Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's your favorite individual shot in the DOS trailer?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 5:44am

Post #1 of 54 (1184 views)
Shortcut
What's your favorite individual shot in the DOS trailer? Can't Post

I was looking through the multitude of threads since the trailer's release, and noticed that we haven't asked this simple question yet.

So....what was your favorite shot?

This could be in any way of thinking about it, whether it's a shot of Thorin...cough, cough...Ro...Wink

...or it's based on the composition of the shot. Or anything in between!

Personally, I would have to say it's a close race between Bilbo in the treetops with the butterflies and Schmaug himself. And the shot of Dale. And Lake town. Ugh, it's hard to stop!

Smile

namarie
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 6:14am

Post #2 of 54 (652 views)
Shortcut
my favorites are your favorites :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to choose between the view of Dale and Laketown. And I love the shot with Bilbo in the tree.
I already put the screenshot with Dale on my desktop so maybe that's the favorite one Smile

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jun 13 2013, 6:16am

Post #3 of 54 (661 views)
Shortcut
To me it's... [In reply to] Can't Post

...definitely Bilbo in the treetops. It's got such wonderful lightness to it amidst all the action, and such a beautiful color palette with the vivid reds of the leafs and the bright blues of the butterflies. And Bilbo looks so happy there.Smile
Close second would be the Lake Town shot. Lake Town looks incredible. It might become my favorite location from all of the movies. I wish it was possible to visit such a place...

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jun 13 2013, 6:18am)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jun 13 2013, 6:51am

Post #4 of 54 (614 views)
Shortcut
Smug! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the glowing eyes, OK the CGI looks quite fake but I utterly love the design

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 7:12am

Post #5 of 54 (610 views)
Shortcut
I liked Legolas leaving the main gate walking towards the forest [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the nicer part of Mirkwood with lighter bright green colours, it was just how I imagined it from the book.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 7:25am

Post #6 of 54 (584 views)
Shortcut
2 of Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Butterflies and treetops or sliding down the gold

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 7:32am

Post #7 of 54 (588 views)
Shortcut
Same four as you.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Also the dwarves climbing the broken statue. And there's a fleeting shot of two elves - Thranduil? or Legolas and a dark-haired one, seen from behind, looking into the forest. It comes and goes so quickly you can hardly take it in, but visually it's lovely.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 7:52am

Post #8 of 54 (576 views)
Shortcut
I forgot the Elvenking's halls! [In reply to] Can't Post

How could I forget the Elvenking's halls. Been so looking forward to seeing how they could make caves look elvish. And they have.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 8:22am

Post #9 of 54 (537 views)
Shortcut
The Lonely Mountian [In reply to] Can't Post

The shot where the boat is heading up the Lake ... like a Bob Ross painting (its such a happy mountain) and PJ can do anything he likes in tolkiens world LOL!

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 8:23am

Post #10 of 54 (593 views)
Shortcut
Visually, I'd have to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the exchange between Bard and Thorin...well, ok, it's a bit one-sided because Thorin doesn't actually speak, but at least we get to look at him. But I love the visual there because of the snow. I've gotten really excited about the possibilities of seeing a fair bit of scenes set in snow like that, and after seeing that interaction, I think the falling snow makes it just stunning.

I'd probably find more of the visuals stunning, except I've only been able to watch a low-res version of the trailer so far, so a lot of the more detailed nuances in other shots are lost on me at the moment!

Thranduil's eyebrows, however, were not lost on me. They may not quite compete with Thorin's hair, but they've still got my attention.

I loved Legolas sliding up to the Dwarves and nocking his arrow all in one smooth move -- I realized I really am looking forward to having him back for the party!

My favourite food-for-thought scene was the little exchange between Tauriel and Legolas. That brief bit of dialogue really suggested volumes to me about Legolas's character arc from there all the way to FOTR.

Oh, and I LOVED Balin's delivery of his one line. The tone of his voice said so much more than his words did: he feared the worst from the beginning of the Quest, and his worst fear has just been realized. He and Thorin alone of the Company have faced the dragon, and he knows the sheer horror and terror that they're up against. He's the perfect sensible elder statesman.

Thranduil's VO at the start was brilliant, too. I sooooo can't wait to hear and see more of him. However much we get of him in the movie, I suspect it won't be enough. Tongue

Hmmm...needed more Thorin. And weren't Fili and Kili totally MIA? Needed more of them too. I'm sure we'll get that later on, though.

So, that didn't exactly answer your question, but that's where my thoughts are right now!

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 8:34am

Post #11 of 54 (556 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Thranduil (not eyebrow related) [In reply to] Can't Post

He was my favourite thing in the trailer. I found what I think of as his '80's new romantic fashion poses' in the first film rather tiresome, so it was an exciting thing to get a more solid indication of this fascinating character. I loved his voice over.

Like you, I loved the way Balin delivered that dragon line. Wonderful!

Thoromir
Rivendell

Jun 13 2013, 8:58am

Post #12 of 54 (516 views)
Shortcut
My selection [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite action shot: All the archery action.
Favorite overall shot: Laketown and the Elven King Halls (can't choose).

Least favorite overall shot: Radagast.
Least favorite action shot: Bombur vs Orc.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 13 2013, 9:44am

Post #13 of 54 (505 views)
Shortcut
Everyone has covered my favourite parts, so I'll go for Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's always the misunderstood one in this trilogy. He just needs a little love.

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 9:53am

Post #14 of 54 (478 views)
Shortcut
Start a fan club [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll join. Cool

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2013, 9:57am

Post #15 of 54 (496 views)
Shortcut
Can't pick just one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dale - still majestic, but poignant after what we saw of it in AUJ.
Lake-town - I could feel the damp and hear the creaking of timbers.
Bilbo and the butterflies
The forest just outside Thranduil's front door - it smells of greeness.
Tauriel leaping down with her bow (I'm going to love Tauriel.)
Smaug (shiver)

Thanks for this thread, cats16.
Smile

namarie
Rohan

Jun 13 2013, 9:59am

Post #16 of 54 (469 views)
Shortcut
awwww // [In reply to] Can't Post

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 13 2013, 10:00am

Post #17 of 54 (480 views)
Shortcut
Cliche or not [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin's "That my lad ... was a dragon" gives me chills every time - especially the slow track-in on his face as he states the word "dragon".

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2013, 10:01am

Post #18 of 54 (480 views)
Shortcut
And I liked Azog, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I keep seeing him wearing mouse ears as he comes over the parapet. Curse you, DanielLB!WinkLaugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 10:04am

Post #19 of 54 (480 views)
Shortcut
Fili's there... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the barrel behind Thorin's at the moment Thorin swipes at the camera with a sword. Bilbo is in the water in that shot, apparently reaching for/holding Kili's barrel, and the barrel to the right is probably Fili - not sure because he's so wet.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 13 2013, 10:33am

Post #20 of 54 (454 views)
Shortcut
He was wearing his Minnie ears this time round [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a gentle Orc, really.

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Jun 13 2013, 10:57am

Post #21 of 54 (470 views)
Shortcut
Strange no one has mentioned this, [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the shot of Bilbo hiding behind a tree in Mirkwood from a terrifyingly well animated spider! From the glimpse of the spiders we saw near Radagast's crib I was worried they would look awful and not sinister in the slightest.
In the trailer this was a real standout for me because everything looked spot on and none of the CGI seemed fake. It radiated tension and dread and also looked quite stunning!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 10:59am

Post #22 of 54 (440 views)
Shortcut
I don't love anything with s*****s in!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 11:27am

Post #23 of 54 (426 views)
Shortcut
I can't decide on one [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I really liked:

1. Anything with Thorin (but then I'm rather partial to him!).

2. Thranduil and his halls.

3. Bilbo in the trees.

4. An intriguing very brief glimpse of Beorn, which has whetted my appetite for seeing this character.

5. Lake Town

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 11:42am

Post #24 of 54 (428 views)
Shortcut
Easy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tibet-Dale :)

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 13 2013, 1:27pm

Post #25 of 54 (381 views)
Shortcut
Dale... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it has to be near the beginning, the dwarves looking upon Dale. Awesome shot!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.