Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
why not use the eagles?

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 12 2013, 9:30pm

Post #1 of 18 (404 views)
Shortcut
why not use the eagles? Can't Post

ok weve had this discussion a million times..but why not put the ring on the ring on theeagles claw, then he would be invisible and he could fly all the way to mordor?

no lol?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 12:30am

Post #2 of 18 (222 views)
Shortcut
Even if it could fit [In reply to] Can't Post

wouldn't the eagle be susceptible to the Ring's influence?

Even Gandalf didn't trust himself with it.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jun 13 2013, 1:15am

Post #3 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he would [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming the Eagles are either mortal animals or Maiar spirits in animal form, they would be susceptible to the Ring and could be corrupted. Also, the Nazgul can sense the presence of the Ring and could pursue an Eagle while riding on their fell beasts. So that method wouldn't be any safer than the one used by Frodo.

dik-dik
Lorien

Jun 13 2013, 8:13am

Post #4 of 18 (182 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention the big question about if they would not fail in the last moment, [In reply to] Can't Post

just before throwing the Ring into the fire.

I agree with you and the poster above. Even if an Eagle were willing to do this (which I doubt - they only seem to keep watch and lend aid in need, not to carry out big tasks), they'd be very conspicuous and an easy target for Sauron's servants stationed around Mt Doom (considering they didn't want to risk the yew bows of the woodsmen in The Hobbit...). Then there's the question of whether they'd squeeze through the doorway, and resist the final temptation in the very heart of Sauron's realm.
Not sure if the Ring could be safely borne on a talon, either - I imagine it would be either too small to pull it on a talon, or too dangerously close to falling if on a claw, or causing a tremendous cramp if in a tightly squeezed 'fist' of talons, and on such a long journey. Wink

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 8:38am

Post #5 of 18 (170 views)
Shortcut
Completely off topic, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I just noticed your Paul Eddington quote and I like it very much. What a nice man he was.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 2:28pm

Post #6 of 18 (150 views)
Shortcut
"In place of a Dark Lord you would have a...bird" // [In reply to] Can't Post

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 3:31pm

Post #7 of 18 (154 views)
Shortcut
Trust [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
wouldn't the eagle be susceptible to the Ring's influence?

Even Gandalf didn't trust himself with it.

Such logic demands that no creature on Middle-earth carry the ring, including Hobbits. The only "person," thing or enigma on Middle-earth qualified to carry the One Ring to its doom is Tom Bombadil.

Of course, the Valar could have taken care of things directly instead of sending five handicapped, corruptible or unreliable Maiar to do their dirty work under bizarre limitations. But they're awful, aloof, capricious mean-spirited deities who would rather all on Middle-earth suffer eternal doom and gloom than be held accountable and responsible for their own actions. Losers.

Just sayin'. Tongue

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 13 2013, 3:34pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 3:52pm

Post #8 of 18 (140 views)
Shortcut
Because "It builds character!" :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can picture papa Manwe trying that one out on them TongueSly

dik-dik
Lorien

Jun 13 2013, 8:01pm

Post #9 of 18 (124 views)
Shortcut
/off topic/ Thank you, Starling! He's my favourite actor. [In reply to] Can't Post

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

wildespace
The Shire

Jun 13 2013, 9:15pm

Post #10 of 18 (129 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien didn't want to use the Eagles as a trivial plot device [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of the Letters, he mentioned that he barely avoided trivialising them, and spoke out against the proposed screenplay for LotR which involved "people riding around on eagles at the least provocation" or something like that.

Do read the Letters, they provide a valuable insight on Tolkien's works.

http://www.facebook.com/BookOfLostTales
http://www.facebook.com/groups/jrrtolkiengroup

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 13 2013, 9:22pm

Post #11 of 18 (136 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, Gandalf did tell the fellowship to "Fly, you fools!"

Pippin: "When you guys fall in the forest, does it make a sound?"
Bregalad: "Are you kidding? Scott fell last week and he hasn't shut up about it since!"

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 9:23pm

Post #12 of 18 (127 views)
Shortcut
ha [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After all, Gandalf did tell the fellowship to "Fly, you fools!"

haha yes, thats what he meant!! it was a clue!

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 14 2013, 7:05pm

Post #13 of 18 (96 views)
Shortcut
Love that! [In reply to] Can't Post

"In place of a Dark Lord you will set up a Nest.
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Feather and the Egg!
Fair as the Ducks and the Swans and the Snow upon the Geese!
Dreadful as the Broken Bird Feeder and the Audubon Society!
Stronger than the foundations of the Chicken Coop.
All shall love me and moult!'

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 14 2013, 7:06pm

Post #14 of 18 (106 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you'd think they'd take his dying words literally, as he intended. No wonder he had to come back.// [In reply to] Can't Post

dubulous
Rohan

Jun 16 2013, 9:45pm

Post #15 of 18 (80 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

...even if for argument's sake we assumed the eagle would not be affected by the Ring's power and want to claim it as his own one he put it on - wouldn't wearing the Ring just make the eagle more easily observable for Sauron and the wraiths, especially the closer he got to Mordor? When Frodo put on the Ring on Weathertop, the wraiths could immediately see him.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2013, 11:22pm

Post #16 of 18 (85 views)
Shortcut
Yes, not only the nazgul... [In reply to] Can't Post

remember the Eye? The closer you get to Mordor the more dangerous it is to wear the Ring. And don't forget that Sauron appears to have some control over the volcano: he could make it send out a great dark cloud to cover his advancing armies. If he saw someone approaching Mount Doom with the Ring, even if the Nazgul couldn't reach them in time to intercept, he could probably still cause the mountain to erupt and make it impossible to get near. With Frodo, Sauron didn't perceive his presence until he was actually inside Mount Doom and put the Ring on. Erupting the volcano then would have destroyed it, so the Nazgul were dispatched to bring him in, as he apparently couldn't fully control the Ring at once - and it had as much of a hold on Frodo as he did on it. Sauron seemed to think he could still have taken it from Frodo at that point, if Gollum hadn't intervened and caused its destruction.

An eagle flying into Mordor bearing a rider would have been spotted and would never have made it as far as the volcano, between possible orc arrows, the flying Nazgul and the volcano itself. An invisible Eagle would still have been "naked to the Eye" and visible to the flying Nazgul and very vulnerable to volcanic eruption preventing it being able to get into the Cracks of Doom (even if it could have managed it in terms of size and terrain).

The Ring isn't a force field; its invisibility doesn't protect, it merely takes you out of the mortal plane into the "spirit" plane and you become more visible to anything there.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2013, 2:16am

Post #17 of 18 (43 views)
Shortcut
Also, you'd have to get the eagles to agree to do this. [In reply to] Can't Post

In D&D parlance, i've always thought of the eagles as True Neutral, and that they would not want to have anything to do with what anyone wanted them to do with the Ring. The only reason they ever did anything to help was out of deference to their friendship with Gandalf, and even in those situations, they weren't putting themselves in eminent mortal danger.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jun 19 2013, 2:23am

Post #18 of 18 (74 views)
Shortcut
but [In reply to] Can't Post

sam wears the ring in mordor without much alarm?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.