The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"A dark power has found its way back into the world"

Glum
Bree

Jun 15 2013, 11:18pm

Post #1 of 9 (823 views)
Shortcut
"A dark power has found its way back into the world" Can't Post

I was just wondering - did Radagast say this sentence in the movie? I don't think so, but I don't have the DVD so I can't be 100 % sure. Thank you :)

btw I'm hoping to see more of him in the extended edition. I find it quite funny that so many people feel AUJ was too long and don't understand how a movie like that can have plenty of deleted scenes. As for me, I've always felt that the prologue, the Shire (not the Bag End) and Rivendell have much more to offer ;-)

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 16 2013, 12:01am

Post #2 of 9 (546 views)
Shortcut
No he doesn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was just wondering - did Radagast say this sentence in the movie? I don't think so, but I don't have the DVD so I can't be 100 % sure. Thank you :)

He doesn't say that exact line but that's not to say that in won't be in the EE. The trailer was released way before the movie so chances are it wasn't from the finalised script.

This line is quite similar to it though, which may have replaced it in the final draft of the script - "A dark power dwells there, such as I have never felt before. It is the shadow of an ancient horror".

Similarly the dialogue between Kili and Fili when they first meet Bilbo is different in the trailer to the movie. Smile

Thranduil

Such is the nature of evil, in time, all foul things come forth.

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 16 2013, 12:17am

Post #3 of 9 (513 views)
Shortcut
Forgot to add... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think people, even supposed PJ fans, are being way too hasty to criticise TH. LotR wan't 100% accurate according to the book but that didn't stop it becoming one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time and I'm sure in 10 years time people will look back on TH with the same opinion! I mean, AUJ has grossed over $1 billion so far, that can't be a bad thing! The LotR trilogy are difficult books to read if you haven't got the patience. There's no way you could translate them to film word for word and expect people to enjoy them. There always had to be some tweaking.

The trouble is, becuase of the acclaim that PJ has drawn from the LotR trilogy and the legacy he has created himself, he now has to appeal to the cinema masses rather than the diehard fans and inevitably that will mean making a few changes here and there. As long as the core elements of the story are still in place then I'm a happy man Smile

As for the length, I can't wait for the EE to come out! I love PJ's interpretation of Tolkien! He could turn TH in to 10 movies and I'd watch every one and buy them in every format!

Thranduil

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 10:29am

Post #4 of 9 (369 views)
Shortcut
My sentiments exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

The longer I can stay in PJ's Middle-Earth, the better – and I hope the next film is of the same length or longer than AUJ. (My reaction at the end of AUJ was 'is that it?') Overall, I have enjoyed The Hobbit more than I did LOTR – the casting and acting so far is so much better than it was for LOTR, which was carried by Sir Ian McKellen, I feel. That is the most important element for me.

In Reply To
As long as the core elements of the story are still in place then I'm a happy man Smile

As for the length, I can't wait for the EE to come out! I love PJ's interpretation of Tolkien! He could turn TH in to 10 movies and I'd watch every one and buy them in every format!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jun 16 2013, 11:42am

Post #5 of 9 (376 views)
Shortcut
Here's the difference: [In reply to] Can't Post

Trailer Radagast: A dark power has found it's way back into the world...

Movie Radagast: I don't understand why it's not working. It's not as if it's witchcraft-witchcraft, oh but it is....a dark, and powerful, magic....

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 16 2013, 2:12pm

Post #6 of 9 (325 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Overall, I have enjoyed The Hobbit more than I did LOTR – the casting and acting so far is so much better than it was for LOTR, which was carried by Sir Ian McKellen, I feel. That is the most important element for me

One thing I do like about PJ though is his eye for unknown actors. Obviously you have the big names in there, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, etc. but even in LotR, he took a huge gamble on Orlando Bloom giving him his first job straight out of acting school. Now he's a Hollywood name!

Look at TH cast, all of them were practically unknown to worldwide audiences before. I'm sure you'll agree, coming from England, that it's nice to finally see James Nesbitt and Richard Armitage recognised on the big screen!

Thranduil

(This post was edited by Thranduil05 on Jun 16 2013, 2:12pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 2:28pm

Post #7 of 9 (331 views)
Shortcut
It was probably a trailer-only line, which we saw a few of for the LOTR trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

They usually get the cast to record a few simplified lines when they're doing ADR, so they can use them in the trailer. You can hear a few of these from Gandalf over the LOTR trailers (e.g. 'the Ring must be destroyed!')

Of course, some lines ('even the smallest person can change the course of the future...') should have remained trailer-exclusive! :P

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 3:26pm

Post #8 of 9 (313 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

ditto everything you said

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 16 2013, 4:18pm

Post #9 of 9 (307 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Sir Ian McKellen wasn't that well known in Britain before LOTR, apart from among discerning theatre buffs, etc. I believe I did see Orlando Bloom once in something on TV before LOTR, so he wasn't straight out of acting school, but nonetheless he was unknown even in the UK. James Nesbitt has been in many TV programmes before The Hobbit, and Ken Stott is also quite well known, both because of his theatre career and for his TV work (quite a dark detective series).

I actually 'discovered' Richard Armitage when seeing The Hobbit. That's probably because I don't generally go for period dramas, comedies or things like Robin Hood, etc. I did see him in Spooks, but to me that series was generally unremarkable – not bad, but nothing to get worked up about.

I think PJ made some brilliant casting decisions for The Hobbit – better so than for LOTR. I didn't particularly like the choice of actors for LOTR in some cases, and thought the acting was somewhat uneven, to say the least. However, it was something one could ignore because the whole spectacle was so incredible.

In Reply To
One thing I do like about PJ though is his eye for unknown actors. Obviously you have the big names in there, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, etc. but even in LotR, he took a huge gamble on Orlando Bloom giving him his first job straight out of acting school. Now he's a Hollywood name!

Look at TH cast, all of them were practically unknown to worldwide audiences before. I'm sure you'll agree, coming from England, that it's nice to finally see James Nesbitt and Richard Armitage recognised on the big screen!

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 16 2013, 4:20pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.