Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Merry/Eowyn

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

Jun 9 2013, 5:56am

Post #1 of 23 (557 views)
Shortcut
Merry/Eowyn Can't Post

I really loved the Merry and Eowyn scenes in The Return of the King. I think these two could have gotten together. They both wanted to prove themselves in the battle and I thought they worked great together in the battle.

Thoughts? (Please tell me I'm not the only one who ships this couple)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 9 2013, 11:20am

Post #2 of 23 (386 views)
Shortcut
While I`m not sure this is a place for shipping, you are not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I find Eowyn and Faramir boring in a way that all Prince and Princess hook-ups are boring. A Hobbit and a Princess is simply awesome. They have to break several barriers that should not exist to begin with but since they do here they are:

The Taller Man Shorter Woman rule. Merry is 3 foot 7 and Eowyn is well above 3 foot 7. Some people have problem with this arrangement that worked so great for Jordanian royal couple King Hussain and Queen Noor.

The commoner and the Princess bias. Since Tolkien world was very monachistic, this kind of pairing is uncommon within the same race let alone between races. But it would have been interesting if someone broke the rule and who better than rather open-minded Eowyn? So Merry and Eowyn would be William and Kate in reverse.

The racial issue. Mixing between Men and Elves was once in a blue moon but between other races was unheard of. So more power to those who see quality in each other and get together in more ways than just friends.

The predestination. Since this is a monarchist world, predestination trumps achievement. If you are born as a Crown Prince than you are rightful heir to the throne even if someone else is more capable. Come to think of it, because of predestination rules out that anyone is more capable, the Chosen One is automatically the most capable and his/her claim is considered earned even if they do not lift a pinky. So in this case, even though Merry`s courage and common interests with Eowyn earned him her hand so to speak, any Prince trumps him because Princess is prdestined for a Prince.

So too many obstacles to overcome which is why the ship rocks. LaughHeart

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer

(This post was edited by Semper Fi on Jun 9 2013, 11:23am)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 9 2013, 9:43pm

Post #3 of 23 (319 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That was an impressively thought-out list, Semper. My own response is meager in comparison.

In both movie and book, the Merry/Eowyn tie is just dropped. You'd think they'd really come together as friends or something after both traveling secretly and against the rules from Rohan to Gondor and jointly killing the Witch-King, but then they barely say hello afterwards. Dominic Monaghan seems like he's probably flirtatious with most women, and he seemed a little like that with Eowyn in the movie ("My lady!" makes me think that), but I guess the prince/steward got in the way of the hobbit.

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

Jun 9 2013, 10:31pm

Post #4 of 23 (320 views)
Shortcut
I know that [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry probably only had what people would call a schoolboy crush on Eowyn, but I like him and Eowyn as a couple anyway. They rocked in the movie. Also I loved them in the book. I would have likes to see a scene of them after the battle.

(This post was edited by RachellovesLOTR on Jun 9 2013, 10:33pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 10 2013, 1:12am

Post #5 of 23 (290 views)
Shortcut
They're not a bad 'couple' [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not usually a shipper, but you bring up some good points about them, especially since they've basically been through much together, that right there makes them compatable, they can relate to one another and understand one another.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 2:16am

Post #6 of 23 (280 views)
Shortcut
No response is ever meager and I agree with what you said [In reply to] Can't Post

The tie was just dropped, unfortunately. They had such a great story arch which is why they live in fanfiction and shipperdom forever. LaughHeart

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 2:18am

Post #7 of 23 (287 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was totally adorkable when she dressed up him as a little warrior [In reply to] Can't Post

and than stood up for him when Eomer laughed. Heart

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 2:44am

Post #8 of 23 (286 views)
Shortcut
Yes - and an idea [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a lovely bit of ROTK, wasn't it?

Merry married Estella Bolger, according to the Brandybuck family tree in the LOTR Appendices. It's also mentioned (beginning of ROTK chapter called "The Grey Havens") that Fatty Bolger, her brother, was released from the Lockholes during the Scouring of the Shire - he'd been taken prisoner while leading a band of rebels against Saruman's Ruffians. So I can't help wondering whether Estella too had participated in the Hobbit "Resistance" alongside her brother, and whether Merry was attracted because she was a bit of a Hobbit Eowyn!

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 10 2013, 3:13am

Post #9 of 23 (274 views)
Shortcut
Yes, she always shows spirit for the right cause. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Semper Fi
Rohan

Jun 10 2013, 2:19pm

Post #10 of 23 (256 views)
Shortcut
Great thinking and very very likely [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything, Merry would be open-minded about including his lady in the Resistance based on his positive experience of fighting side by side with another lady.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 10 2013, 3:44pm

Post #11 of 23 (247 views)
Shortcut
I can almost see it, but not quite... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really loved the Merry and Eowyn scenes in The Return of the King. I think these two could have gotten together. They both wanted to prove themselves in the battle and I thought they worked great together in the battle.

Thoughts? (Please tell me I'm not the only one who ships this couple)

No matter how smitten Merry became with Eowyn, I can't see her looking on the hobbit as more than a very good friend (without benefits).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jun 10 2013, 5:50pm

Post #12 of 23 (240 views)
Shortcut
Not sure about this [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the idea of a Merry/Eowyn romance is adorable (and sexy. I like tall strong women myself Tongue) but it seems very unlikely. Aside from the reasons already mentioned, people that interacted with the Hobbits often seemed to view them like children. Not just for their size but also for their naive, innocent view of the world (and possibly lack of facial hair). While Merry could easily have developed a crush on Eowyn, I don't know that Eowyn would see much in Merry that attracted her. When she's swooning over a tall, strong, handsome warrior like Aragorn, I don't think a little tow-headed childlike fella would do much for her.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 10 2013, 6:18pm

Post #13 of 23 (235 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

"It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife."
-An Unexpected Party

Works both ways, I'd suppose.

Frankly I greatly admire a woman willing to rebel against society's ingrained sizism and date someone shorter than her. Eowyn would do it.

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
Brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
Hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
An age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
An age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
No man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 6:55pm

Post #14 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
semper.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... what is tauriel "saying" in your avatar?

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2013, 6:58pm

Post #15 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
hiya : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

hiya, rachel : )

i really don't see them as a couple, 'tho i +love+ and deeply admire their friendship.

both pippen and merry matured a lot through their journeys, but they were still both a bit.... scamperish.... if you know what i mean. i see eowyn with someone who has more mature depth and steadiness, like... faramir! wow, that turned out well, didn't it?

at the same time, 'tho, i do appreciate hearing different perspectives, even though i've not thought of that one before.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2013, 4:47am

Post #16 of 23 (212 views)
Shortcut
I love their relationship [In reply to] Can't Post

And as others have mentioned, I wish it had been developed more. However, I don't see them as a couple. And not because of height or relative station in life; bucking those conventions would be wonderful. But as Fredeghar Wayfarer says, it's more the child-like naivete of the Hobbits, even after all Merry has been through, that makes a romantic relationship unlikely. But what's wrong with platonic friendship? Any man can fall for a beautiful, unattainable woman, and many women can have their heads turned by an adoring man. But true mutual respect and understanding are much more rare and can be as beautiful as romantic love.

But hey, I don't blame anyone for wanting to see them get together. I've cheered on stranger pairings, myself. Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 11 2013, 4:51am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 11 2013, 6:41am

Post #17 of 23 (201 views)
Shortcut
I had to look that one up [In reply to] Can't Post

I never heard of 'shipping' before!

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 11 2013, 1:09pm

Post #18 of 23 (181 views)
Shortcut
You weren't alone. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 12:33am

Post #19 of 23 (159 views)
Shortcut
Ooh I love that idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So I can't help wondering whether Estella too had participated in the Hobbit "Resistance" alongside her brother, and whether Merry was attracted because she was a bit of a Hobbit Eowyn!

It sounds very reasonable to me!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 9:34am

Post #20 of 23 (188 views)
Shortcut
I really like the idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

But there's something about Faramir and Eowyn's relationship that I hold dear to my heart. Semper Fi is right - they are in a prince-princess relationship, but it's not cliché at all. They are, to put it bluntly, both broken. Faramir lost his mother at a young age and his father dismissed him for his whole life. Eowyn was was orphaned and most probably shunned for being a woman who bore a love for the sword. (Let's not forget Gríma and whatever it is he really did do to her). To me, the fact that two broken people fresh out of battle can heal together is amazing. It gives hope to more broken people like myself.

"And Eowyn looked at Faramir long and steadily; and Faramir said: 'Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart, Eowyn! But I do not offer you my pity. For you are a lady high and valiant and have yourself won renown that shall not be forgotten; and you are a lady beautiful, I deem, beyond even the words of the Elven-tongue to tell. And I love you. Once I pitied your sorrow. But now, were you sorrowless, without fear or any lack, were you the blissful Queen of Gondor, still I would love you. Eowyn, do you not love me?'

Then the heart of Eowyn changed, or else at last she understood it. And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her."

But yes, I really like the idea of Merry and Eowyn. It would have been nice to have seen a couple that went against the height rule, as others have said.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"Who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale!?"

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Jun 13 2013, 9:35am)

Nira
Lorien

Jun 20 2013, 3:28am

Post #21 of 23 (105 views)
Shortcut
I had to look it up as well [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Nira
Lorien

Jun 20 2013, 3:32am

Post #22 of 23 (110 views)
Shortcut
I like Merry threads [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartMerry!Heart

I think they were both too concerned about the battle and their own roles to focus on each other in that way.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

RachellovesLOTR
Rivendell

Jun 20 2013, 3:43am

Post #23 of 23 (128 views)
Shortcut
I know right [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry is awesome :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.