Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
do you prefer the films or book part 2.
Poll: do you prefer the films or book part 2.
more like the book
less like the book
happy in the middle
View Results (26 votes)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 6:26pm

Post #1 of 6 (192 views)
Shortcut
do you prefer the films or book part 2. Can't Post

almost 90% of you prefer the books. phew. but we love the films of course on there own merit.

based on a the Peter Jackson film versions you have seen so far and the upcoming adapations would you prefer the storyline/events to be more like the book, less like the book, or happy in the middle?

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 6 (124 views)
Shortcut
A bit of both, and neither if that make sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always loved The Hobbit as a standalone children's story, but I also love PJ's LOTR trilogy, and the deeper mythology Tolkien created in his later works, so in a happy medium I would like the story to proceed in a simailr manner to his LOTR film trilogy, whilst respecting the tone and core story of the book, I realise having both isn't possible (heck he's pretty much proved he isn't doing that...)...but I am hoping the scenes in Mirkwood stick as close to the book as possible-the dissapearing campfires, Bilbo saving the dwarves from the spiders, the Elven Guard getting drunk, Legolas and Tauriel only being a extension of the main story not a seperate arc-The mrkwood and Smaug Scenes to me are the most iconic after riddles and I don't wan to be changed to be more 'cinematic; when it isn't necessary, unfortunately everything we have seen and heard thus far has indicated all of these have been changed.

A part of me would actually quite like to see Bilbo get knocked unconscious and the ring reduced to a simple tool in the film as well (yes it would't really work on screen but hey I love the hobbit book for what it is, not what it may have become), but I realise this wouldn't be very dramatic, and probably quite anticlimatic on screen. On the other hand I hope Smaug's death, Dain's late appearance in the story (and the rumours about the armoured Boar coming true) and the Assault on Dol Goldur are pumped up and changed to be more dramatic.

In short my feelings are just as confused and bloated as the first film turned out to be- i would like the film to be closer in techinical, 'action scene' and pacing terms to PJ's LOTR trilogy, but in terms of tone and spirit closer to the book (with more of the dialogue).

Six months down the line and I still can't figure out how I feel about AUJ...

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2013, 2:52am

Post #3 of 6 (102 views)
Shortcut
Happy in the Middle [In reply to] Can't Post

For me Jackson and Co.'s adaptations have done a great job bringing the world of Middle Earth and the characters of LotR and The Hobbit to life in exciting, beautifully made films. I love them for that, and thus trust that departures from or additions to the events and characters of the books that have occured, or will occur, in these movies, contribute to bringing this about. So I'm happy with what I have seen so far, and hopeful I will continue to be in the final two movies of "The Hobbit".

Sam20
Lorien

Jun 14 2013, 11:39pm

Post #4 of 6 (101 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy in the Middle. It is a bit too late to be ''more like the book'' now that part one is released and obviously not aimed in this direction. A darker tone and a greater focus on the ominous background is very interesting. After the creation of LOTR, The Hobbit was caught in a greater plot and though the book is still a light tale to read, the readers are aware of a storm brewing in the background. The films seems to want to exploit that in it's maximum. Of course, Peter Jackson wants action packed and intense movies to tie with is adaption of LOTR.

Wait and see for DoS. But I think the general tone of these adaptations in a trilogy have already been established and won't change it's course.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jun 14 2013, 11:41pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 15 2013, 12:19am

Post #5 of 6 (89 views)
Shortcut
more like th ebook [In reply to] Can't Post

there are no rules in this poll, its fantasy, in a perfect world sort of thing

so if you wanted bombadil in the movies it would happen if you chose more like th ebook!

dubulous
Rohan

Jun 15 2013, 6:57pm

Post #6 of 6 (95 views)
Shortcut
The books willl always come first... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I also love the movies a great deal on their own merit. Even though I don't always agree with all of the book to movie changes I'm generally very happy in the middle. The movies are, after all, just adaptations.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.