Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Desolation of Smaug trailer - Opinions

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 11:37pm

Post #1 of 12 (820 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug trailer - Opinions Can't Post

Hello all,

I'm new to this but am basically interested in hearing people's opinions on the DoS trailer. I'm sure many of you, like me, were awe-struck at the trailer. If there is already a thread for this then I apologise!

Which things/characters stood out?
What would you have liked to see that wasn't in the trailer?
What do you wish hadn't been shown?
Smaug... too revealing, not revealing enough?
Questions following the trailer?

All in all I was amazed! I got goosebumps as soon as I heard Thranduil. I thought he was a big part of the trailer and I think he'll be awesome in the movie! The Barrels Out of Bond scene looks great although I was a bit taken aback at the CGI elves. I'm sure they'll be refined nearer the time. Richard Armitage said that his favourite set was Beorn's house, so on his recommendation I'm eagerly anticipating that!

When Tauriel was announced I was slightly apprehensive however I think she'll fit in nicely and her character looks great! She seems to work quite well alongside Legolas. Bearing in mind neither were in the book, it'll be interesting to see a completely new side-story with them and whether or not he was in the story, you can't beat Legolas. I'm assuming his part won't be that big, but I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they'll do with a pre-LotR Legolas - a slightly younger, less dwarf-tolerant elf!

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is PJ delving in to the Appendices, so that we get to see where Gandalf disappears to. I think it'll be really cool seeing him and Radagast in Dol Guldur and the High Fells, not to mention the Necromancer (hopefully)! I thought Lothlorien was the standout location in LotR and by the looks of it, Mirkwood is going to be in The Hobbit. Thranduil's kingdom and the forest itself look amazing!

I was never really won over with Azog, I much preferred the look of Bolg but I'm unsure what happened to him, whether he'll be used as a character or not. I was disappointed at the decision to create him entirely through motion-capture and CGI. He doesn't look as intimidating as some of the bad guys we saw in LotR, Lurtz for example. It'll be interesting to see how long they keep him for before Dain kindly departs him, whether that be in DoS or TaBA.

PJ's spiders never fail to amaze me and I'm sure the same can be said for the Mirkwood ones. We only got a teaser of them in AUJ but I can't wait for them this time round.

I don't have to say much for Bard! Luke Evans is an awesome actor and I know he'll do justice to the character.

"That my lad... was a dragon" - In my mind, the line that made the trailer! Which brings me on to Smaug. I didn't want to see him in the trailer. I'd sooner have seen him for the first time in the cinema so I could truly be blown away by his sheer awesomeness! That said, I wasn't completely disappointed, I think the fact that he was shadowed was good as it still left a lot to the imagination. The debates are in full flow as I speak, some positive, some negative, but at least it's not set in stone yet. Casting my mind back to the prologue of AUJ when you see the dragon storm in to Erebor crushing dwarves as he goes, his sheer might and size was incomprehensible!

Anyway, that's my opinion. As I said, I'm keen to hear others! Please don't be shy Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 12:04am

Post #2 of 12 (400 views)
Shortcut
Hello there! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a thread somewhere further down, or another page away, but I'll just say here that I loved the trailer and it has made me really anticipate the next film.

Thranduil looks potentially amazing. I love the environment of the Elven halls.

Barrels going downriver looked promising.

Thorin looks great as ever, though we didn't see much of him.

Liked what we saw of Bilbo (though not enough in the trailer for my liking).

The glimpse of Beorn is intriguing, though you only know it is him if the shot is frozen in a still.

Azog is not everyone's favourite, I know, but he looks amazingly agile in the trailer.

The only thing I had reservations about was the flying and leaping Elves – but then I found the CGI Legolas doing sliding and leaping stunts in LOTR quite ridiculous and unrealistic.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 2:28am

Post #3 of 12 (326 views)
Shortcut
My Opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh good, a new thread where I'm not uselessly buried under 300 posts.

A lot has been written about how this or that or who not being in the trailer. The trailer was obviously targeted at introducing new characters to the audience, plus the action crowd. Elsewhere in DanielLB's "not we" thread, DwellerInDale wrote, "I now live in southeast Asia, and people here were pretty blown away- many people in this part of the world think that "The Hobbit" is better than LOTR, because they really love action / adventure."

So for its intended purpose, with plenty of time for more trailers to fill in other things for everyone who found something missing from this trailer, it did it's job. And for all the negative opinions, that's still called "buzz" and people talking is what the studios like.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 13 2013, 2:33am

Post #4 of 12 (361 views)
Shortcut
Luke Evans [In reply to] Can't Post

Luke Evans as The Bard looks a LOT like Orlando Bloom without makeup. So much so that I'm wondering if he is going to tell Legolas, "No Leg, I am your father."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 13 2013, 3:37am

Post #5 of 12 (326 views)
Shortcut
A mix. Loved some aspects, was lukewarm about others. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will start with what I loved.

LOVED Thranduil.

LOVED Gandalf's reply to Radagast concerning Dol Guldur and his epic determination.

Loved the sheer enormity and size of Smaug, and his glowing, lanternlighting eye, and I think I liked his facial design from what I could see.

Loved the dracoquake and Balin's commentary.

Loved Snow in Dale and the Elven King's halls.

Loved Bilbo and the butterflies

I liked Beorn as bear, but I think the CGI seemed unfinished. I am sure they will polish it.

Didn't mind Evangeline Lilly-Tauriel, but I noted she seems to have a lot of lines and weight.

I did not like that Tauriel, a sylvan Elf, seems more wise than Legolas of the Sindar, and has to correct him about the broader view of the world.

I definitely did not like Azog popping up jack in the box like on an Elven fort. I am ready for him to be gone already. I certainly do not wish to see him escape the Elves as well. He needs to be handled before we behold the magnificence of Smaug.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 11:37am

Post #6 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
2 cents [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I did not like that Tauriel, a sylvan Elf, seems more wise than Legolas of the Sindar, and has to correct him about the broader view of the world.

I actually loved that... in general the struggle among the Free Peoples to deal with the coming shadow and in particular that it is one of the "commoners" to realize it earlier. I thought it is quite in line with the portrayal of many of the "high borns" in TH (the book) and their not-so-wise actions in the lead-up to the Bot5A. But of course I hope as well that Legolas and father wonÄt be portrayed as complete idiots... this will have to be handled carefully.

As for this topic:

Which things/characters stood out?

Thranduil. Magnificent.

What would you have liked to see that wasn't in the trailer?

I first thought I'd rather have hear Smaug and not seen him... but now I actually think this was a clever decision. At least if they do with BC's voice what I hope they will. Actually, thinking about it, it was always clear that Smaug's design could not completely blow everyone away... after all, he had to be kind of conservative. His voice and wit will make or break him.

What do you wish hadn't been shown?

The jumping people at the end of the trailer and the badly rendered surfing Legolas.

Smaug... too revealing, not revealing enough?

Right dosis. See above.

Questions following the trailer?

What will be in DoS and what won't... especially, when will it finish.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 1:32pm

Post #7 of 12 (174 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree with all of this [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have written this post, word for word.

Cheers!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 13 2013, 1:50pm

Post #8 of 12 (176 views)
Shortcut
Opinions continued... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replies guys! Nice to get some perspective on what people are thinking Smile

I love that other people were won over by Thranduil as well! He seems like he's going to be such an influential character. I've always like the mystery and elegance of the elves. I think Thranduil at first will be more like Galadriel/Celeborn that Elrond, but I can't wait to see his warrior side in Bo5A!

I've been thinking about the Azog situation... In my original post I made it pretty clear that I wasn't his biggest fan and that I much preferred Bolg. I have since been speculating...
- It's common knowledge that Dain kills Azog.
- On IMDB Billy Connolly who plays Dain, has been credited in DoS, despite us hearing nothing about him from PJ and crew so far.
- I'm hoping that Dain will be a last minute surprise thrown in to DoS to dispatch Azog early on to pave the way for Smaug's appearance.
- That would then also mean that TaBA could focus entirely on the Necromancer and possibly open a vacancy for another 'baddie', i.e. Bolg!

I agree with Arranir with regards to Smaug. I was adamant that I didn't want to see him in the trailer but hoped that we might hear his voice in the darkness following the title sequence at the very end. That said, I'm pleased that they still shrouded the dragon with mystery and left a lot to the imagination.

One final thing I forgot to ask in my original post...

What did everyone think to the locations?

I just know Mirkwood will be awesome, as all elven locations PJ has created so far have been amazing!

I was pleasantly surprised at the brief shot we saw of Lake Town. Can't wait to see Stephen Fry as the Master!

I loved the shot early on of the Dwarves looking upon Dale!

Finally my favourite shot from the trailer location-wise has to be the boat with the Lonely Mountain in the background. I loved the way the camera panned out to reveal the enormity of the mountain and how it dwarfs the boat (no pun intended!)

I await your responses...!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 13 2013, 4:52pm

Post #9 of 12 (129 views)
Shortcut
With regard to locations [In reply to] Can't Post

They were fantastic, in my view – as locations generally tend to be in PJ's films.

I thought Dale looked haunting, and the shot with the boat is absolutely lovely.

Lake Town looks amazing.

From what I've seen of the Mirkwood set, I think this should be incredible – I liked the view of Bilbo above the trees with the butterflies.

Oh, and I loved the snow!

It's good that PJ is keeping us guessing about some characters, such as the Master and Dain, as well as Beorn and Smaug (I think that what we saw of the latter two reveals too little to enable one to really form an opinion of the way they will look in the film).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 13 2013, 4:53pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2013, 4:20am

Post #10 of 12 (88 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

My opinion is that that Smaug in the trailer is a very well done digital placeholder for the real one we are going to see in December. And PJ will have the last laugh. LOL.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 14 2013, 5:27am

Post #11 of 12 (89 views)
Shortcut
Happy to be in strong agreement and in such good company [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

In Reply To
I could have written this post, word for word.

Cheers!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

IDLookout
Rivendell

Jun 14 2013, 10:22pm

Post #12 of 12 (72 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the butterfly scene, even if they aren't black. The look on Bilbo's face was great.

Didn't mind Tauriel at all.

Loved the climb up the Dwarf's Arm.

Didn't really like Dale - I guess it doesn't mean Valley any more? I didn't picture it quite like that, but more "underneath" the doors of the mountain, not up on a little peak like that.

Overall, not bad.

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.