Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Desolation of Smaug trailer - Opinions

Thranduil05
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 11:37pm

Views: 801
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug trailer - Opinions Can't Post

Hello all,

I'm new to this but am basically interested in hearing people's opinions on the DoS trailer. I'm sure many of you, like me, were awe-struck at the trailer. If there is already a thread for this then I apologise!

Which things/characters stood out?
What would you have liked to see that wasn't in the trailer?
What do you wish hadn't been shown?
Smaug... too revealing, not revealing enough?
Questions following the trailer?

All in all I was amazed! I got goosebumps as soon as I heard Thranduil. I thought he was a big part of the trailer and I think he'll be awesome in the movie! The Barrels Out of Bond scene looks great although I was a bit taken aback at the CGI elves. I'm sure they'll be refined nearer the time. Richard Armitage said that his favourite set was Beorn's house, so on his recommendation I'm eagerly anticipating that!

When Tauriel was announced I was slightly apprehensive however I think she'll fit in nicely and her character looks great! She seems to work quite well alongside Legolas. Bearing in mind neither were in the book, it'll be interesting to see a completely new side-story with them and whether or not he was in the story, you can't beat Legolas. I'm assuming his part won't be that big, but I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they'll do with a pre-LotR Legolas - a slightly younger, less dwarf-tolerant elf!

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is PJ delving in to the Appendices, so that we get to see where Gandalf disappears to. I think it'll be really cool seeing him and Radagast in Dol Guldur and the High Fells, not to mention the Necromancer (hopefully)! I thought Lothlorien was the standout location in LotR and by the looks of it, Mirkwood is going to be in The Hobbit. Thranduil's kingdom and the forest itself look amazing!

I was never really won over with Azog, I much preferred the look of Bolg but I'm unsure what happened to him, whether he'll be used as a character or not. I was disappointed at the decision to create him entirely through motion-capture and CGI. He doesn't look as intimidating as some of the bad guys we saw in LotR, Lurtz for example. It'll be interesting to see how long they keep him for before Dain kindly departs him, whether that be in DoS or TaBA.

PJ's spiders never fail to amaze me and I'm sure the same can be said for the Mirkwood ones. We only got a teaser of them in AUJ but I can't wait for them this time round.

I don't have to say much for Bard! Luke Evans is an awesome actor and I know he'll do justice to the character.

"That my lad... was a dragon" - In my mind, the line that made the trailer! Which brings me on to Smaug. I didn't want to see him in the trailer. I'd sooner have seen him for the first time in the cinema so I could truly be blown away by his sheer awesomeness! That said, I wasn't completely disappointed, I think the fact that he was shadowed was good as it still left a lot to the imagination. The debates are in full flow as I speak, some positive, some negative, but at least it's not set in stone yet. Casting my mind back to the prologue of AUJ when you see the dragon storm in to Erebor crushing dwarves as he goes, his sheer might and size was incomprehensible!

Anyway, that's my opinion. As I said, I'm keen to hear others! Please don't be shy Smile

Subject User Time
Desolation of Smaug trailer - Opinions Thranduil05 Send a private message to Thranduil05 Jun 12 2013, 11:37pm
    Hello there! Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jun 13 2013, 12:04am
    My Opinion JWPlatt Jun 13 2013, 2:28am
    Luke Evans JWPlatt Jun 13 2013, 2:33am
    A mix. Loved some aspects, was lukewarm about others. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 13 2013, 3:37am
        2 cents Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Jun 13 2013, 11:37am
        I completely agree with all of this Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jun 13 2013, 1:32pm
            Happy to be in strong agreement and in such good company AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 14 2013, 5:27am
    Opinions continued... Thranduil05 Send a private message to Thranduil05 Jun 13 2013, 1:50pm
        With regard to locations Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jun 13 2013, 4:52pm
            Smaug Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Jun 14 2013, 4:20am
    Well IDLookout Send a private message to IDLookout Jun 14 2013, 10:22pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.