Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The courtesy of our hall is somewhat lessened of late. (Admin Announcement, ALL PLEASE READ)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ugly Troll
Rivendell

Sep 7 2012, 12:43am

Post #51 of 91 (6686 views)
Shortcut
The elf-maiden appreciates your kind words and returns your greetings\ [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 24 2012, 1:40am

Post #52 of 91 (6229 views)
Shortcut
What I've noticed - [In reply to] Can't Post

Since this thread went up I've noticed that the courtesy of our hall is somewhat improved... greatly improved. Even on the part of some of our notoriously negative and acerbic members there has been a remarkable change for the better.

In short everyone seems to be playing together quite well lately. Without reservation I can say to everyone, well done! Especially to our admins and mods, without whose efforts and leadership a turnaround like this would not have been possible.

Looking forward to the very busy months ahead, my hope is twofold: that peace will continue to reign in this place; and that people would be willing to take a fresh look at each other -- especially their nemesis, if they have one -- and let bygones be bygones.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 24 2012, 1:47am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 3:00am

Post #53 of 91 (6803 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

The rule of law is only as strong as those who uphold it. Kudos to the admins for promoting, and enforcing, discipline, courtesy and respect. Not an easy task.

One need only head over to AICN to see what a moderator-less conversation can look like. Appalling.

-SA

hobbit N.Z

Oct 12 2012, 6:13am

Post #54 of 91 (5945 views)
Shortcut
Agreement! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree with those rules, but I have actually found the forum quite nice.
-Hobbit from N.Z Wink

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 13 2012, 3:52am

Post #55 of 91 (6106 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, and welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, happily, the forum has calmed quite a bit since this was posted and become much more its old self again. But we've left this here because it's always good to have a reminder, and we are always gaining new members who may not be used to our style. I'm glad you've found it a good place to be. Cool

Silverlode

Refurin
The Shire

Oct 18 2012, 12:41am

Post #56 of 91 (6708 views)
Shortcut
I'm new, but so far I'm enjoying the pleasant atmosphere here [In reply to] Can't Post

So I assume the moderators must be doing a good job. I was a Mod for a forum and I know how hard it can be to tread that line between censoring free speech and just keeping things civil. But from what I've seen in my lurking the staff here are doing quite well. So bravo. I look forward to becoming more involved in this community.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Nov 12 2012, 9:03pm

Post #57 of 91 (6838 views)
Shortcut
Well stated.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not been around much lately, missed some rows I see...but I see people stepping up and making peace, which is great!

sara
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 1:26pm

Post #58 of 91 (5100 views)
Shortcut
The most refreshing post I've seen in a long time [In reply to] Can't Post

You have no idea how refreshing it is to see this post.

I haven't been here for a long while, mainly because facebook has been sucking most of my computer screen time.

I deactivated my fb account yesterday specifically because of all of the negativity and the fact that it had become unenjoyable.

There are few things I love more than Tolkien.

I'm so happy the mods/admins here emphasize all of the points made in this post.

It's nice to know there's a place we can go to discuss and read about these beloved stories openly, freely and respectfully with others who feel the same way knowing that disrespect will not be tolerated.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2012, 1:45pm

Post #59 of 91 (5036 views)
Shortcut
Sara! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Every now and then, I'd wonder where you were...welcome back! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

sara
Lorien

Dec 17 2012, 7:04pm

Post #60 of 91 (4938 views)
Shortcut
Hi Dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. Smile

I don't know how often I can pop in as I'm trying to do less screen time in general, but it's nice to be back.

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Dec 17 2012, 7:52pm

Post #61 of 91 (5387 views)
Shortcut
bleah [In reply to] Can't Post

PC freaks. How is that for courtesy?

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 1:41am

Post #62 of 91 (5911 views)
Shortcut
Don't be rude [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to post in this thread because the title makes me laugh.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 3:13pm

Post #63 of 91 (4661 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear....I broke several...Will strive not to do that again [In reply to] Can't Post

What an utter belligerent poster I was before I actually saw the Hobbit and loved it.

I apologize to any and all I might have offended with my erroneous perceptions. To get so rankled about something you haven't seen in context - let me learn from this.

And the two things I was most in arms about, I wound up loving (Radagast and Thorin's appearance.)

I am truly sorry for being a cantankerous Capricorn. This is a wonderful forum and I would like to be part of that wonderful.

/Sue -BTB

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 12:29am

Post #64 of 91 (4746 views)
Shortcut
Bomby Loves YouALL too Much! [In reply to] Can't Post

If ever Bomby messes with anyone..
Banish me to Valinor

To Dance under the Stars
with ALL of our
Goldberry'ies!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 9:17pm

Post #65 of 91 (4330 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else a bit tired of the uncivil complaining about people complaining? [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, now I'm complaining about people complaining about people complaining!

I noticed this really start around the time that AUJ came out, and since then it's gotten worse, not better. It seems to be rather one-sided: those fans who were disappointed in the films are criticizing the films themselves, while (some) fans who enjoyed the films are criticizing other posters on these boards.

Just in the past few days, I've encountered comments such as "disliking TH is absurd"; "I'm disappointed on certain posters on here"; one board member to another who had critiqued the film: "just because you didn't like something doesn't mean it didn't work" (IE "my opinion is fact and anyone who disagrees with my objective like for TH is wrong"); and just today "the saddening weight of negativity weights down most threads on these boards". These there's the general lecturing about "nitpicking", "you're just looking for something to complain about", ETC.

Granted, both sides have been guilty of this in the past (including myself), but really, IMO, the atmosphere risks becoming a bit toxic due to dissenting opinions of those who aren't brimming with enthusiasm for TH films being shouted down.

We're a fanbase, not a cult: those who enjoyed the films are not the "true fans" who got the genius of Peter Jackson while the rest of us losers were too busy winging to notice. Tongue Yet that's exactly the attitude I've seen around here recently in certain posts.

By all means, all manner of opinion should be allowed: those who enjoy the films, those who liked parts of the them, those who didn't, those who are undecided. But IMO, we should limit the arguments to the topic at hand, and not whether one is "disappointed" with other posters, or thinks they're "haters", or "trolls", or what have you.

Perhaps it's just me, and I'm totally off. Anywho, wanted to put it out there. Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 17 2013, 9:26pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 10:23pm

Post #66 of 91 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Nature of complaints [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't (and won't) complain about people complaining, per se; everyone's entitled to their opinion, and there are things about both LOTR and TH that I like, and things that I don't, so I can sympathise with both sides to some extent.

What has disturbed me is the way some of the complaints have been framed. They've gone way beyond "I don't like this / this was badly done" into assuming that the poster knows exactly what motivates the director / scriptwriter / whoever, and that it is something reprehensible, and then badmouthing the person behind their back on that basis. I know it's possible that any or all of the movie team may lurk on TORN or post under a pseudonym, but we don't know for certain, nor if so, who, nor what they are reading, so ethically speaking it is behind their back. They deserve better than that, not because they are perfect, or because they are PJ, Philippa Boyens or whoever, but because they are human beings.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 10:24pm

Post #67 of 91 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

we often feel that theres a percentage of said fanbase that wishes these boards would be a complete jackson gloryfest. No "bad vibes"...

The whole "how dare you" " hey, hey, pj is doing his best" " why do people gotta be such nitpickers" " theres too much negativity around here" , "gee why do you have to be always criticizing" thing, is a symptom of this blind fandom attitude.

And those who do not share this mindset have been persecuted, shut down, attacked, threatened even.

I think part of the problem lies with a significant percentage of posters who dont seem to be able to deal with anything that isnt glorying, praising to the heavens, constant boasting, revering almost, of jacksons films.

This doenst happen everywhere. Many people who dont like jacksons films dont even come here, because the "environment" does not seem to be receptive.

This is not an isolated phenomenon. In a variety of ther places and situations in life, people tend to flock to groups where they feel more welcome or where there is a kinship or agreement of minds.

Cheers

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 17 2013, 10:25pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 10:35pm

Post #68 of 91 (4279 views)
Shortcut
BTW, wanted to say: [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if I'm going so or it creates further argument, mods feel free to move or delete. Smile

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 17 2013, 10:35pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 10:41pm

Post #69 of 91 (4274 views)
Shortcut
Understandable, and I hope PJ and Co. are not offended by what they read on here... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand, I'd hope (and expect) that they wouldn't be sensitive to the point of being insulted by what they read on the internet. It's part of the job.

Certainly, frustrated fan venting IMO is fine as long as long as it's respectful to other posters, (and IMO, the remark that say, "PJ and company think themselves better writers than Tolkien" or something along those lines isn't so much supposing that a poster knows exactly what drives the creative team, just a reaction the what they've gleamed from events thus far).

But I agree that we shouldn't partake in baseless slander (which IMO is usually not the case here). I think we have a better track record in that regard than many film sites. Smile

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 17 2013, 10:42pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 10:52pm

Post #70 of 91 (4233 views)
Shortcut
Well yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I think we have a better track record in that regard than many film sites"

.... I've seen a lot worse elsewhere! TORN is pretty civilised on the whole, it's just a few posts that had a rather nasty taste lately.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 11:06pm

Post #71 of 91 (4299 views)
Shortcut
Just reread this to refresh memory [In reply to] Can't Post

And think that I could be a bit more circumspect in my comments. If only we had a button where we could actually hear a poster saying what they've posted, misunderstandings might arise less often. Inflection colors meaning in a powerful way. Without it, well, the burden is on how well we can string words together and we are not all equally -- or consistently -- articulate. As you say, always give people the benefit of a doubt and ask for clarification before assuming anything. Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2013, 9:16pm

Post #72 of 91 (4236 views)
Shortcut
There's also a number of regulars [In reply to] Can't Post

who avoid the Hobbit board because they think the atmosphere is too toxic because of all the antipathy toward the movies.

It goes both ways, and no one is threatened, unless they continue to break the rules, and only after repeated warnings. It's just a message board on the internet, so no one is going to be hurt, or lose their job, because of what someone says. The worst that can happen is someone is banned from TORn.

The admins watch HOW someone posts, not necessarily WHAT they post. We have defended folks who don't like the movies as well as those who do. We have admonished people who love the movies as well as those who do not. We discuss what's happening on the boards every day, and always come to a consensus before we take any action. Most of the people never see what we do because it occurs via PM.

It does help to have a sense of humor while posting. I've found that a smile or a laugh can usually dissolve tension and help people find common ground.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2013, 8:57pm

Post #73 of 91 (4160 views)
Shortcut
For what it may be worth - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I was a regular poster until a few months ago, when the movie came out. Frankly, I feel that the overwhelming feeling on the hobbit board is that which Lusitano refers to - IMO an outpouring of reverence for the movie, and the movie-makers, with little or no room for folk who have a contrary opinion. I definitely feel it isn't a place where I feel comfortable any more.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 25 2013, 10:48pm

Post #74 of 91 (4099 views)
Shortcut
But we still love you in the Reading Room :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

All your posts are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2013, 12:11pm

Post #75 of 91 (4082 views)
Shortcut
Very kind of you to say so - [In reply to] Can't Post

- thank you.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.