Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - June 4

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 4 2013, 1:38pm

Post #1 of 13 (293 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 4 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 4, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf searches out the path into the valley of Rivendell.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...they saw that the great mountains... ...and behind its shoulders the tips of snow-peaks gleamed.
..."Is that The Mountain?" asked Bilbo in a solemn voice, looking at it with round eyes. He had never seen a thing that looked so big before.
..."Of course not!" said Balin. "That is only the beginning of the Misty Mountains, and we have to get through... ...somehow before we can come into Wilderland beyond. And it is a deal of a way even from the other side of them to the Lonely Mountain in the East where Smaug lies on our treasure."
..."O!" said Bilbo, and just at that moment he felt more tired than he ever remembered feeling before. He was thinking once again of his comfortable chair before the fire in his favourite sitting-room in his hobbit-hole, and of the kettle singing. Not for the last time!

......Gandalf led the way. "We must not miss the road, or we shall be done for... ...We need food, for one thing, and rest in reasonable safety—also it is very necessary to tackle the Misty Mountains by the proper path, or else you will get lost in them, and have to come back and start at the beginning again (if you ever get back at all)."
......"You are come to the very edge of the Wild, as some of you may know. Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House. I sent a message by my friends, and we are expected."
......They were growing anxious, for they now saw that the house might be hidden almost anywhere between them and the mountains... ...Altogether it was a very slow business following the track even guided by Gandalf, who seemed to know his way about pretty well.

...His head and beard wagged this way and that as he looked for the stones... ...but they seemed no nearer to the end of the search when the day began to fail. Tea-time had long gone by, and it seemed supper-time would soon do the same. There were moths fluttering about, and the light became very dim, for the moon had not risen... ...They came to the edge of a steep fall in the ground so suddenly that Gandalf's horse nearly slipped down the slope.
..."Here it is at last!" he called, and the others gathered round him and looked over the edge... ...Their spirits rose as they went down and down... ...and there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream.
..."Hmmm! it smells like elves!" thought Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars. They were burning bright and blue. Just then there came a burst of song like laughter in the trees...

......They were elves of course. Soon Bilbo caught glimpses of them as the darkness deepened. He loved elves, though he seldom met them; but he was a little frightened of them too. Dwarves don't get on well with them. Even decent enough dwarves like Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think)...
..."...Well, well!" said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
..."Most astonishing wonderful!"
..."...You are a little out of your way," said the elf: "...We will set you right, but you had best get on foot, until you are over the bridge. Are you going to stay a bit and sing with us, or will you go straight on? Supper is preparing over there... ...I can smell the wood-fires for the cooking."
...Tired as he was, Bilbo would have liked to stay awhile. Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars, not if you care for such things. Also he would have liked to have a few private words with these people that seemed to know his name and all about him.... ...He thought their opinion of his adventure might be interesting. Elves know a lot and are wondrous folk for news, and know what is going on among the peoples of the land, as quick as water flows, or quicker...
......And so at last they all came to the Last Homely House, and found its doors flung wide."

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5 2013, 11:05am

Post #2 of 13 (106 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 5, 2941 (S.R. 1341)

1. The house of Elrond.

(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)

..."Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway. They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave. Bilbo would gladly have stopped there for ever and ever—even supposing a wish could have taken him right back to his hobbit-hole without trouble....

......The master of the house was an elf-friend—one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History, the wars of the evil goblins and the elves and the first men in the North. In those days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief.

...He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer. He comes into many tales, but his part in the story of Bilbo's great adventure is only a small one, though important.... ...His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 5 2013, 11:37am

Post #3 of 13 (86 views)
Shortcut
I love that description of Elrond! [In reply to] Can't Post

Venerable but kind as summer....Thanks Gramma! CoolAngelic

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2013, 10:19am

Post #4 of 13 (85 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 6, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo retrace their journey.
(determined from text)
..."At each point on the road Bilbo recalled the happenings and the words of a year ago—it seemed to him more like ten—so ... ...he quickly noted the place where the pony had fallen in the river, and they had turned aside for their nasty adventure with Tom and Bert and Bill.
...Not far from the road they found the gold of the trolls, which they had buried, still hidden and untouched. "I have enough to last me my time," said Bilbo, when they had dug it up. "You had better take this, Gandalf. I daresay you can find a use for it."
..."Indeed I can... ...But share and share alike! You may find you have more needs than you expect."
...So they put the gold in bags and slung them on the ponies.... ... After that their going was slower, for most of the time they walked. But the land was green and there was much grass through which the hobbit strolled along contentedly. He mopped his face with a red silk handkerchief—no! not a single one of his own had survived. He had borrowed this one from Elrond—for now June had brought summer, and the weather was bright and hot again."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7 2013, 9:42am

Post #5 of 13 (71 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf, Bilbo and the Company of Dwarves settle at Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...What do you imagine was going on in the Last Homely House of Rivendell? Thorin is not the only Dwarf present who may have an opinion of the Elves. Do you think Fili and Kili, the younger of the group, felt the same way as their elders? Did Gandalf keep company with Bilbo, Elrond, or Thorin? What was the reaction of the Elves to their visitors? There will be several days before there's any activity by the Fellowship or the Company... so here's your chance to offer a fanfic of what went on during Bilbo's first real experience with the Elves.

Here's one in a drabble:

Morning in Rivendell
...Bilbo woke to the feel of soft sun on his face. As if warm hands were drawing him from a deep, peaceful sleep. He didn't open his eyes right away. He was in bliss lying on a soft mattress with a lovely feather pillow. After miserable nights of camping and days of jogging along on ponies, he felt he could rest on this very spot for a week.
...His beautiful reverie was suddenly interrupted by a fragrance blending into his waking dream.
..."BREAKFAST!" He lept from his warm bed, dressed and chased the odour of hot food like a hound.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2013, 10:10am

Post #6 of 13 (70 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves amongst the Elves! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of this just a few days ago, wishing they had spent a bit more time there in the movie - it would have been fun to see more reactions! Laugh

Mmm, breakfast in Rivendell...I do love Bilbo's wistful look, as they hike away...

Here's a drabble I'd written a while back, pondering what kinds of activities would take place there:

~~~~~~~~~~

Fili and Kili delighted in the sunshine and air flowing through these rooms and outbuildings, quite unlike their underground dwellings. They peered into every opening, fascinated by the Elvish craftsmanship they found.

From one building they heard a distinct hammering. A smithy! Metalwork - they knew it well, and watched with fascination as the Elf wielded his tongs and hammer with skill. "You do excellent work!" said Fili.

He smiled broadly. "Praise from the praiseworthy! For you know, it was Dwarves who first taught this skill to Elves." Fili and Kili blushed with pride as he gave a slight bow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2013, 3:35am

Post #7 of 13 (59 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that is a recent TIME post, but it's definitely one that fits our look at comparisons of book to film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

..."By some curious chance one morning long ago in the quiet of the world... ...Bilbo Baggins was standing at his door after breakfast smoking an enormous long wooden pipe that reached nearly down to his woolly toes (neatly brushed)—Gandalf came by...
... ...All that the unsuspecting Bilbo saw that morning was an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which a white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots.
..."Good morning!' said Bilbo, and he meant it.... ...But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
..."What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
..."All of them at once... ...And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! There's no hurry, we have all the day before us!" Then Bilbo sat down on a seat... ...crossed his legs, and blew out a beautiful grey ring of smoke that sailed up into the air without breaking and floated away over The Hill.
..."Very pretty!" said Gandalf. "But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
..."I should think so... ...We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them,' said our Mr. Baggins... ...Then he took out his morning letters... ...pretending to take no more notice of the old man. He had decided that he was not quite his sort, and wanted him to go away. But the old man did not move. He stood leaning on his stick and gazing at the hobbit without saying anything, till Bilbo got quite uncomfortable and even a little cross.
..."Good morning... ...We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
..."What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.""
..."Not at all, not at all, my dear sir! Let me see, I don't think I know your name..?"

... "...I do know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!"
... "Gandalf, Gandalf... ...Not the man that used to make such particularly excellent fireworks! I remember those! Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Eve... ...I beg your pardon, but I had no idea you were still in business."
... "Where else should I be?" said the wizard. "All the same I am pleased to find you remember something about me. You seem to remember my fireworks kindly, at any rate, and that is not without hope..."
... "...I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you—and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it."
... "Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today. Good morning! But please come to tea—any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Come tomorrow! Good-bye!" With that the hobbit turned and scuttled inside his round green door, and shut it as quickly as he dared, not to seem rude. Wizards after all are wizards....

... "...Gandalf... ...was still standing outside the door, and laughing long but quietly. After a while he stepped up, and with the spike of his staff scratched a queer sign on the hobbit's beautiful green front-door. Then he strode away...."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2013, 3:40am

Post #8 of 13 (56 views)
Shortcut
Now, your drabble would be [In reply to] Can't Post

would be a perfect moment to see as a way the dwarves could appreciate the elves! I agree... more time watching the dwarves here would be wonderful to see. Maybe there will be some additional moments there in the eedvd!!! *twitch* It would be a great observation if even a few of the dwarves saw that the elves weren't the selfish traitors Thorin has always painted them to be.

I love your drabble! THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2013, 2:29pm

Post #9 of 13 (51 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

As we continue our Book Spoilers that have a look at how the Book was transformed for Jackson's film(s), the next several days will investigate how the Company and Quest were formed... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... "The next day [Bilbo] had almost forgotten about Gandalf. He did not remember things very well, unless he put them down on his Engagement Tablet: like this: Gandalf Tea Wednesday. Yesterday he had been too flustered to do anything of the kind.
... Just before tea-time there came a tremendous ring on the front-door bell, and then he remembered! He rushed and put on the kettle, and put out another cup and saucer, and an extra cake or two, and ran to the door.
... "I am so sorry to keep you waiting!" he was going to say, when he saw that it was not Gandalf at all. It was a dwarf... ...As soon as the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected...
... "...Dwalin at your service!" he said with a low bow.
... "Bilbo Baggins at yours!" said the hobbit, too surprised to ask any questions for the moment. When the silence that followed had become uncomfortable, he added: "I am just about to take tea; pray come and have some with me." A little stiff perhaps, but he meant it kindly. And what would you do, if an uninvited dwarf came and hung his things up in your hall without a word of explanation?
... They had not been at table long, in fact they had hardly reached the third cake, when there came another even louder ring at the bell.
... "Excuse me!" said the hobbit, and off he went to the door...
... ...there was a very old-looking dwarf on the step with a white beard and a scarlet hood: and he too hopped inside as soon as the door was open, just as if he had been invited... "...Balin at your service!" he said with his hand on his breast.
... "Thank you!" said Bilbo with a gasp... ...He liked visitors, but he liked to know them before they arrived, and he preferred to ask them himself. He had a horrible thought that the cakes might run short, and then he—as the host: he knew his duty and stuck to it however painful—he might have to go without.
... "Come along in, and have some tea!" he managed to say after taking a deep breath.
... "A little beer would suit me better, if it is all the same to you, my good sir," said Balin with the white beard. "But I don't mind some cake—seed-cake, if you have any..."
... ...Balin and Dwalin were talking at the table like old friends (as a matter of fact they were brothers)... ...when loud came a ring at the bell again, and then another ring.
... "Gandalf for certain this time," he thought as he puffed along the passage. But it was not. It was two more dwarves... ...each of them carried a bag of tools and a spade. In they hopped, as soon as the door began to open—Bilbo was hardly surprised at all.
... "What can I do for you, my dwarves?" he said.
... "Kili at your service!" said the one. "And Fili!" added the other; and they both... ...bowed.
... "At yours and your family's!" replied Bilbo, remembering his manners this time.
... "Dwalin and Balin here already, I see," said Kili. "Let us join the throng!"
... "Throng!" thought Mr. Baggins. "I don't like the sound of that. I really must sit down for a minute and collect my wits, and have a drink..." He had only just had a sip... ...when, ding-don-a-ling-dang, his bell rang again...
... "...Someone at the door!" he said, blinking... ...when there came—a loud knock. Not a ring, but a hard rat-tat on the hobbit's beautiful green door. Somebody was banging with a stick!... Bilbo rushed along the passage, very angry, and altogether bewildered and bewuthered... ...He pulled open the door with a jerk, and they all fell in, one on top of the other. More dwarves, four more! And there was Gandalf behind, leaning on his staff and laughing. He had made quite a dent on the beautiful door; he had also by the way, knocked out the secret mark that he had put there the morning before..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

mawguy
The Shire

Jun 12 2013, 9:10pm

Post #10 of 13 (55 views)
Shortcut
it's TIME! [In reply to] Can't Post

i've missed these--thank you for continuing the tradition, gramma! and hope you are well--i've been visiting the misty mountains and got lost on the way. :P

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2013, 11:33pm

Post #11 of 13 (43 views)
Shortcut
Hey - great to see you again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you can stick around for a while. We've got a movie to look forward to Wink

mawguy
The Shire

Jun 13 2013, 12:03am

Post #12 of 13 (42 views)
Shortcut
mae govannen! [In reply to] Can't Post

i will try! :D and yes, please, more bilbo!

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17 2013, 1:53am

Post #13 of 13 (49 views)
Shortcut
mawguy! *flying tackle-hug* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been rushing in and out so much, I've just spotted you! *waves madly* I'm so happy to see you... and THANKS! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.