The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'The Desolation of Smaug' Worldwide release dates

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 16 2013, 2:48pm

Post #1 of 16 (1635 views)
Shortcut
'The Desolation of Smaug' Worldwide release dates Can't Post

Not sure if this has been posted or actually news (in case delete this mods). But just in case, here it goes:

http://www.thehobbit.com/releasedates/index.html

Warner Bros. has added a new section to the official film's site detailing the release dates for Film 2 around the world.

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jun 16 2013, 2:54pm)

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 16 2013, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't aware of this! Most helpful Smile

Thranduil

Such is the nature of evil, in time, all foul things come forth.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 4:25pm

Post #3 of 16 (527 views)
Shortcut
Interesting – I bet the Australians won't be very pleased! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also wonder why it will be shown so late in Japan (March 2014).

Thank you for posting the link.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2013, 4:28pm

Post #4 of 16 (439 views)
Shortcut
I don't get it [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't this kind of late release stuff just encourage pirating the film? I know there are probably reasons but with the populations in Asia and the intense interest in Tolkien and both LOTR and The Hobbit I don't understand the late releases of the film. I honestly don't.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Jun 16 2013, 6:10pm

Post #5 of 16 (391 views)
Shortcut
Jeez!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Boxing Day in Australia, AGAIN?! Just as well I plan on seeing the film in Wellington during December! Did the same thing last year for AUJ. Seeing it in the Embassy Theatre for that prestige and all - it was marvellous despite the standard seats being cramped (not good for my knees :( ). Gotta be in quick for one of them Platinum seats next time lol! :p

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 6:49pm

Post #6 of 16 (371 views)
Shortcut
That's just what occurred to me [In reply to] Can't Post

By the time March 2014 comes, most of those who want to see the film in Japan (and China, presumably) will have seen a pirated version, and many of them won't want to bother with the cinema one.

Doesn't sound as though showing it in these markets will be very profitable.

In Reply To
Doesn't this kind of late release stuff just encourage pirating the film? I know there are probably reasons but with the populations in Asia and the intense interest in Tolkien and both LOTR and The Hobbit I don't understand the late releases of the film. I honestly don't.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 16 2013, 6:50pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 7:14pm

Post #7 of 16 (557 views)
Shortcut
LOL Japan [In reply to] Can't Post

Moahunter
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 7:15pm

Post #8 of 16 (353 views)
Shortcut
NZ ahead of the rest of you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of the time difference we will be the first to see it here in NZ. Hopefully the Embassy won't muck up the midnight screening this time around.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2013, 7:21pm

Post #9 of 16 (354 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I don't understand why Australia would be so delayed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could understand it better in countries where they have to do subtitles or dubbing, but in English-speaking countries there isn't that excuse. Does anyone know the reason?

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2013, 9:14pm

Post #10 of 16 (318 views)
Shortcut
My feelings too [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't get the whole delaying it in English speaking countries at all. Even the Asian markets, come on. How long does it take to put subtitles on the film? Film is digital now. It should take no time at all. I dunno. I think it's a boneheaded move honestly.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 16 2013, 9:27pm

Post #11 of 16 (313 views)
Shortcut
The even stranger part... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that AUJ fizzled in Japan during its theatrical release. It made more money in Sweden than Japan! I don't understand why DOS would be released so late, especially due to the poor reception of its predecessor there. I know that not all of the worldwide markets are listed on the site yet, but Japan is the only notable late one so far.

I'm also curious to see when it will be released in China.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2013, 9:28pm

Post #12 of 16 (307 views)
Shortcut
Payback for them claiming pavlova as an Australian invention? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only think that the movie chains want to build on Boxing Day being (so I've heard) a big movie-day for Oz. But a big film like DOS would do well even with a pre-Christmas release - obviously, because that's the target for most of the rest of the world.

I don't get it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2013, 9:41pm

Post #13 of 16 (294 views)
Shortcut
Me either [In reply to] Can't Post

To me you can't look at this film or set of films like others. It has a base viewership already. A huge one. Release them all at the same time or around the same time. It just makes no sense. I really wish WB wasn't distributing the film honestly. I'm glad they got it to where it got made but man their marketing is just terrible.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 17 2013, 1:44am

Post #14 of 16 (262 views)
Shortcut
It's because [In reply to] Can't Post

they like to have at least one big blockbuster released on Boxing Day to cash in on all the teens/tweenies being on holidays and bored after opening all their presents.

Sadly they've chosen The Hobbit movies to do this to. Still I get to get out of the house on Boxing Day, even if I do have to shepherd half a dozen kids and a husband to the cinema. Cool

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Jun 17 2013, 8:21am

Post #15 of 16 (225 views)
Shortcut
Belgium wins [In reply to] Can't Post

Belgium release is the eleventh, one day earlier than NZ, 2 days earlier than the UK and the US and a couple of months earlier than the poor Japanese. Next step is that the premier will be in Brussels...

Moahunter
Rohan

Jun 17 2013, 9:18am

Post #16 of 16 (229 views)
Shortcut
and France/Switzerland(Fr.). [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps its done by Lucky Dip.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.