Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Positive Comments Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kareniel
Lorien

Jun 17 2013, 11:53am

Post #1 of 75 (1206 views)
Shortcut
The Positive Comments Thread Can't Post

I like to think positively. Life becomes more exciting and rife with potential if you avoid setting negative obstacles in your attitudes and aspirations. And the things you love shine more brightly if you don't nitpick at them. So, because a saddening weight of negativity creeps into most of the threads on this page, I have initiated this thread for positive comments about PJ's Middle-earth films in general or The Hobbit films in particular. Sincere compliments only, please! No ironic, grudging, smirking, or left-handed ones.

I will begin. I love AUJ and am pretty sure DOS will be even better! Deeper in tone and more compelling. I am so grateful these films are being made today, when special effects, CGI, red cameras, green screens, etc. are advancing and being used to generate realism into fantastic scenes. And I'm so happy the films are being made by PJ, who bravely uses new technology to take us into the Middle-earth he obviously loves. This has been and continues to be an exciting time in cinematic history for the Middle-earth films to be made, and I'm delighted to be part of PJ's expedition into the shimmering, detailed, sweeping realms he has created. (Oh, and I adore all the elves!)

Okay, Tornadoes. Who's next?

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jun 17 2013, 12:28pm

Post #2 of 75 (640 views)
Shortcut
What I think I love most about AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that in this era of sarcastic cynicism, it didn't seem to have either one of those characteristics. It instead gave us a fun and exiting adventure with a lot of heart. Too many big movies today feel cold and calculated, but AUJ made me feel all warm and fuzzy.Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 12:34pm

Post #3 of 75 (632 views)
Shortcut
What I love most about The Hobbit so far is the acting [In reply to] Can't Post

I think both the casting and acting are a joy to watch, particularly in the case of Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, and also Balin and a few of the other Dwarves.

I also like the visuals the colours and the gorgeous scenery as well as the music.

Really looking forward to DoS, and the introduction of Beorn and Smaug, and the expansion of the Thranduil character, who looks terrific in both AUJ and the trailer for DoS.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 17 2013, 12:36pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 12:39pm

Post #4 of 75 (607 views)
Shortcut
Characters and Places [In reply to] Can't Post

What I love most about PJ's MIddle Earth movies is that the cast really bring my beloved TOlkien characters to life on the screen for me, and I get to see all the gorgeous places in Middle Earth in them. And the trailer for DoS makes me think I will be getting more of the same! I like what I have seen of my favorite characters from AUJ (Balin, Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin) and it looks like DoS will be continuing this streak with its casting of Thranduil, and with the design of Smaug. And the glimpses of the new places we will be seeing (esp. Dale, Laketown, and the Woodland Realm) all make me want to see more.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 12:59pm

Post #5 of 75 (584 views)
Shortcut
For me, I bliss out on the smorgasbord of colorful characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm grateful to Peter Jackson for once again using Middle Earth as a showcase for some wonderful new talents. The characters provide my gateway into the story and for the most part easily engage my interest, affection, admiration or dread. Even when a character's depiction departs from Tolkein or my personal image of them, there are such a plethora to enjoy (or ogle, let's be honest). From just watching the adventure unfold to discovering the subtlest embellishments created by the actors themselves, few movies provide such a rich gallery of characters! Smile

Noria
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 1:02pm

Post #6 of 75 (572 views)
Shortcut
I'll play [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I will begin. I love AUJ and am pretty sure DOS will be even better! Deeper in tone and more compelling. I am so grateful these films are being made today, when special effects, CGI, red cameras, green screens, etc. are advancing and being used to generate realism into fantastic scenes. And I'm so happy the films are being made by PJ, who bravely uses new technology to take us into the Middle-earth he obviously loves. This has been and continues to be an exciting time in cinematic history for the Middle-earth films to be made, and I'm delighted to be part of PJ's expedition into the shimmering, detailed, sweeping realms he has created. (Oh, and I adore all the elves!)

I agree with all of this, except I prefer Hobbits to Elves.Wink

There are elements of all four of PJ's Middle Earth movies with which I have issues but overall I adore them. In my mind, these movies are not the books but are alternate versions of the stories, versions which I enjoy tremendously.

The recreation of Middle Earth was mind-blowing and possibly my favourite aspect of the movies, with so much detail in both foreground and background. They were obviously made with great love and care, they are beautiful to the eye and ear and evoke a whole range of emotions. On top of that is the wonderful score.

IMO these movies were for the most part very well cast and there are some fine performances. I like how some of the characters have been more fleshed out, some in ways that to my mind make them rather more interesting than the sketchy or archetypical characters of the books. I love the Dwarves of AUJ; even those who are basically background characters add to the whole with their performances. I found Aragorn and Boromir more interesting in the movies, though their depictions in the book work fine in the book.

In AUJ I somewhat I missed the so-called more realistic tone of LotR but IMO that tone would not be suitable at all to The Hobbit, which is more whimsical and much less grounded in reality that the book trilogy. I have come to believe that the tone of PJ's Hobbit is a not unsuccessful attempt to capture some of Hobbit's tone in a way that modern audiences can appreciate.

I'm very glad that PJ etc. decided to include the story of the White Council, both to explain the Gandalf's absences and to expand the story. More Middle Earth is always good, IMO.

I've more or less abandoned another Tolkien discussion board because of all the negativity. People are entitled to express their opinions but now its always the same old and a bit boring. So thanks for this thread Karenial.

(This post was edited by Noria on Jun 17 2013, 1:12pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 1:10pm

Post #7 of 75 (569 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you absolutely. Negativity and cynicism are far too destructive, and I'm seeing more and more comments in here from people who really enjoyed AUJ and the new trailer - until they read the threads here and 'discovered' all the things that were supposedly wrong with it.

I really enjoyed AUJ - still enjoy it in DVD form - and am so looking forward to DOS. It's the sheer visual beauty that catches me most. Every scene is like a moving book illustration and I'm spellbound by it and in awe of the technical wizardry that produces it - and of the artists who are working their socks off behind the scenes to make the magic happen. Then there's the acting, the storytelling..... It's good to have something to celebrate, and to look forward to.

emre43
Lorien

Jun 17 2013, 1:11pm

Post #8 of 75 (568 views)
Shortcut
What I like about PJ's Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

is that he has made it a more adult version of Tolkien's book. I wouldn't have seen it if it was anything like Tolkien had written it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 1:30pm

Post #9 of 75 (556 views)
Shortcut
Love returning to Middle Earth! [In reply to] Can't Post

I find that SPJ's vision is one I get a lot of meaning from, so the fleshing out of TH text has been surprisingly meaningful for me - much more than I expected. I really was not that excited about AUJ coming out because as much as I love the book I could not picture how he was going to add depth to the somewhat scant characterizations, particularly Thorin. I was very pleasantly surprised (being very restrained here BTW) by how he has taken a bit of a cipher and transformed it into someone we will actually care about.

And the unique designs to make all the Dwarves stand out is fantastic. I know we see changes to Bilbo's arc, but I think its to make the story have more impact in the end - which as an adaptation I think will work, particularly over 3 films. (I'm personally thrilled with the 3-film split because I would not have liked seeing Thranduil in the position of being a 'bad' resolution that will need some sort of redress, and I think in a 2-film series the Barrels out of Bond would have been an ending scene; I like the Elvenking's portion of the tale to be part of the adventure (he's still Good People) and not a climax point. And of course for me more Middle Earth id better than less. Angelic

Thanks for the thread Kareniel! I do like some debate but its also fun to just share the thoughts that make us happy. Heart

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 1:36pm

Post #10 of 75 (534 views)
Shortcut
I just want to watch something fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and that's exactly what I get out of PJ's trilogies. Beyond the nitpicking, it's just a fun story. Tolkien may have dedicated himself to his story...but I don't. I can just enjoy it for what it is- a story.

"Go on. Walk on. You must be destroyed."

"Good boy! That's the spirit! Bring my miserable line to an end. Up, up! Come, Scientist, destroy me! Destroy your creation! Come!"

~Frankenstein

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 2:04pm

Post #11 of 75 (517 views)
Shortcut
Me too Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

The story was really well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I really liked the fact that the 13 dwarves were given different styles and are unique. that is something I had not considered when the movie was in the making: that it would be a good idea to give them different appearances. Good move on SPJ's part I think.

Also. The acting. It's been just great. And it's great to hear a natural English accent with both Armitage and Freeman. Both are just terrific in their roles and the development of those two and their relationship is already a strong one. The changes that SPJ made to the story I think enhanced these two and brought them together more quickly. Thorin's character to me is a much deeper character already than the Thorin in the book. I really like PJ's Thorin a lot. Armitage in the role certainly enhaces this. Freeman's Bilbo also is just outstanding. He truly is a wonderful actor and he has nailed the Bilbo character to a tee.

Riddles in the dark. What can we say? I have waited my whole life to see that on the big screen and it delivered thanks to Andy, Martin and PJ. Terrific scene.

Goblin town. I loved it. Just loved it. I loved seeing the little Goblin houses up on the sides of the walls. I loved all the walkways etc inside there.

Dol Guldor. Glad for the addition to the story. It ties it very well to LOTR as it should. I really like the art rendering here of that whole fortress.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 2:18pm

Post #12 of 75 (505 views)
Shortcut
MF and GMcT [In reply to] Can't Post

I really can't say enough how much MF and Graham McTavish did a fantastic job with their roles aswell. I love them all but those two do stand out!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 3:01pm

Post #13 of 75 (524 views)
Shortcut
For such a negative person like me its really hard to be positive. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I try to work on it. Not big success but I still try.

I loved the first Hobbit movie especially characters, mainly Bilbo and Thorin, places and storyline.
I also loved the cast. I think PJ and his team are great they always choose such actors who fit for the roles so perfectly. Martin Freeman - Bilbo, an excellent cast choice....etc.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 3:08pm

Post #14 of 75 (503 views)
Shortcut
Casting [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree totally Symb. The casting really is terrific. Freeman and Armitage are both outstanding in their roles and work well together. Jimmy Nesbitt's Bofur is also just adorable. I love him. I really hope he's the one that finds Bilbo after the BoT5A and brings him back to the tent with Gandalf and Thorin. I love McTavish as well. As well as Ken Stott. All really super actors and I think using British and Irish actors really helped those roles a huge amount. Number one the accents are natural and fit. Also I really like the fact that British actors in general are trained very well and due to their theatre experience seem to just be top notch. I wish we had the same kind of trained actors here in the States instead of pretty faces on the screen that can't act their way out of a paper bag sometimes. (not all of them but I think you get my drift).

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jun 17 2013, 3:11pm

Post #15 of 75 (479 views)
Shortcut
PJ's Hobbit is a treat. [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite very minor flaws (which are frequently and excessively pointed out on this board) I defy anyone to say that scenes like the Unexpected Party and Riddles in the Dark are not near flawless and faithful interpretations of Tolkien's work. The excellent performances of Freeman, McKellen, and Armitage will provide a rock solid foundation for the rest of the trilogy.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 3:23pm

Post #16 of 75 (479 views)
Shortcut
'Being very restrained here' [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I agree with you completely. And it's probably because I didn't have any expectations for the film before it came out, expecting it to be a children's book with Tolkien's 'garden gnomes' (as I've said before) that I enjoyed it so much, and have had to see it again and again.

In Reply To
I really was not that excited about AUJ coming out because as much as I love the book I could not picture how he was going to add depth to the somewhat scant characterizations, particularly Thorin. I was very pleasantly surprised (being very restrained here BTW) by how he has taken a bit of a cipher and transformed it into someone we will actually care about.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 17 2013, 3:42pm

Post #17 of 75 (456 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah! A positive thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bless you, Kareniel!

I, too, love AUJ, despite some things I found not so much to my liking, overall the good by far outweighed the objectionable. So, in a nutshell (otherwise I could go ever on), some of the main things I loved about AUJ:

1. The dwarves - unbelievably, PJ and crew have made them into real individuals who I care about. All the actors who play them are fantastic in their roles, particularly RA as Thorin, JN as Bofur and KS as Balin. I never, having read the book so many times, thought I'd fall in love with these dwarves!
2. Bilbo - Martin Freeman is spot on perfect. I couldn't have wished for a better Baggins.
3. So much of the special effects have improved from years ago, and this was particularly noteworthy for me in the flight of the eagles, which just took my breath away.
4. I love the backstory that is given at the beginning of the film. It explains in such a clear way exactly why the dwarves are going on this quest and to a great extent who they are as a people, and explains Thorin's drive to find the mountain again along with the Arkenstone.
5. I'm so glad PJ got back in the director's chair for this one. That meant, for me, that the continuity with the LOTR films will be consistent. And I love his vision of Middle-earth. I also loved the 48fps technology! In 3D this was spectacular!
6. I'm sure the next two films will take us on quite an emotional journey, particularly the last one. If anyone can give a movie heart, it's PJ, and I am stocking up on kleenex tissues for the ending of TABA. I'm so looking forward to the next two films!! I feel like I'm at a feast and can't stop eating, everything tastes so good (even with having to spit out a cherry pit or two in the process). Bring it on!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 4:00pm

Post #18 of 75 (429 views)
Shortcut
This is Refreshing and Fun [In reply to] Can't Post

And delightful I think I'll watch AUJ again after lunch. My favorite thing about AUJ is the joy in it. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and you can tell that by how much everyone throws himself into his role. The acting is spot on. And the casting -- but PJ has always been good at that.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 4:12pm

Post #19 of 75 (426 views)
Shortcut
Count our Blessings! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. John Howe and Alan Lee
who better? to be Art Designers.

2. PJ & Andy. Have spent more time together
with KK, etc.
Who better to be the two main directors?

3. Howard Shore..knows MiddleEarth
from a Musical standpoint more completely
than anyone else?

4. David Salo for Elvish Translations & pronounciation.

5. Andrew Lesnie, for Lens, and helping PJ's Eyes?

6. New Zealand is MiddleEarth, nothing comes Close and everything is CLOSE!

7. Computer technology...Yes! gets Better everyday!

8. Crew and Extras...invest a Party Atmosphere, with a Really serious commitment to what ends up on Screen.

9. Anything, WETA! ...Anyone in Special Effects/ Sculpture.. jus' can't keep UP!

10. Tolkien's Fans...WE..are the ONEzz who make this Engine GO!..

Pat yourselves on the Back,
for Bomby

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 4:13pm

Post #20 of 75 (425 views)
Shortcut
Yay! A thread that makes sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

I adored AUJ for everything that it was. The familiarity of the music at the beginning brought tears to my eyes. I loved the humour, because it made my tiny little cousins giggle. The costumes and weaponry were beautifully designed; they seemed to come straight out of Tolkien Legendarium; Orcrist was so slim and silvery that when I first saw it, echoes of Gondolin and its majesty pervaded through my mind. The scene at Bag End filled me with mirth and I joined right in when the dwarves sang "chip the glasses". I became attached to the dwarves, especially Balin and Thorin. The fact that certain bits were almost verbatim, like the "Good morning" speech and the story of the invention of golf. Riddles in the Dark was an amazing scene, and Gollum never ceases to entertain. There were so many evocative moments that I really felt as if I were in Middle-earth (The dwarf costume might have had a hand in that Tongue).

But mostly, I loved AUJ because everything that embodies Tolkien has made me who I am. And that is worth fighting for.

Wait, was all that way to poetic and cheesy?
If so, that's what I was going for.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale!?"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 4:31pm

Post #21 of 75 (399 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for appreciating my restraint Glorfindela! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I agree with you completely. And it's probably because I didn't have any expectations for the film before it came out, expecting it to be a children's book with Tolkien's 'garden gnomes' (as I've said before) that I enjoyed it so much, and have had to see it again and again. That's a great point - I had very low (actually was scared to see) LOTR, so maybe that's a small part to of why I have been so unexpectedly happy. As a huge fan of Dune for as many years of Tolkien fandom, that's a work that has never been done to any close level of satisfaction...so I really do appreciate the adaptation and investment in these films that has been made. But its not just that I am a cheap date as far as films go - don't want to say I am thankful for any adaptation because that is inaccurate - but I see a lot of heart in the franchise. Which means a lot.

In Reply To

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 4:42pm

Post #22 of 75 (395 views)
Shortcut
Love Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings (both the books and movies) changed my life. My life wasn't bad mind you before but looking back I was missing something. My dads mom had passed away in October of 2000 and when the movies started the following year they kept me positive. It was the great story and characters that pulled me in hard. The thing I think I love the most is people doing good because its the right to do even if it wasn't the easy thing to do. I also loved that it shows in the end if you do good you will be rewarded. All of this helped fill a bit of a whole and has allowed me a place to hide when stresses are high. So because of my Mom I found this place and have been in love with it for over a decade.

The Lord of the Rings movies are just so well done. The books literally leap from page to screen with all the good things of the books and more. Of course there are some bumps but as a whole it's a great ride. What I loved about AUJ was I felt the same way about what I was seeing. It felt like the book jumped from page to screen. AUJ felt like the The Hobbit the way The Lord of the Rings felt like The Lord of the Rings. Of course there are things I don't care for I'd prefer Bolg to Azog to stay true to that, less snot, bird poop, a little less crazy falling, and a reference to the Balrog, there is just so much good in AUJ though because it feels like the same world but a little bit more fantastical which is how the books feel compared to each other. I love the score for the movies as well. It's so relaxing and it makes for an even great reading experience.

I'm glad to be back in Middle-earth. I think Jackson has another winner on his hands even if it doesn't get the Oscar love it should. I think DoS is going to be an even better movie than AUJ and start to really blend the two stories in a way that will make for heck of a at home movie experience when watching all six films.

That's a long ramble that doesn't make sense I'm sure. lol

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 5:11pm

Post #23 of 75 (391 views)
Shortcut
I think it's fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and we have fun watching it. Can't wait to see Sherlock and Joh- I mean, Smaug and Bilbo meet up ;) Too cool.

"Good boy! That's the spirit! Bring my miserable line to an end. Up, up! Come, Scientist, destroy me! Destroy your creation! Come!"

~Frankenstein

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 17 2013, 5:17pm

Post #24 of 75 (382 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just see Bilbo running up the cavern tunnel after his little riddle conversation with Smaug and Smaug breathing fire up the tunnel: "This is my note. That's what dragons do don't they? Leave a note?" Wink

bborchar
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 5:19pm

Post #25 of 75 (374 views)
Shortcut
It would be hilarious... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if Smaug started deducing stuff about Bilbo.

~Frankenstein

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.