speech [In reply to] Can't Post

I often ask my family to "say what you want" instead of using passive speech.

In this case, the proper question is "What time is it?" It's much better than passively implying what you want.

So if I'm feeling a little annoyed at the time and someone asks, "Do you have the time?" the rude answer is, "Yes." I annoy them back by knowing the real question and not answering it until they ask the question honestly.

It's the same sort of thing where your spouse says, "It's a nice day out today, isn't it?" when she really means take out the garbage. Just tell me what you want and don't make me have to read into things.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 18 2013, 4:43pm

Post #16 of 58 (822 views)
Shortcut
UNdoubtedly [In reply to] Can't Post

if there is no doubt, then Radagast is becoming more dumb from all that mushroom consumption?

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 5:22pm

Post #17 of 58 (782 views)
Shortcut
I assumed [In reply to] Can't Post

those were edited to be "punch lines" for the trailer. Surely Legolas and Tauriel say some other stuff in there I would think. Gandalf too though I don't think his line is as typical as Tauriel who apparently is poorly written from everything I have seen so far. Lots of eye rolling lines from her.

(This post was edited by The Mitch King on Jun 18 2013, 5:25pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2013, 6:53pm

Post #18 of 58 (755 views)
Shortcut
Who are the hypocrites in your scenario? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your phrasing is unclear.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2013, 6:55pm

Post #19 of 58 (748 views)
Shortcut
"Sorry" has a different meaning in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

I think dormouse was saying "I don't understand, please explain". Which you did, of course!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 8:09pm

Post #20 of 58 (684 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont think thats what she meant. ask her. sorry with a question mark in a response to something someone disagrees with usually means 'your joking right'

im english and the subtleties of im sorry go way way deeper than you could ever imagine!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 18 2013, 8:29pm

Post #21 of 58 (670 views)
Shortcut
That's enough of this subthread. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have gone from discussing a topic to discussing a board member, which goes against our Terms of Service. Any more posts within this subthread will be removed.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SaltedPork
Bree

Jun 19 2013, 12:59am

Post #22 of 58 (552 views)
Shortcut
Bad dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with your thought there. Yeah, I guess the writing is terrible. Would have made much more sense if it played out this way:

Legolas: "This is not our fight."

Tauriel: "Nahhhhhhh."

or

Radagast: "What if its a trap?"

Gandalf: "Well essentially if it's trap, then we are screwed Radagast."

I think the writing is fine. What is Gandalf supposed to say to him? Please somebody give me some better dialogue to replace what is in the trailer. I dare you.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2013, 1:05am

Post #23 of 58 (554 views)
Shortcut
Better Dialog [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the writing is fine. What is Gandalf supposed to say to him? Please somebody give me some better dialogue to replace what is in the trailer. I dare you.

Radagast: "What if its a trap?"

Gandalf: "Stand under the waterfall to wash off that BIRD CRAP and I'll tell you!"

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 2:15am

Post #24 of 58 (529 views)
Shortcut
Agree here. Never judge only from the trailer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Being that almost obvious, I made that mistake myself with AUJ.
Some parts which I disliked in the trailers where perfect in the complete movie.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 19 2013, 11:30am

Post #25 of 58 (495 views)
Shortcut
I actually enjoy the video blogs [In reply to] Can't Post

immensely. even more than the finished product. Its great to see everyones enthusiasm and dedication. The camararderie is fun to watch. its very interesting to watch the filming process and visit all the departments, my faves are costumes and editing suites.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jun 19 2013, 11:30am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.