Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Some day my Austen prince will come...
Poll: Some day my Austen prince will come...
Mr. Darcy
Colonel Brandon
Mr. Knightley
Fredrick Wentworth
Other, please specify
View Results (31 votes)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 1 2007, 7:13pm

Post #1 of 20 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Some day my Austen prince will come... Can't Post

and he will be...

Why?

I LOVE POLLS!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2007, 7:30pm

Post #2 of 20 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Col. Brandon [In reply to] Can't Post

I like older men. Blush

Annael
Immortal

Mar 1 2007, 8:00pm

Post #3 of 20 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Frederick Wentworth [In reply to] Can't Post

Faithful, expresses himself well in writing ("you pierce my soul"), and a sea captain - what's not to like?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2007, 8:48pm

Post #4 of 20 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Can't I just have all of them? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't decide!!!!!!

Although Mr. Darcy is the richest, so he gets a slight edge. Plus he's snarky, which I love. Colonel Brandon is too nice - he would drive me crazy. Mr. Knightley is OK, but he is a bit of a crab. Frederick Wentworth is too wishy-washy - he should have just told Anne to forget her relatives and go to sea with him.

Stapper
Lorien

Mar 1 2007, 9:10pm

Post #5 of 20 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Mr Darcy [In reply to] Can't Post

For not really wanting any of the others and being temporarily unable to come up with someone else...

shuya
Rivendell

Mar 1 2007, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 20 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Darcy...movie, mini-series, book, whatever! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although if I had a choice, I'd probably take Matthew MacFadyen. Colin Firth is wonderful too, but there's just something about MacFadyen...

I agree with entmaiden - being snarky and also extremely rich are both huge plusses. Also there's something about a guy who is standoffish to the rest of the world but totally hooked on you, and he clearly treats those he loves very well (Georgiana). It's been awhile since I read Persuasion, but I remember Wentworth as being too timid for me, plus I wouldn't want a seafaring life. Knightley was pretty great, but still no Darcy. Brandon is a bit too old for me, but I'd love to have him as a neighbor!

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 1 2007, 11:55pm

Post #7 of 20 (1558 views)
Shortcut
As long as Frederick Wentworth [In reply to] Can't Post

is portrayed by Ciaran Hinds ...

I'm sorry, I was daydreaming. What was I saying?

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 3 2007, 12:52am

Post #8 of 20 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Darcy, all day, every day! [In reply to] Can't Post

He does not love lightly, but when he does, hoo-boy!

Hmmm. I wonder if Mr. Darcy would love a girl that said "hoo-boy!"?

*cries*

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 3 2007, 2:54pm

Post #9 of 20 (1524 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

to have picked Mr. Knightley -- though no one else has publicly admitted it. Great idea for a poll!

Patty
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 8:52pm

Post #10 of 20 (1552 views)
Shortcut
I picked Colonel Brandon.. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is constant, loving and gentle (as played by Alan Rickman, anyhow), not TOO old for me (although, perhaps, a little old for Marianne), and dare I mention it--wealthy. Brave, sensitive, etc. etc. I'm not too big on poetry, so he wouldn't have to be reading it to me.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 9:22pm

Post #11 of 20 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Hey Annael--did you ever watch the movie "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful story of an impossible love between a deceased sea captain and a young widow. Lovely atmospheric music. I'll bet you'd love it.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 10:59pm

Post #12 of 20 (1538 views)
Shortcut
absotively! [In reply to] Can't Post

several times.

PS Patty I've been on a "Jane Eyre" kick this week. Watched an old version with Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayston because someone on imdb said it was the best. Not even close. But then I just had to watch Timothy & Zelah show them all how it should be done . . .Smile

Patty
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 11:58pm

Post #13 of 20 (1581 views)
Shortcut
The version you just watched.. [In reply to] Can't Post

has become my sister's second favorite version.
Oh course, Timothy Dalton remains her favorite. I've not seen the Cusack version yet.

Penthe
Gondor

Mar 4 2007, 6:17am

Post #14 of 20 (1523 views)
Shortcut
*ahem* just because I picked Captain Wentworth [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't mean that I wouldn't have received the polite attentions of any of the other gentlemen had they happened to reside in my neighbourhood when I was a young and unattached lady.

But my dear husband is much more like Mr Darcy than any of the others. Snarky and loves me lots, that is.

One of my bestest friends is married to a very Bingleyesque character, who is indeed called Charles. And he's the one who looks quite a lot like dear Eomer from that nice movie Lord of the Rings.

Penthe
Gondor

Mar 4 2007, 6:19am

Post #15 of 20 (1509 views)
Shortcut
If he could love Elizabeth with her family [In reply to] Can't Post

He certainly wouldn't mind the odd 'hoo-boy' from time to time. He's very forgiving once he's in love, you know.

Celandine Brandybuck
The Shire

Mar 6 2007, 5:40am

Post #16 of 20 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Mr Darcy [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to go with Darcy as I get seasick... otherwise Captain Wentworth might have been the man for me.

Timely poll, I'm in the middle of rereading all of Austen!

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 6 2007, 3:15pm

Post #17 of 20 (1513 views)
Shortcut
*pounce* [In reply to] Can't Post

*hugs stuffing out of Cel*

*apologizes, picks up stuffing and hands back*

Good to see you in the new digs!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 6 2007, 7:02pm

Post #18 of 20 (1554 views)
Shortcut
I chose Colonel Brandon. [In reply to] Can't Post

But only because my crush on Alan Rickman is bigger than my crush on Colin Firth.

Although Jeremy Northam and Ciaran Hinds are more than passable, too...

*sigh*

Tinuviel

Mar 2 2008, 5:45pm

Post #19 of 20 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Darcy [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush
He's really irreproachable))! I think Mattew is more suitable, because he had given rise to my sympathy more than Colin. Mattew really looks like poor enamoured of Lizzie=)
Other characters are interesting too, but only Mr. Darcy "had bewitched my soul"=)) Blush

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 14 2014, 3:13pm

Post #20 of 20 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Well I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like many of these options but my ideal man would be a genuine Willoughby. Not a liar and a cheat. That would be my perfect guy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.