Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How were you introduced to Tolkien and his writings/the LOTR franchise?

Poll: How were you introduced to Tolkien and his writings/the LOTR franchise?
Through Reading The Hobbit
Through Reading LOTR
Through reading The Silmarillion (that was brave)
Reading some of his other writing
School/College Project
Recomendation from friend/family
Through TORn
Watching PJ's LOTR Trilogy
I was introduced as a child/teenager
I was introduced as a Adult
I was introduced by my Parents
Watching The Hobbit: AUJ
Ralph Bakski's '78 LOTR Film
One of the Middle Earth Video Games
Through reading simialr books
The Rankin-Bass TV movies of The Hobbit and ROTK
Other adaption of Tolkien's work
I honestly can't remember
Other Reason
View Results (166 votes)

malickfan
Rohan

Jun 15 2013, 10:29pm

Views: 527
Shortcut
How were you introduced to Tolkien and his writings/the LOTR franchise? Can't Post

There has been alot of discussion recently about the Merits of The Hobbit film versus the book/ PJ's LOTR films, and whilst I won't go into that debate here, I thought it raised an interesting point-whether more people on This Site discovered the film franchise through the new film or the old trilogy, or were book firsters anyway, and what effect they have on peoples impression of 'Tolkien'. I thought it would be
inresting to discuss how we each found out about Tolkien's writing, and whether the age and circumstances of our first reads of his works have had any lasting effect on our impressions of the story, at the very least It'll make a nice break from the arguments about Azog and CGI...

As for me though I have very vague memories of being read The Hobbit in school (to this day my visualisations of the book lay much closer to The Rankin Bass version, and I maintain the 77 Gollum is much creepier) I'm not entirely sure whether this predated the release of The LOTR trilogy or not. My 'proper' introduction came at Christmas 2002 when I got a VHS of Fellowship (after having to endure a solid year of discussion, taunts and games about a 'really cool best film ever' (I'm paraprasing here, It was a decade ago and I was 10) that I heard all about, but had been refused the chance to see by my parents. Anyway rambling/mushy/boring tory cut short I was blown away, and instantly hooked, watching the film four or five times within the space of five days, later having a similar reaction to the later films (though not AUJ sadly...), buring out several VHS tapes inthe process.

I put off reading the rather large looking book for several years, but eventually took the plunge when I turned 15, needless to say I was hooked again, captivated by the scope and language only hinted at in the films (though I couldn't help but wonder, and still do Who the Heck is This Tom Bombadil bloke anyway?) I have gradually increased my love of all things Tolkien, and although (somewhat ironically) I haven't got quite the love for the trilogy I did have (I sorta turned into a bit of a purist in reverse) they still rank amongt my faves, and whatever my issues they sparked my love of cinema and interest in Reading.

Cheers PJ.

How about you? How and when did it happen? What made you pick up that book about odd little hobbits? More importantly can you be bothered to explain?

Subject User Time
How were you introduced to Tolkien and his writings/the LOTR franchise? malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jun 15 2013, 10:29pm
    I have to vote 'can't remember' Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jun 15 2013, 11:16pm
    Read LOTR first Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 15 2013, 11:26pm
        A weekend!? Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 15 2013, 11:32pm
            Think I was either 20 or 21 Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 15 2013, 11:37pm
                This is great advice, lol. Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 15 2013, 11:47pm
    It would have been Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Jun 15 2013, 11:30pm
    I first encounted Tolkien's writings in fourth grade Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 15 2013, 11:55pm
    I thought hobbits were insects Starling Send a private message to Starling Jun 16 2013, 12:36am
    I read The Hobbit when I was nine demnation Send a private message to demnation Jun 16 2013, 12:53am
    It happened in stages. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jun 16 2013, 12:53am
        That needs to be a t-shirt: Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jun 16 2013, 1:05am
            Lol! Starling Send a private message to Starling Jun 16 2013, 2:38am
        Mine also went in stages. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jun 16 2013, 1:21am
        My experience was similar joec_34 Send a private message to joec_34 Jun 17 2013, 9:00pm
    The Deplorable Cultus, I think. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jun 16 2013, 5:36am
    It would have to have been in the early 1980s . . . Alcarcalime Send a private message to Alcarcalime Jun 16 2013, 8:12am
        Grammar school Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jun 16 2013, 8:53am
    I was introduced as a child, through my sister and Mum DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 16 2013, 9:04am
    I read lots of books when I was very young... FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Jun 16 2013, 10:39am
    My first taste of Tolkien's world was The Hobbit book... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Jun 16 2013, 12:46pm
    by my 9th grade English teacher Annael Send a private message to Annael Jun 16 2013, 5:53pm
        Why is it I read The Silmarillion aged 16 and got it completely... malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jun 16 2013, 6:24pm
            Same age, same reaction CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 16 2013, 6:42pm
                well Annael Send a private message to Annael Jun 17 2013, 3:00pm
                    I liked Dune a lot too. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jun 17 2013, 3:20pm
                        Add me to the Dune fan list Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jun 17 2013, 6:02pm
                    Also liked Dune Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jun 17 2013, 6:09pm
    I'm not sure whether I can really class myself as a book firster because... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jun 16 2013, 9:56pm
    The Hobbit dubulous Send a private message to dubulous Jun 16 2013, 10:01pm
    It seemed like everyone I knew had seen the movies and loved them all. Cuwen Maegmacil Send a private message to Cuwen Maegmacil Jun 16 2013, 11:45pm
    First read the hobbit imin Send a private message to imin Jun 16 2013, 11:59pm
    Hobbit, as a young girl arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jun 17 2013, 1:18pm
    Coverless remnants a dime each. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 17 2013, 2:42pm
    Introduction sam90 Send a private message to sam90 Jun 17 2013, 8:03pm
    Through PJ Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jun 17 2013, 8:19pm
    Back in 1969 Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jun 18 2013, 7:54pm
        On my vacation in Branson Missouri RachellovesLOTR Send a private message to RachellovesLOTR Jun 18 2013, 11:54pm
    Saw the movie of FotR RangerLady23 Send a private message to RangerLady23 Jun 20 2013, 4:23pm
    Rankin/Bass Hobbit Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Jun 21 2013, 5:23am
    I started Lothwen Send a private message to Lothwen Jun 21 2013, 5:49am
    HS english class project mawguy Send a private message to mawguy Jun 27 2013, 10:43pm
    In all honesty ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Jul 9 2013, 12:54am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.