Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 7:43pm

Post #1 of 12 (140 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Is it Thursday again? Already? Well, then, it's time for the Walk to Rivendell, the once-a-week opportunity for TORnFolk to track the distance we've gone in Middle Earth with all of our walking, swimming, biking, strength training, gardening, house cleaning and other such physical activity on this Earth. So, how's it going?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 101.24
Cumulative miles: 14666.04
Miles along the journey: 1004.74
Miles out of the Lonely Mountain: 37.74

We're about to leave the company of the Elvenking and his people as they head for home and we go around Mirkwood with Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn. You may notice that our progress through Middle Earth is rather accelerated now (or not; maybe I'm just wonkish about statistics!). Before the Battle of Five Armies, I divided our weekly mileages by 15 (13 Dwarves, 1 Wizard and 1 Hobbit) to reflect the number of travelers our miles covered. Now, the miles we contribute each week are divvied up between just the three travelers, so we'll be making quicker progress.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 5
Cumulative miles: 622
Goal: There and Back Again!

Well, that was fun - exhausting, but fun. Five National Parks, three sets of relatives, bits of walking here and there... And we're almost recovered from all that travel. Just in time for our state to catch fire. again. sigh.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 13
Cumulative miles: 606
Goal: Group Challenge

Beamer loves swimming. A lot. So much so, she was doing laps in hotel pools while her brother splashed around trying to race her. Cool

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jun 14 2013, 12:06am

Post #2 of 12 (69 views)
Shortcut
better weather this week, yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back from vacation! It's sounds like you had a great time. Cool

I had much better weather this weeks, sun shine nearly every day except for yesterday (we got an icky thunderstorm that kept me indoors). I was able to walk or bike nearly everyday!

Miles covered this week: 16.4
Cumulative Miles: 179.17

We've (finally) put the midgewater marshes behind us, and Weathertop can be seen looming in the distance.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2013, 2:29am

Post #3 of 12 (76 views)
Shortcut
It's been a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

My old laptop died, and I had to get a new one, and figure out how to transfer the spreadsheet in which I track my miles to it. WHich took me a bit of time to get around to.

All done, now, and I can report a whopping 70 miles! (In the past 3 weeks...) Most notably, I taught my son, 8, to ride a bike and then took him and his brother on a long bike ride on a local bike trail 2 weekends ago. Also I went on a nice hike with my two sisters and my dog last weekend. And I'm still going to the gym 2-3 times/week, and still walking my dog most days, as well.

This means that on my personal journey to the Lonely Mountain, I just spent the night at the Eagles' Eyrie, after all of the goblin-related unpleasantness. I am sure the worst it behind me.Wink

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 14 2013, 8:11am

Post #4 of 12 (64 views)
Shortcut
Moving along... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you had a great - if exhausting - vacation! Do you feel that you need a holiday from your holiday now? Tongue

Here, the weather is still alternating between really nice and abysmally bad, but at least it is no longer cold and there is some sunshine, occasionally. We even had a few of our very own strawberries, finally - everything seems to be late this year.

Miles covered this week: 41
Cumulative miles: 719

Still Mirkwood... Did I mention that I *hate* spiders?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17 2013, 2:22am

Post #5 of 12 (47 views)
Shortcut
There's a light at the end of the... Road! [In reply to] Can't Post

Between finally getting to some yard work done and good walking weather, I'm having fun! But it looks like Bilbo, Gandalf and I are almost home. If all goes well, we come to Bag End and bust up an auction sometimes in the next week or so!

I'm so glad you had a great time on your vacation, Arandiel. Beamer and you both had a great week :D

*waves fondly* Thanks for keeping us on the Road, m'dear... and have a good week everyone!

Miles covered: 20
Cumulated miles: 2107
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 2:58am

Post #6 of 12 (42 views)
Shortcut
And no more midgies - double yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Weather is so tricksy - too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry - it's good to hear you're getting some just-right days to help you down the road!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 3:09am

Post #7 of 12 (44 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Good to see you back, arithmancer! [In reply to] Can't Post

As much of a headache as computer woes can be, I'm glad to hear it was nothing more serious.

It sounds like exercise is a real family affair for you - and what excitement, your son learning to ride a bike with your help! I hope it's the start of many bike rides to come.

And enjoy the view from the Carrock!Wink

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 3:17am

Post #8 of 12 (43 views)
Shortcut
Eww, spiders... [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad you can't squish 'em.

But at least there are strawberries, even if you're dealing with unsettled weather - sounds delicious! (the strawberries, I mean - it's hard to imagine what unsettled weather would taste like...)

We took a few days after our vacation to get back to normal; our weather didn't help, as it was scorching hot. But this weekend was really nice, thunderstorms in the middle of the night and cooler during the day, so we were able to pull weeds and work more on the new compost area while the ground is still damp enough to work.

I hope your weather improves!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2013, 3:21am

Post #9 of 12 (62 views)
Shortcut
I fear for Bilbo's spoons... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he'll be seeing them again. But what are spoons compared to the adventure he's had? And you, too, gramma!

So with that fine weather and your excellent rate of progress, where will you go next?

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jun 17 2013, 2:46pm

Post #10 of 12 (42 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, I'm glad to be rid of those buggers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, but that's the month of June for ya. Now we're dealing with a little heatwave and crazy humidity, but I'll take that rather than rain when I can't get outside at all. A little extra sweat doesn't bother me too much, I just need to bring water with me. But it's supposed to be more mild this week, so yay!

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 19 2013, 1:24am

Post #11 of 12 (35 views)
Shortcut
LATE AGAIN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, man, I hate being this late! Here is last week's mileage that I was able to scrape together. (I think I'm must be part dwarf, and not because of my size--because I'm stubbornly still getting what mileage I can)!

miles last week: 24.2
cumulative: 1193.54
goal: there and back again group challenge!

Let's see what I get this week! Keep up the good work, guys! HeartSly

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jun 21 2013, 12:59am

Post #12 of 12 (45 views)
Shortcut
2 Week catchup [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't post last week because my miles were pitiful. I'm not going to make excuses; I just moving on.

I also don't have any photos to share. I only took family and tombstone pics.

So here's my two week totals:

New miles: 16.16
Total this challenge: 87.91
Grand total: 268.01
Miles to go: 779.09

It seemed like the Midgewater Marshes go on f-o-r-e-v-e-r! I'm finally approaching Weathertop. I need to double my pace for the rest of the year to catch up to the dwarves at the Carrock (400 more miles) before the DoS premiers. I need to do at least 350 just to climb the trees after the warg attack.

I didn't realize the Eagles flew them 64 miles from the "frying pan fire" to the Carrock. I haven't decided what to do about those miles. I may allow myself to do indoor miles for those 64, the Goblintown, and Barrel-riding miles. So far I've done everything outdoors by walking/hiking -- just like I wanted. But now I'm considering adding indoor mileage to my personal challenge for the parts Biblo didn't walk or pony himself. It would help me get on a regular schedule when bad weather intervenes.

Well, I've got another 281 miles to the goblin cave to decide.

Carry on, all!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.