A great shot of Smaug
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

frodolives
Lorien

Jun 17 2013, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 30 (1969 views)
Shortcut
A great shot of Smaug Can't Post

I was initially not impressed with the Smaug we got in the new trailer. But this brightened image really shows off the design. I'm now sold. It looks terrific -- I love the maniacal grin especially. http://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/hobbit-trailer-smaug-featured.jpg?w=600

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 9:23pm

Post #2 of 30 (935 views)
Shortcut
Good job, thanks!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 9:26pm

Post #3 of 30 (999 views)
Shortcut
That grin is GREAT [In reply to] Can't Post

I think his face is amazing. Thanks for posting the link Frodolives! (Plus I like seeing more of the color too.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jun 17 2013, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 30 (908 views)
Shortcut
Good job [In reply to] Can't Post

In this shot he looks absolutely perfect in my opinion. Its gonna be a truly momentous scene with Benedicts dialogue.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 9:44pm

Post #5 of 30 (878 views)
Shortcut
Great find! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't see that at all in any version of the trailer that i've seen, and it makes all the difference in the world. And not just that brilliant grin-- it shows his head shape much more, to bring it more in line with what we've seen in AUJ. Looking very much forward to these scenes-- should be every bit as good as Riddles in the Dark...

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 10:04pm

Post #6 of 30 (895 views)
Shortcut
I did something like that myself :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't brighten it up that much because then I think it tends to fade a bit, but I did it enough that you can differentiate the textures (click on picture for bigger image in another tab/window):

"Go on. Walk on. You must be destroyed."

"Good boy! That's the spirit! Bring my miserable line to an end. Up, up! Come, Scientist, destroy me! Destroy your creation! Come!"

~Frankenstein

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 10:09pm

Post #7 of 30 (870 views)
Shortcut
He looks like an ancestor of the Skull Island dinosaurs from PJ's KK, especially the V-Rex. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Fàfnir
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 10:20pm

Post #8 of 30 (846 views)
Shortcut
Can we affirm that he has no horn ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we can, his head's back could be of any shape

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 10:33pm

Post #9 of 30 (815 views)
Shortcut
Interesting – and it looks as though he will be red! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for posting this. Smile

sycorax82
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 11:01pm

Post #10 of 30 (830 views)
Shortcut
It's so difficult to tell whether this is going to work or not... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, Smaug looks pretty good, but he's huge!! Which I did want, but if the dialogue scene is going to be here with little Bilbo and Smaug's huge head, is it going to work?

When he talks it looks like it's going to be a better version of what we saw in Dragonheart. His head is sufficiently dragon-like, and with a real intelligence. In Dragonheart, Draco's head was a little too humanized, obviously so they could have him speak and emote well enough. Here it's like a compromise.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 11:07pm

Post #11 of 30 (850 views)
Shortcut
Oh my god [In reply to] Can't Post

Unimpressed

Youre so right. Thats why i thought i had seen that face before. Laugh

I hope it looks better in december. Not quite sold on him yet.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

jtarkey
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 1:04am

Post #12 of 30 (738 views)
Shortcut
That was my thought as well upon first viewing! [In reply to] Can't Post

This shot from King Kong came to mind, which I actually thought had fairly good CGI for a closeup...

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/king_kong_3.png

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 1:10am

Post #13 of 30 (715 views)
Shortcut
That is [In reply to] Can't Post

dreadfully frightening. Shocked If Jackson has Smaug pop his head out suddenly, I will probably either jump in my seat, scream, or both. And that will be embarassing in the theater. Crazy

frodolives
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 2:23am

Post #14 of 30 (683 views)
Shortcut
I don't see it [In reply to] Can't Post

In comparing Smaug to the V-Rexes from King King, the only resemblance I see is the size of the creatures and the fact that they have big teeth. Other than that, the shapes of the heads are quite different as are the mouths. They eyes are very different as well.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 2:56am

Post #15 of 30 (692 views)
Shortcut
I'm not a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't like the design. It looks too much like an animatronic to me. That would have been fine if we lived in the age of filming with animatronics, but since CGI can be so spectacular these days, I was expecting something more fantastic. Hopefully when I see all of him in the theater I'll be blown away. Right now, I'm not hopeful.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jun 18 2013, 3:00am

Post #16 of 30 (660 views)
Shortcut
Closer to a komodo dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they started with a komodo dragon/monitor lizard skull as a base from which they molded the form of Smaug's skull, adding horns and shifting the eyes to the sides of his head. The mouth is especially similar, with enlarged teeth. I wonder how this will relate to the rest of his body.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 3:18am

Post #17 of 30 (668 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow his expression gives him that "human" look, and by human I mean the ability to speak english language. Don't know what it is....but I want to get a screenshot and photoshop some more for more details!

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 3:32am

Post #18 of 30 (788 views)
Shortcut
for the heck of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to take away from whoever edited them before me, but...

That last one is a split second before it goes to the credits, and I have a theory that they cut it off just as he's about to say something because his tongue moves like he's going to speak!

P.S. Hope photos are not too large!

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 18 2013, 4:43am

Post #19 of 30 (692 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, looks pretty awful to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

「さようなら、ミスターホームズ」〜アイリーンアダラーのメール

「ベルグレービアの醜聞」

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 4:48am

Post #20 of 30 (638 views)
Shortcut
He looks [In reply to] Can't Post

so freaking cool. Gonna be so great to hear him talk in December.Cool

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 5:34am

Post #21 of 30 (633 views)
Shortcut
Holy smokin' dragons! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow wow wow! Thanks for brightening up those shots! In the trailer, even watching it on the big screen in the theater, he was dark and I couldn't make out this level of detail. He looks fantastic - just as I'd imagined him to look! And I can just see him in these photos starting to speak! Gah! Can't WAIT!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2013, 5:37am

Post #22 of 30 (630 views)
Shortcut
LOL!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, but you gotta love those big brown eyes!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jun 18 2013, 6:15am

Post #23 of 30 (618 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks pretty much perfect to me. He looks like Smaug. Old, conniving, vicious, unsympathetic and self-assured. He'll be great when we finally see him the way he is supposed to be seen in december.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 18 2013, 9:52am

Post #24 of 30 (536 views)
Shortcut
Sweet little puppy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Replying to:

'I don't know, looks pretty awful to me... by bborchar' Unimpressed

Noria
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 12:51pm

Post #25 of 30 (465 views)
Shortcut
Looks great. [In reply to] Can't Post

And to me he somehow looks like Benedict Cumberbatch, though I'll not pretend that would have occurred to me if I wasn't familiar with the actor.

Thanks for this

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.