Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Second unit director...what if

scottlaufer07

Dec 24 2007, 2:19am

Post #1 of 5 (798 views)
Shortcut
Second unit director...what if Can't Post

how cool would it be if the second unit director(forget the name but the crazy guy who had the orange chair for the special features) directed the hobbit....i know the studios might be hesitant to get a "no name" director but i think it would be awesome. i mean, he alredy directed a portion of lotr

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2007, 3:43am

Post #2 of 5 (651 views)
Shortcut
He's Geoff Murphy, [In reply to] Can't Post

and he has a creditable filmography behind him, including the iconic NZ films Goodbye Pork Pie, Utu and The Quiet Earth. He has also worked in Hollywood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Murphy

However I don't think he's right for The Hobbit. He's very good at getting a story to unfold onscreen and he can bring the outrageous down to a personal level, but I don't think he has the special creativity needed to helm a fantasy film and make it gritty and real.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Avner
The Shire

Dec 24 2007, 8:28am

Post #3 of 5 (630 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i'm going to be dissapointed no-matter who directs it now...

Patty
Immortal

Dec 24 2007, 5:36pm

Post #4 of 5 (621 views)
Shortcut
No, but what if Fran directed it? At least, The Hobbit. Then Pete could [In reply to] Can't Post

direct the bridge movie.

For me, that would be the perfect solution.

For Gondor!

Elven
Valinor

Dec 25 2007, 4:05am

Post #5 of 5 (652 views)
Shortcut
Go Fran! [In reply to] Can't Post

My sentiments too Patty!

But I think we're being kept in suspense, and Peter will direct - but there will be two names on the Directors credits ... hopefully one of them is Fran.

Elven x

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.