The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
white council?

trqn13
Bree

Jun 17 2013, 7:18pm

Post #1 of 11 (737 views)
Shortcut
white council? Can't Post

I would of liked to have seen them go "the whole hog" in the white council scene, maybe including Celeborn and/or Radagast? what do you guys think?

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 7:28pm

Post #2 of 11 (392 views)
Shortcut
I would LOVE to see Celeborn and CIRDAN make appearances, but it aint going to happen [In reply to] Can't Post

(Anyone who has read my essay will know why Cirdan is in capitals)

Neither of the actors who played them in the LOTR trilogy are returning, but both would have been nice nods to the book fans, and intriguing to flesh out. As for Radagast I'm intrigued my how he seems seperated from the other wise in AUJ, and I hope they keep him more elusive and in the action with Gandalf, rather than tied down with the council-I'm not overly fond of Mcoy's portrayal, but he's too zany to be tied down in comitee meetings.

I would rather see more of Sir Christopher Lee for two reasons: 1) I was rather annoyed they kept cutting out his dialogue in AUJ-he's got a great voice, and I love the character, I want to see and hear more of him this time around 2) Christopher Lee is a legend.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2013, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 11 (376 views)
Shortcut
If the Council is going to debate essentially going to war... [In reply to] Can't Post

...It would make sense to have the FULL White Council present and not just the Big Four. Even then, I think of Radagast as optional--he was never supposedly a regular attendee. Even if Celeborn could be considered a member of the Council, it seems as if he generally allowed his spouse Galadriel to represent him as well as herself. It would be nice to see the seats of Cirdan the Shipwright and Glorfindel filled, and perhaps one or two others.

I would especially like to see the Council represented in full when it goes to attack Dol Guldur.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

trqn13
Bree

Jun 17 2013, 8:18pm

Post #4 of 11 (343 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan the shipwright? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting, yes he originally had one of the elven rings and yes he was on the white council my only worry is that not many people would know who Cirdan was cus he was never really "involved" in LOTR films. I agree 100%, Sir Christopher Lee is legendary.

"Give me your name, Horse Master, and I shall give you mine"

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 8:22pm

Post #5 of 11 (349 views)
Shortcut
They were all there [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a psychic linkup.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 8:25pm

Post #6 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
No one complained [In reply to] Can't Post

about the smell.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 8:25pm

Post #7 of 11 (336 views)
Shortcut
I am Known as TORn's resident Cirdan Nut, and wrote a (very long) essay about him that may interest/bore/confuse you: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://paulashwellreviews.wordpress.com/...e-tolkien-fans-only/

I stopped blogging ages ago byt every so often I update the essay, it's been posted here before in a few different forms.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 9:06pm

Post #8 of 11 (293 views)
Shortcut
Cirdan and Glorfindel are the most blatantly missing links. [In reply to] Can't Post

Essentially, even putting a few more Elves there as the full council and having a pair who fit Glorfindel and Cirdan's general description and are not otherwise named. Lindir getting a nod when they don't still really rankles.

In Reply To
I would of liked to have seen them go "the whole hog" in the white council scene, maybe including Celeborn and/or Radagast? what do you guys think?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 9:19pm

Post #9 of 11 (280 views)
Shortcut
Having Glorfindel showing up for a sielnt cameo would do him a diservice [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since they are apparently (so I hear) giving his fmaous prohecy to Tauriel. I'd rather him and Cirdan turn up in future adaptations, but in line with their role and history in the book. I'm still narked they cut Cirdan's beard from the film (as the whole 'bearded elf!' thing was why I got interested in the character), since Lindir is in the films maybe he should get a few lines at the council-four people feels a little cheap on the numbers to me.

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 18 2013, 8:20am

Post #10 of 11 (190 views)
Shortcut
Your essay [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the most interesting and insightful Tolkien-related pieces I've read in a while. Really well done!Wink

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 19 2013, 5:39am

Post #11 of 11 (159 views)
Shortcut
That Tauriel business is not confirmed. We don't know what they are lifting. If it really is Glorfindel's lines. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

there really are no words. A one liner cameo would do him much better service than the near total omission he has gotten. Technically he has a non speaking cameo in the films as the wrong Elf. He SHOULD have been (and in my mind remains) the one standing behind Elrond in Minas Tirith. I also imagine him to be the one sitting by Gandalf in The Coucnil, merely played by a different actor. lol.

Anyway, it would do him much more service than he has gotten to sit beside Gandalf at a meeting of the full council. Perhaps even a special nod by having him speak a single line in support of Mithrandir.

Disservice would be giving his lines of Prophecy to a Silvan Elf as far removed from him in power and wisdom as Peregrin Took is from Celeborn The Wise. Outrageous, and I hope it isn't so.

In Reply To
Especially since they are apparently (so I hear) giving his fmaous prohecy to Tauriel. I'd rather him and Cirdan turn up in future adaptations, but in line with their role and history in the book. I'm still narked they cut Cirdan's beard from the film (as the whole 'bearded elf!' thing was why I got interested in the character), since Lindir is in the films maybe he should get a few lines at the council-four people feels a little cheap on the numbers to me.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.