Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
This is getting worse, not better.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

architecthis
Lorien

Jun 12 2013, 3:41pm

Post #51 of 58 (175 views)
Shortcut
Thank You [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2013, 5:41pm

Post #52 of 58 (159 views)
Shortcut
Great comment [In reply to] Can't Post

i salute you!

Heres a video on the subject of trying to get abck to good old practical effects :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_63Dlj83g

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

imin
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 5:57pm

Post #53 of 58 (149 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i should have said [In reply to] Can't Post

This post was in direct reply to the OP who feels the same way as i do and so when i say it doesn't feel like middle earth or the hobbit they will know what i mean.

I understand however you feel differently (though i can't see how with such changes it can even seem like M-e).

If it were a post to yourself of course i would not be insisting this is not The Hobbit as i know you don't believe that and feel they all flow together well etc.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 12 2013, 6:28pm

Post #54 of 58 (148 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand what you're saying. Viewing it flat mode I replied as yours posts are ones I look for. Figured I'd chime in and give the other side of the coin, but I'm kind of beating a dead horse because you know how I feel.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 4:15am

Post #55 of 58 (115 views)
Shortcut
My problem, even as one who loved most of An Unexpected and expects to love much of Smaug's desolation, is NOT that [In reply to] Can't Post

they added from the appendices. I always thought that would help round out the films and connect them to Rings. My problem is that a lot of the material is utterly contradictory to anything found in the appendices. Use of the title "The Appendices" has been shamelessly used as a catch all for every change in addition, and that would be fine if the only addenda not found in the Appendices proper were fillers to bridge the areas not covered in those histories, yet the fact is it is being used to cover changes that defy the Appendices at every turn.

The Hobbit parts of the movie are actually amongst the most true to text in all the films to date. Most of The Hobbit is represented here. It is The Appendices that have been misrepresented almost to the point of being unrecognizable fodder. Azog lives and chases Thorin around Eriador and Rhovanin? Gandalf finds Thrain DURING Thorin's quest? The Nine are breaking out of tombs they were never held in to begin with? Wha wha what? lol

In Reply To
I empathize with you, stoutfiles. My saving grace is that I realized long ago that these movies were never going to *be* The Hobbit, a realization that was reinforced by the decision to add a third movie. Is it based on The Hobbit? Yes, but it was never going to *be* The Hobbit once they decided to incorporate things from the appendices and various other back-story told in LOTR, and nothing we wish, no matter how fervently, will ever change that. To me, this is one interpretation of The Hobbit, along with a number of the related events that were happening in Middle-earth at the time of The Hobbit, or that related to the story of The Hobbit and LOTR.

Personally, I'm okay with that. I'm interested in seeing this interpretation from a director and screenwriters I admire and who's work I've enjoyed in the past. I'm interested in how they're going to connect this trilogy to the LOTR trilogy. I'm intrigued by how they're weaving in new characters who are representative of the 'everymen' (or women) for the underlying events that must have been going on with the different races of Middle-earth (a common tool among adaptations of epic works of literature). I'm intrigued with how they're going to weave the essence of The Hobbit into their interpretation. But, no -- this is most definitely *not* The Hobbit.

I have to admit, though, that I'm perplexed that anyone, after knowing they were doing three movies, and after watching AUJ, would still have any hope that these movies would be true to The Hobbit as written. I totally empathize the desire to have it be true to The Hobbit, but that desire and reality parted ways long ago. Anyone who still hopes that this will somehow turn into the story of The Hobbit as written is just setting themselves up for disappointment, are they not? I'm also perplexed as to why someone would continue to do that. Isn't the healthiest option at this point to give up on the movies altogether, or to reprogram one's expectations? All I know is that I've learned to not only live with the latter, but to darned well revel in it: not to the point of 100% acceptance of every change, but pretty high acceptance of these movies as one adaptation. Smile

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2013, 11:10am

Post #56 of 58 (92 views)
Shortcut
I don't really care if they change things from the books, [In reply to] Can't Post

within reason. As long as they stay true to Tolkien's basic history (*cough* Azog *cough*), and don't invent things that clash with that history too much (Tauriel? We shall see...), i'm fine (LotR passed this test for me, btw).

I just want them to be great films.

The LotR trilogy are great films. AUJ is not. And, judging by the trailer, DoS will continue that trend (too many dodgy digital doubles doing too many ridiculous, impossible things).

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 3:27pm

Post #57 of 58 (81 views)
Shortcut
Totally [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, LotR felt like, as many have stated, the most expensive independent film production of all time...In contrast, TH, again purely IMO, feels like it's made as standard Hollywood blockbuster to fit in between superhero films and raunchy comedies

This is also one of my biggest gripes about AUJ and the direction Jackson seems to be going with TH as a whole. He's gone out of his way to try and link this trilogy with his previous one, but it seems that doesn't apply to the visual aesthetic established in the previous trilogy (this was evident the moment old Bilbo appeared, who shockingly looked almost nothing like his LOTR counterpart). Everything in TH thus far is so saturated with too-bright colors, the fight scenes all move a million miles a second, and worst for me is the CGI orcs...WHY OH WHY did they have to go and mess with the orc designs they established with LOTR? The orcs looked so cartoony in AUJ...

To be honest, I didn't think AUJ was "horrible", but I felt it WAS horrible that it wasn't great.

Agree with this too. It was just barely an above-average movie IMO, but as an adaptation of TH, it was so far removed from what I was hoping for that I have trouble seeing it as "The Hobbit". It was a good, but ultimately disappointing, film. It could have been great if they would have stuck to the original two-film plan, but as it stands, the physics are way too reminiscent of a pinball game, there is some very dodgy cgi, and there has been too much tinkering with the story/timelines IMO.

On the plus side, I think the acting and casting have so far been mostly great, especially Freeman (who is a perfect Bilbo), McKellen, and Ken Stott (my favorite of the dwarves). Looking forward to Lee Pace's Thranduil...

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 13 2013, 3:34pm)

IDLookout
Rivendell

Jun 13 2013, 5:13pm

Post #58 of 58 (86 views)
Shortcut
Yikes [In reply to] Can't Post

Fighting in barrels? You've got to be kidding me. Yet ANOTHER instance where PJ is taking part of the main character's essence and development away. The whole point of the Barrel ride was that Bilbo single-handedly saved the dwarves. No arrows, none of that crap, just Hobbit ingenuity. The dwarves bitched at the end, and Bilbo threatened to stuff them back into the barrels.

Meh.

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.